HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XV

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
He has got to play like Nathan Gerbe, who ironically was traded for him.
It was Tim Kennedy.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
What's missing has nothing to do with expereince....and more to do with compete level....

Soft Euro players who will work harder for a World Championship than the Stanley Cup is what killed many teams in the past.

You got to have the winning attitude and players who will raise their play when comes crunch time.

Howmany did for your team in the last two playoff runs?

Regular season means squat if you do not have the right ammunition for the playoffs.
Mathieu Perrault -- that's exactly who I think of as the antithesis to soft Euros.

Old
05-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
MP would be a nice centerman to have next season instead of long gone Arnott.
I like MP. He's a good player. Very nice ability to score goals. However what my personal feeling is that he fades away after a few games. He must get stronger and even then... Think Chris Bourque.

There are smaller players in the league. MSL is the obvious one. Gerbe, Briere. We know it is possible.
MSL started in the NHL as a 22/23 year old after college. Has Iron man streak. Gerbe went 4 years of college too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Gerbe "Strong build and rough style of play. Brier had a 4 year up and down career. See Wikipedia: Bričre's training regimen became newsworthy in 2001 when it became known that, in order to overcome his diminutive size (at 5 ft. 10 in., he is comparably small by NHL standards), he had begun off-season strength training with Canadian World's Strongest Man competitor Hugo Girard,who shares Gatineau as a hometown.[1] He earned a consistent NHL roster spot in the second half of the 2000–01 season and spent his first full season with the Coyotes in 2001–02, recording 60 points.

Looking at the teams that are now in the finals of the playoffs I do not see one team with a player like MP and that is what coaches, GMs will look at when deciding what is needed to build a team.

I do not think that Mathew will get a permanent position with the Caps next year. No matter how much you wish it. However I think he will get called up again and be given a chance. So make sure everthing is prepared to take advantage of it. Who knows it may be his time.

Old
05-22-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
I like MP. He's a good player. Very nice ability to score goals. However what my personal feeling is that he fades away after a few games. He must get stronger and even then... Think Chris Bourque.

There are smaller players in the league. MSL is the obvious one. Gerbe, Briere. We know it is possible.
MSL started in the NHL as a 22/23 year old after college. Has Iron man streak. Gerbe went 4 years of college too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Gerbe "Strong build and rough style of play. Brier had a 4 year up and down career. See Wikipedia: Bričre's training regimen became newsworthy in 2001 when it became known that, in order to overcome his diminutive size (at 5 ft. 10 in., he is comparably small by NHL standards), he had begun off-season strength training with Canadian World's Strongest Man competitor Hugo Girard,who shares Gatineau as a hometown.[1] He earned a consistent NHL roster spot in the second half of the 2000–01 season and spent his first full season with the Coyotes in 2001–02, recording 60 points.

Looking at the teams that are now in the finals of the playoffs I do not see one team with a player like MP and that is what coaches, GMs will look at when deciding what is needed to build a team.

I do not think that Mathew will get a permanent position with the Caps next year. No matter how much you wish it. However I think he will get called up again and be given a chance. So make sure everthing is prepared to take advantage of it. Who knows it may be his time.
That's a statistical fact, not an opinion. He has far too many variables against him making the team (on a permanent basis), I hope we get decent value for him at some point .... while he still has it.

Old
05-22-2011, 04:44 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
One of my biggest fears next year is Tomáš Vokoun going to Philly or Tampa.
You're wasting your time. The Caps have enough **** in their own backyard to worry about before considering how they match up against well-coached teams with capable talent.

Fraudulent.

Old
05-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Hayden
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
One of my biggest fears next year is Tomáš Vokoun going to Philly or Tampa.
Philly would be better off trading for a goalie with the little cap room they have. If they sign Vokoun, they are going to have to essentially sell someone off like they did with Gagne. I'd love it if the Caps were to be able to steal a quality player from Philly if they need to sell.

Old
05-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
Philly would be better off trading for a goalie with the little cap room they have. If they sign Vokoun, they are going to have to essentially sell someone off like they did with Gagne. I'd love it if the Caps were to be able to steal a quality player from Philly if they need to sell.
If we get rid of Green we will have money to give Ville Leino an offer

But GMGM runs the team so it wouldn't happen, we don't need playoff performers in Washington.

Old
05-22-2011, 08:03 PM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Snyder has a go for broke attitude. The result has been broke. You take the subject of Holmgren as a chance to bash McPhee. Homer....the Flyers have failied on goaltending predating his arrival. Doesnt Boucher and Bobvorsky and Leighton and Emery and so on and so forth qualify as skirting?
Before we start the Homer comments, it is Snider (?) and since owning the team, they have had 33 playoff appearances and winners of 2 Stanley Cups, compared to Washington's 20 and 0. Philly plays to win and even when they don't, they compete hard. It is not a knock on GMGM, they just seem to do what it takes to get players and win besides their goaltending. I still think they are trying to find the next Bernie, Pelle or Hextall, all diamonds in the rough prior to being in the Flyers net. On the other hand we stand pat with youngsters, barely making any moves always trying to find the diamond in the rough other then Ovy. Just 2 different styles Homer.

Old
05-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Before we start the Homer comments, it is Snider (?) and since owning the team, they have had 33 playoff appearances and winners of 2 Stanley Cups, compared to Washington's 20 and 0. Philly plays to win and even when they don't, they compete hard. It is not a knock on GMGM, they just seem to do what it takes to get players and win besides their goaltending. I still think they are trying to find the next Bernie, Pelle or Hextall, all diamonds in the rough prior to being in the Flyers net. On the other hand we stand pat with youngsters, barely making any moves always trying to find the diamond in the rough other then Ovy. Just 2 different styles Homer.

All true and I would add that Philly sports fans deserve a lot of credit for screaming bloody murder when their team doesn't get it done. That doesn't happen in D.C. Caps fans are a passive lot. Mostly a herd of sheep. Present company somewhat excluded.

Old
05-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Atlas

It is a knock on McPhee, though. He is so average.

And until Philly finds a goalie they're going nowhere too. They are making mistakes just like McPhee but at least they are boldly trying to win the Cup every year.

But it baffles me why they can't find a goalie after, what, 15 years? Haha

Old
05-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Millhaus

So if I understand this right Holmgren gets credit for 2 Cups won by the organization he now GMs but had absolutely nothing to do with, 1 won before the Caps even existed and the other in won in the Caps' first season of existence, and McPhee takes the blame for every failure his current organization has ever had?

Really? Really...?

If the only measure of success is Cups then neither the Flyers nor Caps have been successful over the last 35 years...

Old
05-22-2011, 09:18 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
oooh...oops. spelled his name wrong.

when was the last cup? since leonsis has owned the caps. has he won a cup? has holmgren got a cup as a manager? didnt they take a highly talented team with a cup winning coach and get run out of the 2nd round in 4 straight games?

if you admire the flyers and wish the caps were like them, you can have that opinion. my experience has been they are more hype year to year than the caps and have no more success at getting that cup. in fact i'd say that as unhappy as this board has been the flyers board is more unhappy and has been for years.

again, the reminder. this is supposed to be fun. not torture. whats next? you guys gonna start winging batteries at games?

snider's cups are old news. last time the flyers won a cup, was the 1970's. i'm not impressed.

Old
05-22-2011, 09:26 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
It is a knock on McPhee, though. He is so average.

And until Philly finds a goalie they're going nowhere too. They are making mistakes just like McPhee but at least they are boldly trying to win the Cup every year.

But it baffles me why they can't find a goalie after, what, 15 years? Haha
baffled?

* boldly trying to win a cup every year means no budget for a goalie.
* its their choice. they are end up with more bad contracts because of their aggressiveness. its the price you pay, but 4m for hartnell and the contract they signed timmonen and pronger to is why they have no cap space for a goalie.

The flyers have a reputation and a style of play they have to pay for. they spend money on muscle and toughness that they should spend on a goalie.

Old
05-22-2011, 09:38 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
It was Tim Kennedy.
Ooh, woops my bad.

Old
05-22-2011, 09:53 PM
dashtary*

I'd love to get Patrick Sharp if Chicago's in a cap crunch, he's expiring but we could extend him. What would we most probably have to give up to get him?

Old
05-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
If we get rid of Green we will have money to give Ville Leino an offer

But GMGM runs the team so it wouldn't happen, we don't need playoff performers in Washington.
We don't have to ditch Green to get Leino, and he's had one meaningful playoff performance in three attempts. He had 5 points in 11 games this year and was MIA in the Boston series (only 1 point and 4 shots in 4 games). Leino is not the answer to any of the Capitals' problems, really. Good complimentary player, but he's not going to take anyone over the top.

Old
05-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
We don't have to ditch Green to get Leino, and he's had one meaningful playoff performance in three attempts. He had 5 points in 11 games this year and was MIA in the Boston series (only 1 point and 4 shots in 4 games). Leino is not the answer to any of the Capitals' problems, really. Good complimentary player, but he's not going to take anyone over the top.
I am not sure if I see that the same way. I don't view Leino as soft as our high skill players. We don't need to add more skill. We need a few guys with heart and effort. He may be a good piece to add if we loose Laich. And I sort of hope we do loose Laich. Laich is a jack of all trades and a master of none. We are going to be paying for skilled set not used if we keep Laich. I see him as a fringe top six forward. When the machine was rolling he got his points. But this season when the team was struggling he did little to help. He should have pushed Knuble off the first line by now. Dont get me wrong I love Knuble but he looked old and slow this year. He gets his goals with high hockey IQ. He knows how to put himself in a spot to score. And Laich does not do that. Laich is going to get paid like a 2C this year. And that a luxury we can not afford to pay a fringe top six forward. Unless he is going to play 2C. I would rather pay someone with less skill but more defined roll. And put the saved money into another player.

There always seem to be someone that asks "who"

For the money Laich will be getting that summer. $3.8 Tuomo Ruutu is a much better fit for our needs and team makeup.

And if we were going to go less money. Chad Larose $1.7 or Erik Cole $2.9 both fit.

Old
05-23-2011, 01:03 PM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
oooh...oops. spelled his name wrong.

when was the last cup? since leonsis has owned the caps. has he won a cup? has holmgren got a cup as a manager? didnt they take a highly talented team with a cup winning coach and get run out of the 2nd round in 4 straight games?

if you admire the flyers and wish the caps were like them, you can have that opinion. my experience has been they are more hype year to year than the caps and have no more success at getting that cup. in fact i'd say that as unhappy as this board has been the flyers board is more unhappy and has been for years.

again, the reminder. this is supposed to be fun. not torture. whats next? you guys gonna start winging batteries at games?

snider's cups are old news. last time the flyers won a cup, was the 1970's. i'm not impressed.
6 Appearances in the Stanely Cup -1974, 1975, 1976, 1980, 1985, 1987, 1997, 2010 and your not impressed to our 1 in 1998????????????????????????

didnt they take a team that made the playoffs on the last day last year and make it to the Stanley Cup finals?

MORE HYPE? Has there been another team to get more hype in the last 2 years besides the Caps? NO.

Time to start be realistic.

Old
05-23-2011, 01:28 PM
txpd

i see your anger, but i point out again that since leonsis and mcphee have had the caps snider and flyers have been to the finals once and neither has a cup.

there's no question that the flyers are a more accomplished franchise than the capitals. but the facts are that the flyers flail and thrash in an attempt to win. part of that is trying to keep their fans interested, but that doesnt change the fact that flyers tend to overreact and do to much.

you seem to want to see more movement to provide proof that the caps are trying. you can see that the flyers are trying. they are ditching players and throwing money around.
in the end they hurt themselves as often as they help themselves doing that.

Old
05-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Nobody came to play for the Flyers in the Boston series. We need complimentary players, like it or not Alzner/Carlson, Ovechkin, and Backstrom is our core that needs to be built around. Green is a lost cause come playoff time, he doesn't have what it takes as a professional NHL player or even a man to answer the bell when it's crunch time, he will never bring us a Cup.

Old
05-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Efactor

Core is 8, 19, 27, 74.

Everyone else is in play.

We need to move forward. The current group has been together for a number of years with virtually no post-season success and no progression.

Old
05-23-2011, 06:38 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efactor View Post
Core is 8, 19, 27, 74.

Everyone else is in play.

We need to move forward. The current group has been together for a number of years with virtually no post-season success and no progression.
8,19,27,74 + 90, 30, 70. (Even if 70 proves to be > 30, we'll hopefully be able to keep 30 around -- he's that damn good.)

Old
05-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
8,19,27,74 + 90, 30, 70. (Even if 70 proves to be > 30, we'll hopefully be able to keep 30 around -- he's that damn good.)
I had to look up who 70 was, he disappeared from memory rather quickly.

I'm excited about Johansson, I hated on the guy during the first half of the season but he definitely exceed expectations. He will be the legit 2nd line center we've needed next year and is also capable of playing on the 1st line if need be.

Old
05-23-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
Most would agree with this, and hope that the future would include Kuz, Orlov, Eakin etc.

Old
05-23-2011, 09:10 PM
dashtary*

I know that I'm a Zherdev supporter and everyone hates him. But would you guys take him on a league-minimum- 1 million contract to play on a line with Ovechkin & Backstrom or Semin? I know it sounds absolutely crazy, but he has put up 55+ Points twice in his career and if he plays with one of his country mates who knows how much he could produce. From what I saw in the playoffs he would battle and had a bit of an edge, what everyone thought was lacking in the playoffs. Thoughts? I know it's JMO but I wanted to see what you all thought. I know there are other needs, but.

Closed Thread