HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs to honour Sundin next season

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2011, 05:31 PM
shack23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
You're just straight up talking out of your ass. Did Sittler **** your girlfriend or something?

Both Sundin and Sittler bled blue and white, Sittler still does after how he was treated! That's saying something to his dedication to the hockey club. He was treated like **** and anyone who says otherwise has some sort of Glenn Healy-esque bias.
Is that right? Here's a direct quote from Sittlers autobiography.Jim Develano G.M. of the Red Wings ( The more we tried to play him the more i realized that it was over. He couldn't penetrate, he couldn't go by anybody. I couldn't use him and he would come into my office yelling and screaming, asking why i wasn't playing him. What it came down to was he had to be a good guy. We didn't want him complaining to the media trying to cause problems. He said thai i couldn't communicate. Communication with Darryl Sittler was giving him exactly what he wanted. He was not a good team player )" Here's one from Ed Sneider owner of the Flyers. ( Before he arrived Bobby Clarke thought that Darryl was a better all around player than he was. Everyone was surprised that Darryl was basically a shooter and was sort of a one dimensional guy ) Does this sound like a dedicated player to you ? Boy, the Toronto media paints these guys as Gods and the masses foolishly follow.

Old
03-30-2011, 06:40 PM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
The only way Sundin ever gets into the HOF, it will be because he bought a ticket like everyone else.
HOT DAM SAM SLICK. Just noticed your post a few minutes ago, has it been deleted? That was an absolutely brilliant explanation of why Sundin should not be honoured, let alone be inducted into the Hall Of Fame. I can not for the life of me understand why Sundin fans can not step back and take a look at the TRUTH. None of them want to be bothered with documented facts or statistics.Its like trying to talk to individual bricks in the wall.

Old
03-30-2011, 08:00 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
The only way Sundin ever gets into the HOF, it will be because he bought a ticket like everyone else.
Are you the famous Sam Slick (aka Max Napster) of the (in)famous +/- debacle?

You're getting quite a reputation here... but not for the good reasons.

I also saw your (plagiarized) post about why Sundin would not get to the HOF.

Seriously...

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but seriously...

Old
03-30-2011, 08:04 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack23 View Post
HOT DAM SAM SLICK. Just noticed your post a few minutes ago, has it been deleted? That was an absolutely brilliant explanation of why Sundin should not be honoured, let alone be inducted into the Hall Of Fame. I can not for the life of me understand why Sundin fans can not step back and take a look at the TRUTH. None of them want to be bothered with documented facts or statistics.Its like trying to talk to individual bricks in the wall.
You probably meant the one he plagiarized without giving credit to the author (unless his real name is Dave Deibert).

Old
03-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
hahahahahaha

and I was never a huge Sundin fan

Old
03-31-2011, 04:15 AM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
You probably meant the one he plagiarized without giving credit to the author (unless his real name is Dave Deibert).
Thanks, but i'm quite awair of who wrote this article. Dosen't change a thing. Thank you both Sam Slick and Dave Deibert .

Old
03-31-2011, 07:35 AM
FrozenJagrt

The biggest knocks against Sundin regarding the Hall of Fame are that he never won a cup and never won major awards. The same can be said of Darryl Sittler, and he's sitting in the Hall. Sundin has the numbers, he has his records, he has the gold and he has one of the best international resumes of any player. I guarantee, 100%, Sundin will be in the Hall.

The biggest knocks against him having his number raised are... he left the team under bad circumstances? Please. He's been one of the better captains in modern Leafs history. Sittler let his feud with ownership get in the way, ditto for Keon. Gilmour demanded a trade. Sundin refused a trade and is a villain for his loyalty. Figure that one out.

And hey, wouldn't it be something if he got in before Gilmour? Guts will be busted.

Old
03-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
The biggest knocks against Sundin regarding the Hall of Fame are that he never won a cup and never won major awards. The same can be said of Darryl Sittler, and he's sitting in the Hall. Sundin has the numbers, he has his records, he has the gold and he has one of the best international resumes of any player. I guarantee, 100%, Sundin will be in the Hall.

The biggest knocks against him having his number raised are... he left the team under bad circumstances? Please. He's been one of the better captains in modern Leafs history. Sittler let his feud with ownership get in the way, ditto for Keon. Gilmour demanded a trade. Sundin refused a trade and is a villain for his loyalty. Figure that one out.

And hey, wouldn't it be something if he got in before Gilmour? Guts will be busted.
Sundin is the best swedish player of all time. Homers think the HHOF is the NHLHOF

Old
03-31-2011, 08:00 AM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
Sundin is the best swedish player of all time. Homers think the HHOF is the NHLHOF
No, he really isn't. Lidstrom, Forsberg and Salming were all (in my opinion), better than Sundin. Lidstrom and Forsberg are obvious, some might argue against Salming. But really, he was the third or fourth best defenseman of his generation (playing behind Orr and Robinson). He was that good defensively, he had a warrior mentality, and may have been one of the toughest SOBs to play the game. And he certainly wasn't bad offensively.

K fine, he was behind Potvin too

Anywho, yeah, Sundin's great. But not the greatest.

Old
03-31-2011, 08:49 AM
TheArchitect*

Quote:
Is that right? Here's a direct quote from Sittlers autobiography.Jim Develano G.M. of the Red Wings ( The more we tried to play him the more i realized that it was over. He couldn't penetrate, he couldn't go by anybody. I couldn't use him and he would come into my office yelling and screaming, asking why i wasn't playing him. What it came down to was he had to be a good guy. We didn't want him complaining to the media trying to cause problems. He said thai i couldn't communicate. Communication with Darryl Sittler was giving him exactly what he wanted. He was not a good team player )" Here's one from Ed Sneider owner of the Flyers. ( Before he arrived Bobby Clarke thought that Darryl was a better all around player than he was. Everyone was surprised that Darryl was basically a shooter and was sort of a one dimensional guy ) Does this sound like a dedicated player to you ? Boy, the Toronto media paints these guys as Gods and the masses foolishly follow.
Yes, what a surprise that after showing all the dedication he did tot he Leafs and got treated the way he did, he kinda lost the dedication to other teams.. Anyone with a brain knows how he was with the Leafs.

Are you a hipster? Cause you seem to be against the "mainstream" fan favourites. You also seem to be ignoring the fact that both Sittler and Sundin wanted to retire a Maple Leaf, and your bronze god Gilmour asked to be traded. So which one is the selfish one? (Obviously Sittler and Sundin)

Old
03-31-2011, 09:16 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
No, he really isn't. Lidstrom, Forsberg and Salming were all (in my opinion), better than Sundin. Lidstrom and Forsberg are obvious, some might argue against Salming. But really, he was the third or fourth best defenseman of his generation (playing behind Orr and Robinson). He was that good defensively, he had a warrior mentality, and may have been one of the toughest SOBs to play the game. And he certainly wasn't bad offensively.

K fine, he was behind Potvin too

Anywho, yeah, Sundin's great. But not the greatest.
I love Mats and definitely believe he deserves being honored and a place in the HHOF...without question but the best Swede ever? NO way...I agree...I put Lidstrom waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of Mats. Not sure about Forsberg...if he had played more games then yeah but he was made of glass unlike Mats who was a horse so I can't give Forsberg the nod ahead of Mats. Salming is my all-time favorite hockey player as expressed by in my Avatar. Loved the guy and I disagree that he was behind all those guys you listed with the exception of Bobby Orr.

Salming was the first Swede to play in NA and probably one of the first Euros...not sure maybe he was the first. IMO, he would have won a Norris or two had he been Canadian or at least American. I think the bigotry against Euros was way more pronounced back then than it is now as the league is littered with European players.

Remember Chicken Swede was his nickname given to him by the BroadStreet Bullies who would target Salming and try to intimidate him. He was as tough as nails....wasn't a fighter but he could take anything dished out to him..it just elevated his game. He was an offensively gifted defenceman and one the best defensive defencemen in hockey. I like to call him the greatest defenceman ever to NOT win the Norris Trophy.

My Swedes in order are:
Lidstrom (a league of his own)

Salming
SUNDIN
Forsberg

Of course the today's Swedes are pretty good too and deserve accolades...Sedins, Alfreddson, Lundqvist etc...

Old
03-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Vexxed14

I should clarify that I was speaking statistically and also that I understand that each position cannot be accurately compared in that fashion. Yes, Lidstrom is more accomplished. My point was that no player from Sweden has more goals and points which I guess I could have just said lol

Old
03-31-2011, 10:34 AM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Yes, what a surprise that after showing all the dedication he did tot he Leafs and got treated the way he did, he kinda lost the dedication to other teams.. Anyone with a brain knows how he was with the Leafs.

Are you a hipster? Cause you seem to be against the "mainstream" fan favourites. You also seem to be ignoring the fact that both Sittler and Sundin wanted to retire a Maple Leaf, and your bronze god Gilmour asked to be traded. So which one is the selfish one? (Obviously Sittler and Sundin)
Good morning Young Jedi. Nope.. Just trying to let you see how three evil general managers couldn't get along with Little Boy Blue. If you mean favourites as in " point scorers " than yes i do have a problem with them. Bottom line... Both could have moved a hell of a lot faster out of Toronto and given us a much better return for their services. I Love the Maple Leafs, and i want to see them do well. I dont give a rats ass when they cry "ooooh poor me.'' They both knew that they had to leave, but they both stalled untill we got nothing in return. As a fan , i dont care what problems they had with Leaf management, i have no control over that. I just want to be able to grab a beer, sit on my coach, turn on the tube and be entertained by some good hockey. Who gives a **** if they wanted to retire a Maple Leaf, Im sure that they would, what with all the extra bucks playing in Toronto entails.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Dagh

vCash: 987
Wasn't so much "poor me", it was more of a "hey, look what my contract states, guess the joke's on you guys".

Old
03-31-2011, 10:45 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Please tell me how in the hell Sundin could have made more money with another team ? Do none of you understand what being the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs means financially ? The biggest hockey market in the world. I am sure that what ever he was paid by the Leafs was a pittance compared to the outside endorsement deals that he had going on. Would he have had that ugly mug posted all over magazines and t.v. if he had played with the St Louis. Blues or the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Rick Nash is currently TPS' main endorser, he's on a significant amount of UnderArmour adds and was NHL 2K9's coverboy. These are just the ones we see in the GTA, they don't include many local adds or in-game advertisements. I'm betting Sundin would've done okay there.

Also funny you think these guys were the ones offering huge cash, he left 13-15 million on the table from Vancouver and Montreal was another team very interested in him. Not much endorsement money in those areas though.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:03 PM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagh View Post
Wasn't so much "poor me", it was more of a "hey, look what my contract states, guess the joke's on you guys".
Your right there Dagh , The joke WAS on us.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:05 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
written by a 10 year old

Old
03-31-2011, 12:07 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
written by a 10 year old
Too much credit.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:04 PM
shack23

Quote:

Sittler is sitting in the hall of fame because of good buddy Alan Eagleson. Darryl and Eagleson were great buddies from the early days. Darryl was vice president of the N.H.L.P.A. for a lot of years and continued his support of Eagleson long after he was done playing , and to this day considers him one of his best friends. Thats one of the biggest reasons why Punch Imlach could never warm up to Sittler, He thought that Eagleson was a control freak and a theif. Guess Punch's opinion of Eagleson was all wrong too eh ? Eagleson made sure that both he, and Sittler were inducted together in 1989 just before the **** hit the fan.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:10 PM
EazyB97

Looks like Harold Ballard's ghost here has done an excellent job of trolling this thread.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:14 PM
TheArchitect*

Quote:
Sittler is sitting in the hall of fame because of good buddy Alan Eagleson. Darryl and Eagleson were great buddies from the early days. Darryl was vice president of the N.H.L.P.A. for a lot of years and continued his support of Eagleson long after he was done playing , and to this day considers him one of his best friends. Thats one of the biggest reasons why Punch Imlach could never warm up to Sittler, He thought that Eagleson was a control freak and a theif. Guess Punch's opinion of Eagleson was all wrong too eh ? Eagleson made sure that both he, and Sittler were inducted together in 1989 just before the **** hit the fan.

You know Sittler was one of the former players who campaigned to have Eagleson kicked out of the HHOF right? Along with Orr.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:22 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Darryl Sittler was one of the players who threatened to resign from the HHOF if Eagleson wasn't removed after his convictions.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Not sure about Forsberg...if he had played more games then yeah but he was made of glass unlike Mats who was a horse so I can't give Forsberg the nod ahead of Mats.
I guess Salming is better than Orr, I mean Orr's knee was made of glass right?

Take off the homer glasses, Forsberg was clearly better than Sundin.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:57 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendelBrown View Post

The ironic part is that most Leafs fans believe Forsberg, Lidstrom and Salming were all better, but it's always the media that states Sundin is known as the best player in Sweden (implying it's from their supporters/county). It used to come up all the time on broadcasts of International games.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:58 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendelBrown View Post

Learn how to read...I said I disagreed that Salming wasn't as good as the guys listed..... with the exception of Bobby Orr...who to me is the greatest player to ever lace up skates. I also said had Forsberg played anywhere near the amount of games Sundin played...I'd give it to Forsberg but....he was often injured....

Forsberg
708gp 249g 636a 885pts

Mats
1346gp 564g 785a 1349pts

Uh huh....Peter Forsberg's numbers are more impressive aren't they? How the hell do you think Gordie Howe became the legend that he is? From playing a billion games dude....you are not much use to a team when you are injured for half the season all the time.....which is why Wendel Clark is not regarded as anything special other than by Leaf fans (myself included). I stay with my original post...Mats was the better player.

Closed Thread