HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-19-2011, 10:16 PM
  #901
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Gonchar was thought of as a defensive D man when drafted. Weird, huh?
You are correct and he was exactly the opposite. I remember when he was called up to the NHL expecting to see more defense and he did exactly of what I expected and how he was touted by the scouts.

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
05-19-2011, 10:19 PM
  #902
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
ESPN's NHL Rumor page had a bunch of trade proposals brought up by Craig Button (he didn't say anything about hearing these as rumors... they're just proposals that he thought up himself).

They are:

1. Mike Green for Valtteri Filppula (C)
2. Mike Green for Brenden Morrow (LW)
3. Mike Green for Mark Fistric (D)
4. Mike Green, Alexander Semin, and a goalie for Francois Beauchemin (D) and Bobby Ryan (RW)

I don't really like any of them, but if you're in the "this team needs a big shakeup" camp then #4 has to be worth looking into. He does mention that Anaheim would probably want Semin on a longer-term deal, or at least agree to sign one with them.

Thoughts?
I would love to have Fistric, but not for a 1 for 1 trade. Of course I would be crazy to not like Bobby Ryan, but I feel Anaheim won't let him go for anything.

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
05-19-2011, 10:20 PM
  #903
dashtary*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,271
vCash: 500
Anyone else feel really bad for Atlanta fans?

dashtary* is offline  
Old
05-19-2011, 10:21 PM
  #904
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,627
vCash: 500
I would love a Zubov type....ideal really.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
05-19-2011, 10:21 PM
  #905
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
I will say it now. I firmly believe Eakin will make the team and be a calder finalist.

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
05-19-2011, 10:29 PM
  #906
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Anyone else feel really bad for Atlanta fans?
I do feel bad for them. They are losing their 2nd NHL Franchise and I remember the Save the Caps campaign. Winnipeg was my second favorite team growing up after the Caps. I hated to see the Jets leave Winnipeg and just like most ATL fans, they didn't want to see the Jets leave. I will always remember Hawerchuk and Steen. Numminen was another player that played hard for them. Of course, I will never forget Selanne getting me 50 bucks in a bet I made before the season. Everyone had Lindros picked as the Calder pick and I chose Selanne. I never thought he would shatter the rookie goal scoring record though. 1993 was a magical year for the Jets. They had a good coach and lots of young, upcoming players. The Jets GM sucked at trades though. He let Draper, Essensa, Selanne go for hardly any return. He could have gotten the moon for Selanne, but didn't. He was really high on Russian draft picks too. The best trade he made was for Manson, but that was too little too late.

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
05-19-2011, 10:35 PM
  #907
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
I like the idea fine, seeing as we are not nearly as close to achieving a Cup as we thought we the were at the beginning of the season. Bring in Orlov, bring in Kuz, bring in Eakin, get rid of the deadwood Green and Semin. We're not a year away, we're several years away, so we can afford to be patient and the bring young kids along.
I love having a young team and I have stated before I am glad they are getting their chance to play and learn, unlike years past. The old GMGM would have brought in Sacco, Murphy, Luc-Pierre, etc that would take away those rookie play time. This year and the playoffs were a lot of experience for this crew. Yes, they need more veteran leadership, but more importantly they need more grit. They need some guys that will teach physical play and be vocal in the locker room. We're getting Knuble back, but we need more guys with SC history and grit.

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
05-19-2011, 10:37 PM
  #908
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass
 
Mr Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,298
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
So.....Orlov....another Carlson as Dash would have us believe, or another Gonchar in the making as Appreci8 contends.....

Who else has seen Orlov live? The highlight reel I've seen of him shows a nice shot and a mean streak with some nice hits...
I was back in CT visiting family. And I happen to catch a bears game. I walked up the day of the game. And got the two seats next the Bears bench door.

He had a big shoot. It seemed almost effortless.

Great first pass out of the zone. Did not seemed bothered by the forecheck.

But the thing that really stuck out to me. Was how he played his man away from the puck. So many times you see a player from a Caps playing a man by standing next to him. And not tying up there stick. And in a quick bang bang play. Someone puts the puck in the net. Orlov played his man vary well away from the puck. He stick checked his man the whole game.

Mr Gone is offline  
Old
05-19-2011, 10:42 PM
  #909
Robert Theodorson
Registered User
 
Robert Theodorson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Anyone else feel really bad for Atlanta fans?
No

They still have the Hawks and Falcons and they own most of the South when it comes to baseball.

Nobody will remember the Thrashers were even in Atlanta a few years from now.

Robert Theodorson is offline  
Old
05-19-2011, 11:10 PM
  #910
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Ted is clueless. Put him in an iron lung.
Ted knows that you buy low and sell high. McPhee is the same way. It's the right way.

JawandaPuck is online now  
Old
05-19-2011, 11:16 PM
  #911
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass
 
Mr Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,298
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Ted knows that you buy low and sell high. McPhee is the same way. It's the right way.
Accumulating talent and wining a cup are two vary different things. The team is filled with high talent players. That are all missing hockey IQ, Maturity or Heart.

Mr Gone is offline  
Old
05-19-2011, 11:18 PM
  #912
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Anyone else feel really bad for Atlanta fans?
I feel bad for me if that counts. If this goes through then I have to travel 6 hours to Raleigh to see the Caps live.

It really is sad though how little people care about hockey down here, as it's mostly football, then more football, then baseball, maybe a little basketball, NASCAR, Wraslin, basketweaving, then hockey so at the very least I can understand the ownership wanting to leave a city that cares so little about them.

Then again the two games I saw live this past year the Caps lost (opening day and the 1-0 shutout).

Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old
05-20-2011, 12:19 AM
  #913
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
Accumulating talent and wining a cup are two vary different things. The team is filled with high talent players. That are all missing hockey IQ, Maturity or Heart.
That's frustration talking.

They (the so called core that is) need to stick to the system (coach's job), have a grittier supporting cast up front (the GM's job), a big quality 2C to add to the core (GM), and a fast blueline from top to bottom (GM again).

JawandaPuck is online now  
Old
05-20-2011, 12:46 AM
  #914
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass
 
Mr Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,298
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
That's frustration talking.

They (the so called core that is) need to stick to the system (coach's job), have a grittier supporting cast up front (the GM's job), a big quality 2C to add to the core (GM), and a fast blueline from top to bottom (GM again).
Hockey IQ - We have some of the worst line changes in the league. And we see them all the time.

Heart - The team comes out flat for way to many big games.

Maturity - No one on the team holds themselves accountable for anything.

I put 90% of this on BB. He is not a leader. He holds no one accountable for anything. And he does not teach good hockey. When we were wining. It was based on talent and great individual effort. And we have had the same problems for years now.

Mr Gone is offline  
Old
05-20-2011, 01:12 AM
  #915
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
Hockey IQ - We have some of the worst line changes in the league. And we see them all the time.

Heart - The team comes out flat for way to many big games.

Maturity - No one on the team holds themselves accountable for anything.

I put 90% of this on BB. He is not a leader. He holds no one accountable for anything. And he does not teach good hockey. When we were wining. It was based on talent and great individual effort. And we have had the same problems for years now.
And that's why you don't sell low and buy high with regard to the roster.

JawandaPuck is online now  
Old
05-20-2011, 11:45 AM
  #916
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I feel bad for me if that counts. If this goes through then I have to travel 6 hours to Raleigh to see the Caps live.

It really is sad though how little people care about hockey down here, as it's mostly football, then more football, then baseball, maybe a little basketball, NASCAR, Wraslin, basketweaving, then hockey so at the very least I can understand the ownership wanting to leave a city that cares so little about them.

Then again the two games I saw live this past year the Caps lost (opening day and the 1-0 shutout).
To be honest, I was shocked Atlanta even got a second chance at an NHL team. It was part of that Bettman buildup to get the South more involved in hockey. In Florida it works better due to that most of the population are a collection of people from other states, including hockey popular states. With that said, hockey still isn't a priority in Florida. I feel bad for the real fans, not the bandwagon fans. The real Atlanta fans are most likely the ones that post here or on the other NHL forums, watch the games, scout their prospects, etc.

Winnipeg should have never lost the Jets period. They lost the Jets due to a new arena issue and the Canadian teams had issues financially compared to the US, at least back then. The salary cap helped a ton in that regard. Quite honestly, I think there should be more Canadian teams. Quebec should be given another shot at a NHL team and maybe Hamilton. The problem with Hamilton is the Toronto and Buffalo market. I wouldn't mind Seattle getting a team, but the team would just relocate. When I lived in Seattle area, hardly anybody knew much about hockey unless they were there working as Canadian citizens. I used to hear, "Oh it would dip into the Canucks market", but Vancouver is over 200 miles away from Seattle. If Tampa Bay wasn't winning and had talent, I doubt they would get the support they are getting. However, Tampa Bay is a popular job and retirement relocation area for lots of people in the US and Canada.

Go Caps!

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
05-20-2011, 12:06 PM
  #917
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,959
vCash: 500
Atlanta is the 8th largest tv market in the United States(Washington is #9). It would be the largest USA market without an NHL team. That would be why they would give Atlanta every chance to succede.

txpd is offline  
Old
05-20-2011, 12:21 PM
  #918
dpj0122
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
To be honest, I was shocked Atlanta even got a second chance at an NHL team. It was part of that Bettman buildup to get the South more involved in hockey. In Florida it works better due to that most of the population are a collection of people from other states, including hockey popular states. With that said, hockey still isn't a priority in Florida. I feel bad for the real fans, not the bandwagon fans. The real Atlanta fans are most likely the ones that post here or on the other NHL forums, watch the games, scout their prospects, etc.

Winnipeg should have never lost the Jets period. They lost the Jets due to a new arena issue and the Canadian teams had issues financially compared to the US, at least back then. The salary cap helped a ton in that regard. Quite honestly, I think there should be more Canadian teams. Quebec should be given another shot at a NHL team and maybe Hamilton. The problem with Hamilton is the Toronto and Buffalo market. I wouldn't mind Seattle getting a team, but the team would just relocate. When I lived in Seattle area, hardly anybody knew much about hockey unless they were there working as Canadian citizens. I used to hear, "Oh it would dip into the Canucks market", but Vancouver is over 200 miles away from Seattle. If Tampa Bay wasn't winning and had talent, I doubt they would get the support they are getting. However, Tampa Bay is a popular job and retirement relocation area for lots of people in the US and Canada.

Go Caps!
Atlanta isn't all that much different from most NHL cities, including DC. If the team wins, people will come. If they don't, you are left with the hard core fans who will show up and there aren't all that many. Atlanta has a history of not being a very competitive team. If they made the playoffs every year and the fans still didn't show, that would be one thing. That isn't the case.

dpj0122 is offline  
Old
05-20-2011, 12:34 PM
  #919
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
To be honest, I was shocked Atlanta even got a second chance at an NHL team. It was part of that Bettman buildup to get the South more involved in hockey. In Florida it works better due to that most of the population are a collection of people from other states, including hockey popular states. With that said, hockey still isn't a priority in Florida. I feel bad for the real fans, not the bandwagon fans. The real Atlanta fans are most likely the ones that post here or on the other NHL forums, watch the games, scout their prospects, etc.
While you didn't actually say that Bettman expanded into Florida, I'd like to avoid any confusion and point out that both the Panthers and Bolts were put in place before Bettman took office. Tampa was granted their expansion bid in 1990. Florida got theirs in late 1992. Bettman took office in 1993. Tampa was awarded a team in the same expansion that created the Ottawa Senators. Miami got theirs in the same expansion that created the Ducks.

Mystlyfe is offline  
Old
05-20-2011, 01:08 PM
  #920
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I will say it now. I firmly believe Eakin will make the team and be a calder finalist.
I think he'll make the team but Calder finalist is a bold statement. He'd need to outscore a lot of young players.

EroCaps is offline  
Old
05-20-2011, 01:27 PM
  #921
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I will say it now. I firmly believe Eakin will make the team and be a calder finalist.
So you think his rookie year will be on par with Backstrom's? Because that's the kind of performance it takes to be a Calder finalist.

Mystlyfe is offline  
Old
05-20-2011, 01:30 PM
  #922
442
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I think he'll make the team but Calder finalist is a bold statement. He'd need to outscore a lot of young players.
Agreed. That's the one part of his game that I question how it will translate to the NHL. Dude is going to be a great 2-way player, just hoping he can contribute with a few goals of his own. What do people see out of him? 20g?

442 is offline  
Old
05-20-2011, 01:49 PM
  #923
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Mystlyfe;33147791]While you didn't actually say that Bettman expanded into Florida, I'd like to avoid any confusion and point out that both the Panthers and Bolts were put in place before Bettman took office. Tampa was granted their expansion bid in 1990. Florida got theirs in late 1992. Bettman took office in 1993. Tampa was awarded a team in the same expansion that created the Ottawa Senators. Miami got theirs in the same expansion that created the Ducks.[/QUOTE

Very true Mystlyfe. Also, the Gretzky trade to LA helped hockey grow a lot in the US. To respond to the other poster, yes the same could be said about a lot of NHL cities. Hockey in the US just isn't that popular sadly. To me it is, but to a lot others it isn't. Most of us here know that if the Caps weren't winning, the Verizon Center would have lots of empty seats. We would be there, but the attendance would still drastically drop. I have friend who grew up near the Nassau Coliseum and he never knew much about the Islanders or ever attended a game there. Lol,he literally lived like a block away and grew up when the Isles were in their glory years. When it came to the Knicks, Giants, and Yankees, he was all over them. Heck, ESPN doesn't even do hockey highlights and many of the local news where I live don't bother to give NHL scores/highlights. A lot of new fans get exposure by going to the live games and get addicted. For years I tried to get my sister to go to games and when she did, she instantly fell in love with it. This was after years of watching me watch the Caps.

Yes Txpd, Atlanta is a huge market. If I recall, it is the 5th largest city in the US population wise. I was one of those back then that said NHL expansion was growing too fast. I'm going to end my comments in this thread about this topic because a moderator will most likely rethread this, but it does boil down to winning. I would like a team back in Winnipeg, but not at the cost of some others fans team. That would mean expansion and the NHL don't need that. If the Caps ever relocated, I pretty much would be done with NHL hockey and go back to watching College and Canadian Jr. games. In regards to Winnipeg, they were starting to get hot as playoff contenders when the team moved. Their situation then reminds me of the young Atlanta team now. A year or two of more patience and it will pay off for them.

Erocaps, I don't think Eakin will be a scoring machine, but I do believe Eakin is capable of scoring 20 goals and play an overall game as a rookie. The question is if he'll get the playing time while with the caps. Sadly, the Calder voters will look only at goals scored as opposed to overall hockey play, just like they do with Norris nominations. With the Norris trophy I can understand playing a great two way game or superior defensive style, but scoring only as the basis never made much sense to me. I might eat crow next year, but I'm going to stick with my pick as a calder finalist . I think the kid has tenacity to win and I loved what he showed in preseason and the Jr. Championship.

Go Caps!

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
05-20-2011, 02:04 PM
  #924
DrPP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I feel bad for me if that counts. If this goes through then I have to travel 6 hours to Raleigh to see the Caps live.

It really is sad though how little people care about hockey down here, as it's mostly football, then more football, then baseball, maybe a little basketball, NASCAR, Wraslin, basketweaving, then hockey so at the very least I can understand the ownership wanting to leave a city that cares so little about them.

Then again the two games I saw live this past year the Caps lost (opening day and the 1-0 shutout).
The team also would have done better had it been able to play north of the city like near buckhead or perimeter. Still got the gladiators.

DrPP is offline  
Old
05-21-2011, 05:36 AM
  #925
fsnoles98
Registered User
 
fsnoles98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Anyone else feel really bad for Atlanta fans?
Do you miss the Atlanta Flames or are you to young for that one?

fsnoles98 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.