HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs to honour Sundin next season

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2011, 01:29 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
He's retiring Dec. 31, 2011... sounds to me like Peddie will still be there for this ceremony.

Should be a great night.
Interesting timing. Sounds iffy to me whether Peddie will be there that night. Unless Peddie is doing the search.

Quote:
His retirement plans were announced in a news release issued Tuesday, with the 63-year-old executive due to step down on Dec. 31, 2011, or sooner. A search committee has been struck to find a replacement.
link

Old
03-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Touche, I suppose he might go sooner. Anyhow, I doubt it has any baring on the decision, IMO. 3 years is just the right amount of time.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Old
03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
HappyGilmourr

Mats Sundin was my favorite player, and my only favorite player really. Great captain that did his talking on the ice... We were always a competitive team around him even though we never won a cup. I've never really had a favorite player since he left.

Old
03-25-2011, 02:21 AM
shack23

Oh yes, absolutely. here's an idea, lets honour him at the left face off circle instead of centre ice. Considering that's where he spent most of his last season here picking cherries from Kaberle passes. The Leafs have moved on, young leaders are beginning to emerge and are trying to make us forget the culture that used to exist here. Let this young team find itself first. Dragging Sundins old ass back here will be too much of a distraction for a team of 20 to 25 year olds. If someday down the road you still want do something for him, fine. But the foreseeable future is way too early. If you do hang his sweater please do so in the A.C.C. washrooms, his number hanging next to Clark, Gilmour and Keons would be nothing short of sacrilege.

Old
03-25-2011, 02:46 AM
pickincherries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack23 View Post
Oh yes, absolutely. here's an idea, lets honour him at the left face off circle instead of centre ice. Considering that's where he spent most of his last season here picking cherries from Kaberle passes. The Leafs have moved on, young leaders are beginning to emerge and are trying to make us forget the culture that used to exist here. Let this young team find itself first. Dragging Sundins old ass back here will be too much of a distraction for a team of 20 to 25 year olds. If someday down the road you still want do something for him, fine. But the foreseeable future is way too early. If you do hang his sweater please do so in the A.C.C. washrooms, his number hanging next to Clark, Gilmour and Keons would be nothing short of sacrilege.
lol u mad bro?

I don't get some people. Yes one of the greatest Leafs ever let's hang his sweater in the washroom, maybe on the tp roll.

Old
03-25-2011, 02:56 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well, first of all, Keon's number does not hang in the ACC. The old man is too bitter and puts his feud with the Leafs management before his fans who would love to see him honored.

As for Clark, well, he was loved in Toronto but I've always considered him more of a local favorite (like Trevor Linden or Ken Daneyko) who was loved by Leafs fans but really wasan't a star.

And Doug Gilmour had a few good years in Toronto and then asked to be traded away. Only in Leafs nation, will you find fans who love a guy who played a few years and then wanted out and dispaarage the team's leading scorer who didn't want to leave.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Davey, Wendel, and Dougie like most Leaf fans, but they are not without their flaws. So even if consider Mats flawed for the way he left the team, I think he still more than deserves to have his number honored.

Old
03-25-2011, 03:04 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
At their best, I liked both players but players like Tucker and Domi getting sweater ceremonies would be an embarrassment for a 95 year old sports organization with 13 Stanley Cups. That's the stuff of expansion franchises trying to create franchise history.
At some point in the future, the Leafs will have some kind of small ceremony to pay tribute to the team that go the most points in a Leafs sesaon and that will likely include Domi and Tucker. Plus, if the Leafs bring back lots of old players to celebrate their centennial in 2017 like Montreal did for theirs. I would not be surprised to see Domi and Tucker among those present.

Old
03-25-2011, 03:06 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Yes..I agree as well. Vaive played on some pretty lousy Leaf teams but can you name another TML in its long rich history with 3 consecutive 50 goal seasons? Nope. In fact there hasn't been many 50 goal scorers for even one season. I can think of Andreychuk and Leeman but that's about it.

Its really kind of strange considering how long the Leafs have been around.
To be hones, Mahovlich's 48 goals in the early 60s is probably a bigger accomplishment than the 50 goal seasons of those guys who did it in an era where 50 goals was not uncommon.

Old
03-25-2011, 03:11 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC3 View Post
Ya, who knows how long professional hockey might go for?? They might go one day 100-200 years from now, all players will wear numbers in the 60s or 70s cause all the other numbers have been retired.

Stick with the honoured numbers policy, it lets us build on the legacy of each number.

7- Tim Horton, King Clancy, Gary Roberts

And to a poster who said Wilson doesnt let honoured numbers be wore, not exactly true. No.4, 9, have been wore by Finger and Armstrong
I'd add Lanny McDonald to the honoured #7s long before Gary Roberts but that may just be me.

Old
03-25-2011, 03:24 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
he should be considered for hall of fame. but he won no cup so maybe not. but i hope he makes it
Not winning a Stanley Cup didn't stop guys like Borje Salming, Darryl Sittler, Marcel Dionne, Brad Park, Jean Ratelle, Pat LaFontaine, Mike Gartner, and others from making the Hall of Fame.

Old
03-25-2011, 11:04 AM
crediblepest
Bern-YAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Well, first of all, Keon's number does not hang in the ACC. The old man is too bitter and puts his feud with the Leafs management before his fans who would love to see him honored.

As for Clark, well, he was loved in Toronto but I've always considered him more of a local favorite (like Trevor Linden or Ken Daneyko) who was loved by Leafs fans but really wasan't a star.

And Doug Gilmour had a few good years in Toronto and then asked to be traded away. Only in Leafs nation, will you find fans who love a guy who played a few years and then wanted out and dispaarage the team's leading scorer who didn't want to leave.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Davey, Wendel, and Dougie like most Leaf fans, but they are not without their flaws. So even if consider Mats flawed for the way he left the team, I think he still more than deserves to have his number honored.
Amazing post sir. Great response to obvious troll.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:34 PM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by crediblepest View Post
Amazing post sir. Great response to obvious troll.
Amazing post yourself sir,.well thought out response. Am i considered a troll because my opinion of Sundin differs from yours ? I just finished reading 5 pages of posts from people who have a curious man love for Mats. I agree that he was a very good player, but it ended badly. And i for one am in no hurry to see his face again. Mats played for the Leafs, he was payed a lot of money to do so. He never went out his way to do anything more than he was paid to do. I feel that the Leafs owe him nothing more. Let the Canucks retire his sweater. I would prefer that he retires a Canuck and will represent them in the Hall of fame . If you have read all of the other Sundin post you would know that i am not the only one that feels this way.

Old
03-25-2011, 01:03 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Amazing post yourself sir,.well thought out response. Am i considered a troll because my opinion of Sundin differs from yours ? I just finished reading 5 pages of posts from people who have a curious man love for Mats. I agree that he was a very good player, but it ended badly. And i for one am in no hurry to see his face again. Mats played for the Leafs, he was payed a lot of money to do so. He never went out his way to do anything more than he was paid to do. I feel that the Leafs owe him nothing more. Let the Canucks retire his sweater. I would prefer that he retires a Canuck and will represent them in the Hall of fame . If you have read all of the other Sundin post you would know that i am not the only one that feels this way.

Man....I don't think I have ever read a more lame post on these boards..ever. And that is saying a lot. I'm not comparing Mats to Sakic or Lemieux or Yzerman but you would be hard pressed to find Lanche, Pens or Wings fans to be so downright nasty towards their franchise player.....hard to believe you are even a Leafs fan. And who cares that you are not the only one who feels this way? You belong to a group of Leafs Nation who are brain dead.

You wouldn't recognize hockey talent if it slapped you in the face sir....You talk about Clark, Gilmour..blah blah blah....players that I also loved and I feel deserve Leaf fans admiration but you make it sound like these guys were superior to Mats in a Leaf uniform...

NO WAY! You aren't the only one to witness these other players in their prime and honestly in my lifetime the only captain who comes close to Sundins' legacy of TML captain is Darryl Sittler. Right there, I couldn't argue with you...but it still wouldn't diminish the big Swedes' awesomeness.

Old
03-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Rand

Scalpers are going to have fun with that game. And my bank account is going to take a bit hit trying to get tickets.

03-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Am i considered a troll because my opinion of Sundin differs from yours ? I just finished reading 5 pages of posts from people who have a curious man love for Mats.

Yeah... not trolling at all.

Old
03-25-2011, 09:56 PM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Man....I don't think I have ever read a more lame post on these boards..ever. And that is saying a lot. I'm not comparing Mats to Sakic or Lemieux or Yzerman but you would be hard pressed to find Lanche, Pens or Wings fans to be so downright nasty towards their franchise player.....hard to believe you are even a Leafs fan. And who cares that you are not the only one who feels this way? You belong to a group of Leafs Nation who are brain dead.

You wouldn't recognize hockey talent if it slapped you in the face sir....You talk about Clark, Gilmour..blah blah blah....players that I also loved and I feel deserve Leaf fans admiration but you make it sound like these guys were superior to Mats in a Leaf uniform...

NO WAY! You aren't the only one to witness these other players in their prime and honestly in my lifetime the only captain who comes close to Sundins' legacy of TML captain is Darryl Sittler. Right there, I couldn't argue with you...but it still wouldn't diminish the big Swedes' awesomeness.
A warning from the mods, for having an opinion ? Well thank you for making me see how obtuise i have been for not understanding how great Sir Mats has been in leading this team to the promised land. For shame that i was not awair of ' The big sweeds awesome awsomness . I dont feel that people who do not agree with YOUR opinion on Mats are brain dead, we are the ones that suffer most from all the **** that has surrounded this team in the last seven years. I just want to put that era safely behind us and to keep playing the way we have been. Im sure the players know all about the controversy of Mats breakup with the Leafs. Weather we love him or hate him we are all fans, We finally have a hard woorking, semi talented team with a good looking future. Concentrate on letting these guys do what needs to be done to rebuild this abortion. I conceed that Mats was at times an incredable player and he will be honoured at some point, and deservedly so. But next years too soon, The media would drive these players insane with questions about someone they have never played with, or against . The last thing these guys need are more distractions . Three beer and counting ! Go Leafs Go !

Old
03-25-2011, 10:13 PM
BrannigansLaw

Quote:
A warning from the mods, for having an opinion ? Well thank you for making me see how obtuise i have been for not understanding how great Sir Mats has been in leading this team to the promised land. For shame that i was not awair of ' The big sweeds awesome awsomness . I dont feel that people who do not agree with YOUR opinion on Mats are brain dead, we are the ones that suffer most from all the **** that has surrounded this team in the last seven years. I just want to put that era safely behind us and to keep playing the way we have been. Im sure the players know all about the controversy of Mats breakup with the Leafs. Weather we love him or hate him we are all fans, We finally have a hard woorking, semi talented team with a good looking future. Concentrate on letting these guys do what needs to be done to rebuild this abortion. I conceed that Mats was at times an incredable player and he will be honoured at some point, and deservedly so. But next years too soon, The media would drive these players insane with questions about someone they have never played with, or against . The last thing these guys need are more distractions . Three beer and counting ! Go Leafs Go !
What promised land did Gilmour and Clark lead this team to that makes you think they deserved to be honored and not Mats?

Old
03-25-2011, 10:41 PM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannigansLaw View Post
What promised land did Gilmour and Clark lead this team to that makes you think they deserved to be honored and not Mats?
Blood and Guts.

Old
03-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Epoch

Happy for Mats. Great player and great Captain.

Old
03-25-2011, 10:51 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV 426 View Post
Happy for Mats. Great player and great Captain.
Me, too. He deserves the honour.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:20 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
this perceived "controrversy" was fabricated by MLSE, the media and "fans" like yourself. For me...no controversy..The only controversy is the classless way MLSE treated arguably the greatest player in the history of the franchise. He should have never been strong-armed in trying to leave the only organization he wanted play for after giving so many years of dedication and devotion. He was idolized by the fans and fellow team mates and pretty much anyone who dealt with him professionally. He was a classy captain with tremendous skill. He never complained, at least not publicly and he was always willing to face the music when the Leafs were being scrutinized. He led the team on the ice and in the dressing room. He was captain clutch who turned it up a notch when the heat was on.

Why after all these years, a TML fan would hold a grudge, for no explicable reason against the former and probably only franchise player the Leafs have had in the last 30 years is really hard to comprehend. He led the team to 3 Conference Finals and multiple 100 point seasons under the direction of Pat Quinn.

The whole argument that it is a distraction is absolutely absurd. If you were a young hockey player like Luke Schenn or Carl Gunnarsson or James Reimer, Im sure it would be a huge honour to take part in a celebration of the all time points leader of the historic Toronto Maple Leafs. Not a distraction. Sundin was a winner. Although his Leafs' teams never won. He did captain a Swedish team to Olympic Gold, which is never an easy feat. He was the first European player to score 500 goals and is till this day revered as a hero in his homeland...

And finally, you can have an "opinion" about anything you want but when you come to a Toronto Maples Fan Board and try to discredit and bad mouth the former great captain, it is a slap in the face of Leaf fans everywhere. If you don't like Mats for whatever stupid reason you have made up in your head, then maybe take it the Ottawa Senators board, where they probably truly dislike him for all those years of leading the Leafs to kicking the Sens' a$$e$ in the playoffs. Someone will probably have a lot of time for your venom there.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:31 AM
The Beyonder

Hate him or love him, no one can deny the man is deserving of being honored, one of the greatest leafs of all time, we could use him in his prime right now...we'd be a playoff team.

A nice video of Mats.

Top 10 Sundin momemnts.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Deuce Awesome

Don't understand why the Pro Sundin camp always thumbs their noses at the anti Sundin's as being less knowlegeable, "brain dead", or lesser fans. The last couple of years of Sundin's tenure here were controversial. Controversy is going to bring out conflicting opinions.

I won't be watching at the rink or at home that night thats for sure. Not enough gravol in the cupboard.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
Don't understand why the Pro Sundin camp always thumbs their noses at the anti Sundin's as being less knowlegeable, "brain dead", or lesser fans. The last couple of years of Sundin's tenure here were controversial. Controversy is going to bring out conflicting opinions.

I won't be watching at the rink or at home that night thats for sure. Not enough gravol in the cupboard.
You know, I really don't want to be offensive, but honestly, if you think that Sundin not wanting to be traded for the last few weeks of the season trumps his 13 seasons, 10+ years of captaincy, and being the team's all-time leading scorer, then you are in fact brain dead or a lesser fan. It's so unbelievably petty.

Old
03-26-2011, 10:03 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
You know, I really don't want to be offensive, but honestly, if you think that Sundin not wanting to be traded for the last few weeks of the season trumps his 13 seasons, 10+ years of captaincy, and being the team's all-time leading scorer, then you are in fact brain dead or a lesser fan. It's so unbelievably petty.
Joey Hoser...you are so right in your assessment. Petty is an understatement...Maybe you should have wrote "Its so unbelievable Peddie"

Closed Thread