HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Whose fault is it...really?

Old
05-08-2011, 01:40 AM
HOLDITHERE

vCash: 500
Whose fault is it...really?

A coach that wins and adapts to his teams flaws until he runs into a hot goalie year after year or the players who don't show up year after year? I can't believe I'm defending my own team to their OWN fans. Nor can I believe the instantaneous banwagon jump-offs after we lose. Look at San Jose...they dominate every year with nothing to show for it. Perhaps I'd like some actual fans to step up and be honest.

Budreau: Can you really blame the guy? Sure. He's fat. He says **** alot. He likes bbq. But he damn sure turned our superstar prima donnas into at least two-way thinkers this year.

The players: That's where the blame belongs. I still cannot fathom how people are calling for Bruces head when two years straight our All-Star lineup no shows. And the single argument that I hate the most is that the team is not motivated by their coach. I'm thoroughly convinced that anyone with this mentality has never played a team sport nor is competitive in any walk of life. These guys are world class athletes. They got there by being competitive. A hockey players ultimate goal in life to hold that cup, not to just not show up because your coach didn't yell enough.

And while I'm at it. The sudden rise in fanbase with this team has brought quite a bit of spolied fans out of the shadows. I don't think you could ask for a better core roster with a better salary than that of which we possess. Sure a few guys could go, Sloan could go straight out of being a human being really. I'm just saying stop being so God damn spoiled. No one wants to lose, but it's not like they're coming in last in the conference every year.

Is firing Bruce actually going to get us a cup? Is there really a replacement? Hunter...really? No. Trade Semin? Trade Backstrom? Trade Green? These threads actually exist people...

Last edited by Langway: 05-08-2011 at 09:34 AM.
HOLDITHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
The point is change has to be made. And you cant just trade the hole team. Even if 50% of this is on the players. If that is the case you still have to fire the coach for not getting the players to respond to him. The team has been undisciplined and unorganized for four years now. They cant even make good line changes for a full game.

I am one of the bigger "BB has to go" haters around here. And I have been saying it for a three years now.

You can take your pick

A: BB has no clue how to lead this team. Or make adjustments in the game plan. So he has to go.

B: BB is a great coach. its just the players do not do what they are told.

It all comes out to the same thing. They need to go in a different direction.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Bunindza

Quote:
And while I'm at it. The sudden rise in fanbase with this team has brought quite a bit of spolied fans out of the shadows. I don't think you could ask for a better core roster with a better salary than that of which we possess. Sure a few guys could go, Sloan could go straight out of being a human being really. I'm just saying stop being so God damn spoiled. No one wants to lose, but it's not like they're coming in last in the conference every year.
You're bitter about fans acting like fans? You should probably turn off all electronics, lock all doors and shut all of your blinds tightly. What have the Redskins/Wizards won lately? Exactly. There are still fans that aren't happy about the way things are going with those teams. The fact that the Caps are a better team than either of those two by miles pretty much assures that fan expectations are going to be higher. Finishing first in the conference two years in a row, tops in the league once, and tops in their own division four years in a row probably has something to do with it, too. When you have the #1 seed twice and only manage three rounds in the playoffs, the quality of the roster v. the amount of money spent on that roster means absolutely nothing.

I'm not part of the doomampersandgloomers, but the everything'sgoingtobeokaybecausewe'reamazingonpape r crowd is pretty annoying, too. In fact, my opinion puts them as the more spoiled of the two groups because entitlement is such an obnoxious trait.

On your primary topic, while I don't lump all of the blame on Boudreau, it's time to give someone else a crack at it. I'm placing so much more blame on the players, but it's easier to move a coach than it is to move three players you've spent a lot of money on and signed for a good long time. I don't think Semin gave any reasons for ownership to make trading him a primary focus this year, either.

Bunindza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 09:42 AM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsoph View Post

I
Please? This is the NHL. The idea is to win the Cup. If they flame out in the playoffs every season, they may just as well becoming in last in the conference. Right now, they are in no better position than the friggin' Panthers or Oilers. They're all losers for this season.........................

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Langway
Intangibles

I blame Capstronaut.

You can't call out the players on the one hand and then suggest that their core is flawless on the other.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 11:06 AM
hockeyjoe_16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
The point is change has to be made. And you cant just trade the hole team. Even if 50% of this is on the players. If that is the case you still have to fire the coach for not getting the players to respond to him. The team has been undisciplined and unorganized for four years now. They cant even make good line changes for a full game.

I am one of the bigger "BB has to go" haters around here. And I have been saying it for a three years now.

You can take your pick

A: BB has no clue how to lead this team. Or make adjustments in the game plan. So he has to go.

B: BB is a great coach. its just the players do not do what they are told.

It all comes out to the same thing. They need to go in a different direction.
If the players are not doing what they are being told to do by the coaching staff, it is the coaching staff's job to get them to buy in be it by scratching them for games, cutting ice time, or if they are not following the PP game plan, replace them on the PP.

hockeyjoe_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjoe_16 View Post
If the players are not doing what they are being told to do by the coaching staff, it is the coaching staff's job to get them to buy in be it by scratching them for games, cutting ice time, or if they are not following the PP game plan, replace them on the PP.
My point is no matter what side of the fence you are standing on. BB has to go.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 11:33 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quite clearly the culprit:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
A coach that wins and adapts to his teams flaws until he runs into a hot goalie year after year or the players who don't show up year after year?
The loss this year was not because of a hot goalie. Rollie was a factor, but they were beaten in all three zones, IMO.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I Am The Mole
DERPINGTON DERPITALS

Someone's gotta win, and by that fact someone has to lose too.

We can't expect the team to just **** us a Stanley Cup every year when there are so many factors involved in getting that far. Frankly I'm tired of all the black and white arguments on this board.

It's not all Boudreau, though some of it falls on him.

It's not completely on the players, though they definitely had a hand in this.

The roster does need a shake up, though I personally don't think that Boudreau is what needs to change. The guy showed up in late November and took a team that was literally at the bottom of the Conference and dragged them into the playoffs. Boudreau has consistently kept the team somewhere between competitive and dominant the entire time he's been here. He deserve's a little more credit and respect for what he's done here.

Personally, I like what I see out of Ovechkin since the elimination. The guy realizes he needs to change something and intends to do so with regards to his training and preparation. Mike Green already made his change last year. If Nicky's injury rumors are true then I have no choice other to give him a pass. The only person I can look at and say "WTF is wrong with you?" is Semin, and he was huge factor in the NYR series.

Defensively, the team is light years ahead of where they were last year. Boyd Gordon is a one man PK machine, and Hannan was a much needed anchor that is a must keep. Schultz is our biggest issue if Sloan isn't playing. There are plenty of GM's that would be willing to take him in my opinion. Tom Poti's injury may have the silver lining of allowing us to buyout the remainder of his contract and getting us back some cap space.

There is zero to discuss in net.

I'm heartbroken over the loss, but I think this team is on the right track. You have to break a few eggs to make an omelet and this club is slow to learn, but it is learning. Resign Hannan, Arnott and don't trade Wideman. Buy out Poti's contract, bring up Orlov a couple time's during the season to see how he does. These things alone would keep us headed in the right direction without even touching the forwards.

And speaking of the forwards, whoever is in charge of the power play (be it Boudreau or Evason) needs to go back to the drawing board completely. Once again it was our power play that didn't come through when we needed it most. Fix the power play, fix the team.

I dunno. I'm rambling. This ****ing sucks.

I Am The Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:02 PM
EroCaps

The guys who built and then drove the car.

It's not that ****ing complicated people.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Millhaus

As far as I can tell once Boudreau has instituted a system, regardless of system, the particulars of that system is how the team is going to play regardless of how successful it is and every opposing team knows that.

If the system runs into trouble adjustments will be limited to lineups, lines, and pairings and the coaching mantra will simply be stay with the system and play harder. In game or in series tactical adjustments are pretty much unheard of regardless of how things are going.

That is fine for some and in general going to be ok in the regular season where teams just do not have enough time to adjust their own tactics to take advantage of what other teams do or don't do since they are playing different teams pretty much every game.

In the playoffs though it doesn't work nearly as well. You have to adjust to what is and isn't working for you and to take advantage of other teams' weaknesses and take away their strengths. Boudreau doesn't do that at all though. If things aren't working then play harder. Still not working? Play harder. And I'm sorry but it doesn't take too long under those conditions before the players say 'screw it' and try to do things on their own, which isn't going to work either.

Nashville made a tactical adjustment after getting outplayed in the 1st period pretty badly and completely turned the game around. Trotz even told you what it was in an early 2nd period interview. Anyone think Boudreau would have pulled that off?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 03:39 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'd laugh if the crowd did the "it's all your fault" cheer when the visitors scored and they pointed at BB or Teds box.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 04:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I'd laugh if the crowd did the "it's all your fault" cheer when the visitors scored and they pointed at BB or Teds box.
OMG...that would be the first time I found that chant at least humorous...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Mickstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjoe_16 View Post
That's my take too.. BB may have a great hockey mind, be he's not a very good leader.. Too many excuses, and now even the team parrots him after defeat.. Nice guy, but not the guy who's gonna lead "this" group to a cup..

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 11:00 PM
dcsfanatic

Quote:
This really burns me up.

Do you really think we're the only fans that act this way??? In Philly, the fans would have rioted after last season calling for the coach to be fired. Pens fans were calling for Therrien to be fired halfway through the season following going to the Cup. I even know some Ravens fans who want John Harbaugh fired.

GET A CLUE.....

Last edited by dcsfanatic: 05-08-2011 at 11:05 PM.
dcsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 11:27 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

"It's nobody's fault, we just didn't get the breaks and we were all hurt"....that's the Company Line I'm adopting....

At least I'm not cynical right?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:50 AM
EroCaps

If you're not off love-in that is Boudreau and McPhee bandwagon by now, you'll never be.

People will find a reason to defend them as long as they're affiliated with the "home" team and I'm willing to bet not give a **** about them once they leave.

It's just sad that so many precious opportunities at a Cup are being pissed away in the process.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
"It's nobody's fault, we just didn't get the breaks and we were all hurt"....that's the Company Line I'm adopting....

At least I'm not cynical right?

The stars just didn't quite line up for us this year. Just wait til next year! LOL Ugh.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 03:14 AM
Dream Big

The schedule. First the long wait and then the back to back 3rd and 4th games in Tampa. I think that benefitted Tampa and not the Caps. Heh the question is about fault and this is as good a reason as any.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 06:02 AM
mrv52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
This really burns me up.

Do you really think we're the only fans that act this way??? In Philly, the fans would have rioted after last season calling for the coach to be fired. Pens fans were calling for Therrien to be fired halfway through the season following going to the Cup. I even know some Ravens fans who want John Harbaugh fired.

GET A CLUE.....

Actually, Stevens was fired and the Flyers turned the corner. Therrien was fired midseason and the Pens won the Cup.

mrv52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
The schedule. First the long wait and then the back to back 3rd and 4th games in Tampa. I think that benefitted Tampa and not the Caps. Heh the question is about fault and this is as good a reason as any.
There is also a rumor going around that T *** Sloan couldn't decide on his airplane food--thus resulting in a 15 minute flight delay. No stewardesses were injured--but Arnott was really freaked out.

Last edited by Atlas: 05-09-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 07:12 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I heard that BB wanted the dads to come to fla so it would seem like a regular season game but Ted would pay for it.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:00 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv52 View Post
Actually, Stevens was fired and the Flyers turned the corner. Therrien was fired midseason and the Pens won the Cup.
actually, stevens was fired and the flyers laid there for another month. then they turned the corner. then they fell on their faces for the last month of the season and nearly missed the playoffs. then they had a fine playoff run and a strong first half of a regular season before collapsing into a mess again.

the penguins straight up quit on therrien. they hated his guts and would no longer lift a finger at his request.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:35 AM
dcsfanatic

Quote:
Actually, Stevens was fired and the Flyers turned the corner.
My point in bringing up the Flyers was to illustrate that if the last 4 years for them had gone the way our last 4 years did, they too would want the coach fired. The would have been doing it last year to a much greater degree than we are doing now. So they must be super spoiled.

I certainly think their media would be joining in. Our spineless media keeps defending him.

Quote:
Therrien was fired midseason and the Pens won the Cup.
Thats what I said.

They were calling for him to be fired before he actually was fired. This even though he took them to the Cup the year before. So Pens fans must be super spoiled too.

But we've got some sappy fans who have to attack other fans by acting like we're this uniquely bad fanbase for no longer being satisfied with great regular seasons.

dcsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote