HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Varlamov's agent saying he is considering offers from the KHL next year

Old
03-24-2011, 07:41 AM
CapsCast

vCash: 500
Varlamov's agent saying he is considering offers from the KHL next year

According to Dimitry Chesnokov, Varlamov's Russian agent has stated that Semyon, who is an RFA next season, is considering offers from a few KHL teams.

Is this just a d-bag agent making media comments or do you think there is any validity to this?

CapsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmt1355 View Post
According to Dimitry Chesnokov, Varlamov's Russian agent has stated that Semyon, who is an RFA next season, is considering offers from a few KHL teams.

Is this just a d-bag agent making media comments or do you think there is any validity to this?
Sure hope it's fluff. I personally have felt that Varly has the higher ceiling when compared to Neuvy. He's less technically sound but is more athletic and I believe a larger frame. I don't want any of the 3 goalies being moved until absolutely necessary.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:12 AM
txpd

this was in the news and notes yesterday. my take on it is that varly's agent is sending a message that varly doesnt want to be the backup in the playoffs and doesnt want to be the back up next season.

how serious he is, who knows, but i think he's afraid he has lost the battle for the starting spot to neuvirth and that holtby makes him nervous too.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:19 AM
KeziaTML

vCash: 279
Try earning your position instead of threatening to take your ball and go home.

KeziaTML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:20 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Whether or not Varly himself has any interest in the KHL, this strikes me (especially wrt timing) mostly as the agent realizing that he has lost almost all of his leverage. They have a replacement available in-house already in Holtby, Neuvirth is already locked in to a sweetheart extension, and last I heard they were planning to have Grubauer turn pro next year as well (not impacting Varlamov directly, but potentially taking some of the pressure off of them in terms of how they handle Holtby.)

It's the best leverage he has, at least unless/until Neuvirth falters during crunch time. He'd be crazy not to investigate it as an option, although I'm wondering if he (the agent) hasn't started to overplay his hand a bit.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

While it would be unfortunate with regard to returning something for the asset, goalies don't have that much value anyway. A decision was always going to be necessary in the short term with regard to Washington's goaltending. I suspect that the Caps do see Varlamov as third most appealing right now.

The injuries have just killed him, with Neuvirth and Holtby nipping at his heels.

As with others on this successful team, players want to be here as their first choice, but there is only so much money to go around. The market value of players who play well for a successful team only appreciates. Eventually, some go without a chair when the music stops and have to sign better deals somewhere else. It might be that Varlamov will be one of the first of the lot. We'll then see what happens with the key UFAs, players who really aren't all affordable as full-year players, but rather as rentals, all on the same club.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:29 AM
txpd

does varlamov have a north american agent? i know that some of these guys have one at home and one for the nhl. if varly has an nhl agent, then his is just the russian agent running his mouth. if not, then....you dont play mcphee like this.

Old
03-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Caps may or may not take the player's threat to take a Russian job seriously, but they are not likely to forgive his decision to do it with 2-3 weeks left in the regular season. McPhee won't like that at all.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:37 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

This just proves how stupid I am for suggesting that they'd let him walk on an offer-sheet over $3m. Oh wait, it does the opposite of that.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Capitlols

Just to be clear. He's considering offers, but hasn't gotten any right? The NHL-KHL agreement would not allow for that right?

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:40 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
does varlamov have a north american agent? i know that some of these guys have one at home and one for the nhl. if varly has an nhl agent, then his is just the russian agent running his mouth. if not, then....you dont play mcphee like this.
He did have a N.A. agent and I assume he still has the same agent.

My reaction was this isn't a big deal...
1) Russian agent, not NA based agent
2) Story likely found Chesnokov, not Chesnokov contacting this Russian agent
3) This is the leverage Varlamov and his agent have (given Neuvirth's contract/play, Holtby, etc.), but this easily could be all the agent at the moment

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:46 AM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Seems to me as if Varly has been given the starting nod over Neuvy for the bulk of all the time he's been healthy this year (~50% of the games?)

What his agent should be saying is that he is considering offers from OSI to have his faulty joints replaced with bionic parts. A bionic eye to help with his shaky glove hand wouldn't hurt either.

Varly just needs to demonstrate consistency and durability before any such threats of going home carry any weight. I'd be OK with Neuvy and Holtby next year splitting a 55/45% workload.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:17 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Damn Gloves is freaking him out

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:56 AM
gintonic

I could easily see this happening. He's been so injury prone that the sad fact is, if he can't stay on the ice he won't be around. The injuries would have to be a concern for any other NHL team interested too.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Damn Gloves is freaking him out
Quick, find the Russian equivalent!

EDIT: And again, I'm fine with this. As long as the Caps retain his rights, I wouldn't mind seeing him to go Russia for a year to work out his injury problems. If he gets healthy and is successful, and if the Caps need a goalie, give him a bigger offer when his KHL contract expires.

The alternative might be to commit $3-4 million to a guy who plays 20-30 games a year, when they could be paying Holtby less than $1m.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:53 AM
txpd

oh, i think varly already has his contract offer on the table. its the same as neuvirth's. i'd imagine that he's not excited about that.

Old
03-24-2011, 11:05 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I think they are pressuring bruce to play him under the assumption he does well and will getting a big check. The problem is Bruce who i tend to think is losing patience with him and is hesitant to play him.

Varly's injuries have pushed him into a middle reliever role. Healthy now, he is an unhappy camper. I think we will see him if Neuvy falters in the loffs. Bruce has shown no inkling to change up to throw off an opponent.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Caps8112

As much as I like Varly and what hes done for us, he can go. The guy cant stay healthy enough for him to matter. Reminds me of Lethonen (spelling) from atlanta. I wanted to trade him last year while he had value, now he has none. Neuvy has earned it for now and holtby looks to be like neuvy was this year next year. GMGM has a some tough choices to make.

Caps8112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps8112 View Post
As much as I like Varly and what hes done for us, he can go. The guy cant stay healthy enough for him to matter. Reminds me of Lethonen (spelling) from atlanta. I wanted to trade him last year while he had value, now he has none. Neuvy has earned it for now and holtby looks to be like neuvy was this year next year. GMGM has a some tough choices to make.
Interesting comparison, especially with Lehtonen finally getting healthy and getting traded this year.

Any bets on what Varlamov would return? The threat of jumping to Russia won't help his trade value any.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
This just proves how stupid I am for suggesting that they'd let him walk on an offer-sheet over $3m. Oh wait, it does the opposite of that.
Nope. you're still a few cards short of that deck.

You suggested an offer sheet.

He's not going to get a North American one. If this happens, he's taking his ball and going home because he doesn't think he's going to get the playing time he wants.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:40 PM
LetsGoBears

Sounds like there may be hints of the goalie situation working itself out maybe?

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:46 PM
artilector

The whole thing sucks.

Maybe the two sides can agree on a one-year deal to figure things out. Otherwise KHL really does look increasingly likely.

I'm not yet comfortable with Neuvirth as the guy. If he ends up having a bad showing in these/his first playoffs, what then?

Varly, Kuz.. c'mon, guys.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:46 PM
HTFN

Good luck. He can sign here, or go there until he decides to come back, at which point I have to assume he'll either be back on our roster, or signed by someone else (but doesn't Russia put his RFA status on hold or something like that?)

I don't see how the Capitals don't have the upper hand in just about any scenario.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:53 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
Good luck. He can sign here, or go there until he decides to come back, at which point I have to assume he'll either be back on our roster, or signed by someone else (but doesn't Russia put his RFA status on hold or something like that?)

I don't see how the Capitals don't have the upper hand in just about any scenario.
How will the Caps have the upper hand if he just goes to Russia and stays there?

One way or another, I think once he goes back to Russia, his expected long-term value to the Caps will take a huge kit.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:05 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeziaTML View Post
Try earning your position instead of threatening to take your ball and go home.
Amen brother....

I don't see how a guy who can't stay healthy has much of a leg to stand on with regards to demanding playing time or a higher salary.

I would hate to see Varly go, but if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote