HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs to honour Sundin next season

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2011, 03:45 PM
LeafsFan2414

vCash: 500
This is gonna be a night to remember. Sundin was my favourite hockey player growing up and was captain for most of my life. Anyone watching the Leafs in the late 90s to early 2000s should be excited cause he was one of the best hockey players to never win a cup.

Old
03-31-2011, 03:54 PM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Darryl Sittler was one of the players who threatened to resign from the HHOF if Eagleson wasn't removed after his convictions.
If that is true, something bigger happened between the two that i don't know about. As a matter of fact ,i believe i remember Sittler writing a statement to the courts trying to protect his honour. But for sure I'll eat my words and apologize if that is not the case. Get back to ya Slick.

Old
03-31-2011, 04:00 PM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Too much credit.
See ? you can move your fingers without name calling.

Old
03-31-2011, 05:30 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
The ironic part is that most Leafs fans believe Forsberg, Lidstrom and Salming were all better, but it's always the media that states Sundin is known as the best player in Sweden (implying it's from their supporters/county). It used to come up all the time on broadcasts of International games.
Sundin is definitely an icon in Sweden, probably the most revered player there (from what I've heard, seen and read). Part of that is to do with his unreal international record. I'm not sure people realize just how good he was internationally.

However, that doesn't make him the best Swede (as I'm sure you know). He's like Sweden's Wendel Clark. Clark was never the best Leaf, but he's certainly one of, if not the most beloved.

Old
03-31-2011, 06:43 PM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Darryl Sittler was one of the players who threatened to resign from the HHOF if Eagleson wasn't removed after his convictions.
Sorry Moose, ya gotta do better than the Wiki page for your info, a chimp could change that thing around. Here's a little something else i pulled out of my ass. Google ( c.b.c. the National '' Eagleson pleads guilty January 6 1998) at the right of the video click '' did you know ". QUOTE, In a bid for leniency, the court was presented with written testimonials from 30 Eagleson supporters including hockey legends Darryl Sittler, Paul Henderson and Bobby Clarke. As well as former Prime Minister John Turner and former Chief Justice Willard Estey. They vouched for " his good character" , reminding the court that he had " served in office '' as a politician END QUOTE. Well Well, Little Boy blue must be held in high esteem from the players who REALLY threatened to leave the hall because of Eagleson. Anyway, away you go. I gotta a game to watch. Wooooooooo Leafs 1 Bruins 0. '' Go Leafs Go. '

Old
03-31-2011, 07:38 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack23 View Post
(...) I just want to be able to grab a beer, sit on my coach, turn on the tube and be entertained by some good hockey. Who gives a **** if they wanted to retire a Maple Leaf, Im sure that they would, what with all the extra bucks playing in Toronto entails.
Sit on your coach...?

Are you coming out of the closet?

Old
04-01-2011, 02:31 AM
MickKaine

Very well deserved. Sundin holds a ton of Leafs records and was captain for over a decade, leading Leaf scorer during nearly that entire time.

Old
04-01-2011, 03:50 AM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Sit on your coach...?

Are you coming out of the closet?
Sorey, forgut two use mi spel chekker

Old
04-01-2011, 04:04 AM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan2414 View Post
This is gonna be a night to remember. Sundin was my favourite hockey player growing up and was captain for most of my life. Anyone watching the Leafs in the late 90s to early 2000s should be excited cause he was one of the best hockey players to never win a cup.
He was also one of the best players never to climb Mount Everest. Should i be excited for that as well ?

Old
04-01-2011, 04:52 AM
shack23

Quote:
Learn how to read...I said I disagreed that Salming wasn't as good as the guys listed..... with the exception of Bobby Orr...who to me is the greatest player to ever lace up skates. I also said had Forsberg played anywhere near the amount of games Sundin played...I'd give it to Forsberg but....he was often injured....

Forsberg
708gp 249g 636a 885pts

Mats
1346gp 564g 785a 1349pts

Uh huh....Peter Forsberg's numbers are more impressive aren't they? How the hell do you think Gordie Howe became the legend that he is? From playing a billion games dude....you are not much use to a team when you are injured for half the season all the time.....which is why Wendel Clark is not regarded as anything special other than by Leaf fans (myself included). I stay with my original post...Mats was the better player.
Huh ? How did Gordie Howe become such a legend? i cant wait for each and every one of your posts, they complete my day. Just pulling this out of my ass, but maybe because Howe was the league scoring leader for thirty years . Oh yea he also won six Art Ross and six Hart Trophys along with four Stanley Cups. Not to mention playing in 23 N.H.L. all star games. But i guess even Sundin could do that if he had played a " Billion'" games.

Old
04-01-2011, 04:57 AM
Dagh

vCash: 987
Quote:
Just pulling this out of my ass
Have you considered making that your signature at this forum?

Old
04-01-2011, 08:11 AM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagh View Post
Have you considered making that your signature at this forum?
Well considering that three different posters have used that very same term to describe my posts , i just may. Tell ya what, you throw in that clown avitar of Sundin and we got a deal

Old
04-01-2011, 08:12 AM
TheArchitect*

I think Sundin and Sittler had a devil's 3some with shack23's girlfriend.

Only way someone can show this much blind bias towards 2 of the best and most favourite players and captains of this storied franchise.

Old
04-01-2011, 08:44 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
See ? you can move your fingers without name calling.
Too bad you can't move your fingers without spewing diarrhea out of your cake hole. Don't you ever tire of your own inane rants that make about as much sense as listening to Ozzy Osbourne talk about nuclear physics?

Old
04-01-2011, 08:54 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Huh ? How did Gordie Howe become such a legend? i cant wait for each and every one of your posts, they complete my day. Just pulling this out of my ass, but maybe because Howe was the league scoring leader for thirty years . Oh yea he also won six Art Ross and six Hart Trophys along with four Stanley Cups. Not to mention playing in 23 N.H.L. all star games. But i guess even Sundin could do that if he had played a " Billion'" games.
Sure.....Howe would have racked up all those great accolades had it not been for his 26 NHL seasons (most of which were played in a 6 team league)....I'm not saying he wasn't great but his biggest accomplishments were due to the fact that he played in 26 NHL seasons and was the only player to play into his 50s and he played on a team with his two SONS....not diminishing his greatness...just sayin...Most of his records points/goals etc..were due to the fact that he played for so long. His PPG were not much more than 1PPG whether playoff or regular season. He was one of the greatest players ever...but largely due to the fact that he played for so long. Had he played as many games as say Peter Forsberg, I doubt he would have been such a legend.

I guess its a hard concept for you to comprehend.

Old
04-01-2011, 09:08 AM
shack23

Quote:
Sure.....Howe would have racked up all those great accolades had it not been for his 26 NHL seasons (most of which were played in a 6 team league)....I'm not saying he wasn't great but his biggest accomplishments were due to the fact that he played in 26 NHL seasons and was the only player to play into his 50s and he played on a team with his two SONS....not diminishing his greatness...just sayin...Most of his records points/goals etc..were due to the fact that he played for so long. His PPG were not much more than 1PPG whether playoff or regular season. He was one of the greatest players ever...but largely due to the fact that he played for so long. Had he played as many games as say Peter Forsberg, I doubt he would have been such a legend.

I guess its a hard concept for you to comprehend.
Now, what you need to do is slowley back away from the keyboard and have a good look at what you have just written. Seriously young Jedi, you never seem to disappoint. Where are Mats Art Ross and Hart trophies ? where the hell are my Stanley Cups ?

Old
04-01-2011, 09:16 AM
TheArchitect*

Quote:
Now, what you need to do is slowley back away from the keyboard and have a good look at what you have just written. Seriously young Jedi, you never seem to disappoint. Where are Mats Art Ross and Hart trophies ? where the hell are my Stanley Cups ?
Howe Played with Abel and Lindsay.

Sundin played with Jonas Hoglund and (insert non-elite winger here).

Old
04-01-2011, 09:22 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Sorry Moose, ya gotta do better than the Wiki page for your info, a chimp could change that thing around. Here's a little something else i pulled out of my ass. Google ( c.b.c. the National '' Eagleson pleads guilty January 6 1998) at the right of the video click '' did you know ". QUOTE, In a bid for leniency, the court was presented with written testimonials from 30 Eagleson supporters including hockey legends Darryl Sittler, Paul Henderson and Bobby Clarke. As well as former Prime Minister John Turner and former Chief Justice Willard Estey. They vouched for " his good character" , reminding the court that he had " served in office '' as a politician END QUOTE. Well Well, Little Boy blue must be held in high esteem from the players who REALLY threatened to leave the hall because of Eagleson. Anyway, away you go. I gotta a game to watch. Wooooooooo Leafs 1 Bruins 0. '' Go Leafs Go. '
Okay, carry on with your pointless and off topic ravings.

Old
04-01-2011, 09:34 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
So your problem with Sundin is he didn't defend Eagleson?

Old
04-01-2011, 09:46 AM
northstarnicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post

Great point. Somehow shack23 can't see that. In fact, many of the Sundin haters can't see this. How many cups did Gilmour, Clark, Salming, McDonald or Sittler win in Toronto? They were all great players and are quite deserving of any accolades they get. So is Sundin. Just look at the stats. I for one am NOT a big Sundin lover. I am a passionate Maple Leafs fan. Anyway, Sundin was a centerman. Wasn't Gilmour traded for to help bring a cup to Toronto? Was he a failure because it didn't happen? Who had more talented linemates...Gilmour or Sundin? Just look how great Sundin was internationally when he had very talented wingers. Oh well, I for one can see his greatness in many ways..STATS, guts and a love of the Maple Leafs. Also thankfully, so can the wide majority of the fans who actually know the game.

It's strange really that others can't see the forest through their own hate. Actually, more sad then strange.

Last edited by northstarnicky: 04-01-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old
04-01-2011, 10:09 AM
shack23

Quote:
I think Sundin and Sittler had a devil's 3some with shack23's girlfriend.

Only way someone can show this much blind bias towards 2 of the best and most favourite players and captains of this storied franchise.
Now, as for you Mr. The Fartitech, i believe that you were the very first one to say that Little Boy Blue had stood tall with his fellow Hall of Fame players. Did you even go to the sight i provided to show that Sittler actually stood beside, and tried to protect Eagleson ? Or did C.B.C. make all of that up just to shake you out of your warm, fuzzy place ? Yea Sittlers some great leader, Eagleson gives him an undeserving free pass to the Hall of fame, and he turns around and poops in the players face who actually deserved to be in there. I don't know how this guy can even show his face around those old players that were ripped off by Eagleson. And rest assured that your not gonna slip some Bull **** story like that past me.

Old
04-01-2011, 10:22 AM
shack23

Quote:

MOGILNEY

Old
04-01-2011, 10:37 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
MOGILNEY
Good point, Mogilny spent 3 seasons with the Leafs in that span Sundin was selected as the 2nd best centre in the game twice (2nd team all-star). See,s like Mats knew how to elevate his game with good linemates.

Old
04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
shack23

Quote:

God i can't believe im seeing this, are you actually comparing Sundin to Howe ? Isn't it a little early to be drinking?

Old
04-01-2011, 10:51 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
You are a piece of work...different eras completely...you cannot compare Hull/Howe/Lindsay...any of the original 6 players with modern day players...you cannot. There really is nothing to compare. The game is different big time...there are 30 teams and NOT 6...the rules have drastically changed...the equipment has changed...Mats had no Art Ross or Hart Trophies but many great players never won those trophies......Stanley Cups? Has nothing to do with individuals...it really is a team award....can't you comprehend that?

Are you telling me that Chris Osgood is every bit as good as Martin Broduer because they won the same amount of Cups? John Madden has won 3 Stanley Cups..so does that mean he is a better hockey player than Marcel Dionne...Mats Sundin...Joe Sakic etc...? Of course not...stop being such a blowhard. Its stinkin up the joint.

Closed Thread