HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#73: Penguins @ Flyers - Thursday, Mar. 24, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
03-25-2011, 08:51 AM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's amazing how bad the content of this board has gotten in a few short weeks.
By "bad", do you mean critical?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 08:58 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Yeah its not like Timonen is our 2 time Best d man award winner or anything. Trade that ******* and give Carle more responsibilities!

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Doyle

Flyers “outworked” by Pens, drop shootout decision

"Embarrassing." "Perplexing." Definitely not the kinds of words you want associated with your team's play, especially heading down the stretch. But unfortunately for the Flyers, these were the descriptive terms they used to define their own play Thursday night. Call it a healthy dose of self-awareness.

http://nhlhotstove.com/flyers-outwor...tout-decision/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 09:23 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
By "bad", do you mean critical?
Nope, just ridiculous and uninformed. People are *****ing about Timonen? Really? Then there are the ones who look to rip a player they don't like any chance they get.

A couple of years ago a GDT involving these 2 teams would have had at least 900 replies and quite often would need a second thread. Look at it now.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Nope, just ridiculous and uninformed. People are *****ing about Timonen? Really? Then there are the ones who look to rip a player they don't like any chance they get.

A couple of years ago a GDT involving these 2 teams would have had at least 900 replies and quite often would need a second thread. Look at it now.
Sorry, you complain about people criticizing Timonen and then wonder about the content.

It appears he's playing hurt (which is why Syvret was recalled), and I hope it's true because he's been playing like total crap lately. He needs to start playing well himself before he starts ripping his teammates.

Get a mirror, not a microphone, please, Mr. Timonen.

And for Mr. Woof, if you want the quality of the board to improve, the same advice applies to you. Post something constructive instead of just whinging about other people's posts and the board's general suckitude....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:17 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Sorry, you complain about people criticizing Timonen and then wonder about the content.

It appears he's playing hurt (which is why Syvret was recalled), and I hope it's true because he's been playing like total crap lately. He needs to start playing well himself before he starts ripping his teammates.

And for Mr. Woof, if you want the quality of the board to improve, the same advice applies to you. Post something constructive instead of just whinging about other people's posts and the board's general suckitude....
Don't ****ing call me Mr.

Old
03-25-2011, 10:31 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

And you proved my point. Timonen IS injured but he's got the guts to play through it. He's playing a ton of minutes especially with Pronger out. So would you prefer the alternative? Here you go: Syvret, a career AHLer. Think he's going to play 24 minutes a game? Think they're going to be effective? Of course the next choice is to give extra minutes to O'Donnell and Boynton. Still think we get the extra point?

So yeah, Timonen can say whatever the hell he wants.

Old
03-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
It's called the trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Fine, the Penguins played a trap game.
Penguins don't play the trap in Pittsburgh or WB/S. Even when the Penguins lost many of their top forwards, they continued to play their system. Their system is built on a heavy puck pursuit, go go go, north-south aggressive game with the defensemen often leading the way. This recent article in the Post-Gazette talks about it in more detail...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11076/1132558-61.stm

Last nights game was very entertaining. Bobrovsky was outstanding! With the Flyers squeezing a point out, that makes it even more difficult for the Penguins to grab the #1 spot in the East.

Looking forward to next weeks matchup in Pittsburgh!

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:42 AM
HoverCarle*

Timonen takes more punishment in the game than any other player on the team. Dude is a first class warrior

Old
03-25-2011, 10:43 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
He's just not clutch

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:50 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Yeah its not like Timonen is our 2 time Best d man award winner or anything. Trade that ******* and give Carle more responsibilities!
Hovercraft, you never take a day off do you?

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:55 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Hovercraft, you never take a day off do you?
Ill take a day off when Carle takes a hit to make a play

Old
03-25-2011, 10:55 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

the most frustrating part of whatever has been going on with this team lately is watching them set up a rush only to flub a pass or try something fancy and watching the play go the other way. this happened maybe 4 times in the 5 minute OT last night. throw pucks on net, throw them to the net low, and crash the net for rebounds.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:19 AM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Storm View Post
Good call. We should totally trade him. What a bonehead.
I said he's made some boneheaded plays this year himself. I didn't say he was a bonehead.

Yes we should trade him. Going to be 37 years old with a cap hit of 6.333 million until the end of his contract.

And really, let's be honest. The guy is far too inconsistent for the level of his salary.

He's getting paid like an elite defenseman. He's not elite. He's good with the ability to be very good on some nights and on other nights he has the ability to be absolutely atrocious.

On this team, out of all people, he should not be one of the players in that locker room calling anyone out, especially given how inconsistent he's been this season.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Gotta remember, most of the people here *****ing about Timonen think that Carle is our best defenseman. Its not even worth argueing with them.

Timonen has been our best defenseman this season....thats a fact.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:12 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
I said he's made some boneheaded plays this year himself. I didn't say he was a bonehead.

Yes we should trade him. Going to be 37 years old with a cap hit of 6.333 million until the end of his contract.

And really, let's be honest. The guy is far too inconsistent for the level of his salary.

He's getting paid like an elite defenseman. He's not elite. He's good with the ability to be very good on some nights and on other nights he has the ability to be absolutely atrocious.

On this team, out of all people, he should not be one of the players in that locker room calling anyone out, especially given how inconsistent he's been this season.
You have been watching the Flyers right? At times this season, he has been carrying the defense. Carrying. Richards or Pronger calls out anyone, its ok. Timonen does it people get mad. Completely disagree with the last statement...100%. Timonen is currently (without a healthy Pronger) our best d-man on the team. Meszaros is a close 2nd, but thats it.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:24 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You have been watching the Flyers right? At times this season, he has been carrying the defense. Carrying. Richards or Pronger calls out anyone, its ok. Timonen does it people get mad. Completely disagree with the last statement...100%. Timonen is currently (without a healthy Pronger) our best d-man on the team. Meszaros is a close 2nd, but thats it.
It's not just this season it's been like this since he arrived. Never takes a shift off. My guess is that most of the complainers never played a competitive sport so they don't get it.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

credit Jules

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
It's not just this season it's been like this since he arrived. Never takes a shift off. My guess is that most of the complainers never played a competitive sport so they don't get it.
I do think it has to do with "he's small" thing. He doesnt rock someone with a huge hit, he is unreliable. That doesnt explain the then, Carle love though. They dont like Timonen, but love Carle. Carle and Timonen has similar offensive skills, but Timonen is twice the defender...easily.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:35 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:

I mean really? the guy has been an anchor to our defense especially with the injuries to Pronger. Where would this team be without Timonen. He called out his teammates, because thats what leaders do.
And lets be honest. Who do you want playing defense for 23 minutes a night? Matt Carle? Coburn. Sorry I trust Timonen out there with the game on the line then those 2.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

Yes Kimmo, is and has been our best defenceman all year but he's also not a sacred cow.

Whether or not he's injured and I believe he is, Kimmo takes nights off as well and when he does anyone here is entitled to speak their critical mind.

The groupies and sycophants need to grow some thicker skin and not evoke sentimentality every time their favourite player gets called out.

If someone here had called out Giroux in the post game threads the way Prongs did, he/she would have been roasted and exiled from these threads.

What's that expression "Dissent is the highest form of..."

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:42 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

I think that this team is blessed to have 2 #1 Dmen in Pronger and Timonen, and I love Timonen's overall game. I don't have a problem with him speaking up about how woeful the Flyers have looked of late ... as long as his pronoun of choice is "we". Nobody's game has been beyond reproach over the past 2 months, and Timonen has looked rather un-Timonen-esque more than once over this stretch. I'm still very glad to see him out on the ice, especially with Pronger rehabbing, and would rather see him on the ice in the final 2 minutes of a tight game 11 times out of 10 than Carle.

As for quantity of posts, I'm doing as much as I can, m'lady!

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:43 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
Yes Kimmo, is and has been our best defenceman all year but he's also not a sacred cow.

Whether or not he's injured and I believe he is, Kimmo takes nights off as well and when he does anyone here is entitled to speak their critical mind.

The groupies and sycophants need to grow some thicker skin and not evoke sentimentality every time their favourite player gets called out.

If someone here had called out Giroux in the post game threads the way Prongs did, he/she would have been roasted and exiled from these threads.

What's that expression "Dissent is the highest form of..."
So...you agree we should trade him? Im not saying he hasnt played top notch hockey every single game, but to trade him? Laughable. Thats what we are argueing about.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Jester

Quote:

You're a fantastic addition to the group here, keep up the good work.

Timonen is, by a wide margin, the 2nd best D on this team. He's also one of the best D in the league, and would be the no. 1 on more than a few rosters around the league. He's certainly beginning to lose a little bit of his edge, but it's absolutely atrocious that you just used "absolutely atrocious" to describe his play.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:51 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

At $7 million a year he's SUPPOSED to carry the defense!

He still remains too inconsistent for me to justify his salary.

Meszaros, at $4 million, has been just as good if not better and is a +26.

Is Timonen some sort of sacerd cow that is above criticism?

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote