HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XV

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2011, 04:05 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
So if the Caps get swept, whose future is on the line? Guys like Semin, Green, Schultz, Chimera, Fehr, Laich, Poti, anyone else?
Can't imagine Chimera and Laich are on that list based on their playoff performances.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:15 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
Green:

in round 1 about the same, in round 2, again...he has been awful

Im not sure I put Malone in the same group as Smyth and Morrow. I certainly dont put Laich in the same group as those two

I think skillset is a much better way of looking at a player than the stat sheet alone....and I consider having a nose for the net and scoring goals a "skill". Those two have a much longer track record of doing that and are just better offensive players than Laich, who I....err...like quite a bit. Doesnt make him a 2nd liner, border line 1st liner however
Well, I think Green was better overall in the playoffs than in the regular season (and certainly better than in previous playoffs), that's why I put him on that list.

I don't think Laich or Malone is in the same class as Smyth and Morrow, but it's the same sort of analysis. If you watched those guys handle, pass, and shoot the puck, you wouldn't think they're definite first liners, but they are because they produce. Laich's produced like, at worst, a middle of the pack second-line left winger over the last four years. At best, he's produced like a middle of the pack first line left winger. If he'd only done it for a year, it might be more productive to look at his skillset to analyze whether he's a top-sixer or not. But four consecutive years? I think that's plenty of evidence that he's a top-6 player.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:23 PM
sycamore

Quote:
So if the Caps get swept, whose future is on the line? Guys like Semin, Green, Schultz, Chimera, Fehr, Laich, Poti, anyone else?
I'd take Fehr off that list too -- he's been BB's whipping boy all season, has not had enough ice time during the reg season or the playoffs. I'm pretty confident if given enough ice team and a more prominent role on the time Fehr will develop into a very solid player.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:49 PM
txpd

Quote:
who's future is on the line?
Laich, Arnott, Bradley, Gordon, Hannan. They are all unsigned free agents. Poti's future has been on the line for 6 months. Nothing he has done in the playoffs makes his situation worse.

What about Chimera's playoffs has made him expendable? Fehr and Schultz could definately be moving particularly if McPhee decides they need more age on the roster. If Hannan stays, its possible that he gets Schultz budget line. If Arnott or another veteran center comes in, he may get Fehr's budget line.

Backstrom has been the biggest underperformer, yet he gets a pass here. Semin has had his mistakes, but he's delivered in the clutch as well. Next year at this time I would rather have what Semin has brought than what Backstrom has brought.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

I can't believe how many Caps fans defend Mike Green. Truly shocking.

Old
05-04-2011, 05:20 PM
fsnoles98

Green, Schultz and Semin all waste ice space.

Old
05-04-2011, 05:37 PM
txpd

Semin has 4 goals in 8 games. Second on the team. Waste of space? LOL

Old
05-04-2011, 05:48 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
I can't believe how many Caps fans defend Mike Green. Truly shocking.
I wasn't last year. He's gotten better. You know, things change. Ask Chinua Achebe.

Semin and Schultz are just stupid, soft, inconsistent players that are taking up space.

Old
05-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Getting rid of Mike Green to make sufficient cap space for Poti and Schultz isn't productive much.

Getting good top-4 (or better top-2) d-man and a better coach who can use Green properly - that's the better way imho.

Even RFA Green could be traded next summer.

I would suggest that we are keeping Green, Carlson and Wideman for next season (all 3 with contracts expiring in 2012) while grooming Orlov in AHL all year.

One of Green/Wideman could be kept easily and that's the one who wanna make some discount probably.

Less PP time and points for Carlson - less money for him also.

Old
05-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Green, Schultz and Semin all waste ice space.

Agreed.

Go Noles!

Old
05-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Caps need a legit, physical shutdown, defensive defensemen. I like Hannan but even he doesn't fit that mold. Not many options via FA, perhaps through a trade.

Old
05-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Not that I expected him back...

SWhyno: Jason Arnott kept talking about next year's Caps team as "they" and "them." Draw your own conclusion. #Caps

Old
05-04-2011, 09:49 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Not that I expected him back...

SWhyno: Jason Arnott kept talking about next year's Caps team as "they" and "them." Draw your own conclusion. #Caps
He was saying "they" and "them" since he was brought here. Nothing new.

Old
05-04-2011, 09:54 PM
pgreene

i'm all for parting ways with fehr, semin, torn very much on schultz (i want so much for him to be better than he is, but just don't ever see him getting above the level he's at now) but leaning towards him being gone.

i don't know. i really don't care right now. need a couple of weeks away from the noise and nonsense that is bound to follow the caps for the foreseeable future. wish i still followed baseball...

Old
05-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

Eh, there is contract uncertainty so it makes sense but I don't know how Arnott really fits. Great guy but the on-ice results aren't there often enough at either end to make a strong enough case for 2C or 3C.

I noticed the same semantic tendency from Wideman for quite a while.

8, 19, 27, 74 & 90 seems like the new core. The others...meh.

Old
05-04-2011, 09:56 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Arnott: "Hopefully they take the experience away and look at it that way and have a horrible summer and come back hungrier next year."

Old
05-04-2011, 09:58 PM
dashtary*

While we may be bummed out, this is uncharted territory. To be honest, I'm excited. MASSIVE changes are coming, and that's something that we've never experienced with this team. There's going to be personnel changes, especially with the coaches. I believe that Dale Hunter will be our next coach, there's too great of a connection and a relationship with the organization, and especially Mcphee. I believe that for once we'll actually be agressive in trades/moves. Players are going to be traded, whether we like it or not. I really think that we'll be aggressive in free agency, especially with all of these expirings, players to be moved, and dead-weight that needs to be moved. I think and hope we pull a Vancouver and go crazy this offseason, trade and sign all the players you need to fill holes. And finally, bring in a physical imposing force for the top-pair like a Chris Pronger. Also, I believe we can integrate some of the youngsters at the same time. It's still time to believe, get it next year. Go Caps.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
While we may be bummed out, this is uncharted territory. To be honest, I'm excited. MASSIVE changes are coming, and that's something that we've never experienced with this team. There's going to be personnel changes, especially with the coaches. I believe that Dale Hunter will be our next coach, there's too great of a connection and a relationship with the organization, and especially Mcphee. I believe that for once we'll actually be agressive in trades/moves. Players are going to be traded, whether we like it or not. I really think that we'll be aggressive in free agency, especially with all of these expirings, players to be moved, and dead-weight that needs to be moved. I think and hope we pull a Vancouver and go crazy this offseason, trade and sign all the players you need to fill holes. And finally, bring in a physical imposing force for the top-pair like a Chris Pronger. Also, I believe we can integrate some of the youngsters at the same time. It's still time to believe, get it next year. Go Caps.
You posted literally the complete opposite of what I think is going to happen.

In short: we are going to have the same roster, coach, GM, postseason failure next year.

I hope to God I'm wrong and you're right.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
To be honest, I'm excited. MASSIVE changes are coming, and that's something that we've never experienced with this team.
Yeah, that's never happened.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:05 PM
dashtary*

We've had the same conservative crap, and have given leeway for way too long boys. I really think that this summer it's going to change. They just can't win, not even with this team. I really think (****ing hope) that what I posted is the way that it will go down.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:48 PM
IafrateOvie34

I had my doubts with changes in the past, but I do believe they are coming. I think it was Sunnydays that said it, but I agree MacTavish is a good fit for this team as coach. There are other candidates, but I think we need a guy who has won cups and he can teach those little things. Semin, Green, Backstrom, and Schultz were called out publicly on TV, so I am glad that we're not the only ones saying it. As for Fehr, I say keep him and see what he can do for a new coach. The issue with him is health. Schultz really got called out and all the stuff people tried to say good about him, fell apart and he truly is horrible. I don't care about stats either, those mean nothing. I'm giving Backstrom no pass, but I am not for trading him yet. If he shows up out of shape in training camp, time to look for takers. I'm not going to even comment on Green, I have said enough about him. I have no idea what value Semin will have. I don't think he will be here next year by the trade deadline.

Go Caps!!

Old
05-04-2011, 10:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Eh, there is contract uncertainty so it makes sense but I don't know how Arnott really fits. Great guy but the on-ice results aren't there often enough at either end to make a strong enough case for 2C or 3C.

I noticed the same semantic tendency from Wideman for quite a while.

8, 19, 27, 74 & 90 seems like the new core. The others...meh.
That's how I see it...

RE: Arnott....loved what he brought....but I don't see much left in the tank....

Old
05-04-2011, 11:04 PM
IafrateOvie34

I'm going to say it now, I think Eakin and Orlov make the team next season and make impacts. Eakin is the type of guy the Caps need. Having Knuble resigned helps in teaching Eakin the NHL game. Eakin will be the guy that will get those garbage goals. I believe Orlov will be steady for a rookie and surprise a lot of folks. I think Neuvy learned a lot from the NHL playoffs and will grow on this, but Holtby is going to push him for starting role. On the out via trades I see Green, Semin, Schultz, and Varly being the trade bait. There will be teams that will inquire about them, I'm going to bet on it. As for UFAs, I don't see a lot of big impact players. I would like to resign Hannan, possibly Arnott if they don't want the world in money. Might want to look at a legit number 1 RW too. I prefer a PF mold. Mojo I think will have a breakout season next year. To me, I thought he was our best forward in the playoffs.

Go Caps!!

Old
05-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

We need some Scottie Upshall.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:07 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I'm going to say it now, I think Eakin and Orlov make the team next season and make impacts. Eakin is the type of guy the Caps need. Having Knuble resigned helps in teaching Eakin the NHL game. Eakin will be the guy that will get those garbage goals. I believe Orlov will be steady for a rookie and surprise a lot of folks. I think Neuvy learned a lot from the NHL playoffs and will grow on this, but Holtby is going to push him for starting role. On the out via trades I see Green, Semin, Schultz, and Varly being the trade bait. There will be teams that will inquire about them, I'm going to bet on it. As for UFAs, I don't see a lot of big impact players. I would like to resign Hannan, possibly Arnott if they don't want the world in money. Might want to look at a legit number 1 RW too. I prefer a PF mold. Mojo I think will have a breakout season next year. To me, I thought he was our best forward in the playoffs.

Go Caps!!
I'd trade Neuvy instead of Varly.

Closed Thread