HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps most likely 1st round opponent

Old
03-28-2011, 08:41 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Ideally, the Caps and Pens finish 1st and 2nd in the East, in any order.
This. I have to say, for as much as I shudder even thinking about the Pens, what that TEAM has done since January is nothing short of spectacular.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:06 AM
txpd

Penguins since Malkin went down. 23 games. 11 games in regulation. 12 games in OT/SO. record in regulation/3-8. record in OT/3-3. record in SO/5-1.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:06 AM
bgroban

Interesting fact about the Caps and Ovy:

Currently, the Caps are 20th in the League in goals per game.

If Ovy has 20 more goals, the Caps would be 7th in the League in goals per game.

I'll happily take his more well-rounded game - I think it will serve the team better in the long-run - but it's interesting how much our offense goes through him.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:19 AM
hoopla

no matter who the caps get, they're not winning the cup this year! western conference team with a solid shotdown third line and a consistent goalie will win it again this year. it'll be fun to watch the caps-rangers 1st round series though.

hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:22 AM
txpd

which consistant goalie? if its about goaltending then it has to be phoenix, nashville or anaheim.

Old
03-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Ideally, the Caps and Pens finish 1st and 2nd in the East, in any order.
why? I dont want Philly until the ECF. Ideally, the Flyers and Caps finish 1 and 2. If we finish 1st, and the Pens 2nd...then we'd get Philly in round 2 if we make it that far. Were we to somehow get by the Flyers...we then have to face a Bruins or Crosby lead Pens team? No thanks.

How is that ideal?

If we play the Pens, I want it to be as soon as possible.

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:46 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

there's no ideal. we get who we get, we win, we don't, whatever.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Fleury4ever

The Rangers are the 4th best team in the conference (unless Crosby returns), behind DC, Boston and Philly. There is still enough time for the standings to reflect that, so I would not worry about facing NYR in the first round.

DC would be lucky to draw Montreal, but they are going the wrong direction, so it's still possible Buffalo is the 7 seed.

Then again as a Rangers fan and transplant to DC I hope this is what happens - as long as Crosby stays on the sidelines - so perhaps I'm being optimistic...

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:02 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'm frankly not worried who the Caps play. If they play well (and Ovy and Backstrom get going), they can beat anyone. If they don't play well, they can lose to anyone.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:06 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
there's no ideal. we get who we get, we win, we don't, whatever.
There clearly is an ideal, I don't see why everyone is afraid to talk about it. For this franchise, I can't see how people can believe they'd be jinxing anything, as if this team would otherwise have things going their way to begin with.

Ideal is:

1: Philly
2: Washington
3: Boston
4: Pitt
5: Tampa
6: Rangers
7: Habs
8: Sabres

Washington-Montreal in the first, then have the Rangers beat Boston so the Capitals would get Pittsburgh or Tampa in the 2nd round, both teams they match up well against. Then you would get whoever survives a very physical Philly-NYR series in the conference final. At that point you pays your moneys and you takes your chances. That would be the most favorable road from a realistic standpoint.

I'm not expecting this to happen, but should the Capitals win the games, this would be the ideal way for the matchups to fall. Keeping in mind that you don't always win ideal matchups and you don't always lose unfavorable ones, that's why they play the games.

I do buy the "Be careful what you wish for" sentiment, but only for those that play the games. What the fans say or do doesn't affect anything, otherwise someone would have stopped the flow of championships into Pittsburgh, New York, and the New England area.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

No, there is no ideal. ultimately, it's up to how the Caps play. Not how the other teams play. We can beat any team we have to play, if we can find the effort and the rhythm. Obviously, some are easier than others, but realistically, it's not a concern.

They will play like they could play, win, or they won't. I don't really care who we play.

Old
03-28-2011, 12:25 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
No, there is no ideal. ultimately, it's up to how the Caps play. Not how the other teams play. We can beat any team we have to play, if we can find the effort and the rhythm. Obviously, some are easier than others, but realistically, it's not a concern.

They will play like they could play, win, or they won't. I don't really care who we play.
Ideal means advantageous, so there is an ideal and it's the perceived better matchup. I also said it ultimately doesn't matter, because like you said, it does come down to how they play. You're not guaranteed to win against an ideal opponent, just as you're not guaranteed to lose against your worst matchup. We do have an ideal road, all things considered, just as every team that qualifies for the playoffs does.

Old
03-28-2011, 12:25 PM
hoopla

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
which consistant goalie? if its about goaltending then it has to be phoenix, nashville or anaheim.

maybe also Vancouver?

hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:26 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'm frankly not worried who the Caps play. If they play well (and Ovy and Backstrom get going), they can beat anyone. If they don't play well, they can lose to anyone.
Seconded.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 12:32 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Seconded.
But it's not absolute. Ovy and Backy don't have to choose "On Top of their Game" or "completely off it", there is the chance of "so-so" coming up one series. Don't you think matchups matter then? Sometimes getting a break in matchups can let a team survive and advance just so they can have more games to get on a roll.

Old
03-28-2011, 12:33 PM
txpd

* If the Caps are going to win the Cup, they are not going to get derailed by any of the potential first round opponents. Yea, the Rangers look good right now, but if the Caps are good enough to win the Cup, they will beat the Rangers.

* Luongo has been pretty average in the playoffs and the Olympics last season. Pressure doesnt show well on him. If the Coyotes make the SCF against the Caps, I think Washington has a reasonable chance to win. If its Nashville, even more so.

Old
03-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
Ideal means advantageous, so there is an ideal and it's the perceived better matchup. I also said it ultimately doesn't matter, because like you said, it does come down to how they play. You're not guaranteed to win against an ideal opponent, just as you're not guaranteed to lose against your worst matchup. We do have an ideal road, all things considered, just as every team that qualifies for the playoffs does.
Some are easier. But it's impossible to identify that at this stage in the season.

There's no telling who will be hurt or not, how teams will react and whatever.

We found that out last season.

the Caps need to take care of what they can, and the chips will fall where they may.

I do believe, when it comes down to it, Backstrom, Ovechkin, and a few others performances are down to how they play, not so much how other teams play them. Backstrom, Ovechkin and to an extent (Semin, Green, and a few others) are superior talents, and when they are at their best, no one should be able to contain them.

Old
03-28-2011, 12:50 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

I'm thinking that the best (realistic) road to a lengthy run in the playoffs is this:

1. Philly
2. Washington
3. Boston
4. Pittsburgh
5. Tampa Bay
6. New York
7. Montreal
8. Buffalo

I honestly think this is better than the Caps getting the 1 seed. Philly would beat Buffalo and Pittsburgh would beat Tampa Bay. Of the Rangers/Canadiens/Sabres, I like the Caps chances against Montreal the best, and if they beat the Canadiens it would leave two possibilities.

If Boston beats the Rangers, then:

Pens@Flyers and Bruins@Caps. With Cooke and (most likely) Crosby back for the second round, I like that better than any alternative with those teams.

If the Rangers beat Boston, then:

Rangers@Flyers and Pens@Caps. Washington/Pittsburgh would be a hell of a series, but I like the idea of the Flyers having to take whichever lower seed gets hot and wins in the first round.

Then if the Caps can manage to get over the hump and win a second round series in either scenario, it's either Pens@Caps, Rangers@Caps, or Caps@Flyers. Two chances for home ice, and even if it's the Flyers, by then the Caps will have hopefully figured out playoff hockey, and anything can happen.

If nothing else, this seeding, regardless of how any series plays out, it makes it impossible for a Caps/Flyers or a Caps/Rangers series to happen until the conference finals.

Yeah, this is a total jinx post, but that's the seeding I'm hoping for, and why.

Last edited by QuadrupleDeke: 03-28-2011 at 12:58 PM.
QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:35 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Backstrom, Ovechkin and to an extent (Semin, Green, and a few others) are superior talents, and when they are at their best, no one should be able to contain them.
And that is the one thing that separates us from our main rivals Philly and Boston -- Philly may have better offensive depth, Boston may have a better defence and better goaltending, but they do not have players on the same level as Ovechkin and Backstrom, particularly Ovechkin. Ovechkin seems to have been saving himself for the playoffs this year, and I think he'll even take it a step further -- he will take it easy in the first round, then roar to life in the second and third rounds when we face the big boys.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:37 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

One of the big question marks will be how the rest affects Ovie.

03-28-2011, 01:43 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
I'm thinking that the best (realistic) road to a lengthy run in the playoffs is this:

1. Philly
2. Washington
3. Boston
4. Pittsburgh
5. Tampa Bay
6. New York
7. Montreal
8. Buffalo

I honestly think this is better than the Caps getting the 1 seed.
No, #1 seed is the ideal:

1. Face weakest eastern opponent in the first round (CAR or BUFF or even Tampa if they totally tank)
2. If an upset occurs in the first round, you get to face that team in the second
3. If not, you get to face Pittsburgh, which is bad but not as bad as facing Philly.
4. Meantime, Boston and Philly get to slug each other senseless in the second round.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:47 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
No, #1 seed is the ideal:

1. Face weakest eastern opponent in the first round (CAR or BUFF or even Tampa if they totally tank)
2. If an upset occurs in the first round, you get to face that team in the second
3. If not, you get to face Pittsburgh, which is bad but not as bad as facing Philly.
4. Meantime, Boston and Philly get to slug each other senseless in the second round.
You are wrong on many counts.

First, NYR could just as easily fall to 8 as Buffalo. Second, the most likely upset in the first round is the Rangers over whoever. If you are the top seed, and that is the only upset, you face them. It's rarely a "get to" when facing a team that upset someone in the playoffs. That usually means that team is on fire, or was seeded lower than they should be. Being the #2 seed makes it impossible to face the #6 seed (where I hope the Rangers end up) or the #1 seed (most likely the Flyers) until the conference finals. Also, regarding your third point, the most likely outcome in my scenario is playing Boston in the second round, while letting Philly and Pittsburgh beat up on each other. With how this year's seeds are shaping up, #2 is actually better than #1.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Burgh32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'm frankly not worried who the Caps play. If they play well (and Ovy and Backstrom and the PP get going), they can beat anyone. If they don't play well, they can lose to anyone.
At this point, I'm bought into the fact that this team will fare well and go far as long as they can get the PP on track. If that doesn't happen, they're not making it past round 2.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
You are wrong on many counts.

First, NYR could just as easily fall to 8 as Buffalo. Second, the most likely upset in the first round is the Rangers over whoever. If you are the top seed, and that is the only upset, you face them. It's rarely a "get to" when facing a team that upset someone in the playoffs. That usually means that team is on fire, or was seeded lower than they should be. Being the #2 seed makes it impossible to face the #6 seed (where I hope the Rangers end up) or the #1 seed (most likely the Flyers) until the conference finals. Also, regarding your third point, the most likely outcome in my scenario is playing Boston in the second round, while letting Philly and Pittsburgh beat up on each other. With how this year's seeds are shaping up, #2 is actually better than #1.
see, from my estiamtion, I think you've got it wrong on many counts here. You can't say NYR may fall to #8, yet be afraid of them at #6. It's one or the other, isn't it? I'd rather play the Rangers in the 2nd round then say Boston, or Pittsburgh, or Philly. You can't hionestly feel that the Rangers are harder to face than any of those 3 other teams, can you? (yes I'd rather face Tampa, Montreal and even Buffalo before NYR-- but not Phil, Pitt or Boston!)

And if a team wins a round...whether they are a lower seed, or an upper seed...well, then that team winning a round makes them "on fire", and it really doesn't matter where they were seeded, does it? Again, being the #1 seed at least allows for home ice throughout, which is an advantage of some merits.

Why be a #2 seed, and NOT have home ice over the #1 seed, if it comes to that? The #1 seed ALWAYS get the lowest remaining seed. Thusly they always have home ice, and always get the team that had the weakest regular season remaining. Yeah, it didn't work for the Caps last year, but it was hardly because they ended up as the #1 seed.

Rooting for a #2 seed is silly...unless it's for over the #3 seed. But for over the #1? Come on....

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote