HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Varlamov's agent saying he is considering offers from the KHL next year

Old
03-24-2011, 01:07 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
How will the Caps have the upper hand if he just goes to Russia and stays there?

One way or another, I think once he goes back to Russia, his expected long-term value to the Caps will take a huge kit.
What value would that be? He's certainly not that valuable being constantly hurt.

Caps still own his rights...that's the shoe waiting to drop. If he ever wants to play in the bigs again...he's gotta play ball. Otherwise...go back to Russia and be content with being in a 2nd rate league playing against a handful of the world's best players....at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
oh, i think varly already has his contract offer on the table. its the same as neuvirth's. i'd imagine that he's not excited about that.
I think the same thing....he's not earned a dime more than Neuvy. Sorry if that hurts your feelings Varly. This is the NHL....you've gotta earn your big contract.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Goalies have to prove that they can play. Goalies who can't stay healthy, such that you really don't know, month to month, if that goalie is going to be able to go, aren't worth a whole hell of a lot in this, an absurdly crowded goaltender market. Endurance is important. Eat your Wheaties and grow up strong, Varlamov.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Bunindza

Oh, agents.

Seriously, what freakin' leverage does he have when the only reason Varly's not a starter is that he pops his crotch out of place every five games?

Bunindza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Midnight Judges

IMO his agent is just being a good agent by saying this. It says Varly is willing to walk away from the negotating table if he doesn't get the deal he wants. It may or may not be true, but it puts them more in a position of strength.

Midnight Judges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Bunindza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Judges View Post
IMO his agent is just being a good agent by saying this. It says Varly is willing to walk away from the negotating table if he doesn't get the deal he wants. It may or may not be true, but it puts them more in a position of strength.
Players that have only played 56 NHL games and can't stay healthy don't get the deals they want. That's pretty much common sense, this just makes his agent seem like a tool.

There's no power there to be gained. especially when the organization you're threatening has two other pretty good goalies waiting in the wings. Just seems silly.

I'm 99.9% sure Varly understands that, but... agents gonna agent.

Bunindza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Midnight Judges

I dunno man. That's negotiations 101: pretend like you can walk away even if you won't. As a Caps fan I don't like it either because I agree with the consensus that Varly probably has the highest ceiling of the three. But there is always leverage to be gained in a negotiation. For an agent to do that, is, well, expected - for a reason. He's not just being irrational.

Midnight Judges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:13 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
What value would that be? He's certainly not that valuable being constantly hurt.

Caps still own his rights...that's the shoe waiting to drop. If he ever wants to play in the bigs again...he's gotta play ball. Otherwise...go back to Russia and be content with being in a 2nd rate league playing against a handful of the world's best players....at best.
Well, whatever value it is. I think there's still quite a number of teams who'd take a chance. Heck, Dallas took a chance on Lehtonen based on a lot less. Plus, odds are still pretty good that at some point the injuries will stop -- he's still such a young guy and it doesn't look like a single insurmountable chronic injury that's usually a career-ender. Anyway.. I think he has value.

Otherwise.. schadenfreude in this case won't bring the Caps any closer to the Cup.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:28 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Well, whatever value it is. I think there's still quite a number of teams who'd take a chance. Heck, Dallas took a chance on Lehtonen based on a lot less...
I know Lehtonen had injury issues, but what?

Kari Lehtonen

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:54 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I know Lehtonen had injury issues, but what?

Kari Lehtonen
Pardon? I could be wrong on Lehtonen, but all I remember is him missing tons of games and then Dallas valuing him enough to give him 3m or something.

Old
03-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Judges View Post
I dunno man. That's negotiations 101: pretend like you can walk away even if you won't. A\
This

He's gotten every chance to be our #1 goalie, he either just doesn't condition himself properly or he has Rick DiPietro syndrome, either way it's not good for him. I'd be very surprised if he makes more than Neuvirth next year, a goalie who can take a heavier workload and stays healthy for the most part.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:02 PM
sk84fun_dc

The comment 'based on a lot less' was what I reacted to in your post and I linked to Lehtonen's stats via hockeydb. Here's his TSN player prrofile, too. Lehtonen is a good example of an injury prone (groin injury and back surgery) goalie, but he had a lot more experience and games played and minutes in a season compared to anything Varlamov has done to date in his 3 seasons in N.A. He was on a one year RFA contract at the time of the trade; signed a 3 year extension (all UFA seasons) a few months after the trade.

Old
03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
The comment 'based on a lot less' was what I reacted to in your post and I linked to Lehtonen's stats via hockeydb. Here's his TSN player prrofile, too. Lehtonen is a good example of an injury prone (groin injury and back surgery) goalie, but he had a lot more experience and games played and minutes in a season compared to anything Varlamov has done to date in his 3 seasons in N.A. He was on a one year RFA contract at the time of the trade; signed a 3 year extension (all UFA seasons) a few months after the trade.
OK, I guess I get it. But Lehtonen also had lesser playoff record and an established history of injuries, whereas with Varly it's.. less established

I dunno, it doesn't seem to me like Lehtonen was a significantly more proven quantity.

Old
03-24-2011, 03:35 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeziaTML View Post
Try earning your position instead of threatening to take your ball and go home.
^ what he said.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:56 PM
BPMrules

If he wants to go, let him.
He's obviously butt hurt that Neuvy is BB's first choice, and the only reason he'll get some starts in the home stretch is from mgmt, cause they see him as the only goalie we have that can win a playoff series. This results in twisting BB's arm to play him. We have Holtby and Grubauer in the pipeline, so we have some assets left, though unproven or with a small sample of their NHL ability. It'd be a shame to see Varly go for nothing, but if you can't stay healthy for more than half a season, who's going to want you, or your potentially high salary hit anyway.
I'd much rather see the 4 million he likely wants spent elsewhere, like keeping as many of our guys here as we can. In my opinion, you can be a team player and try to win a cup, or complain about your role on the team and try someplace else out.
Out of the big 3 we have in net, I always figured he'd be the one to go, anyway, tbh.

BPMrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:46 PM
romao

I tried to translate full interview of Vyacheslav Makhrensky (Varly's russian agent). In his talk to russian media he stated:
- Yesterday I had a talk with Semyon and he said - "Let's consider KHL teams' offers in the offseason".
- However, do you give top priority to offers from the NHL?
- Yes, we do. My partner Paul Pheophanos is working on this. But if we won't get the offer we will be OK with, then Semyon's returning to Russia will become possible. I think here in Russia they would be happy with coming of such good goalie.
- Have you started a negotiations with any KHL team?
- No. We only inform the teams that our client may be interested in coming back to Russia. At the moment, KHL's rights for Semyon belong to Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, that's all I can say.

romao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Devil Dancer

Those Russian interviews should always be taken with a pound of salt. The Kuz interview is a great example. The kid is playing in the KHL and someone asks him something along the lines of "would you ever consider staying here." What's he supposed to say? Hell no, you guys suck, I'm running off to NA as soon as possible?

The best Russian players still come over.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 06:23 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by romao View Post
I tried to translate full interview of Vyacheslav Makhrensky (Varly's russian agent). In his talk to russian media he stated:
- Yesterday I had a talk with Semyon and he said - "Let's consider KHL teams' offers in the offseason".
- However, do you give top priority to offers from the NHL?
- Yes, we do. My partner Paul Pheophanos is working on this. But if we won't get the offer we will be OK with, then Semyon's returning to Russia will become possible. I think here in Russia they would be happy with coming of such good goalie.
Thanks, FYI, it's Paul Theofanous.

Old
03-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Quasimoto

Send a message via AIM to Quasimoto
i would love to see varly go but for a good trade

Quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:30 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The Caps may or may not take the player's threat to take a Russian job seriously, but they are not likely to forgive his decision to do it with 2-3 weeks left in the regular season. McPhee won't like that at all.

Neither do I and neither do, I suspect, many fans of the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Amen brother....

I don't see how a guy who can't stay healthy has much of a leg to stand on with regards to demanding playing time or a higher salary.

I would hate to see Varly go, but if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Agreed. I'd rather see the Caps get a return for him but if he's just going to "take his ball and go home" then get it over with and let's move on.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Fallschirmyager

1 certainty. GMGM will qualify him to retain his rights or compensation.

3 possibilities.
a) he gets a reasonable offer from GMGM and all things considered he's insulted enough to head to the KHL.
b) he gets a reasonable offer from GMGM and chooses to test the open market and accepts a deal from another team. Whether GMGM matches depends greatly on the compensation.
c) Varly finds out nobody is going to offer him the bank he wants and realizes he's got it really good with the CAPS and takes up GMGM's original offer.

I should add that if he doesn't take the original offer.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
dont worry.

it's just an agent trying to get leverage for the best possible offer.
Only way he leaves is if GMGM hardballs him.

03-24-2011, 09:49 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

The point is that this team can't indefinitely keep all three of these guys, so it's a matter of getting value for whichever they decide doesn't fit in. Varly, Neuvy and Holtby all know that there can only be one starter and so does McPhee. They're not naive about it in the least and hardball will eventually be played, it's a matter of when and not if.

Last edited by BadHammy*: 03-24-2011 at 10:01 PM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:59 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
The point is that this team can't indefinitely keep all three of these guys, so it's a matter of getting value for whichever they decide doesn't fit in. Varly, Neuvy and Holtby all know that there can only be one starter and so does McPhee. They're not naive about it in the least and hardball will eventually be played, it's a matter of when and not if.
not naive in the slightest. not in a hurry either. i suppose varly could force the issue, but that probably would not make a good impression on other nhl bosses. nor does the threat to jump to the khl instill confidence that he would stay anywhere he might go.

the caps have more developement time with holtby a free ride to hershey and back. they have plenty of rfa time with varly and neuvirth. both of them as of this moment have some good playoff indicators on their resume. no need to rush.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 02:20 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
not naive in the slightest. not in a hurry either. i suppose varly could force the issue, but that probably would not make a good impression on other nhl bosses. nor does the threat to jump to the khl instill confidence that he would stay anywhere he might go.

the caps have more developement time with holtby a free ride to hershey and back. they have plenty of rfa time with varly and neuvirth. both of them as of this moment have some good playoff indicators on their resume. no need to rush.
Good point but the salary cap could be a huge issue next year, especially since the bonus cushion will be gone. If you want Varly back next year, then you may need to let someone else go.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 02:42 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

I think this is all about Neuvirth now.

I'm sure Varly is OK mentally with his current playing time because he got every opportunity this season when he was healthy. I don't sense that Varly (with everything I've read about him) could feel himself discriminated.

The problem is simple. When he is healthy - he is playing, he is getting important starts. Everything is great. When he is not healthy - there is no sense to point to BB and say that he isn't giving the needed ice time for Semyon.

So the leverage is lost.

But the last question is about Neuvirth. Can he handle NHL playoffs? If YES, then Varly can get as much as 1-1,5M and just try to make a better season next year.

McPhee should not in any circumstances pay Varly any different than he's doing with Neuvirth.

I don't believe Varly will go to the KHL if the club will offer appropriate contract.

It should be all agent now.

PS: As much as I love Varly I think club is OK with Neuvirth and Holtby (ofc IF both will handle NHL as good as Varly - that's remain to be seen).

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote