HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adios FSN, Welcome Root Sports

Old
03-23-2011, 09:32 PM

vCash: 500
Adios FSN, Welcome Root Sports

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=546739

Effective: April 1, 2011

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:44 PM
petrskudra1

Root, root root for the......

petrskudra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Sooo... does this mean Fox has cut these towns loose from their lineup or is ROOT a Fox brand?

Either way I can see why they wouldn't want these teams' broadcasters associated with their name. I thought Fox Sports Rocky Mountain was already rebranded (Altitude)?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:48 PM
clefty
What?

They're just renaming FSN Pittsburgh (and a couple of others) as Root Sports, essentially. I read about this last year.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:49 PM
metalan2

But not on comcast?

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:50 PM
wej20

I pray Steigy gets lost in the shuffle.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I already can't stand the name. They really couldn't come up with something better than root sports?

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I pray Steigy gets lost in the shuffle.
They're really not as bad as you guys make them out to be, at least compared to a lot of the others around the league (CI has been an eye opener on this issue...).

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post
They're really not as bad as you guys make them out to be, at least compared to a lot of the others around the league (CI has been an eye opener on this issue...).
no they pretty much are that bad. only the red wings have worse.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Steigy is absolutely as bad as we make him out to be (especially me). While he does have some player trivia stocked up in that thick head of his, he is otherwise utterly incompetent as a PBP guy. Errey is acceptable at times, unintentionally funny at others and incoherent at his worst.

You are correct there are other terrible announcer teams (FSN Detroit, Florida, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Altitude, CSN DC, etc etc) but that's not who you compare them to. You compare them to the better guys out there (Rags - MSG, CSN Chicago, FSN Dallas, CBC/Rogers - Hughson and sidekick whose name I don't know, etc) hope your network of choice can meet that benchmark over time.

That said, unless the rebrand is part of another company taking over and bringing their own people in, I don't see how this will affect our announcers and off ice guys. Dan Potash will still be giving Pascal the googy-eyes and telling everyone he'll "see them on the plane". What a putz.

Old
03-23-2011, 10:04 PM
wej20

Quote:
I like Errey but Steigy is :facepalm, certainly one of the worst out there.

Old
03-23-2011, 10:09 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Steigy is absolutely as bad as we make him out to be (especially me). While he does have some player trivia stocked up in that thick head of his, he is otherwise utterly incompetent as a PBP guy. Errey is acceptable at times, unintentionally funny at others and incoherent at his worst.

You are correct there are other terrible announcer teams (FSN Detroit, Florida, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Altitude, CSN DC, etc etc) but that's not who you compare them to. You compare them to the better guys out there (Rags - MSG, CSN Chicago, FSN Dallas, CBC/Rogers - Hughson and sidekick whose name I don't know, etc) hope your network of choice can meet that benchmark over time.

That said, unless the rebrand is part of another company taking over and bringing their own people in, I don't see how this will affect our announcers and off ice guys. Dan Potash will still be giving Pascal the googy-eyes and telling everyone he'll "see them on the plane". What a putz.
I like Detroits and Tampa's announcers.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:11 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
I like Errey but Steigy is :facepalm, certainly one of the worst out there.
Basically my opinion. I mean there is no calling Errey a good announcer. He is "punch drunk" from taking one to many hits during his years. And he was never to bright to begin with...

But at least he has character and can make you laugh in a good way...

But Stieger.... OMG... I want to stab out my ear drums some nights because of that.

I would like a Lange and Errey combo.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTsplnk View Post
I like Detroits and Tampa's announcers.

You like Detroit's announcers? Those two farts might be the biggest homers this side of Altitude. I don't get that at all but to each his own I guess. Tampa I don't listen to as much and they're not as bad as the guys for the Panthers or Thrashers or Preds, but I can at least see how someone would tolerate them. Detroit's announcers make me want to throw things at the TV. There are only about three or four announcer teams who are SO bad, that I'd rather listen to Steigy and FSN Detroit is one of them.

You heard 25% of Detroit's population has left town since 2000 right? That's because they couldn't take FSN Detroit anymore and left.

Old
03-23-2011, 10:21 PM
wej20

The thing about Steigy is his voice is really annoying on top of being an awful Play by play guy, Jack Edwards for Boston would actually be a pretty good announcer if he wasn't such a raging homer. I noticed in the Jeffrey GWG game that he was pretty good at adding stuff about the Pens that your casual Bruins fan might not no or pick up but Steigy hardly ever does that.

Old
03-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Ownership changed hands a good while ago. DirecTV bought it in May 2009 from Liberty Media, which acquired it in a stock swap with News Corporation in 2006 (read: Fox). That's why it's been known as FSN instead of Fox Sports since then.

I thought this was just a Pittsburgh quirk...I get one of the other networks being re-branded (Northwest, which is Seattle/Portland).

Steigerwald is right there with that Boston ****** as the worst in the league. I don't mind Errey, but the fact Steigerwald is still employed is a disgrace...but as I said, I doubt anything changes here as the ownership has been the same for two years now, they're just finally re-branding it.

The further anything gets from Fox the happier I get.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Huge: it's called FSN everywhere (Fox Sports Net)

Edwards COULD be great if he'd just calm the **** down and stop acting like every nice goal, pass or hit is the second coming of Christ on skates. The guy just gets WAY too excited about stuff sometimes. His voice and knowledge are actually pretty good. It's just the parts where he gets really loud and spastic that makes him intolerable.

Old
03-23-2011, 10:26 PM
FlightlessBird

Quote:
The thing about Steigy is his voice is really annoying on top of being an awful Play by play guy, Jack Edwards for Boston would actually be a pretty good announcer if he wasn't such a raging homer. I noticed in the Jeffrey GWG game that he was pretty good at adding stuff about the Pens that your casual Bruins fan might not no or pick up but Steigy hardly ever does that.
Spot on about Steigy's voice. I think that's the number one thing that bothers me about him. Speaking of Jeffrey's overtime goal, that's the one I was trying to find to show how awful Steigy's voice is. No luck on YouTube though. All the highlights use Boston's feed. He literally growls though and it's disgusting.

FlightlessBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Huge: it's called FSN everywhere (Fox Sports Net)
Not exactly. The branding difference lays in the fact that the ones still owned by Fox don't have the Network part of the name, instead they have names like Fox Sports Oklahoma and Fox Sports Southwest. Looking things over the only three FSN names are the ones that were lost in the stock shuffle and are being re-branded as Root Sports.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Iffyiffiffer
Moo

Steigerwald's voice? I don't mind it.

Now the Versus guys are terrible. Just listen. Horrendous. http://penguins.nhl.com/club/gamevid...?id=2010021086

Iffyiffiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:39 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Root Sports? Was Yay! Go Team! Sports already taken?

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iffyiffiffer View Post

Now the Versus guys are terrible. Just listen. Horrendous. http://penguins.nhl.com/club/gamevid...?id=2010021086
Emrick is a legend. I really enjoy listening to him call a game minus the waffleboard references.

Gary Thorne is also great!

Mo Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:54 PM
AZPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iffyiffiffer View Post

You seriously prefer Steigy over Doc? I would (almost) kill to have Doc as the Pen's PBP guy.

AZPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:01 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Emrick is a legend. I really enjoy listening to him call a game minus the waffleboard references.

Gary Thorne is also great!
Gotta love Doc. I'm surprised how many people (Pens fans) that I meet that don't like him. I wish the Pens had a Doc and Chico (yes, Chico).

Plus the guy has the biggest boner for Pittsburgh. He always does the city good on national broadcasts complementing it and its citizens. And he's a ridiculous Pirates fan.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Tafkak

Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Gotta love Doc. I'm surprised how many people (Pens fans) that I meet that don't like him. I wish the Pens had a Doc and Chico (yes, Chico).

Plus the guy has the biggest boner for Pittsburgh. He always does the city good on national broadcasts complementing it and its citizens. And he's a ridiculous Pirates fan.

Doc is a great announcer and a great person, have had a chance to meet him a few times and he's a really nice guy. Definitely one of the better announcers out there, especially when you compare them to our two dunderheads.

Tafkak is offline   Reply With Quote