HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Drury returns, he could help Rangers on draws

Old
04-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Drury = zero impact on this team
I am starting to think this is going to go down as the worst free agent signing of all time. 7 mil for 1 goal........unreal.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
It's not that Torts doesn't trust him--IMO it's more that he knows that Drury is shot--that he's not going to bring any offense or make a big play when the team needs it. Again here is what I see--the Caps are running 4 lines--every single player knows what role he needs to fill. They're not just more talented on the top lines but they're outgrinding us on the bottom ones. Losing Callahan put Tortorella in the unenviable situation of trying to mix and match players to lines. The Rangers are not set in their roles the way the Caps are.

But talking of Drury--in hockey terms he's an old man. Specifically his skating lags behind almost all of his teammates--exceptions Prospal and McCabe. Drury is not a good fit as a grinding player which is where Torts has him now--he can take a hit okay but keeping the puck is another thing and he doesn't play a very physical game. Playoffs turn into wars of attrition. When Drury was a scoring threat a few years ago--he could do what he did best then--find seams in the D and knock in goals and he could get away with not having to be a physical player. He just doesn't seem to fit anywhere anymore.

Drury has not however made a bunch of big, huge blunders that have led to Capitals goals so I can't really see how he is sinking the ship. He's just not accomplishing anything meaningful for his team.
Drury is finished...that is all I am trying to say!

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I am starting to think this is going to go down as the worst free agent signing of all time. 7 mil for 1 goal........unreal.
Even Gomez has stepped up in the playoffs.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

The thread-title makes me laugh everytime I see it. Our 7 million man will help us out on the draws! Yayah!

It's sad.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:11 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Drury is finished...that is all I am trying to say!

We agree.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:17 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
The thread-title makes me laugh everytime I see it. Our 7 million man will help us out on the draws! Yayah!

It's sad.
Sad--yes. I don't get it either but I'm back on the list of 'haters'. I look at the cap space he takes up and think just how much better we could be if we had a player (or players) who could actually do something for us to earn it. $7 mil flushed right down the toilet this year.

Old
04-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Wade Redden says hello

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Sad--yes. I don't get it either but I'm back on the list of 'haters'. I look at the cap space he takes up and think just how much better we could be if we had a player (or players) who could actually do something for us to earn it. $7 mil flushed right down the toilet this year.
Who would have thought that Zenon Knoopka[sp?]would have been a better fit for us than Drury and about 6.5 Million a year cheaper and better on the draw at that LOL .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 05:26 PM
eco's bones

Drury only got about 8 minutes of ice time today but Torts used him on a lot of faceoffs and he did get 15 out of 19--can't argue with that. He might not have the legs anymore but that was a good day.

Old
04-17-2011, 05:43 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Drury only got about 8 minutes of ice time today but Torts used him on a lot of faceoffs and he did get 15 out of 19--can't argue with that. He might not have the legs anymore but that was a good day.
15-4 on draws? That's huge for a team as poor on faceoffs as we are.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Didn't see the game, but it certainly looks like Drury's ability on faceoffs did help today.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
yea he has helped on draws for sure but I agree, 7 million for a 4th line C, whippy doo. Buy him out regardless

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 06:12 PM
broadwayblue

Extend him now!

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 06:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yea he has helped on draws for sure but I agree, 7 million for a 4th line C, whippy doo. Buy him out regardless
I don't think anyone is claiming that his faceoff ability warrants $7M. He was never worth that amount and never will be. But we established that long ago...not sure why it needs to be mentioned over and over again...

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
I don't think anyone is claiming that his faceoff ability warrants $7M. He was never worth that amount and never will be. But we established that long ago...not sure why it needs to be mentioned over and over again...
true true. Unfortunately for him the cap hit just can't be over looked by most of us. but trying to be positive money aside I think he helps the team alot with his leadership, Pking, Draws and overall playoff experience.

I like Dru and I think he does alot of good things but the fan base is always going to joke about his role

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:30 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I agree--but give props where they're due--he still had a good day.

Old
04-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Bardof425*

I know people are going to yell and scream but Drury needs to be on the first PP unit. We lose every faceoff, give the Caps an easy out and then we rarely establish possession in the O zone after that. Also, the goalie will freeze everything because we cannot win a draw. Besides Drury, although not a great skater knows how to score dirty goals and would help in front of the net on the PP. To me it's a no brainer. This use of Brian Boyle in that role is comical.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:01 AM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Put Drury on the powerplay, use him for draws and net presence. He doesn't have the skills anymore, but you don't need "skills" to score garbage goals, which Drury can still do.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I wouldn't mind Drury on the power play, certainly not with the performance of it so far.

I wanted him in over Stepan on the 5 on 3, for sure.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:09 AM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I wouldn't mind Drury on the power play, certainly not with the performance of it so far.

I wanted him in over Stepan on the 5 on 3, for sure.
Stepan looks terrible out there. He's been a defensive liability on nearly every shift.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
I know people are going to yell and scream but Drury needs to be on the first PP unit. We lose every faceoff, give the Caps an easy out and then we rarely establish possession in the O zone after that. Also, the goalie will freeze everything because we cannot win a draw. Besides Drury, although not a great skater knows how to score dirty goals and would help in front of the net on the PP. To me it's a no brainer. This use of Brian Boyle in that role is comical.
To be honest, I dont know why these hasnt been tried yet considering the abysmal state of the powerplay. We all know Drury has lost a step, but he made quite a living in his career being able to park himself in front during the powerplay and pick up garbage goals. I dont see what would stop him from contributing in that way even in his declined state. His dominance in the faceoff circle only helps that argument.

Furthermore, the Drury haters are showing their true colors as this series goes on. I see more and more folks unable to give Drury any credit because of his contract, which really means jack**** during this time of year. In my opinion, hes had a pretty good series doing whats been asked of him considering the current state of his game.

And yes, hes been more effective than Anisimov and Stepan.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Drury has been far better than Step. And in the playoffs, I couldnt give two ***** what he makes for salary.

Arty has been fantastic in his own zone, though. One of our best defensive forwards along with Fedotenko.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:22 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Since I brought up the stat of Drury's winning 15 of 19 draws I'll also bring this stat up since apparently Boyle being on the pwp amuses you. Boyle had 9 shots on goal yesterday. His line (Avery (later Fedotenko) and Prust) was our best line for the balance of the game. The Rangers pwp started getting opportunities after Torts put Boyle on it and Boyle was around the net causing some havoc. He's hard to move. He was jamming the area in front of the net and trying to jam the puck through.

I'm not sure Drury's other skills apart from the faceoff factor merits him being on the pwp. I'm not sure that they are still there anyway or that experimenting now to find out is a good idea.

Old
04-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Since I brought up the stat of Drury's winning 15 of 19 draws I'll also bring this stat up since apparently Boyle being on the pwp amuses you. Boyle had 9 shots on goal yesterday. His line (Avery (later Fedotenko) and Prust) was our best line for the balance of the game. The Rangers pwp started getting opportunities after Torts put Boyle on it and Boyle was around the net causing some havoc. He's hard to move. He was jamming the area in front of the net and trying to jam the puck through.

I'm not sure Drury's other skills apart from the faceoff factor merits him being on the pwp. I'm not sure that they are still there anyway or that experimenting now to find out is a good idea.
All fair points, but I think Drury's track record as a contributor on the powerplay combined with the current abysmal state of this PP warrants him at least a shot.

Derek Stepan (and God bless him because hes had a wonderful rookie year) is lost out there. He was particularly bad on the 5 on 3, trying to be far too fancy.

Drury has shown a nose for the net/garbage goals during his career and it fits with that team needs to do in order to be successful. He deserves a shot.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
All fair points, but I think Drury's track record as a contributor on the powerplay combined with the current abysmal state of this PP warrants him at least a shot.

Derek Stepan (and God bless him because hes had a wonderful rookie year) is lost out there. He was particularly bad on the 5 on 3, trying to be far too fancy.

Drury has shown a nose for the net/garbage goals during his career and it fits with that team needs to do in order to be successful. He deserves a shot.
I don't disagree with this, he forced that pass early on, and it was dreadful. He seems a bit lost overall this post-season, but it's his first go round, so it's okay.

However, on that 5-on-3 he and Gaborik(I think? Mayne McCabe) played pitch and catch while everyone else stood still. I'm sorry but I blame lack of movement more than anything.

Section 409 is offline   Reply With Quote