HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XV

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2011, 11:42 PM
WanderingCapsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Eh, there is contract uncertainty so it makes sense but I don't know how Arnott really fits. Great guy but the on-ice results aren't there often enough at either end to make a strong enough case for 2C or 3C.

I noticed the same semantic tendency from Wideman for quite a while.

8, 19, 27, 74 & 90 seems like the new core. The others...meh.
If that's the case, we better hope that this year was an aberration for 8 & 19.

19 was invisible most of the year.

8 wasn't much better.

I hope both were hurt, and return to form next season. Otherwise, those contracts look horrendous.

And I don't want to hear how 8's game has "matured", and he's more of a distributor now. BS..........I don't want to pay that kind of money for Marc Savard.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Govechkin

Offseason plan:

1)Get rid of BB. It's one thing to lose a bunch in a row, but if you get days and days to study an opponent and you can't do anything about it with the EC Champion (which means nothing as we have learned) than you need to go. During the Caps timeout Boucher was yelling at his players, and Boudreau was doing nothing. Nothing. At one point after a penalty he mutters g*ddam* and thats it. He doesn't know what he is doing in-game.

2) Jettison Poti and Shultz. The human pylon showed his weakness this postseason, that being the lack of footspeed. It's one thing to get burned, but if players just pivot away and you can't contain them or force bad passes you will never be dangerous to them. Poti, if he comes back, is unnecessary with Wideman. Resign Hannan and Wideman and let Poti and Shultz roam to greener pastures.

3) Get a coach that holds players accountable for bonehead moves, ie Semin dangling and getting it taken away, and Semin with the awful stick penalties all the time. Force OV to play some defense by moving his feet, and require that your defensemen skate into the corners and not glide into them like a frightened animal.

4) Give all three goalies a shot to play from day 1. No one has "earned it" and all three have their strengths. Having a guy like Holtby that can play the puck like a D-man prevents a few goals a year, and thats worth it in the long run.

5) Resign Laich and give him the C. He is a much better presence vocally, and it will take pressure off of OV to be the team leader. Laich tries all the time, and giving that kind of guy money doesn't make him dial it in, it makes him want to back up that contract.

6) Adios 18. No need for a guy who can't finish or punish or fly anymore. If your fourth line stays intact and shows the grit that we thought they had, Sturm can't play there. Assuming Backstrom returns to his younger, talented days, he is our first C and MoJo earns #2C straight outta camp. Maybe Gordo moves up and Eakin takes a shot at 4c, maybe Arnott sticks around for 3C, who knows.

7) Try something new on the PP. The overhaul worked for the PK mostly, and with that much firepower they should be humming in the top 10 no problem.

8) Don't let the players show up out of shape, and don't let them get out of shape during the season. Good strength conditioning keeps players from getting injured as often, and builds on itself over the course of a few months.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Caps can't ever strip Ovy of the C....it would finish him as a Cap.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
Old
05-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingCapsFan View Post
If that's the case, we better hope that this year was an aberration for 8 & 19.
There were clear motivation issues and a lingering hangover from the Montreal series. They never really turned the page in terms of personnel or offensive tactics. They eventually changed defensive tactics and neutral zone philosophy so as to remain in games and grind out points but there was never any apparent offensive counter-adjustment in their game to align itself with the conservative mindset. It largely remained run-and-gun individualism at heart, just more conservatively driven.

Bring in a coach that knows how to develop more balanced, dynamic, higher hockey IQ offenses and I would expect a refreshed team offensively. The status quo has grown stale.

Last edited by Langway: 05-04-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old
05-04-2011, 11:53 PM
sunnydaycrash

Stripping OV of the C is insane.

Where was Laich?????

Only player the showed up the last 2 games were OV and Knuble.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Stripping OV of the C is insane.

Where was Laich?????

Only player the showed up the last 2 games were OV and Knuble.
Second on the team in playoff scoring.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:01 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Caps can't ever strip Ovy of the C....it would finish him as a Cap.
why would they even do that he is our leader these playoffs have really showed us how important he is, being the only player that showed up

Old
05-05-2011, 12:03 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
I'd trade Neuvy instead of Varly.
i wouldnt he had 4 bad games but i guess its pretty close, so whoever gets more value

Old
05-05-2011, 12:09 AM
um

i think this team should trade semin for 2 top 6 forwards this team need more depth so we dont have to put sturm or chimera in our top 6.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
Several things: Anyone who suggests Laich should be captain instantly loses absolutely all credibility. That is a joke. Ovechkin very clearly should not have ever been named captain. He grew into it somewhat, but not nearly enough. Maybe he'll be ready in a few years, but he is not fit for the role now. However, now that the decision has been made, it can't be undone. He is the captain and that's it; hope he can improve.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:39 AM
The Instigator
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 900
Here's what I think. Take it or leave it:

1. BB needs to go. I love the guy, but this is unacceptable. I would like to see a guy like Deboer or Muller come in to spark the young guys.

2. Trade a goalie. All of them have strengths and weaknesses, so trade the one with the most value to a team like Edmonton, Florida or the likewise.

3. Resign Laich. Enough said.

4. Get a playoff guru. In my opinion this is Ruslan Fedotenko. Could be a cheap option and always performs in the playoff. I'd also like Sean Bergenheim, but after playing like this, he'll probably be resigned.

5. Sign a 2nd line center for a year or two until Mojo is ready for the responsibility. For example, Tim Connolly.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Paulinho
:baghead:

Send a message via Yahoo to Paulinho
Dump Semin & Green. Addition by subtraction.

Old
05-05-2011, 01:34 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Second on the team in playoff scoring.
You mean tied with Mojo, Green and Semin for 2nd in playoff scoring, with 1 goal in 9 games?

Don`t get me wrong, Brooksie is awesome and I really want to see him re-signed but when it came to crunch time in these last 2 games, the only 2 fowards who came to play were OV and Knuble and as someone mentioned, you strip OV of the C and you may as well trade him.

Last edited by sunnydaycrash: 05-05-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old
05-05-2011, 01:37 AM
sunnydaycrash

One thing I can`t get over is the lack of playing time for guys like Fehr,Bradley,Gordon,Hendricks,Chimera....essential ly the energy grinders.

Brads and Hendy only had 4 min of ice time....4 min in the 3rd game in 4 nights.

The Bolts had Bergenheim, Purcell, Moore, Thompson, Hall and Downie and they used them regularly.

Was this on BB or do the bottom 6 for the Caps have to be revamped?

Old
05-05-2011, 01:55 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Hannon will only get older and slower.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:09 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Everyone is chipping in their .02, might as well throw in mine for now.

Problem area #1 - the blue line:
It looked great against an inept Rangers offense, but never fared as well against offensively gifted teams, particularly those with speed and a strong transition game. Even in the new defensive system.

Solution:
Add a #2/4 who can play physical and skates well. Someone to pair with Green or Carlson. Ditch two of Schultz/Erskine/Hannan. Hannan is obviously the best of those three, but he's also the most expensive and looked old and slow against Tampa. Erskine becomes expendable and expensive if another truly physical dman is brought in. Hope that Poti recovers to add depth, flexibility, and quality to the defense.
Ideal target: Fedor Tyutin (CBJ-trade)
Other potential targets: Kevin Bieksa (UFA), Jonathan Ericsson (UFA), Matt Carle/Braydon Coburn (PHI-trade)

Problem area #2 - Centers
Backstrom is a mystery. Arnott is a UFA. Johansson will be a sophomore. Perreault hasn't shown consistency on the NHL level nor the toughness for a bottom 6 role. Gordon is a UFA. Hendricks and Laich are primarily wingers. Team lacks a #1 defensive zone option since trading Steckel, and that may be a contributing factor to Backstrom's decline.

Solution:
Let Arnott walk unless he's willing to take pennies on the dollar. Let Johansson grow into the 2C role (with Perreault as possible insurance), and address 2C at the deadline if needed. Sign a strong defensive 3C with some offensive upside. Resign Gordon for 4C (other options exist, but why mess with it for 4C and minimal savings). Resign Laich for 2C/3C insurance (and 2LW play). Hope Backstrom returns to form.

Ideal target: Marty Reasoner (UFA)
Other potential targets: Kyle Brodziak (MIN-trade), Jeff Halpern (UFA), Frans Nielsen (NYI-trade), Michal Handzus (UFA)

Problem area #3 - power forward
Fehr hasn't fully stepped up into this role. Knuble is aging. Laich is shuffled everywhere. Ovechkin can't always put away his own rebounds. This team needs a long-term answer here.

Solution:
There isn't really much on the free agent market here that's a clear upgrade. Resign Laich for flexibility. Trade Fehr. Add another piece to replace/upgrade over Fehr.
Ideal target: David Jones (COL-trade)
other targets: Scottie Upshall (UFA), Guillaume Latendresse (MIN-trade)

Problem area #4 - goalies
Neuvirth couldn't come up with the big save against Tampa, and struggled in game 4. Varlamov is injury prone. Holtby has struggled in the AHL playoffs two years in a row. All three have obvious upside and could prosper. One or more of them is going away in some fashion eventually.

Solution:
Hang on to them, but don't make any of them "untouchable." If someone comes calling for one in exchange for a needed piece, make the deal. If we need to send one to Columbus to get Fedor Tyutin or to Colorado to get David Jones, then it should be considered.

My vision of the team next year.
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Mike Knuble ($2.000m)
David Jones ($2.600m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Alexander Semin ($6.700m)
Brooks Laich ($3.300m) / Marty Reasoner ($1.700m) / Jason Chimera ($1.875m)
Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / Boyd Gordon ($0.850m) / Jay Beagle ($0.512m)
D.J. King ($0.637m)

DEFENSEMEN
Karl Alzner ($2.400m) / Mike Green ($5.250m)
Fedor Tyutin ($2.843m) / John Carlson ($0.845m)
Jeff Schultz ($2.750m) / Dennis Wideman ($3.937m)
Tom Poti ($2.875m) / Tyler Sloan ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov ($1.500m) / Braden Holtby ($0.637m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,878,322; BONUSES: $80,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $121,678

Old
05-05-2011, 05:00 AM
fsnoles98

Semin is a huge waste of monies. Cut the fat!!!! Schultz and Green as well. Put your Semin man love away, he has done nothing beside being sporadic which helps this team how??

Old
05-05-2011, 06:09 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Hannon will only get older and slower.
He did look absurdly slow out there.

I know some are ripping Poti, but at least he can skate.

I think a race between Erskine, Schultz, Hannan, and MoJo on one leg would be close.

Old
05-05-2011, 06:53 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
One thing I can`t get over is the lack of playing time for guys like Fehr,Bradley,Gordon,Hendricks,Chimera....essential ly the energy grinders.

Brads and Hendy only had 4 min of ice time....4 min in the 3rd game in 4 nights.

The Bolts had Bergenheim, Purcell, Moore, Thompson, Hall and Downie and they used them regularly.

Was this on BB or do the bottom 6 for the Caps have to be revamped?
It has nothing to do with either. It has to do with two things. The Tampa Bay roster make up and the score.

TB dresses 7 defensemen. They skate 3 lines, not 4. You can see that creates a matchup situation. Boudreau was asked in game one during the game about it and BB said he was comfortable going with mostly 3 lines.

Its also been Boudreau's SOP that the 4th line loses ice time when they are behind. Those guys lose their third period shifts to scoring lines for obvious reasons.

Old
05-05-2011, 06:55 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I know some are ripping Poti, but at least he can skate. .
i think thats inaccurate in more than one way. his groin has slowed him down and his groin has proven unable to allow him on the ice.

Old
05-05-2011, 07:16 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Hannan is fine. Its just that he does best with a partner that can skate. He was stuck with Sarge or Erskine largely. Thats one reason I proposed Carslon and Alzner be broken up during the regular season. They are our mobile guys. And well because they were noobs and noob pairings get exposed in the playoffs.

I saw it again yesterday, Sarge looking at a puck closer to him, making no effort whatsoever to go get it, forcing his defense partner go get it. I want him traded, his lack of assertiveness aggressiveness skating willingness/ability and heart is most obvious of all our players, so I start there. A guy of his size you would think he would at least clear the net in the playoffs; nope. That is what Hannan has had to deal with.

But Sarge has to be with someone mobile more than Hannan does. At least Hannan hustles and skates as hard as he can every game, not 4 times a year.

Old
05-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Semin has 4 goals in 8 games. Second on the team. Waste of space? LOL
Ive been what some would call a defender of 28 for a long time...ive often said he is singled out more for what he isnt than what he is.....

you know what....he is part of the problem. Its time to part ways. I dont think you win with guys like that.

there are guys that can score goals, but just arent worth having for other reasons. Somthing needs to change on this team and moving 28 seems to be a good idea at this point. He is what he is....an enigma. You not only need skilled players, you need smart ones. The too many men thing is just a perfect example of not having your head in the game.....when thats exactly where it needs to be.

For some reason Ray Sheppard comes to mind. The guy always seemed to be scoring goals and I never understood why teams didnt want him......I think I get it, sometimes its not worth it

Old
05-05-2011, 08:04 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
He did look absurdly slow out there.

I know some are ripping Poti, but at least he can skate.

I think a race between Erskine, Schultz, Hannan, and MoJo on one leg would be close.
Not compared to 4 and 55

Old
05-05-2011, 08:43 AM
dashtary*

Capitals Core

I think that this warrants its own thread. Due to the several questions going to this off-season, big moves are hopefully on the way. Who is the core to you guys? I always had 52 & 28 in my core because I love them, but **** it, if they can't get it done then we better find a way to make our team better and move them out.

Here is my core:
NHL:
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Johansson
Carlson
Alzner
Neuvirth
Holtby
Wideman (Thinking so)
Laich (Really Not Sure)

Prospects:
Kuznetsov (Eqiuivalent of Johannson)
Orlov (Equivalent of Carlson)
Eakin (Heart & Soul)
Galiev (Getting there?)

I'm curious to see what my fellow Caps fans think.

Old
05-05-2011, 10:06 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

If George remains at the helm, I see very little moves this summer. He will be the first to tell himself that he has done a great job drafting players and adhering to the 10 year plan he sold to Ted on becoming America's team.

After not canning Bruce last summer nor this winter, maybe he sticks with him. We won a playoff series in 5 games. That right there is progress. Ted.

Closed Thread