HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XV

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2011, 12:34 PM
artilector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Mike Knuble ($2.100m)
Brooks Laich ($3.200m) / Jason Arnott ($3.300m) / Alexander Semin ($6.700m)
Jason Chimera ($1.875m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Eric Fehr ($2.200m)
Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / Boyd Gordon ($0.880m) / Jay Beagle ($0.512m)
/ D.J. King ($0.637m) / Andrew Gordon ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Mike Green ($5.250m) / Jeff Schultz ($2.750m)
Scott Hannan ($3.200m) / Dennis Wideman ($3.937m)
Karl Alzner ($2.200m) / John Carlson ($0.845m)
/ John Erskine ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) / Semyon Varlamov ($1.150m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,851,795; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $148,205
I have a feeling that this roster will be at least ~1m more expensive than the number you come up with (although I'd be glad to be wrong).

In that case I guess getting rid of the 14th forward and substituting Chimera for a cheaper forward might do it.. Assuming the salary cap does rise a couple of mil.

But it's very tight, I doubt McPhee can fit all the pieces in on time and on budget. And if one of Arnott, Laich, or Hannan must leave, I'd rather it be Arnott or Laich. Retaining Laich is better from asset-management point of view, retaining Arnott is probably better from results/leadership/cap-flexibility point of view for the next couple of years. I don't know, tough call.

Old
04-12-2011, 03:43 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Mike Knuble ($2.100m)
Brooks Laich ($3.200m) / Jason Arnott ($3.300m) / Alexander Semin ($6.700m)
Jason Chimera ($1.875m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Eric Fehr ($2.200m)
Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / Boyd Gordon ($0.880m) / Jay Beagle ($0.512m)
/ D.J. King ($0.637m) / Andrew Gordon ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Mike Green ($5.250m) / Jeff Schultz ($2.750m)
Scott Hannan ($3.200m) / Dennis Wideman ($3.937m)
Karl Alzner ($2.200m) / John Carlson ($0.845m)
/ John Erskine ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) / Semyon Varlamov ($1.150m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,851,795; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $148,205

I honestly can't see Hannan, Poti and Schultz on the same roster next season. One has to go. Hannan's been everything this defense corps has been lacking for years and GMGM is a fool if he doesn't re-up this guy. As for the other two, my preference to leave is Poti given the injury issue versus Schultz's youth.

I'd let Bradley walk if only for the fact that he costs more than Boyd. As for the upper tier forwards, Arnott, like Hannan, was the 2C the team sorely lacked and he would make a perfect 1 year stopgap before handing over the reins of the 2C to Johannson in 2012-13. I hope he sticks around for another season. I feel the same way about Knuble for another year or two. Guy is an automatic 20 goals from 3 feet from the net...I dont care about his age. With that production how can you not resign him?

As for Laich, honestly, I like him but I don't think he's worth 3.5 million. He's a 3-3.2 million dollar guy IMHO. Part of me almost wishes he goes to Edmonton for something outrageous like 4.5 million and that just frees up cash for retaining Hannan, Arnott and Knuble for the next two seasons.

Now someone mentioned moving Chimera....I really like Chimera, but if it meant cap space to retain guys like Arnott, Hannan and Laich, I'd be for that. That gives guys like Andrew Gordon a shot in the bottom six.

As for Varly, meh...its kinda like the Semin negotiations re: Backstrom...GMGM needs to just say...youre not making more than the guy who stays healthy the entire season. 1.15 or walk. We like you but let's be honest we have Holtby....at half the price.
Oh, there is what we need already =) Close projection =)))

But Poti is magically gone which could be a problem in reality.

I bet Arnott is OUT and Bradley is IN. So is Poti.

PS: Chimera is decently sized forward. We have some guys in the pipeline who lack size/power. Maybe GMGM will not shed him out this summer just in case. I mean Fehr is injury-prone, fancy 3rd line with Purretu and without Chimmer isn't exactly the best. When Carlson&Green will become UFA Chimera's contract will end itself.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:58 AM
txpd

this board has been trying to get rid of bradley for years now. i really doubt you are going to see that. beagle is a fine backup but he doesnt replace bradley.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:16 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
this board has been trying to get rid of bradley for years now. i really doubt you are going to see that. beagle is a fine backup but he doesnt replace bradley.
I really think it's going to happen this year. There's just no way the team can afford to have so many high-priced bottom-6 forwards. They've already committed $2.2m to Fehr and $1.8 to Chimmera. With Steckel gone, I think Gordo's return as the #4C is a near-certainty. And Hendricks has been re-signed to play a bottom-6 wing role too. That leaves you with #3C, and one wing spot on the 4th line as positions to be filled in free agency. Brads doesn't play center (besides, MaJo is likely in this spot anyway). So, that leaves GMGM with the decision of whether to fill that #4W spot by re-signing Brads at $1m, or promote someone like Beagle for half the cost. It's not an issue if Beagle "replaces" what Bradley does. Beagle brings something else to the table. Better PKing, more positional versatility, less of a fighter, probably less in the locker room.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Millhaus

I think it is much more likely that they deal away Chimera and resign Bradley than just let Bradley walk and keep Chimera.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:21 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I think it is much more likely that they deal away Chimera and resign Bradley than just let Bradley walk and keep Chimera.
I wouldn't call it "much more likely". I'd call it a "much better idea." GMGM (or most GMs for that matter) aren't particularly inclined to deal signed players so that they can re-sign other players. It just isn't something that happens nearly as often as most fans think.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:22 AM
dashtary*

Trade Schultz, Fehr, & Chimera if needed for something real good, package or not. Unless they really step up big time. Bring up Orlov, Eakin, and pieces from trade/FA. JMO. We really need cap-space to keep this team together. Trade those pieces and bring up the talented youth and keep the veterans. Great mixture.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:39 AM
txpd

McPhee is a continuity guy these days. He wants as little roster movement as he can get. Bradley is effectively core. Bradley brings more to this hockey team than you buy with the $400k they would save by replacing him with Beagle.

McPhee got Hendricks when Colorado chose to make a similar move to this suggestion of not resigning Bradley. Bradley has also proven to be one of the Caps most reliable and prepared playoff players. I think McPhee and Fishman have their plan and Bradley is part of it.

It could be that Arnott remains rental only and Eakin is in next season. McPhee has said he has ways of getting things done in order to keep Hannan. Those ways might well include budget to keep Bradley. If McPhee sees Schultz or Chimera as not playing up to their contracts, they might well get traded. We will see.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:02 AM
sk84fun_dc

FWIW, Larry Brooks had some information about next year's cap in a piece he wrote the other day (and yes, I know it's Brooks, but there's some decent info. in this.) At a minimum, one can assume the cap isn't going down by very much.

"The NHLPA has told agents that the union projects a salary cap of approximately $62.2 million next season if the players vote to trigger the 5-percent escalator...."

This is a preliminary number with a few caveats, which he mentions in the write-up.

Note:
2010-11: Max is $59.4M
2011-12: No performance bonus cushion; Cap max could be as high as a number like $62.2M

If it was $62.2, that would be a $2.8M increase. If they don't vote for the escalator it could stay flat or go down slightly.

For speculation purposes at this point and time as it relates to the Caps, I think people should be using the $59.4M figure. Based on what we have seen to date, Caps prefer to have a little room and if there is no 5% escalator voted, this would be an approximation of the max.

As it relates to the re-signings so far and this year vs next year and the cap hits for the respective seasons (2010-11 and 2011-12):
Looking at the re-signings alone, not taking into account other UFAs and RFAs who need to be signed, etc.

Erskine: $1.25M to $1.5M: +$250,000
Hendricks: $575,000 to $825,000: +$250,000
Knuble: $2.8M to $2M: -$800,000
Neuvirth: $821,667 to $1.15M: +$328,333
Poti: $3.5M to $2.875M: -$625,000
Semin: $6M to $6.7M: +$700,000

So for the six players re-signed for next season since around training camp time (starting with Neuvirth's contract): the cap hit for the 6 players combined increased $103,333 from 2010-11 season to the 2011-12 season.

In simplistic terms, players in/players out who are under contract for 2011-12:

Steckel's $1.1M subtracted
Wideman's $3.9375 added

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 04-12-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old
04-12-2011, 09:05 AM
txpd

no matter how you slice it, its annoying to the a salary cap for a team called the Caps.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:06 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I can see Bradley moving on, but only because I can see him getting better money elsewhere. I put him in the same situation as Laich, although obviously on a much smaller scale given their roles. A guy the team probably really wants to keep around, but a guy that would have to choose to stay.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:12 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Point counter point I will predict Bradley is the next to be resigned. George obviously likes the guy and I think Bradley likes it here too. I will also say he follows in the team first approach and takes a small pay cut, 2 x 900K.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:27 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I can see Bradley moving on, but only because I can see him getting better money elsewhere. I put him in the same situation as Laich, although obviously on a much smaller scale given their roles. A guy the team probably really wants to keep around, but a guy that would have to choose to stay.
the day will probably come where a player the caps really want to keep rejects their offer and walks. it could be with these two players, but i doubt it.

mcphee has successfully built a very tight team. many of these players having played together for a long time and love the group. he has also managed his salary cap well enough that he can offer these players fair contracts. as a result mcphee has a group of players that love playing together and a salary structure that allows those players to keep their self respect come contract time and be able to stay.

his players have a strong trend of leaving a little money on the table and not going for the open market in order to stay. the only player that has left on his own was fedorov who we all know had financial trouble and couldnt afford his self respect.

it will be interesting to see what arnott does. i am willing to guess that fishman puts knuble's contract in front of arnott and arnott takes it.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:04 AM
DrPP

vCash: 504
Quote:
the day will probably come where a player the caps really want to keep rejects their offer and walks. it could be with these two players, but i doubt it.

mcphee has successfully built a very tight team. many of these players having played together for a long time and love the group. he has also managed his salary cap well enough that he can offer these players fair contracts. as a result mcphee has a group of players that love playing together and a salary structure that allows those players to keep their self respect come contract time and be able to stay.

his players have a strong trend of leaving a little money on the table and not going for the open market in order to stay. the only player that has left on his own was fedorov who we all know had financial trouble and couldnt afford his self respect.

it will be interesting to see what arnott does. i am willing to guess that fishman puts knuble's contract in front of arnott and arnott takes it.
You think Arnott will sign for 2 millions? He had a down season this year but still.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:25 AM
txpd

I do. His current contract was a five year contract signed while he was still in his prime.
it was a ufa contract. he scored 27, 28 and 33 goals in the first 3 years of that deal and under 20 goals in the last two years.

yea, i think he takes knuble's contract.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:36 AM
DrPP

vCash: 504
Quote:
I do. His current contract was a five year contract signed while he was still in his prime.
it was a ufa contract. he scored 27, 28 and 33 goals in the first 3 years of that deal and under 20 goals in the last two years.

yea, i think he takes knuble's contract.
Huh, forgot he was traded. I thought he signed as a UFA last summer with NJ. Probably got him confused with Lombardi (the other center that I wanted the Caps to get last summer).

Old
04-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Roughing

IMO, Arnott is offered, and accepts, the Knuble contract. I also think Hannan stays after Poti or Schultz end up somewhere else next year (however that happens). I think Laich gets an offer from elsewhere that the Caps don't match. Sturm is clearly out. B.Gordon and Bradley stick around for similar deals to what they currently have.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:11 AM
txpd

i dont think sturm is clearly out. he might be, but he is another guy that wont be getting the term and money he was getting before. i wonder what olie has been telling marco?

Old
04-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

I think GMGM will not (and shouldn't) resign everybody until POs end.

If he will sign Bradley and Arnott and Hannan - it will be the same team 95%.

And what if Capitals will fail in the 1st or 2nd round? He should leave himself a way to shake up roster somehow. Trading Schultz and Fehr is less probable than not resigning Arnott (I guess).

And about Boyd. Boyd played 27 (of 28) playoff matches of the modern Caps era. Only Young Guns and Laich played all 28. He is here to stay. Have no doubt.

Some players should get loyal contracts only if we got some result (ECF/SCF/SC) IMHO.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Foy

Quote:
Huet?

Old
04-12-2011, 12:37 PM
txpd

purged him from my memory

Old
04-13-2011, 02:51 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
Oh, there is what we need already =) Close projection =)))

But Poti is magically gone which could be a problem in reality.

I bet Arnott is OUT and Bradley is IN. So is Poti.

PS: Chimera is decently sized forward. We have some guys in the pipeline who lack size/power. Maybe GMGM will not shed him out this summer just in case. I mean Fehr is injury-prone, fancy 3rd line with Purretu and without Chimmer isn't exactly the best. When Carlson&Green will become UFA Chimera's contract will end itself.
Well, so far my projection hasn't been too bad. I said Knuble would be reupped around 2.1 million. He signed for 2.

As for Poti, I never said he was magically gone. I just said you can't have Hannan Poti and Schultz on the roster. Hence, my preference, not GMGM's, is to retain Hannan and let one of the other two walk/waived/traded whathaveyou. I think there's a strong possibility Poti and Schultz stay but, I think its a mistake. Hannan the best defensive defenseman we've had since Johannson. He needs to stay.

As for Bradley, I just don't see how one can justify a slight raise for a 1 million + 4th line guy. I love him but Hendricks performs the same role at 200K less. And that's without a raise next season. My gut tells me he walks and Beagle at 500K get his bottom 6 roster spot.

As for Arnott, I am big fan and I think he's going to pay dividends big time starting tomorrow night. Thus, I gave my best estimate at what I thought could keep him. I think he'll have a hard time fetching 4 million. He's not really a 2C that can produce huge points anymore- thus he doesn't really justify the big contract. He's more of a leadership, clutch performing veteran 2C, which the Caps need and will likely require a lower salary.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Wise_one

Laich's next contract

Hello Caps fans, congrats on the win tonight. I am just wondering what your fan base thinks about Laichs next contract. Will it be higher than 3 mil?

Old
04-13-2011, 11:37 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_one View Post
Hello Caps fans, congrats on the win tonight. I am just wondering what your fan base thinks about Laichs next contract. Will it be higher than 3 mil?
Caps fans are hopeful that he'll take a hometown discount in the $3m range. On the open market, he's at least $3.5.

Old
04-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Capagonia

Brendan Woods in the 3rd or 4th round? http://boxscorenews.com/jacks-forwar...-p18001-68.htm

Last edited by Capagonia: 04-14-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Closed Thread