HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XV

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2011, 11:52 AM
chsb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
Agreed. That's the one part of his game that I question how it will translate to the NHL. Dude is going to be a great 2-way player, just hoping he can contribute with a few goals of his own. What do people see out of him? 20g?
Eakin is not ready for an NHL job as it is.
Johansson had a lot of problems in the playoffs.

MP would be a nice centerman to have next season instead of long gone Arnott.

Old
05-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post

Old
05-21-2011, 01:35 PM
txpd

Quote:

i know i should just ignore this all, but what about tied for 3rd on the team in scoring and being the top scoring center in the playoffs says, that johansson had a lot of problems?

Old
05-21-2011, 02:29 PM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i know i should just ignore this all, but what about tied for 3rd on the team in scoring and being the top scoring center in the playoffs says, that johansson had a lot of problems?
Washington as a whole had a terrible series and Backstrom was still worse than Johansson.

The compete level was just not there, except for Ovie and a couple others.

Johansson will be a very good player in the NHL but you need more than him on that team and Eakin is not ready....still visioning MP as 3rd line centerman.

Arnott?
Obsolete is the word.....

Old
05-21-2011, 03:01 PM
third man in

Quote:
Washington as a whole had a terrible series and Backstrom was still worse than Johansson.

The compete level was just not there, except for Ovie and a couple others.

Johansson will be a very good player in the NHL but you need more than him on that team and Eakin is not ready....still visioning MP as 3rd line centerman.

Arnott?
Obsolete is the word.....
Please inform your son if he can stay focused for more than 3 games in a row he may have a career in the NHL. Until then MJ >>>>>>>>>> MP

Old
05-21-2011, 03:31 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
chsb is right about ONE thing: Eakin is not ready. Apart from that I respectfully disagree. Mojo played very well. Great season and good playoffs.

Arnott is not done and I have zero faith in MP being able to be a regular contributor on this team.

Old
05-21-2011, 03:33 PM
EroCaps

Quote:

All three...

Old
05-21-2011, 03:35 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
All three...
How is stating that Eakin isn't ready a facepalm? He may be or he may not...it's debateable but it isn't a facepalm.

I don't think the kid is ready.

Old
05-21-2011, 03:53 PM
txpd

the capitals need a playoff accomplished veteran at center. backstrom isnt. johansson is a baby. if eakin is ready, he still doesnt need to be the next center when the caps need a 30 year old or better in that slot.

Old
05-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Kazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post
How is stating that Eakin isn't ready a facepalm? He may be or he may not...it's debateable but it isn't a facepalm.

I don't think the kid is ready.
Eakin could probably play in the NHL next year, but it would probably be better for his development to spend at least one full season in the AHL first.

Old
05-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the capitals need a playoff accomplished veteran at center. backstrom isnt. johansson is a baby. if eakin is ready, he still doesnt need to be the next center when the caps need a 30 year old or better in that slot.
Any ideas? Honestly I don't want Arnott back and I don't see many FA options.

Old
05-21-2011, 07:05 PM
txpd

no ideas. i do believe that experience is important. i do believe that the caps ratio of young players to experienced players has been far too low.

i think there is a direct link between the level of maturity and stability under pressure a team has and the amount of quality experienced players they have.

around here we rip the coach for the young players on the team being inmature. thats fair, but most successful teams have stabilizing platoon of experience on the ice and the locker room. part of the reason that fedorov and knuble stick out is the general lack of accomplished veterans among the group.

i think it would be a lot easier to coach this team if they had more balance experience wise. i think arnott is over the hill. i am not sure, though, that the caps are not a better team when it counts with arnott as the 3c as with Eakin even if Eakin wins the Calder.

but thats just me. i dont expect many to agree with me.

Old
05-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Dirtbag59

One of my biggest fears next year is Tomáš Vokoun going to Philly or Tampa.

Old
05-21-2011, 11:55 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
One of my biggest fears next year is TomᚠVokoun going to Philly or Tampa.
If Philly gets Vokun, might as well hand them the East next year. Also means that Holgrem has pretty much whipped McPhee as a GM in the last couple of years.

Old
05-22-2011, 03:07 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Any ideas? Honestly I don't want Arnott back and I don't see many FA options.
Not many options for 2C on the FA market, but plenty of options for the bottom six. My opinion is to head in with Johansson as 2C and someone like Reasoner/Halpern/Madden/Handzus/Goc at 3C. 4C is either Gordon or another one of the 3C candidates.

I also like the idea of bringing in Vinny Prospal on a cheap contract. If he's healthy, he could play 2C. But he's flexible enough to play 3C, 4C, or LW instead if health keeps him under 100%. He doesn't have a cup ring, but he went deep with Philly in 2008 (ECF) and has 65 career playoff games. If we can get him around the same price NY was signing him (~1M), it could well be worth a shot to see what he has left in the tank. He did produce ~0.8ppg while he was playing this past season. If you could get 50 games out of him, that's a 40 point season. Not bad value.

Old
05-22-2011, 08:39 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
If Philly gets Vokun, might as well hand them the East next year. Also means that Holgrem has pretty much whipped McPhee as a GM in the last couple of years.
realistically speaking vokoun has almost zero playoff experience. he has almost zero experience of playing under any pressure or expectation. roberto luongo jumped from florida into a competitive team in vancouver and promptly stunk it up when the games counted for something.

dont jump to that conclusion.

Old
05-22-2011, 08:42 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Holgrem worries about winning a cup, PERIOD. That is his main goal. Who knows what GMGM worries about besides the cap, but he after 2 miserable showings in the playoff you would think the guy steps up and addresses the issues instead he skirts around things. We can talk all we want about regular season, but this TEAM and its COACHES show that they can not get it done.

Old
05-22-2011, 08:47 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Not many options for 2C on the FA market, but plenty of options for the bottom six. My opinion is to head in with Johansson as 2C and someone like Reasoner/Halpern/Madden/Handzus/Goc at 3C. 4C is either Gordon or another one of the 3C candidates.

I also like the idea of bringing in Vinny Prospal on a cheap contract. If he's healthy, he could play 2C. But he's flexible enough to play 3C, 4C, or LW instead if health keeps him under 100%. He doesn't have a cup ring, but he went deep with Philly in 2008 (ECF) and has 65 career playoff games. If we can get him around the same price NY was signing him (~1M), it could well be worth a shot to see what he has left in the tank. He did produce ~0.8ppg while he was playing this past season. If you could get 50 games out of him, that's a 40 point season. Not bad value.
There are more options then you think if we cut dead weight. Semin, Schultz. Through in MP (not big enough and tends to lose that lack luster after a few games) or A Gordon (one or the other) and we find some missing pieces.

Old
05-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Smiddletown

Quote:
Whoa, whoa, there's no reason to put Holmgren on a pedestal. He wasted two of Pronger's and Timonen's prime years by having crap goaltending. This year he traded for Versteeg instead of getting a goalie.

Pronger is 36 now, on a +35yo contract until he's 42. What Holmgren got with that contract was an unknown number of prime years from Pronger (and the contract is good in those years), and then a rising probability of having to carry a dead weight contract for a number of years.
We're two years closer to the latter possibility, and their goaltending has been very risky(Emery, Bobrovsky) during that time.

Last edited by Smiddletown: 05-22-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old
05-22-2011, 10:06 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Holgrem worries about winning a cup, PERIOD. That is his main goal. Who knows what GMGM worries about besides the cap, but he after 2 miserable showings in the playoff you would think the guy steps up and addresses the issues instead he skirts around things. We can talk all we want about regular season, but this TEAM and its COACHES show that they can not get it done.
Snyder has a go for broke attitude. The result has been broke. You take the subject of Holmgren as a chance to bash McPhee. Homer....the Flyers have failied on goaltending predating his arrival. Doesnt Boucher and Bobvorsky and Leighton and Emery and so on and so forth qualify as skirting?

Old
05-22-2011, 10:54 AM
chsb

What's missing has nothing to do with expereince....and more to do with compete level....

Soft Euro players who will work harder for a World Championship than the Stanley Cup is what killed many teams in the past.

You got to have the winning attitude and players who will raise their play when comes crunch time.

Howmany did for your team in the last two playoff runs?

Regular season means squat if you do not have the right ammunition for the playoffs.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:34 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

It will be interesting to see how mp uses this offseason to address weaknesses.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:42 PM
dashtary*

He has got to play like Nathan Gerbe, who ironically was traded for him.

Old
05-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
It will be interesting to see how mp uses this offseason to address weaknesses.
Too many weaknesses to address.

Old
05-22-2011, 01:06 PM
capsfan528

i also agree im not sure eakin is completely ready to be a full time nhler next season for us, but he will go to hershey and become easily one of the best players in hershey and probably get a call up as soon as either we get an injury or someone plays awful and sits down for some games so eakin can show what hes got..so pumped to see the future of backs, mojo and eakin down the middle for this team going forward!

Closed Thread