HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Drury returns, he could help Rangers on draws

Old
04-14-2011, 09:01 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
I thought drury played well. I actually wanted him on the ice more. He was battling out there and he was playing harder than he had all season. He looked like a guy who wanted it. I think he'll score a big goal in this series if he sticks with it.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Orr Nightmare

Drury didn't clear that puck right before Staal turned over the puck on the Semin goal.

That is what your leader does...he chokes in O.T., all for the bargin price of 7.5 million.

Guy sucks...period!

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:39 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Drury didn't clear that puck right before Staal turned over the puck on the Semin goal.

That is what your leader does...he chokes in O.T., all for the bargin price of 7.5 million.

Guy sucks...period!
Don't make Drury the scapegoat. It was an awful play by Staal plain and simple. He was scared to put the puck over glass...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Guy sucks...period!
Do you really think Drury was as much or even more at fault on that goal than Staal? Or are you just harping on Drury because you hate the guy?

Either way, your twisting what actually happened on the game winning goal and highlighting a lack of understanding when it comes to the game - but I just want to see where you're going with this.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:44 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

BTW, apparently Drury was 75% on faceoffs last night (6 of 8). Too bad Dubinsky was brutal at 35% (7 of 20) and Boyle at an average 50% (12 of 24).

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Do you really think Drury was as much or even more at fault on that goal than Staal? Or are you just harping on Drury because you hate the guy?

Either way, your twisting what actually happened on the game winning goal and highlighting a lack of understanding when it comes to the game - but I just want to see where you're going with this.
Staal was 100% at fault for the goal...but Drury had the puck on his stick just seconds before that and he couldn't get it out...in addition, when Staal gained possession, Drury abandoned the zone, instead of helping out...I would think a guy with 130 games of playoff experience would know better...but what do I know.

Old
04-14-2011, 09:58 AM
John Torturella

One thing that kind of gets lost in that play is that Girardi was way too far on the other side of the ice. If something were to go wrong on that play, which it did, he left himself with too big of a gap to make up in order to break up the kind of play that happened. Also, Girardi had no one around him. Im not sure why Staal didn't just spin the puck behind the net for Girardi, instead chancing a turnover at the blue line when guys were all out of position.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Staal was 100% at fault for the goal...but Drury had the puck on his stick just seconds before that and he couldn't get it out...in addition, when Staal gained possession, Drury abandoned the zone, instead of helping out...I would think a guy with 130 games of playoff experience would know better...but what do I know.
Im not going to make excuses for Drury, but he played a pretty solid game last night as far as Im concerned.

I just watched the replay of the winning goal again...yea, he probably should've cleared the puck, but that type of play happens about 100 times over the course of a game and when the puck came back to Staal, he was not under any immediate duress. No harm, no foul there.

What does frustrate me a bit more is how all the forwards (including Drury) abandoned the zone after that play...But like I said before, that wouldnt have mattered one bit if Staal made the right play and swept the puck behind the net to Girardi on the weak side.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
One thing that kind of gets lost in that play is that Girardi was way too far on the other side of the ice. If something were to go wrong on that play, which it did, he left himself with too big of a gap to make up in order to break up the kind of play that happened. Also, Girardi had no one around him. Im not sure why Staal didn't just spin the puck behind the net for Girardi, instead chancing a turnover at the blue line when guys were all out of position.
That is all Staal had to do...turn around and fire the puck around the boards, there was no one on the other side, puck would have cleared the zone.

Old
04-14-2011, 10:01 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Obviously, not much. Why would Drury stay in the zone when there are 3 guys between him and Staal? Staal shouldn't even be thinking about doing anything with the puck other than going behind the net with it.

And Drury couldn't get it out because Jason Arnott, a solid, smart, veteran two-way forward was right next to him and made a good play. Just because Arnott made a good play doesn't mean Drury made a bad one. That's not how things work. Drury did everything right. He can't control where Arnott is in relation to him.

Drury played a very nice game. If you want a reason for why the Rangers lost, try creating virtually zero offense for 4 periods.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:04 AM
NikC

Quote:

Guy sucks...period!
i usually agree with .7% of what you write, but you're way off base here. Staal spoiled an otherwise strong performance with a really bad
outlet pass.

The real culprit for the loss? Our late 3rd period power play. we needed to make that dirty primadonna pay and we didn't.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:39 AM
pete3589

Sure Staal is the main culprit here, I think everyone knows that.

Still though, part of me wants Chris Drury to get that puck out, and if he doesn't, not leave the zone with 3 dangerous Caps players in the zone.

For a guy who was on the ice only for 14 mins and prides himself on doing the little things right even if he is struggling, I want him to get the job done there. Give the kid who's played nearly half the game (mostly vs #8) an outlet on the halfboards there.

pete3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
i usually agree with .7% of what you write, but you're way off base here. Staal spoiled an otherwise strong performance with a really bad
outlet pass.

The real culprit for the loss? Our late 3rd period power play. we needed to make that dirty primadonna pay and we didn't.
The Rangers played like crap yesterday and gave the Cap's still had a tough time.

Staal was 100% to blame but Drury did have the puck on his stick with a chance to clear it.

I am just tired of all the love Drury gets on this board like he adds so much.

I don't go into a game saying I am going to just hate on Drury because I don't do that...I want him to succeed but he really doesn't do much.

Old
04-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3589 View Post
Sure Staal is the main culprit here, I think everyone knows that.

Still though, part of me wants Chris Drury to get that puck out, and if he doesn't, not leave the zone with 3 dangerous Caps players in the zone.

For a guy who was on the ice only for 14 mins and prides himself on doing the little things right even if he is struggling, I want him to get the job done there. Give the kid who's played nearly half the game (mostly vs #8) an outlet on the halfboards there.
wow, someone who actually understands the game. Drury's lovers never see the wrong.

He had a nice little game...jesus, that makes me want to puke...he is the captain making boatloads of money and brings nothing...oh wait, he won 6 of 8 faceoffs, great.

Old
04-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
BTW, apparently Drury was 75% on faceoffs last night (6 of 8). Too bad Dubinsky was brutal at 35% (7 of 20) and Boyle at an average 50% (12 of 24).
Boyle won a couple in the defensive zone in OT last night, if I remember correctly. That was impressive.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:51 AM
mullichicken25

i get why he's in the lineup

but i dont get why he's not taking all the faceoffs in the defensive zone when he's on the ice

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:21 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Obviously, not much. Why would Drury stay in the zone when there are 3 guys between him and Staal? Staal shouldn't even be thinking about doing anything with the puck other than going behind the net with it.

And Drury couldn't get it out because Jason Arnott, a solid, smart, veteran two-way forward was right next to him and made a good play. Just because Arnott made a good play doesn't mean Drury made a bad one. That's not how things work. Drury did everything right. He can't control where Arnott is in relation to him.

Drury played a very nice game. If you want a reason for why the Rangers lost, try creating virtually zero offense for 4 periods.

why would drury stay in the zone? really? we're really asking this question?

anyone who has played peewee hockey knows that its probably a bad idea to be cherry pickin at center ice while your dman is standing in the corner with the puck and NO ONE to pass it to. granted he should've wound it around the other way but there is absoilutely no excuse for all 3 offensemen being at center ice and not giving any sort of outlet options, its basic fundamental hockey. Drury's absence from the play is especially disheartening since it was his muff'd play at the blue line that led to the whole disaster. He may be a shadow of his former self physically but i wouldve never imagined him completely losing his mind which is exactly what happened. No one in thier right mind coughs up the puck at the blue line and just continues to wonder out to center ice just because the dman has the puck...moronic to say the least. If you cough it up at the blueline and your the last one seen coming back after the goal is scored on your turnover...something is wrong.

was el capitan actually interviewed? i shut it off after watching torts pull his nightly 8 yr old tantrum.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:40 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
why would drury stay in the zone? really? we're really asking this question?

anyone who has played peewee hockey knows that its probably a bad idea to be cherry pickin at center ice while your dman is standing in the corner with the puck and NO ONE to pass it to. granted he should've wound it around the other way but there is absoilutely no excuse for all 3 offensemen being at center ice and not giving any sort of outlet options, its basic fundamental hockey. Drury's absence from the play is especially disheartening since it was his muff'd play at the blue line that led to the whole disaster. He may be a shadow of his former self physically but i wouldve never imagined him completely losing his mind which is exactly what happened. No one in thier right mind coughs up the puck at the blue line and just continues to wonder out to center ice just because the dman has the puck...moronic to say the least. If you cough it up at the blueline and your the last one seen coming back after the goal is scored on your turnover...something is wrong.

was el capitan actually interviewed? i shut it off after watching torts pull his nightly 8 yr old tantrum.
I couldn't disagree more. That is a basic hockey 101 play for Staal. There is no way that Drury is going to know that Staal is going to make such an egregious brain fart. There is only one play for Staal to make. If he makes the play, the Rangers have a an odd-man rush. It's a rare opportunity for the Rangers to get a scoring chance in a game where they had precious few.

Drury isn't a mind reader. He leaves the zone because he sees the chance developing. It doesn't develop because Staal makes a terrible play.

And to say that he coughed the puck up at the blueline is absurd. He didn't pass the puck to an opposing player. He got stickchecked from behind as he was about to clear the puck. It happens. As do mistakes like the one Staal made. Pinning the loss on Staal isn't the point here. The loss is due to the fact that the Rangers generate no offense. But as for that goal, how you can say that's Drury's fault is beyond me.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:44 AM
rangersfan111

that last goal was 100% drury's fault .. Drury could have easily cleared the puck and was two feet from the blue line... instead he managed a way to **** it up and the puck goes back into the ranger corner... then Staal gets the puck, puts his head up and sees a capital coming towards him, as well as one along the boards and one in the middle of the ice... so he did all he could and tried wristing the puck along the boards... drury analyzing the situation is staying flat-footed not getting back and looking like and idiot...
he played a solid game up until that point ... but that was a critical play
he is hurting this team

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I thought he was good last night.

Doesn't seem like he can take many faceoffs though as Boyle was the primary over him.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:

Wait what? So since Arnott made a good play by taking advantage of Drury's ineptness that means Drury didn't make a bad play.

Let's put it this way, what you're saying can apply to essentially anything. Girardi didn't make a bad play on Ovechkin because Ovechkin took the puck from a falling girardi and went to the net with it. Ovechkin is a good player, therefore you can't blame girardi for getting flatfooted and falling behind OVI.

Old
04-14-2011, 12:01 PM
OverTheCap

The Drury hate is out of control. Yes, he couldn't clear the puck, but Sting is right, Arnott made a good play. People are making it seem like if it was anyone but Drury on that play, then the puck would have been cleared, which is not necessarily true. Arnott makes that play on any of our other forwards and the result is probably the same: the puck doesn't get cleared out.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:03 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan111 View Post
that last goal was 100% drury's fault .. Drury could have easily cleared the puck and was two feet from the blue line... instead he managed a way to **** it up and the puck goes back into the ranger corner... then Staal gets the puck, puts his head up and sees a capital coming towards him, as well as one along the boards and one in the middle of the ice... so he did all he could and tried wristing the puck along the boards... drury analyzing the situation is staying flat-footed not getting back and looking like and idiot...
he played a solid game up until that point ... but that was a critical play
he is hurting this team
What a dumb post. Because you don't like Drury, he screwed up/because you like Staal, he had no choice and did his best.

Drury's a right-handed shot, so he had to get the puck on his forehand, otherwise he would have backhanded the puck right into the Caps defenceman. That gave Arnott time to get back and make a great play to strip the puck. The puck still went to Staal, who made a poor clearance attempt - he shouldn't have tried to clear it along the ice - which Arnott again made the play on.

You're right, if Drury had been able to clear the puck, there would have been no goal -- let's be honest here, the goal was a mostly a result of a great shift from Arnott. If have to blame a Ranger for the second Caps goal: Staal had a great game overall, but he was on the ice for both Caps goals and the second one was as much his fault as Drury's.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
What a dumb post. Drury's a right-handed shot, so he had to get the puck on his forehand, otherwise he would have backhanded the puck right into the Caps defenceman. That gave Arnott time to get back and make a great play to strip the puck. The puck still went to Staal, who made a poor clearance attempt - he shouldn't have tried to clear it along the ice - which Arnott again made the play on.

You're right, if Drury had been able to clear the puck, there would have been no goal -- but let's be honest here, the goal was a mostly a result of a great shift from Arnott. If have to blame a Ranger for the second Caps goal: Staal had a great game overall, but he was on the ice for both Caps goals and the second one was more his fault than Drury's.
I agree with this. Although Arnott took advantage of drury, that can't be denied.

Regardless, I thought he played well.

Old
04-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Richard Brads

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. That is a basic hockey 101 play for Staal. There is no way that Drury is going to know that Staal is going to make such an egregious brain fart. There is only one play for Staal to make. If he makes the play, the Rangers have a an odd-man rush. It's a rare opportunity for the Rangers to get a scoring chance in a game where they had precious few.

Drury isn't a mind reader. He leaves the zone because he sees the chance developing. It doesn't develop because Staal makes a terrible play.

And to say that he coughed the puck up at the blueline is absurd. He didn't pass the puck to an opposing player. He got stickchecked from behind as he was about to clear the puck. It happens. As do mistakes like the one Staal made. Pinning the loss on Staal isn't the point here. The loss is due to the fact that the Rangers generate no offense. But as for that goal, how you can say that's Drury's fault is beyond me.
what? why would he leave staal with only one play to make? he should have come back into the zone to give staal another option. i just don't see any reason someone can give for a defensive minded player leaving the defensive zone late in a playoff OT period when three opposing players are bearing down on your defenseman. not that it was all drury's fault, but he deserves part of the blame

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote