HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Young Forwards?

Old
03-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Leafs1331*

vCash: 500
Young Forwards?

A lot of speculation lately about whether BB will keep the picks, move up in the draft or trade them for nhl-ready prospects or very young established nhlers. I personally just hope he hangs on to the picks, but I think he will trade them for an nhl-ready winger or centre. So if BB went this route, who do you think he would target? Who do you think would be available? Do you think he would trade all picks and add a player for one really good young players?

Leafs1331* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Aplayaz2000

well Burke didn't make any trades in 2009... so i dont think he will

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Kulemon

If he gets Peumpel I will be happy.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Leafs1331*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
well Burke didn't make any trades in 2009... so i dont think he will
He attempted to move up and grab J.T, and was unable. Then tried to move up and grab B. Schenn.

But in this thread, I'm asking if he were to trade for a young player, who would it be and for what?

Leafs1331* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Thee Attack
HFBored

Send a message via MSN to Thee Attack
We have Lupul but hes more or less a stop gap unless hes shows improvement a point every other game isn't what you need from what should be part of your first line. Unlikly we can trade him so where going to have to hope for him to improve dumping him down to the 3rd line for 2 years also isn't a good choice. That leaves us to look at a center Bozak looks like a solid 3rd line center with the right wingers. Not overly physical but has the mechanics in the face-off department and general makes the safe play should come cheap after this season huge plus also. He still has room to grow I think don't care if you don't think so. Him and Army would be nice to bring along Kadri as a 3rd line so. First line Center. That should be our shopping list.

Thee Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:31 PM
bshaw

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
amen

bshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:44 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Puempel would have to drop to the late teens and I doubt that happens. Would love to see it as well though.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:50 PM
exporta

I am pretty sure Burke discussed on the Radio that he would like to move up in the draft citing that our first 3 picks would be enough to get into the top ten.

I imagine he'll either use the picks to land a young player, or package them together to move up in the draft. If he can't get what he wants/thinks is valuable, Burke will just use the picks.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Liminality

Although I don't think he will trade the picks. I'd imagine if he would it would be for guys who are top 6 material obviously.

Just throwing some names out there, David Booth is a winger with size having a down year. Not sure if he'd come cheap or if he'd even fit but he's only 26 and I think he can play a bigger role. He's been mentioned before on these boards but Devin Setoguchi is a skilled winger and 24, he'd probably cost too much.

This next guy might not be top 6 material but I really want him on the team, Cal Clutterbuck seems to be really finding his stride and he'd be perfect on the 3rd line with Armstrong.

I can't see Burke trading this years picks unless he gets a great deal somewhere.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:10 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs1331 View Post
He attempted to move up and grab J.T, and was unable. Then tried to move up and grab B. Schenn.

But in this thread, I'm asking if he were to trade for a young player, who would it be and for what?
If he goes after anyone, I would think it would be a young center with potential.

Think of guys like Jordan Staal, Patrik Berglund, Derick Brassard, and Sam Gagner.

I'm not saying all, or even any of these guys are available, but if Burke is going to try and bring in a young player instead of waiting a few years for the picks to come around, I could see some of the guys I listed being targets.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
If he goes after anyone, I would think it would be a young center with potential.

Think of guys like Jordan Staal, Patrik Berglund, Derick Brassard, and Sam Gagner.

I'm not saying all, or even any of these guys are available, but if Burke is going to try and bring in a young player instead of waiting a few years for the picks to come around, I could see some of the guys I listed being targets.
That's an interesting name that hasn't been thrown around as much.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:32 PM
stuttzy93
Browny #18

Quote:

I like it...

stuttzy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Attack View Post
We have Lupul but hes more or less a stop gap unless hes shows improvement a point every other game isn't what you need from what should be part of your first line. Unlikly we can trade him so where going to have to hope for him to improve dumping him down to the 3rd line for 2 years also isn't a good choice. That leaves us to look at a center Bozak looks like a solid 3rd line center with the right wingers. Not overly physical but has the mechanics in the face-off department and general makes the safe play should come cheap after this season huge plus also. He still has room to grow I think don't care if you don't think so. Him and Army would be nice to bring along Kadri as a 3rd line so. First line Center. That should be our shopping list.
Lupul is on pace for 20 goals if he keeps up his current pace with the leafs over 82 games. (Take his GP and goals as a leaf, over 82 GP he'd have 20G) Given the fact that he came off a major injury and has gelled with the team this much I wouldn't call him a stopgap. He'll get all the time in the world to prove he's more then top six. 20 goals out a 2nd line guy is perfect for us. Very few teams have more then one guy above 40 goals and if Kessel can hit that mark while MacArthur, Kulemin, Grabo and Lupul all hit 20+ then we have a very competent top six.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:39 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
I agree with that, or Patrick Berglund. He's 6'4, having him and Joe Colborne down the middle in a few years would create havoc for teams playing us.

What would it cost? a 1st and a 2nd?

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:56 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuttzy93 View Post
I like it...
I just tried to pick a few guys that were drafted a few years ago, that haven't quite broken out yet, but that i consider players that definitely have the potential to. I also think each of these guys could potentially be had for relatively low prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I agree with that, or Patrick Berglund. He's 6'4, having him and Joe Colborne down the middle in a few years would create havoc for teams playing us.

What would it cost? a 1st and a 2nd?
Personally, I love Berglund. He has size, and a lot of skill, he just hasn't put it all together yet. I think he has big time potential, and will be a very good top 6 center down the road.

I'm not sure what the price would be, but I think a 1st and 2nd would be a good starting point at least, but I would bet the Blues would want a roster player in return, or a good prospect.

Old
03-24-2011, 06:05 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
this is who i want according to mynhldraft.com he is going around 23.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
I will seriously LOL if burke trades up so that we pick before Boston.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
I hope he gets that player I've never seen play before.

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 07:01 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

What would I look for?

A team near the upper limit of the salary cap for next year.

A team with 2-3 high priced centers/forwards.

A team with a young center who could take someone's spot.

A team with a glaring hole somewhere else on the roster, or an RFA they need to sign.

And then see who they have avaiable, and at what cost.

Teams off the top of my head:

San Jose
Pittsburg
Philly

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Mr Shanahan

I would seriously love to have a few of the guys already named; Gagner, Brassard, Berglund would be great targets based on their potential and that they would be cheaper than they should. Jordan Staal would be a stretch, maybe even a guy like Joe Pavelski who is currently playing on the third line with the emergence of Logan Couture.

The only thing though, if Burke were to trade for one of these guys on draft day and give up a couple of the first three picks we have or even more than that, and then we see Brad Richards not sign with Tampa or New York on July 1st, I'd be pretty cheesed.

Mr Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 07:30 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getcha Dion View Post
I would seriously love to have a few of the guys already named; Gagner, Brassard, Berglund would be great targets based on their potential and that they would be cheaper than they should. Jordan Staal would be a stretch, maybe even a guy like Joe Pavelski who is currently playing on the third line with the emergence of Logan Couture.

The only thing though, if Burke were to trade for one of these guys on draft day and give up a couple of the first three picks we have or even more than that, and then we see Brad Richards not sign with Tampa or New York on July 1st, I'd be pretty cheesed.
Staal would definitely be a bit of a stretch. But with Jeffrey emerging as a very capable center, Pittsburgh may be willing to move Staal because he is more expensive, and try to pick up somebody to bolster their winger depth.

Even if Richards was available and willing to sign with the Leafs after they have already acquired a young top 6 forward piece, it never hearts to add additional depth. It could also allow them to move someone like Grabovski out. Options aren't really a bad thing.

Old
03-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Kulemon

Strome, Huberdeau, Puempel, are the forwards I think would be perfect for the Leafs. Puempel being the only one currently obtainable. We might be able to move up and grab Huberdeau but I doubt it.

Old
03-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Staal would definitely be a bit of a stretch. But with Jeffrey emerging as a very capable center, Pittsburgh may be willing to move Staal because he is more expensive, and try to pick up somebody to bolster their winger depth.

Even if Richards was available and willing to sign with the Leafs after they have already acquired a young top 6 forward piece, it never hearts to add additional depth. It could also allow them to move someone like Grabovski out. Options aren't really a bad thing.
I wouldn't hold my breathe on Staal but it is possible. It remains to be seen if he can become a good number 1 centre.

Old
03-24-2011, 07:37 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
I wouldn't hold my breathe on Staal but it is possible. It remains to be seen if he can become a good number 1 centre.
Staal is definitely not the first guy I would want the Leafs to go after. He has had plenty of opportunity with both Malkin and Crosby out, and hasn't exactly stepped up. I think he does have number 1 center potential, but being on the third line all this time probably hasn't helped him much.

Old
03-24-2011, 09:14 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Staal is definitely not the first guy I would want the Leafs to go after. He has had plenty of opportunity with both Malkin and Crosby out, and hasn't exactly stepped up. I think he does have number 1 center potential, but being on the third line all this time probably hasn't helped him much.
With that being said, he is still only 22.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote