HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adios FSN, Welcome Root Sports

Old
03-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
My favorite announcing tandems are as follow:

1. Gary Thorne, Bill Clement (at least I get to listen to them on the video games)
2. Mike Lange, whoever (I almost liked Steigy with him just because Lange made fun of him)
3. Doc, whoever (sometimes I like Edzo other times I want to punch him)
4. Steve Levie, Darren Pang

I also really like the Dallas Stars announcers. I think they are pretty solid despite being a little homerish. I haven't paid great attention to every local announcing team in the league but the one I can't stand the most is the Buffalo Sabres. I haven't seen anyone mention that guy but his voice annoys me to no end. Plus every goal they score, or shot really, sounds like a goal scored in the world cup. That dude sucks IMO.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:22 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrskudra1 View Post
Root, root root for the......
PENGUINS!!!!
If we don't get hurt we'll win gaaaaaaaames.
Cause there's Geno, Sid...and Orpik all out.
But we won't burn out like flames.

*End dorky little song here*

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:32 AM
LawnyIris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post
They're really not as bad as you guys make them out to be, at least compared to a lot of the others around the league (CI has been an eye opener on this issue...).
The thing that kills me is we have Lange on the radio and he can just as easily call the games on TV at the same time.

Just sucks listening to the amateurs when you know the pro is available.

LawnyIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Slartibartfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
he's a ridiculous Pirates fan.
Speaking as one myself, and after the last 20 years of suffering the Pirates have put us through, is there really another kind of Pirates fan?

Last edited by Slartibartfast: 03-25-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:12 PM
GermanTitov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Steigy is absolutely as bad as we make him out to be (especially me). While he does have some player trivia stocked up in that thick head of his, he is otherwise utterly incompetent as a PBP guy. Errey is acceptable at times, unintentionally funny at others and incoherent at his worst.

You are correct there are other terrible announcer teams (FSN Detroit, Florida, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Altitude, CSN DC, etc etc) but that's not who you compare them to. You compare them to the better guys out there (Rags - MSG, CSN Chicago, FSN Dallas, CBC/Rogers - Hughson and sidekick whose name I don't know, etc) hope your network of choice can meet that benchmark over time.

That said, unless the rebrand is part of another company taking over and bringing their own people in, I don't see how this will affect our announcers and off ice guys. Dan Potash will still be giving Pascal the googy-eyes and telling everyone he'll "see them on the plane". What a putz.

im actually in Texas now and watched the starts game last nite on FSNsouthwest and didnt think the dallas announcers were that great. kinda dull and boring if you ask me

GermanTitov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Bluefan75

OP, the date of this transition wouldn't be a clue about something now would it?

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 06:45 AM
smetana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefan75 View Post
OP, the date of this transition wouldn't be a clue about something now would it?
It means we're a bunch of (April) fools for listening to Steigerwald's on-air tripe.

smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 08:58 AM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post
They're really not as bad as you guys make them out to be, at least compared to a lot of the others around the league (CI has been an eye opener on this issue...).
Steiggy thought Aaron Asham was Letang last night...

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 09:14 AM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
He blamed it on the hair. Even better.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Not exactly. The branding difference lays in the fact that the ones still owned by Fox don't have the Network part of the name, instead they have names like Fox Sports Oklahoma and Fox Sports Southwest. Looking things over the only three FSN names are the ones that were lost in the stock shuffle and are being re-branded as Root Sports.
Interesting. Thanks for the correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I love Emrick. I prefer Thorne, but Emrick is a baby step behind him on the American national side of things (Hughson being my favorite 'national' announcer overall, though he's almost exclusively used for Canucks games).
Hughson is by far the best announcer in hockey; been saying that for years. He does some national CBC games too I've noticed, but mostly Canucks. The others it seems like even the good ones here have some kind of oddball flaw.

Thorne is a great PBP announcer but has Alzheimer's or something that causes him to constantly lose track of who he is talking about, etc.

Emrick is a good PBP guy too but uses the same phrases over and over. You get "knifed on over/down/through" about 30x a game as well as the famous "DRIVVVE!" but that one is at least entertaining.

Panger is a color guy but does a very good job.

There is a new crew that does Versus games sometimes this year (not Emrick and Edzo and not Beninati and that other ****** from DC - I forget the guy's name) and he does a good job.

I'd be more OK with Errey if he had someone who could carry him but Steigerwald is just pathetic. Errey has to carry HIM with his goofy comments and it should never work that way with an announcing team.

South of the border I'd say the best team is Foley and Edzo for the Blackhawks. Knowledgable, calls an even game (not afraid to get on the Hawks' case or give the other team real credit), and usually a few good wisecracks in the game somewhere.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:10 AM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Gotta love Doc. I'm surprised how many people (Pens fans) that I meet that don't like him. I wish the Pens had a Doc and Chico (yes, Chico).

Plus the guy has the biggest boner for Pittsburgh. He always does the city good on national broadcasts complementing it and its citizens. And he's a ridiculous Pirates fan.

IMO, he always has seemed like a class act.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I've met Doc several times at Devils games. He's probably the nicest, most down to Earth person I've ever met. Chico was also really cool, too. He took his Stanley Cup ring off and let me hold/wear it for a couple minutes. On another occasion, they let my mom and I watch the game for a while from their "booth" (it's basically just an area with removable walls and black cloth draped over them) and hang out with Stevens while he was in the booth back in like ~1999.

Supremely cool guys, both Doc and Chico.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Interesting.
Emrick is a good PBP guy too but uses the same phrases over and over. You get "knifed on over/down/through" about 30x a game as well as the famous "DRIVVVE!" but that one is at least entertaining.
I agree he can be quite repetitive, but I just can't get enough of "A DRIVVE!" haha. I just freakin love it. Plus it's a lot better than Steigy's "a shAWWt" (when he says a shot he makes a emphasizes the middle of the word and often over exaggerates how dangerous the shot is where as Emrick's "A DRIVVE!" is usually only reserved for at least decent shots).

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:26 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
My personal favorite was one time when Cooke picked up the puck in transition out of the zone and he called him Orpik. It's like okay you saw a "4" on his jersey so you just pick a random player with a "4" out of your ass? One's tall one's short, one wears a visor one doesn't. Christ.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
My personal favorite was one time when Cooke picked up the puck in transition out of the zone and he called him Orpik. It's like okay you saw a "4" on his jersey so you just pick a random player with a "4" out of your ass? One's tall one's short, one wears a visor one doesn't. Christ.
Still not as bad when he mistook Laraque for Crosby at least three or four times. They don't look or skate anything like each other except for they both had a 7 in their number.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:38 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt's Best #87 #66 View Post
Still not as bad when he mistook Laraque for Crosby at least three or four times. They don't look or skate anything like each other except for they both had a 7 in their number.
You don't think they look like each other?

Seriously though you got me there and I do remember it oh so vividly.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:01 PM
kovy1335

Send a message via AIM to kovy1335
I can't believe no one has suggested Bourquey in the booth all by himself.

Really though, I don't see how Errey does a better job than Bourque does.

A straight-up flip of Lange/Bourque for Steigerwald/Errey would make my week.

kovy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:29 PM
clefty
What?

If anyone replaces Steiggy in the future, it'll be Steve Mears. They seem to like that guy, he's young and I think they definitely had designs on him being the voice of the Penguins down the line when they hired him from the Islanders a couple of years back.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:41 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
If anyone replaces Steiggy in the future, it'll be Steve Mears. They seem to like that guy, he's young and I think they definitely had designs on him being the voice of the Penguins down the line when they hired him from the Islanders a couple of years back.
Yep, his name has been brought up before. He knows his stuff and he has a good presence on camera. There's no reason for FSN to replace Steigy since we get record ratings every year, but at some point they're going to have to go younger. Mears is definitely going to be the replacement.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I remember Mears with the Isles. He seemed like a younger, more knowledgeable Steigy. He has a homer style of announcing like Steigy and his goal call is the same "He Scores!" line Steigy uses. Almost everybody hated his goal calls when he was with the Isles. That was the biggest negative with him. His strength was calling the play by play. He really knows what he's talking about and is very detailed about what's going on out there. He arguably is too detailed and winds up behind the play because he's trying to explain too much and there's just not enough time on TV. Guys like that work better on radio since people can't see/notice how far behind the play you are. He was really young back then though and certainly can get better.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

they're keeping all of the old personnel and stuff, right? including the guy who does the voice-over for commercials for upcoming games? ya know, the ones that are like "____ comes into town to face the pens in an atlantic division battle, sunday on FSN Pittsburgh(or whatever)!" that guy has the coolest voice and i love them commercials.

cuz i am afraid of change. i realize that Steigy and Bab are apparently terrible PbP guys, but i've grown accustomed to them and i would miss them

i'm actually hoping this is a REALLY LAME April Fool's joke

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:52 AM
SkullSplitter

Doc's good, but he's always accompanied by McGuire, Milbury, and Edzo. Ewww. Those guys are the worst color analysts. Total blowhards.

A few years ago when Hull and Panger were part of the main broadcast crew it wasn't as bad.

The thing I dislike about Steigy is that he's a color guy calling the game. He talks to Errey half the time instead of focusing on the play. Keep the color commentary to a minimum. A good PBP guy makes the game much more enjoyable to watch. Lange always makes the game exciting, especially on the radio or when he did simulcast. If I close my eyes for 5 minutes, I should still have a general idea of what's going on on the ice other than big hits, penalties, and goals.

I wish that they'd have more guest color analysts. I loved when Paul Coffey came on an FSN broadcast and was talking about Letang.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:21 AM
JTG

I'd like to see Mears get a shot. He sort of got me the other day though with his "Hart Finalists" and MAF was present on that.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:29 PM
CorpseLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTsplnk View Post
I like Detroits and Tampa's announcers.
and Buffalo's?
"he scooooooooooooooores!"

CorpseLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:37 PM
CorpseLW

The fact is, there are a number of play-by-play guys around the league and Steigerwald is not one, while Lange is.

In ANY setting or situation in life, the voice of a leader or key representative is important for the group. Steigerwald has a poor voice, zero charm, and no brain for communicating things effectively or creatively.

CorpseLW is offline   Reply With Quote