HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Drury returns, he could help Rangers on draws

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2011, 08:42 PM
  #176
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,292
vCash: 500
If we were talking about politics I might agree that almost always anyway the majority consensus on most issues is wrong--and it's generally because opinion tends to be formed by one kind of mass media propaganda or another.

As far as sports goes however--hockey is a young player's game--at or about 32 most players start on some kind of decline. Not the case with everyone but in the case of Drury it is. Drury doesn't have the legs anymore and for a comparison Prospal doesn't either but Prospal is still able to produce because he's more creative with the puck--for now he can still live off his wits and he has at least a modicum of chemistry with whatever linemates he plays with. Drury's game--at least with us has never been about creativity or chemistry. He's never had steady linemates and to be honest he's never been much about setting up his wingers. He's a shoot first guy and IMO we should have had him on the wing a long time ago. Another opinion--the older he's gotten the more this shoot first mentality hurts him.

This whole argument started by Larry Brooks about faceoffs etc. is a little bit silly to me. We've been crappy all year on faceoffs. Despite that we're still a better team than last year. A team that's won a lot more than it's lost and one intersting stat is our goals for--goals against differential is among the top 3 or 4 in the league. How much have these faceoffs really hurt us? FWIW Blair Betts is just as good as Drury at faceoffs, better defensively at even strength than Drury and just as good a penalty killer--he's faster and at this point in time he's more of a scoring threat. Drury can grit games out. Okay. We watched the Rangers today grit one out against Boston--and they've done this a number of times this season. Wolski, Christensen etc. gritted today's game out too. They're too soft?--yeah. Apart from blocking shots Drury's kind of soft too. And I don't know if we were any better on faceoffs today than the usual.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:08 AM
  #177
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Skills were never central to Drury's game to begin with, so if he's got less of them than he did to begin with, it's not going to hamper his ability to do what is central to his game: proper positioning and excellent anticipation. And the notion that he didn't earn PP time is ridiculous. When Tortorella got here, he not only cut Drury's PP time in half, despite the fact that in 07-08, Drury matched his average career offensive output, but he took him off of the first unit on a team that is bereft of offensive talent to begin with, and worst of all, placed him at the point of all places. The PP, meanwhile, continues to be mediocre at best and awful at worst.

Aside from a handful of games, and never with any consistency, Drury has never been given the chance to play with the talented offensive players on the top power play unit in front of the net, where the majority of his offensive production throughout his career has come from. As much as I like Drury as a player, at this point I can't wait for him to no longer be a Ranger, if only so that I never have to hear people talk about how a third-line defensive minded role player hasn't earned top line minutes ever again.



And I just think that the only aspect of Drury's game of any real importance that's eroded is his speed, but not enough that he still can't be a useful player or do the things that he has always done successfully. If I've learned ANYTHING about sports throughout my life-long passion for them, it's that when most people think something, the safe bet is to be on the other side of the argument. The fact that most people think Drury sucks is hardly surprising, but if anything, it's more than enough for me to be assured that he doesn't (not that a career as one of the smartest, most fundamentally sound defensive forwards in the league isn't more than enough all on its own).



Never said I predicted injuries, just that I thought the team would finish in in the 7-10 range (and that's no great feat, anyone with basic knowledge of the league should have been able to come to that hypothesis). Definitely did not think Boyle would score 20 goals, but I can think of only 4 or 5 people that have been as adamant as I have for a number of years now about how criminally underrated Sauer was and how good he was going to become. I was a big fan of McDonagh, too. Never had any doubt that he'd be very good, I just thought he would be the primary piece going to Dallas in a deal for Richards. Still think it's imperative that the Rangers get Richards, but obviously I'm glad they won't be giving up anything of value like McDonagh for him. Regardless, in this conference, with the quality role players and world-class goaltender we have, this team is a 7-10 team, injuries or not.

In case you haven't noticed, the Islanders have played the entire season without their best player and half of the season without another one of their top players. The Devils played the entire season without Parise. Buffalo has been without their best all-around offensive player, Derek Roy, for most of the season. A ton of Florida's players missed games. Spezza, Alfie, and Michalek have all missed a chunk of time for the Senators this season.



If you said any of this, it certainly wasn't in this thread, and thus, not something I was referring to. What you said regarding Frolov in this thread was the following:

do you mean that you EXPECTED this team to do what they're doing with all the injuries and lack of any usefulness from Frolov and drury?

The fact that you feel Frolov failed to provide anything useful this season would inherently lead one to believe that you expected something different from him than what he gave. Not only was your expectation misguided, but so is your analysis of Frolov's performance. Frolov provided something useful, just not what you and others may have desired him to.



It's a matter of decency, which you've repeatedly proven you lack. When you yourself are rude, condescending, routinely litter the board with inane and ignorant posts, hi-jack and kill threads at a record pace, and spend more time flinging accusations at people than you do contributing insightful and/or informative content to the board, as a matter of decency, you've forfeited the right to go around policing this board as if you are a figure of authority, which you (thankfully) are not.

EDIT: And if you're going to insist on continuing to send me private messages despite my numerous attempts to make it clear to you that I find you and your messages to be creepy and inappropriate, at least make room in your very busy inbox so that you can receive my one and final response to you.
You're going in circles with this drury thing. The guy had skills, period. He doesn;t anymore, period. He couldn't contribute on the PP and he didn't. As I said to continue to insinuate he was the only one who couldn't figure out how to make himself more of a contributor on a team where everyone has to contribute does a real disservice to Dru. He unfortunately got old.

Told you many times unless your goal is to create a sideshow than insult me in PM. If you have a legitamate critique that's fine but you never do. It's hockey. Again why don't you just try talking to people like human beings, that's all? I have nothing to do with you talking to other people nicely. We are just fans, nothing more. Chill.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 06:35 AM
  #178
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,552
vCash: 500
What are the odds that Drury is healthy enough to play right now, but is being held out by management?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 07:10 AM
  #179
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,292
vCash: 500
Here are arguably the 4 areas where Drury might help us.

1) Faceoffs--Rangers are 28th in the league. The Rangers have been bad all year though there's been some improvement in the second half. Either way this team as compared to last year's is better. Rangers goals for--goals against differential is one of the best in the league. How much has this hurt us?

2) Penalty kill--Rangers are 12th in the league. On any given day we could be anywhere from 9th to 14th as teams are packed closely in this category. I would characterize our pk as good especially considering we've scored quite a number of SH goals. I have no problem with our penalty killing forwards.

3) Leadership--Really the young guys have stepped forward this year. Callahan or Staal should be our captain.

4) Playoff experience--Drury has a lot of this and is known for his clutch goals. I'd hesitate to call it an intangible as some are not sure what that means. The past two seasons there have been very few clutch plays. His ability to get up and down the ice with his linemates leads me to suspect clutch plays in the offensive end are a thing of the past.

Really I don't see where Chris is going to have more than a negligible impact on the 4 areas mentioned above and certainly not enough that would lead me to want to pull any other forward including Avery (13th forward?) out of our lineup. We're making it to the playoffs with them--we should stay with them.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:42 AM
  #180
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,712
vCash: 500
I agree with you. I can't see any real improvement in dressing Drury over any of the forwards in the lineup. At center, I rather play Christensen, Anisimov and Stepan, because they're better offensively than Drury. Defensively, I rather see Boyle, because he's better offensively and the difference in defense doesn't upweigh enough.

The only players I see him compete with, in terms of role and character, are Fedotenko and Prust. There is no way in hell Prust would ever sit in favour of Drury, since Prust is playing like Drury should have. I also rather have Fedotenko dressed, because his size and puck control is above Drury.

So no, I can't see how Drury would improve this team and at the cost of who. The problem isn't keeping the pucks out of our net, it is scoring in theirs.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:55 AM
  #181
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,538
vCash: 500
Is it wrong I already have written Drury off this team? It's obvious they don't need him but I doubt he retires and goes out on an injury. He's not that old but it's going to take a buy out.

I'll gitty with optimism July 1st with eyes glued to the Rangers signing Brad Richards. If they lose out on him fine just continue with the kids but if they get him look out. I figure if they lose out then money is spent on the D and if not not DZ and V-tank are going to be the new 3rd pairing with maybe Eminger still around. He deserves anther yr. Can't believe I am saying that but it's true.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:07 AM
  #182
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
This team doesn't need a human penalty killer who isn't even a capable penalty killer.

Completely serious. You guys keep bringing up the pk as one of his assets. SAY WHAT? Yea, he'll give up his body but that is literally the only thing you can check off in terms of successful penalty killing.

Things he can't do...
- position himself properly due to his lack of agility
- win a puck battle
- carry the puck (would rather dump it)
- dump the puck (would most likely flub it)
- kill time off the clock in the offensive zone

And as the human penalty killer he brings the same mentality when we are down a man to his 5 on 5 play. Its just so brutal to watch. The mentality is just all sorts of wrong and the execution of it is even worse. He has the worst ability to make the puck do what he wants of any player I've ever seen. This involves shooting, passing, chipping off the boards, cycling, etc. Its just so embarrassing. He messes up like 95% of the time.

If we all can't agree on this and move on then how are we supposed to intelligently discuss topics that are actually debatable?

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:20 PM
  #183
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,166
vCash: 500
Chris Drury is a solid PKer, now youre just hating for hatings sake. what i like about bringing him in for the playoffs is it allows us to save some of our more important players, Cally, Dubi, etc, for more ES and PP minutes...give more of the SH situations to Prust and Drury, fewer to Cally and Dubi. Maybe the lines in the playoffs can be something like...

Prospal - Stepan - Gabby
Dubi - AA - Cally
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust
Wolski - Drury - Avery

something like that...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 03:37 PM
  #184
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Chris Drury is a solid PKer, now youre just hating for hatings sake. what i like about bringing him in for the playoffs is it allows us to save some of our more important players, Cally, Dubi, etc, for more ES and PP minutes...give more of the SH situations to Prust and Drury, fewer to Cally and Dubi. Maybe the lines in the playoffs can be something like...

Prospal - Stepan - Gabby
Dubi - AA - Cally
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust
Wolski - Drury - Avery

something like that...
Rangers use Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Boyle, Fedotenko, Prust and Stepan as pk'ers. We've got enough guys. Injuries come along and he's an option. The two guys you leave out--Christensen and Zuccarello. I want Zuccarello to be getting some kind of playoff experience. He has a future. Need to reiterate something Tortorella has said all season long which I'm on board with--'The kids are going to play.' Christensen is not as big a deal but I still think he belongs ahead of Drury. He's not consistent but he's had his moments. He also works better with Gaborik than most. One thing about moving Drury in between Avery and Wolski is you're likely to waste whatever offensive effectiveness that Wolski might bring. I don't think there's likely to be much of any chemistry between the two.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 04:29 PM
  #185
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Bringing Drury back makes no more sense than bringing Messier or Bobby Orr back.

Just because you might know what to do doesn't mean you are physically capable of doing it.

This is just Ranger hater Brooks looking to cause trouble as usual.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 05:26 PM
  #186
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,579
vCash: 500
Drury should sit. The current lineup is fine. Personally I also like Avery over Wolski.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 05:28 PM
  #187
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings
 
DMPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 21,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
What are the odds that Drury is healthy enough to play right now, but is being held out by management?
I've honestly been wondering this since he was injured in the first place. I guess we'll see if he makes a return in the playoffs. (No jinx.) If not you really have to wonder if they just thought he wasn't a fit for the team anymore other than a character guy in the locker room.

DMPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:31 AM
  #188
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
He scored 37 goals and 69 points while missing 5 games. I'm pretty sure he wasn't on Buffalo's third line.
30 of those points came on special teams (17 PPG, 10 PPA, 3 SHG). So that leaves 39 even strength points. Sounds about right for a good 3rd liner.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:01 PM
  #189
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
What are the odds that Drury is healthy enough to play right now, but is being held out by management?
Very possible, IMHO. So, what? I don't get this heated argument over him. He could be brought in, then he could be sat. It is not like point of no return or something. One or two games will show what to do with Chris. If he is ready, we will see him in those regular season games that no longer matter (if we ever get to such a luxury). If we get to playoffs, everything will lose the importance: we're not supposed to go the next round, Slats/ Torts keep thier jobs, etc. They could play Drury or whoever...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:13 PM
  #190
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
This whole argument started by Larry Brooks about faceoffs etc. is a little bit silly to me. We've been crappy all year on faceoffs. Despite that we're still a better team than last year. A team that's won a lot more than it's lost and one intersting stat is our goals for--goals against differential is among the top 3 or 4 in the league. How much have these faceoffs really hurt us? FWIW Blair Betts is just as good as Drury at faceoffs, better defensively at even strength than Drury and just as good a penalty killer--he's faster and at this point in time he's more of a scoring threat. Drury can grit games out. Okay. We watched the Rangers today grit one out against Boston--and they've done this a number of times this season. Wolski, Christensen etc. gritted today's game out too. They're too soft?--yeah. Apart from blocking shots Drury's kind of soft too. And I don't know if we were any better on faceoffs today than the usual.
I agree that Drury will not do alot to help this team at this point. However, Blair Betts?? He's not more of a scoring threat and he was poor on draws with the Rangers while Dru is one of the truly talented faceoff guys. Also, to say that Drury is soft ignores the fact that he has always scored from the tough areas on the ice; the crease and slot area. Blair Betts should not ever be mentioned in the same breath as Chris Drury and Drury was a better pk player simple because he won more draws which lead to more clears than Betts who lost most of his draws which created the need to chase the puck in the D-zone. Betts, was, is and apparently will always be an overrated defensive player.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:59 PM
  #191
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,557
vCash: 500
Im not here to make excuses for Drury, his contract was/is out of control and hes clearly lost a step. But it seems that the ridiculous deal he signed and the obvious signs of decline are making their way into hatchet jobs on Drury the person/Drury the teammate, and that doesnt sit right with me. After watching him play throughout his career, and these last 3+ seasons as a Ranger, I dont know how anyone could say Drury hasnt given everything he has.

Truth be told, I dont know if he'll help the team much if hes able to come back from this latest injury, but I know he wont hurt it. Specifically, he wont let himself hurt the team, and thats what I find most admirable about Chris Drury. (Cue the redundant and all-too-predictable responses about how retiring is what will really help the team).

The truth of the matter is this team has been successful lately playing a more defensive-oriented brand of hockey. Kind of ironic considering our coach came in blaring that "safe is death" motto. But alas, lacking high-end offensive talent will cause any coach to adapt. With that said, getting a healthy Drury into the lineup would only help as far as Im concerned.

And when you look at who would sit if Drury returns, the obvious candidates are Christensen and Zuccarello. Some people are complaining about this because EC and MZA have "higher offensive upside." Well, what good is that offensive ability when they cannot score consistently?

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:00 PM
  #192
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,660
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im not here to make excuses for Drury, his contract was/is out of control and hes clearly lost a step. But it seems that the ridiculous deal he signed and the obvious signs of decline are making their way into hatchet jobs on Drury the person/Drury the teammate, and that doesnt sit right with me. After watching him play throughout his career, and these last 3+ seasons as a Ranger, I dont know how anyone could say Drury hasnt given everything he has.

Truth be told, I dont know if he'll help the team much if hes able to come back from this latest injury, but I know he wont hurt it. Specifically, he wont let himself hurt the team, and thats what I find most admirable about Chris Drury. (Cue the redundant and all-too-predictable responses about how retiring is what will really help the team).

The truth of the matter is this team has been successful lately playing a more defensive-oriented brand of hockey. Kind of ironic considering our coach came in blaring that "safe is death" motto. But alas, lacking high-end offensive talent will cause any coach to adapt. With that said, getting a healthy Drury into the lineup would only help as far as Im concerned.

And when you look at who would sit if Drury returns, the obvious candidates are Christensen and Zuccarello. Some people are complaining about this because EC and MZA have "higher offensive upside." Well, what good is that offensive ability when they cannot score consistently?

Very well said.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:26 PM
  #193
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im not here to make excuses for Drury, his contract was/is out of control and hes clearly lost a step. But it seems that the ridiculous deal he signed and the obvious signs of decline are making their way into hatchet jobs on Drury the person/Drury the teammate, and that doesnt sit right with me. After watching him play throughout his career, and these last 3+ seasons as a Ranger, I dont know how anyone could say Drury hasnt given everything he has.

Truth be told, I dont know if he'll help the team much if hes able to come back from this latest injury, but I know he wont hurt it. Specifically, he wont let himself hurt the team, and thats what I find most admirable about Chris Drury. (Cue the redundant and all-too-predictable responses about how retiring is what will really help the team).

The truth of the matter is this team has been successful lately playing a more defensive-oriented brand of hockey. Kind of ironic considering our coach came in blaring that "safe is death" motto. But alas, lacking high-end offensive talent will cause any coach to adapt. With that said, getting a healthy Drury into the lineup would only help as far as Im concerned.

And when you look at who would sit if Drury returns, the obvious candidates are Christensen and Zuccarello. Some people are complaining about this because EC and MZA have "higher offensive upside." Well, what good is that offensive ability when they cannot score consistently?
Great post, but an issue with the bolded statement. Sure Christ and Zuccarello have trouble scoring consistently. But they have produced somewhat. Drury, although i agree gives it his all every game, not only doesn't produce, but look a step slow on defense as well. This could be due to how many games he missed this year and essentially the first half of the season. However, I don't think as a team you can take the chance of having a liability on the ice.

Players in mid season/end of season/playoff form are much different than guys who haven't played all season. This would basically drury starting his season. He's not in game shape right now. If he wants to play and isn't retiring or bought out then wait till next year and prove you belong. There's no space for him on the playoff roster this year.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:38 PM
  #194
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im not here to make excuses for Drury, his contract was/is out of control and hes clearly lost a step. But it seems that the ridiculous deal he signed and the obvious signs of decline are making their way into hatchet jobs on Drury the person/Drury the teammate, and that doesnt sit right with me. After watching him play throughout his career, and these last 3+ seasons as a Ranger, I dont know how anyone could say Drury hasnt given everything he has.

Truth be told, I dont know if he'll help the team much if hes able to come back from this latest injury, but I know he wont hurt it. Specifically, he wont let himself hurt the team, and thats what I find most admirable about Chris Drury. (Cue the redundant and all-too-predictable responses about how retiring is what will really help the team).

The truth of the matter is this team has been successful lately playing a more defensive-oriented brand of hockey. Kind of ironic considering our coach came in blaring that "safe is death" motto. But alas, lacking high-end offensive talent will cause any coach to adapt. With that said, getting a healthy Drury into the lineup would only help as far as Im concerned.

And when you look at who would sit if Drury returns, the obvious candidates are Christensen and Zuccarello. Some people are complaining about this because EC and MZA have "higher offensive upside." Well, what good is that offensive ability when they cannot score consistently?
Back again to Zuccarello. Was not a fan of Tortorella's last year but he's been better this year and one of things he's been consistent about and I agree 100% is that kids are going to play. Zuccarello has a future. Drury has a past. No way I'm taking MZA out of the lineup for Drury--especially a Drury who can't keep up. We've got penalty killers and a whole team full of guys who know how to defend. We've scored something like 37 more goals than we have given up. Go check if you don't believe me. Faceoffs might not be great but they haven't hurt us that bad. Another thing is the old sports adage--you go with the guys that got you where you are. You can say MZA and EC haven't been consistent--include Wolski as well but they've all produced something. They've all had their moments this year. Chris has not. He had time to get back into game shape. Maybe it's Tortorella not giving him enough ice time but he wasn't skating that well and he wasn't getting chances. From what I saw Torts doesn't have faith in him anymore. He might not say it out loud but when he moves Kolarik up a line or dresses Newbury instead of Drury--it doesn't take a lot to read between the lines.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:40 PM
  #195
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Great post, but an issue with the bolded statement. Sure Christ and Zuccarello have trouble scoring consistently. But they have produced somewhat. Drury, although i agree gives it his all every game, not only doesn't produce, but look a step slow on defense as well. This could be due to how many games he missed this year and essentially the first half of the season. However, I don't think as a team you can take the chance of having a liability on the ice.

Players in mid season/end of season/playoff form are much different than guys who haven't played all season. This would basically drury starting his season. He's not in game shape right now. If he wants to play and isn't retiring or bought out then wait till next year and prove you belong. There's no space for him on the playoff roster this year.
Again, I dont even really consider this season when analyzing Drury's decline. He was hurt all through training camp, came back briefly, hurt the finger again, then lumbered through 23 games with a knee problem. Is he getting old? Sure. Is there too much tread on those tires? Probably. But, if healthy - and thats a HUGE if at this point, Im still not ready to say hes a complete waste of space offensively. Even last year, he registered 32 points with mainly 4th line minutes and virtually no powerplay time. If he was provided with the same opportunities as Christensen and Zuccarello, Im pretty confident he could at least match their pretty modest offensive output.

And again, this is all provided hes healthy enough to play (which I dont even think he will be). But in a tight playoff game, he could be a valuable asset regarding faceoffs and defensive play. What he wouldnt be is stapled to the bench like Christensen and Zuccarello have been for more and more 3rd periods lately.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:43 PM
  #196
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin
 
Darrelle Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Honestly? Zuccarello, Christensen or Wolski. Three guys who are inconsistent and with no shootout in the playoffs are a bit redundant.
I agree. Zuccarello has no playoff experience and Wolski has little. Drury has more playoff experience than anyone on the team.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:00 PM
  #197
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Back again to Zuccarello. Was not a fan of Tortorella's last year but he's been better this year and one of things he's been consistent about and I agree 100% is that kids are going to play. Zuccarello has a future. Drury has a past. No way I'm taking MZA out of the lineup for Drury--especially a Drury who can't keep up. We've got penalty killers and a whole team full of guys who know how to defend. We've scored something like 37 more goals than we have given up. Go check if you don't believe me. Faceoffs might not be great but they haven't hurt us that bad. Another thing is the old sports adage--you go with the guys that got you where you are. You can say MZA and EC haven't been consistent--include Wolski as well but they've all produced something. They've all had their moments this year. Chris has not. He had time to get back into game shape. Maybe it's Tortorella not giving him enough ice time but he wasn't skating that well and he wasn't getting chances. From what I saw Torts doesn't have faith in him anymore. He might not say it out loud but when he moves Kolarik up a line or dresses Newbury instead of Drury--it doesn't take a lot to read between the lines.
Zuccarello has some nice components to his game, but I'd be careful with calling him a future cog with this franchise - especially if thats the reason for keeping him in the lineup over someone that could potentially help this team in other ways. Zuccarello will always have his size as an issue to deal with, but its quite clear hes having trouble finding space on a North American rink -a problem that will only increase in the playoffs. And lets be honest, the biggest contribution MZA (and Christensen for that matter) has made is in the shootout - good luck finding one of those in the playoffs. I, for one, and not ready to officially call Zuccarello a real part of this team's future. He's certainly not a slamdunk like some of the other younger guys we've seen come through.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:16 PM
  #198
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 9,450
vCash: 500
while some may interpret alot of this drury stuff as piling on or 'hatchet jobs', i dont agree.

some people are stuck on only seeing drury as he used to be. they are stuck on seeing him as the player he was not is. they are looking at things unrealistically.

for a moment, look at him through reality glasses. look at him as the player who can no longer skate. can no longer handle a pass. can no longer shoot and who can no longer take a regular even strength shift better than anyone already on the roster can.

it was seriously painful to watch this guy try to take a regular shift. sad really. not sure i can remember a guy whos game has gone south faster and more dramatically than his has. really, watching him made me think that retirement was his only option. he literally could not contribute. it was 1 minute shifts of clearing pucks outa the zone, missed passes and weak shots wide of the net. over and over and over.

i will take both zuc and christensen over drury every single time, defensive team or not. the playoffs involve closer, tighter, less wide open games. i think we can all agree on that, but that doesnt mean that chris drury can help us win playoff games.

when it comes down to it, and after watching this team compete recently, the last thing this team needs is another 4th line player with marginal offensive skills.

in fact, i havent once said- be it recently or at all since hes been out, ''boy, this is exactly the kind of game where we miss chris drury''.....

the fact of the matter is he hasnt been missed nor does he offer anything we dont already have.

good guy, good loyal soldier, but like all things in life, sometimes its just time to move on.

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:01 PM
  #199
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
while some may interpret alot of this drury stuff as piling on or 'hatchet jobs', i dont agree.

some people are stuck on only seeing drury as he used to be. they are stuck on seeing him as the player he was not is. they are looking at things unrealistically.

for a moment, look at him through reality glasses. look at him as the player who can no longer skate. can no longer handle a pass. can no longer shoot and who can no longer take a regular even strength shift better than anyone already on the roster can.

it was seriously painful to watch this guy try to take a regular shift. sad really. not sure i can remember a guy whos game has gone south faster and more dramatically than his has. really, watching him made me think that retirement was his only option. he literally could not contribute. it was 1 minute shifts of clearing pucks outa the zone, missed passes and weak shots wide of the net. over and over and over.

i will take both zuc and christensen over drury every single time, defensive team or not. the playoffs involve closer, tighter, less wide open games. i think we can all agree on that, but that doesnt mean that chris drury can help us win playoff games.

when it comes down to it, and after watching this team compete recently, the last thing this team needs is another 4th line player with marginal offensive skills.

in fact, i havent once said- be it recently or at all since hes been out, ''boy, this is exactly the kind of game where we miss chris drury''.....

the fact of the matter is he hasnt been missed nor does he offer anything we dont already have.

good guy, good loyal soldier, but like all things in life, sometimes its just time to move on.

You still have not convinced me that Erik Christensen and Mats Zuccarello are a better playoff option than even a broken down/declining Drury.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 04:14 PM
  #200
Alvvays
Marle **3
 
Alvvays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 60,746
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

You still have not convinced me that Erik Christensen and Mats Zuccarello are a better playoff option than even a broken down/declining Drury.
Devils advocate: Both are better offensively, and this team could use the natural talent level of those players.

I would not be opposed to sitting either of those players for Drury, but I could see why other people would disagree with it.

__________________
Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.