HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs to honour Sundin next season

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Dagh

vCash: 500
The only thing management not wanting you on the team anymore means for a player with an NTC is that he will no longer play hockey for that team. For a player with no such clause, he will have to move out of town, to wherever management sells him. Different kinds of gone.

Old
03-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Vexed
Magic Marner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack23 View Post
Sorry, i do not understand your post.
I think the idea is that being off the team =/= moving cities and that most players who sign NTC's do so for personal reasons and not because they like the team they play for.

Old
03-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Dagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
I think the idea is that being off the team =/= moving cities and that most players who sign NTC's do so for personal reasons and not because they like the team they play for.
You win the post interpretation prize.

I'm of course not saying they only get the NTC to stay put with their families, they could well have other reasons as well, like wanting to finish the season with their teammates.

Old
03-30-2011, 08:50 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
I need to see this game

Old
03-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Dagh

Huh? Wrong thread?

Old
03-30-2011, 08:52 AM
vippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagh View Post
Huh? Wrong thread?
I guess you are talking to me, I need to see when he get's honored I could skip the game really.. but I really want to see him getting honored

Old
03-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Dagh

Oh, right, it was actually so much on topic that I confused it for a post that should have gone in the post game thread or something

No one's talking about the event at all for the last.. who knows how many pages. It's all about players' obligation not to ask for what their contract says they are entitled to.

Old
03-30-2011, 09:03 AM
vippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagh View Post
Oh, right, it was actually so much on topic that I confused it for a post that should have gone in the post game thread or something

No one's talking about the event at all for the last.. who knows how many pages. It's all about players' obligation not to ask for what their contract says they are entitled to.
Yeah I'm ignoring that. Such a shame people actually remembers him for that but but...

Old
03-30-2011, 09:11 AM
Dagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Yeah I'm ignoring that. Such a shame people actually remembers him for that but but...
Going by the sound at his home coming game with the Canucks, they're a minority. The massive media coverage around the time the whole mess went down might make them seem more numerous than they are though.

Old
03-30-2011, 10:39 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
Im not talking about the playoffs. Im not counting about deadline aquisitions like Ron Francis, Im comparing the 2004 regular season to the 2006 regular season. In 2006 we did not make the playoffs so its not a fair comparison.

If the rule changes hurt an "older crash and bang team" we should have been just fine based on all the old geezers who did not return.
If we had a goaltender we would have been.

I don't even know what you are trying to prove here.
Many of the "geezers" were replaced by "old NHL" type players.

The point's pretty basic, you're trying to show that the only difference between 04 and 06 was goaltending, I've shown massive changes in the roster during that span. You've simply ignored that a significant portion of the roster was changed and decided that didn't effect anything. I gave you playoff and regular season numbers, so you can't really claim rentals distorted the point.

Quote:
But the bottom line is that management had made their decision. Imlach thought that Sittler was slowing down. and never a great skater during his career, he was by then 30 years old. The only undisputable facts are (A) . that Ballard owned the leafs, and stupidly handed control over to Imlach ,who was not about to let anyone dictate his agenda .(B) Sittler had a no trade contract. (C) Sittler had gotten himself smack dab into the middle of a p---ing contest with a skunk, and a battle that he couldn't possibly win. From that point on it was never a question of IF ,but WHEN Sittler would be moved. Was it of more importance to Sittler to stand up to management while watching a dozen innocent teamates and their familys moved out ? obviously at the time he did. I was a huge fan of Sittlers at the time. But once those rediculious trades started happening i began to realize that i was more a Leaf fan than a Sittler fan. In hindsight i would have much prefered to see Sittler leave than have to watch what eventually turned this team into a sideshow .
Seems like the bottom line is that Management made some horrible decisions and decided to sacrafice the team they managed to make a statement and you're somehow blaming Sittler for it. It's like blaming a robbery victim for having too much money on them. Sittler can't be held accountable for management's stupidity.

Last edited by EazyB97: 03-30-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old
03-30-2011, 11:48 AM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Many of the "geezers" were replaced by "old NHL" type players.

The point's pretty basic, you're trying to show that the only difference between 04 and 06 was goaltending, I've shown massive changes in the roster during that span. You've simply ignored that a significant portion of the roster was changed and decided that didn't effect anything. I gave you playoff and regular season numbers, so you can't really claim rentals distorted the point.

Seems like the bottom line is that Management made some horrible decisions and decided to sacrafice the team they managed to make a statement and you're somehow blaming Sittler for it. It's like blaming a robbery victim for having too much money on them. Sittler can't be held accountable for management's stupidity.
Ballard was held accountable, Imlach was held accountable , all of Sittlers team mates, and three generations of Leaf fans were held accountable. But not one ounce of accountability to Sittler ? Guy ! you seriously need to turn down your love dial on these spoiled players.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Dagh

Sittler didn't hold up his end of his contract?

Old
03-30-2011, 12:30 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Ballard was held accountable, Imlach was held accountable , all of Sittlers team mates, and three generations of Leaf fans were held accountable. But not one ounce of accountability to Sittler ? Guy ! you seriously need to turn down your love dial on these spoiled players.
It isn't blind love it is the logical assumption that Sittler in no way wanted to be in that situation and there isn't any proof that I have ever seen that he deserved to be in it. "Bleeds Blue and White" is a cliche but that applies to Sittler if anyone.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:46 PM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
It isn't blind love it is the logical assumption that Sittler in no way wanted to be in that situation and there isn't any proof that I have ever seen that he deserved to be in it. "Bleeds Blue and White" is a cliche but that applies to Sittler if anyone.
Sittler just like Sundin, only blead one colour , GREEN !

Old
03-30-2011, 12:54 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
You're holding him accountable for the aftermath, which doesn't make any sense. He had the right to refuse a trade and chose to do so. Many view that single action as a positive, since he was such a strong player. Managements reaction to that was not his fault, so why would I blame him for Imlach and Ballard's stupidity?

Sittler's accountable for his play, just like his teammates. I have no idea why you would bring up the fans or his teammates though, it doesn't have any relation to our discussion.

Old
03-30-2011, 01:10 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
As compared to who?

Old
03-30-2011, 01:16 PM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
As compared to who?
As compared to Shack23, who I am sure is the equivalent to Mother Theresa...volunteers his spare time to serving homeless people at the soup kitchen after he gets off his full time job where he refuses to accept a raise because he is concerned with his company's bottom line. Then on weekends he, spends most of his time at the hospital for Sick Children reading stories to the unfortunate souls who are bed ridden. Then once he is done there he moves on to canvassing for the disaster funds in Haiti, New Zealand and Japan.

Its hard to find people like him...people who are not swayed by the almighty dollar like those evil former captains...Mats Sundin and Darryl Sittler.

Old
03-30-2011, 01:34 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
As compared to who?
I always thought Sundin could have left for more money during his time. Sure he made a lot but he could have made more.

Old
03-30-2011, 01:37 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I always thought Sundin could have left for more money during his time. Sure he made a lot but he could have made more.
Sundin could have made that money anywhere. I remember that when he signed his big deal it was just after the Flyers gave John Leclair $9 million a year and there was no justification for giving him less.

Old
03-30-2011, 01:42 PM
EazyB97

When he signed in Vancouver they had a 2 year, $20 million offer on the table, but he turned it down and signed for less. Odd choice for a money driven player like Sundin to make.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:00 PM
TheArchitect*

Quote:
You're just straight up talking out of your ass. Did Sittler **** your girlfriend or something?

Both Sundin and Sittler bled blue and white, Sittler still does after how he was treated! That's saying something to his dedication to the hockey club. He was treated like **** and anyone who says otherwise has some sort of Glenn Healy-esque bias.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
If only it were soon and we could make a bet that if Sundin is inducted you agree to leave.
The only way Sundin ever gets into the HOF, it will be because he bought a ticket like everyone else.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:26 PM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
As compared to Shack23, who I am sure is the equivalent to Mother Theresa...volunteers his spare time to serving homeless people at the soup kitchen after he gets off his full time job where he refuses to accept a raise because he is concerned with his company's bottom line. Then on weekends he, spends most of his time at the hospital for Sick Children reading stories to the unfortunate souls who are bed ridden. Then once he is done there he moves on to canvassing for the disaster funds in Haiti, New Zealand and Japan.

Its hard to find people like him...people who are not swayed by the almighty dollar like those evil former captains...Mats Sundin and Darryl Sittler.
Young Jedi ! One more post with words and absolutely no substance.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:44 PM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Please tell me how in the hell Sundin could have made more money with another team ? Do none of you understand what being the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs means financially ? The biggest hockey market in the world. I am sure that what ever he was paid by the Leafs was a pittance compared to the outside endorsement deals that he had going on. Would he have had that ugly mug posted all over magazines and t.v. if he had played with the St Louis. Blues or the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Vexed
Magic Marner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
The only way Sundin ever gets into the HOF, it will be because he bought a ticket like everyone else.
you know what nvm....

Closed Thread