HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adios FSN, Welcome Root Sports

Old
03-23-2011, 11:06 PM
AK

vCash: 500
I really wish I could meet Emrick. I'd talk hockey and baseball with him for hours, and I bet it would be fascinating.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Neeeeaaaal
Waffles Are Good

My top three Broadcasting tandems in the league are as follows:
1. Doc Emerick + Anyone (NBC, VS or Otherwise)
2. Randy Hahn + Drew Remenda (SJ Sharks)
3. Mike Lange + Phil Bourque (or possibly Bob Errey)

Back on topic, if there was any way we could use the transition to Root Sports to oust Steigy, it would be the best move made in Pittsburgh sports in years. I love Bob Errey's off the wall commentary, because he can easily change over to being totally serious and making (mostly) objective calls of what he sees. Steigy is a hopeless cause though.

Neeeeaaaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Emrick is a legend. I really enjoy listening to him call a game minus the waffleboard references.

Gary Thorne is also great!
Pretty much agree with this and the others.

I also love listening to Emrick minus those waffleboard references.

I like Errey. He's funny and offers a former players prospective.

Big Gary Thorne fan from his ESPN days.

I can't stand Steigy's announcing. He brings nothing to it. I know he's been with the Pens for ages and deserves a job somewhere within the organization. Announcing just isn't something he's good at. He needs reassigned. I wouldn't mind him hosting the pregame or something.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:07 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

I love Lange, but he sometimes seems too cheerful when the other team scores. lol

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Neeeeaaaal
Waffles Are Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I can't stand Steigy's announcing. He brings nothing to it. I know he's been with the Pens for ages and deserves a job somewhere within the organization. Announcing just isn't something he's good at. He needs reassigned. I wouldn't mind him hosting the pregame or something.
Bring back Sports Beat. It's the only real solution.

Neeeeaaaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:12 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafkak View Post
Doc is a great announcer and a great person, have had a chance to meet him a few times and he's a really nice guy. Definitely one of the better announcers out there, especially when you compare them to our two dunderheads.
I'm not surprised. He comes across as a good guy. He should be the standard for play-by-play.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Duck Paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Steigy is absolutely as bad as we make him out to be (especially me). While he does have some player trivia stocked up in that thick head of his, he is otherwise utterly incompetent as a PBP guy. Errey is acceptable at times, unintentionally funny at others and incoherent at his worst.

You are correct there are other terrible announcer teams (FSN Detroit, Florida, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Altitude, CSN DC, etc etc) but that's not who you compare them to. You compare them to the better guys out there (Rags - MSG, CSN Chicago, FSN Dallas, CBC/Rogers - Hughson and sidekick whose name I don't know, etc) hope your network of choice can meet that benchmark over time.

That said, unless the rebrand is part of another company taking over and bringing their own people in, I don't see how this will affect our announcers and off ice guys. Dan Potash will still be giving Pascal the googy-eyes and telling everyone he'll "see them on the plane". What a putz.
Heyyyyy. Look, i get Potash isn't the manliest man on the planet...but i actually like him. He's quirky and weird and the guys all have fun messing with him a little bit. I think the players all like him am so do i.

You're right about Steigy's trivia knowledge...and about him being an awful PBP. He needs to go.

Errey is the man! Having an ex player doing the color is absolutely mandatory if you ask me. Biz nasty's future will be broadcasting of sorts.

Emrick's voice makes me crazy. Who talks like that?

Duck Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:17 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Pretty much agree with this and the others.

I also love listening to Emrick minus those waffleboard references.

I like Errey. He's funny and offers a former players prospective.

Big Gary Thorne fan from his ESPN days.

Agree with all of those. Always loved Gary Thorne. I'm a NY Mets fan and he used to do their games on the radio and then again on TV. Another guy I really like listening to is Howie Rose (Islanders). Another Mets guy, but he calls a good game and has a great witty sense of humor.

I do like Errey. He's pretty much what you expect from a color commentator former jock. Definitely makes me laugh at least once a game.

Old
03-23-2011, 11:21 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

I've always liked Darren Pang since his ESPN days.

I never get the Emrick hate on HF from certain factions. I wish he called every game I watch.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I love Emrick. I prefer Thorne, but Emrick is a baby step behind him on the American national side of things (Hughson being my favorite 'national' announcer overall, though he's almost exclusively used for Canucks games).

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:22 AM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Gotta love Doc. I'm surprised how many people (Pens fans) that I meet that don't like him. I wish the Pens had a Doc and Chico (yes, Chico).

Plus the guy has the biggest boner for Pittsburgh. He always does the city good on national broadcasts complementing it and its citizens. And he's a ridiculous Pirates fan.

I like him as a person, but I absolutely can not stand him as an announcer. Just don't like him announcing games, corny, lame, boring, etc. One of the worst in my books. I'd contemplate having Steigy over him. It'd be close.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Woodrow
I hate yo-yo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goncharmander View Post
My top three Broadcasting tandems in the league are as follows:
1. Doc Emerick + Anyone (NBC, VS or Otherwise)
2. Randy Hahn + Drew Remenda (SJ Sharks)
3. Mike Lange + Phil Bourque (or possibly Bob Errey)
I am not a fan of Emerick because I don't like his voice and his choice of words. Those San Jose announcers on the other hand are among the best in the buisiness imo. I just watched the SJ vs Calgary game and I was really impressed.

Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:54 AM
TheDudeAbides

so it this just for Directv? because I have TW and i bought the NHL center ice package so will this affect me at all?

TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
so it this just for Directv? because I have TW and i bought the NHL center ice package so will this affect me at all?
DirecTV owns the network, so the entire network is changing. It's nothing but a re-brand, though, they've been owned by the company for nearly 2 years now...so nothing vital should change.

The only thing I wonder is if they're keeping the regional names...I can only imagine so. The coverage shouldn't really change in the Pittsburgh region. I'm intrigued to see if it has any effect on FSN Northwest, though, as it has a local spin-off in FSN Utah (has Utah Jazz games and programs, but is otherwise identical to FSN Northwest...with FSN Northwest abandoning the Portland market that has made the Jazz and Nuggets my 'local' teams...we get Altitude as well out here, which is Colorado sports...its kinda confusing to deal with. If the Jazz are playing and nothing 'important' is on normal FSN Northwest telecasts then I get Jazz games, but if say a Sounders game is going on during a Jazz game then I get the Sounders game).

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 03-24-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old
03-24-2011, 01:47 AM
High Flying Birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post

I never get the Emrick hate on HF from certain factions. I wish he called every game I watch.
Pang is highly annoying when he's doing Blues broadcasts. In fact, that entire broadcast team is unbearable to listen too. Panger is fine when he's doing stuff for TSN though.

My favorite broadcasting duos are the Sharks, Rangers and Oilers.

As for the name change? Meh.

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:09 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Fata View Post
Pang is highly annoying when he's doing Blues broadcasts. In fact, that entire broadcast team is unbearable to listen too. Panger is fine when he's doing stuff for TSN though.

My favorite broadcasting duos are the Sharks, Rangers and Oilers.

As for the name change? Meh.
Pang is the way I see Olcyzk, but to less of an extreme. When he's in an absolutely impartial telecast he's solid, bordering on great...when he's in a team he's partial to (for Pang the Blues and Blackhawks, for Olcyzk for the Blackhawks and freakishly obsessed ex-girlfriend with the Penguins...who won't shut up about them in any context that doesn't involve them, but when they're involved he'll do nothing but **** on us) he's absolutely miserable. I used to love Pang with ESPN but when I watch Blues games on GameCenter I'm borderline annoyed with his antics. Force him to be impartial and he's much better.

It's much the same as with most national announcers with team allegiances (Bill Clement with the Flyers; Jim Hughson with the Canucks). Emrick is probably the only national broadcaster with regional ties that is really able to hide his affiliation, and I appreciate that.

There's a reason hockey people invite Bob Errey to give commentary to things and not Steigerwald. Errey, when divorced from the Penguins, is a surprisingly smart hockey mind who knows damn well what he's talking about. Steigerwald is a semi-trained Rhesus Macaque who involuntarily masturbates whenever the words 'Sidney Crosby,' 'Jordan Staal,' or 'Dan Potash are uttered.

Old
03-24-2011, 02:24 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post

I wish Gary Thorne called every game I watch just because his voice screams playoff hockey to me.

Other than that, the Sam Rosen/John Davidson duo is my favorite of all time. Those guys were the perfect mix of knowledgeable, unbiased, connected, talented and hysterical.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:35 AM
smetana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Not exactly. The branding difference lays in the fact that the ones still owned by Fox don't have the Network part of the name, instead they have names like Fox Sports Oklahoma and Fox Sports Southwest. Looking things over the only three FSN names are the ones that were lost in the stock shuffle and are being re-branded as Root Sports.
This is spot on. My wife works for our local cable company, and that's how she explained the situation to me.

The good news for us here in northern WV is that, starting April 5, we FINALLY get FSN in HD--I mean ROOT in HD

And, we've beaten the Steiggy thing to death. He really is awful. My assesment comes from a background as a radio play-by-play man here in WV. There are a lot of small things that Steiggy does terribly, that some might not even pick up on, that just make him a very, very poor PBP from a purely technical aspect. Makes me cringe, frankly.

smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:45 AM
Dylonus

PLEASE Root Sports! BRING BACK LANGE! Bring Bourque with him! He makes for a great secondary announcer.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:56 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by smetana View Post
And, we've beaten the Steiggy thing to death. He really is awful. My assesment comes from a background as a radio play-by-play man here in WV. There are a lot of small things that Steiggy does terribly, that some might not even pick up on, that just make him a very, very poor PBP from a purely technical aspect. Makes me cringe, frankly.
You know the only way anything is going to change here? Complain to the network. I've done so numerous times this season. My singular voice means nothing...but a lot of our voices means a lot. The thing that means the most is just not watching games, but that clearly is not an option. Seriously, complaints to the network about the quality of our announcer(s) will do more to get them fired than anyone would ever know. It's the only thing I've ever learned in this television writing field...

The best way I suggest speaking up against Steigerwald? Contact the network: explore the options here.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 03-24-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old
03-24-2011, 07:58 AM
smetana

Maybe we should organize a protest. Maybe contact some Montreal fans for pro tips on how to get that going

smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:05 AM
SirBrad

Quote:
Maybe we should organize a protest. Maybe contact some Montreal fans for pro tips on how to get that going
Call the police on Steigy for torturing us!

Old
03-24-2011, 08:10 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
Call the police on Steigy for torturing us!
Or why don't we sue him for mental anguish and abuse.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Gooch

I like Emrick as a person and have no ill will towards him but I don't really enjoy his voice as a play by play. Gary Thorne will always have a soft spot with me, I just think broadcasters should have that "broadcaster voice" that he has.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:56 AM
JTG

Quote:
Gotta love Doc. I'm surprised how many people (Pens fans) that I meet that don't like him. I wish the Pens had a Doc and Chico (yes, Chico).

Plus the guy has the biggest boner for Pittsburgh. He always does the city good on national broadcasts complementing it and its citizens. And he's a ridiculous Pirates fan.

Quote:
Emrick taught speech and broadcasting at Geneva College in Beaver Falls, PA from 1969-1971 and got his first experience of the NHL covering the Penguins as an unpaid correspondent for the Beaver County Times newspaper.
I don't know how many people know that...

I prefer Gary Thorne to Emrick, but I don't mind Doc either. Mike Lange will always be my numero uno, but that's because I grew up with him, and that's what I'm used to. Steggy isn't a good play by play, but he actually was a good color man, IMO. Real big on the facts and other things. I don't personally like Phil Bourque on the radio broadcast. I wouldn't mind seeing a trifecta of Lange doing play by play, Steggy doing color, and Errey between the benches.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote