HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XV

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2011, 05:32 AM
fsnoles98

vCash: 500
Once again, being a Cap fan means an early golf season. So with that said, what changes do you really think the front office makes? If you say a coach, name a replacement. Just interested to see your thoughts on what that Caps do?

Old
05-04-2011, 06:07 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Mike Green has been arguably the Caps' best defenseman in the playoffs and deserves credit for turning his game around. Of course, ignorant fans from other teams will stereotype him and scapegoat him for the Caps' loss that's really on a lack of discipline from their coach.

Other than that, you're right.

On the bright side, Neuvirth is a keeper.

Mike Green has upped his physical play this season, i give him credit for that. But he is still a mental midget in his own end. He is a BAD defenseman. You don't win with guys like that, i am not picking on the guy he is just that bad. I think Varlamov has a higher upside then Neuvirth but the injuries are concerning.

Last edited by Paulinho: 05-04-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old
05-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 301
Tarik's two cents:
Quote:
It also raises questions about the culture inside the dressing room. Who holds whom accountable? How does a talented core, one that’s endured so much postseason turmoil, come out so flat for such a crucial third period?

The coach can only control so much. At some point, the will and want has to come from those in uniform.

There’s only one way that I can envision this roster returning as currently constructed next season. And that’s if they put together an unlikely four-game winning streak. If that doesn’t happen, the time for allowing the “Young Guns” to grow up together will have passed. It will be time for McPhee to make substantial changes to the team’s makeup.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:29 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Tarik is ****ing clueless tabloid journalist.

The players are young and poorly coached. That's how they come out flat. They haven't been taught how to do it the right way. They were teenagers under Bruce and have been polluted by his approach to the game.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

the question is how or through what.

if a trade is what is needed to shake the team up, who, what for, and when?

Old
05-04-2011, 11:56 AM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
the question is how or through what.

if a trade is what is needed to shake the team up, who, what for, and when?
I would think that the most available young gun with the most value would be Green, with a developing Carlson and then Wideman being signed. I don't know if you'd be able to get a top 6 caliber centerman or different style of d-man; even just freeing the salary could be beneficial if they chose to go that way.

Not advocating that particular scenario, just one I could see were they to make a big shakeup, but that has never been McPhee's m.o.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:59 AM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
I would think that the most available young gun with the most value would be Green, with a developing Carlson and then Wideman being signed. I don't know if you'd be able to get a top 6 caliber centerman or different style of d-man; even just freeing the salary could be beneficial if they chose to go that way.

Not advocating that particular scenario, just one I could see were they to make a big shakeup, but that has never been McPhee's m.o.
McPhee better make it his "m.o" this time 'round or he will be the next one to be canned.

Old
05-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Efactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Tarik is ****ing clueless tabloid journalist.

The players are young and poorly coached. That's how they come out flat. They haven't been taught how to do it the right way. They were teenagers under Bruce and have been polluted by his approach to the game.
Between the Mike Green comments and the above excerpt, I can't tell if you are a blind homer or just blind.

Green has been terrible. Only Backstrom has been worse. Watch the games more closely. You'll see who is on the ice when we are scored on, it's been 52 a lot. You'll see we have a $6.7M offensive #1 center who played more than 24 minutes without a shot last night and hasn't scored a goal since it was cold outside the Verizon Center.

We need to hold those who have sucked accountable, at least Tarik is.

Old
05-04-2011, 01:28 PM
WcRoenick97

I'm starting to think this clubhouse is a "country club," just like the Redskins were until Shanahan/Allen came in.

Old
05-04-2011, 01:29 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Pretty much on the same page as Tarik (aside from singling out Mojo as one of the stars not showing up...since he's basically a kid and still playing rather well).

Old
05-04-2011, 01:44 PM
BPMrules

I wonder if Brooks Laich is going to want to stick around for a couple more years, if we get bounced tonight. I feel like he is getting frustrated with the lack of effort around him. It would be a shame to see him go because of it.

Old
05-04-2011, 01:52 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Players who have stepped up their game in the playoffs: Laich, Green, Mojo, Chimera

Players who have maintained their regular season level: Ovechkin, Semin, Hannan, Erskine, Alzner, Carlson, Neuvirth, Gordon, Arnott

Passengers: Knuble (though this is probably excusable due to his hand), Sturm, Hendricks, Backstrom, Fehr, Bradley

The Tyler Sloan award for ECHL-level play: +50.

This tells me GMGM needs to bring Laich back, and should try to bring Hannan, Arnott, and Gordon if the salaries fit. Sturm and Bradley should probably be let go. Fehr could be a nice candidate for a value trade, and Schultz needs to be dealt for whatever he can get.

Old
05-04-2011, 01:56 PM
txpd

Knuble? didnt Knuble score a game tying power play goal vs NYR with a broken hand? Didnt score a goal last night washed out by a stupid penalty. Did not score a goal that counted after that? Did he not do most of the work on a Caps ppg later in the game?

I see Arnott on your good list and Knuble on your passenger list and really dont see that at all.

Old
05-04-2011, 01:59 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Knuble? didnt Knuble score a game tying power play goal vs NYR with a broken hand? Didnt score a goal last night washed out by a stupid penalty. Did not score a goal that counted after that? Did he not do most of the work on a Caps ppg later in the game?

I see Arnott on your good list and Knuble on your passenger list and really dont see that at all.
I said it's probably excusable due to his hand, but 2 points in 5 games from a first line player is passenger territory, no doubt.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMrules View Post
I wonder if Brooks Laich is going to want to stick around for a couple more years, if we get bounced tonight. I feel like he is getting frustrated with the lack of effort around him. It would be a shame to see him go because of it.
I feel the 'talent' of this squad has been overplayed. Outside of OV and Backstrom there isn't much depth. You have an enigmatic Semin, no bonafide 2nd line C, glorified 3rd liner in Laich, glorified 4th liner in Chimera, etc.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:41 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

The talent is likely a bit overrated, but for the 50th time, Brooks Laich isn't a glorified 3nd liner. He's a legit second liner, and borderline first liner.

He had 48 points this season. That tied him for 28th amongst left wingers. Last year he was 15th. The year before, he was tied for 23rd. The year before that, he was tied for 39th. So 4 straight years, he's been a top 40 point producer at his position, and 3 straight years he's been a top 30 producer. That's as legit as it gets for a top-6 forward.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Players who have stepped up their game in the playoffs: Laich, Green, Mojo, Chimera
sometimes i wonder if we watch the same games.....Green was solid (at best) against the NYR and has been awful in round 2, thats stepping up his game?

Old
05-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
The talent is likely a bit overrated, but for the 50th time, Brooks Laich isn't a glorified 3nd liner. He's a legit second liner, and borderline first liner.

He had 48 points this season. That tied him for 28th amongst left wingers. Last year he was 15th. The year before, he was tied for 23rd. The year before that, he was tied for 39th. So 4 straight years, he's been a top 40 point producer at his position, and 3 straight years he's been a top 30 producer. That's as legit as it gets for a top-6 forward.
Laich is not a borderline 1st line player.....and if he is a legit 2nd liner, its on a team that cant get out of the 2nd round.

On a top team.....he plays 2nd/3rd line and gets some pp/pk time when needed

Old
05-04-2011, 03:23 PM
DrPP

vCash: 504
Quote:

Players who have maintained their regular season level: Ovechkin, Semin, Hannan, Erskine, Alzner, Carlson, Neuvirth, Gordon, Arnott

Passengers: Knuble (though this is probably excusable due to his hand), Sturm, Hendricks, Backstrom, Fehr, Bradley

The Tyler Sloan award for ECHL-level play: +50.

This tells me GMGM needs to bring Laich back, and should try to bring Hannan, Arnott, and Gordon if the salaries fit. Sturm and Bradley should probably be let go. Fehr could be a nice candidate for a value trade, and Schultz needs to be dealt for whatever he can get.
This is some of the more bizarre analysis I've seen. Congrats.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:25 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
sometimes i wonder if we watch the same games.....Green was solid (at best) against the NYR and has been awful in round 2, thats stepping up his game?
Come on, even you have to admit that he stepped up his game from both this season and past post-seasons.

Quote:
Laich is not a borderline 1st line player.....and if he is a legit 2nd liner, its on a team that cant get out of the 2nd round.

On a top team.....he plays 2nd/3rd line and gets some pp/pk time when needed
On playoff teams, Laich is a first liner on Pittsburgh, New York, and possibly on Montreal, Nashville, Phoenix, and Chicago. If not a first liner, he's definitely a second liner on the latter 4.

I really don't get the opinion on Laich here. He produces very well offensively for a second liner and is probably the most versatile and well-rounded player on the team. How is he not a top-6 player?

Old
05-04-2011, 03:26 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPP View Post
This is some of the more bizarre analysis I've seen. Congrats.
What's bizarre about it? Instead on one-line sniping, how about some actual suggestions?

Old
05-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Come on, even you have to admit that he stepped up his game from both this season and past post-seasons.
are you serious? again, he played solid in round 1. Thats it....not great (like you would expect from a #1 D making #1 D salary)...seeing how he just came back from an injury I can give him some more credit

this series? are you kidding me? He has been terrible...especially last night. I still cant get over how poorly he plays the 2-on-1. Yes, Laich turned it over and Erskine didnt make a play....Green watched all this develope and still was abused by 2 checking line players (good ones, but hardly 66/68). They essentially had a 2-0 break

Green has been terrible in round 2, no other way to say it

Quote:
On playoff teams, Laich is a first liner on Pittsburgh, New York, and possibly on Montreal, Nashville, Phoenix, and Chicago. If not a first liner, he's definitely a second liner on the latter 4.

I really don't get the opinion on Laich here. He produces very well offensively for a second liner and is probably the most versatile and well-rounded player on the team. How is he not a top-6 player?
I just dont see it that way...I look at his skillset, and its a very solid one, and I see a very good, versatile, 3rd line player who can play any position and be bumped up to a scoring line here and there and can play the PP a little.

I think part of the problem here is you might think im saying he isnt talented, or that a 3rd liner is just some plumber out there grinding away. Thats not how I see it.....

Old
05-04-2011, 03:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
are you serious? again, he played solid in round 1. Thats it....not great (like you would expect from a #1 D making #1 D salary)...seeing how he just came back from an injury I can give him some more credit

this series? are you kidding me? He has been terrible...especially last night. I still cant get over how poorly he plays the 2-on-1. Yes, Laich turned it over and Erskine didnt make a play....Green watched all this develope and still was abused by 2 checking line players (good ones, but hardly 66/68). They essentially had a 2-0 break

Green has been terrible in round 2, no other way to say it

I just dont see it that way...I look at his skillset, and its a very solid one, and I see a very good, versatile, 3rd line player who can play any position and be bumped up to a scoring line here and there and can play the PP a little.

I think part of the problem here is you might think im saying he isnt talented, or that a 3rd liner is just some plumber out there grinding away. Thats not how I see it.....
Completely serious on Green. Simple question: Was Green better in the playoffs or the regular season?

On Laich, I think skillsets are a terrible way of determining if a player is a top-sixer or not. Plenty of guys (Smyth, Malone, Morrow, etc.) are unquestionable to-6 players without a classic top-6 skillset. They're top-6 players because they've produced like top-6 players.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Capitlols

So if the Caps get swept, whose future is on the line? Guys like Semin, Green, Schultz, Chimera, Fehr, Laich, Poti, anyone else?

Old
05-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Completely serious on Green. Simple question: Was Green better in the playoffs or the regular season?

On Laich, I think skillsets are a terrible way of determining if a player is a top-sixer or not. Plenty of guys (Smyth, Malone, Morrow, etc.) are unquestionable to-6 players without a classic top-6 skillset. They're top-6 players because they've produced like top-6 players.
Green:

in round 1 about the same, in round 2, again...he has been awful

Im not sure I put Malone in the same group as Smyth and Morrow. I certainly dont put Laich in the same group as those two

I think skillset is a much better way of looking at a player than the stat sheet alone....and I consider having a nose for the net and scoring goals a "skill". Those two have a much longer track record of doing that and are just better offensive players than Laich, who I....err...like quite a bit. Doesnt make him a 2nd liner, border line 1st liner however

Closed Thread