HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NHL Trade Value Rankings- My Top 20

Old
03-24-2011, 07:36 PM
GoTeamDom

vCash: 500
I like this thread, but a lot of your values appear to be skewed either based on this year's performances or public opinion.

As a Canucks fan, I don't think the Sedins (Daniel Sedin actually) should be this high, nor should Kesler be this high either. The list also seems to be forward heavy - Edler, Letang, Enstrom, Suter, Green or even Myers and Subban not even registering as an honorable mention seems like an oversight. If this is a list for 1 year and 1 year only, Chara/Pronger/Lidstrom are all MUST haves. I don't think it's a coincidence that Pronger has been to 3 stanley cup finals since the lockout...

Anyways great topic!

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 07:42 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice1815 View Post
I wouldnt trade anyone on that list for JT or Duchene. Isles fans need to stop being homers, he is not a top 20 player, yet!
JT and Duchene might not be top 20 players yet, but their is a difference between being a top 20 player and who the most valuable players are.

For example Lidstrom may be a better player, but would anyone ever consider trading Doughty for Lidstrom. Simple answer is no because Doughty has at least 12-15 years left in the NHL barring serious injury, whereas Lidstrom is in his final year or two. Lidstrom is easily a top 20 player in the league, but I seriously doubt he has the same trade value as guys like Tavares, Doughty, Kane, Duchene.

In valuing a player you need to take into account
-Potential
-Contract status (still an RFA or a UFA at the end of contract)
-Current level of play

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 07:51 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Loui Erikkson? I'd much rather have him than Giroux and Datsyuk

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Flyersfan1014

1.Jody Shelley
2.Colton Orr
3.Mike Rupp
4.Wade Redden
5.George Parros
6.Krys Barch
7.Zenon Konopka
8.Rick Rypien
9.Shawn Thornton
10.Nolan Yonkman
11.Wade Belak
12.Jared Boll
13.Ben Eager
14.Raitis Ivanans
15.Patrick Kaleta
16.Zack Stortini
17.Sean O'Donnell
18.Wade Brookbank
19.Sheldon Brookbank
20.Craig Adams

Flyersfan1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:04 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzer View Post
You have to be kidding me?

Why should the trade value of Couture be above someone like Datsyuk who has already been PROVEN and a STANLEY CUP CHAMPION?

LOL
I think Datsyuk should be farther up as well. But he is getting old as the OP said

15 years of couture, or 7 of datsyuk?

CommanderShepard15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:13 PM
oilers1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
1.Jody Shelley
2.Colton Orr
3.Mike Rupp
4.Wade Redden
5.George Parros
6.Krys Barch
7.Zenon Konopka
8.Rick Rypien
9.Shawn Thornton
10.Nolan Yonkman
11.Wade Belak
12.Jared Boll
13.Ben Eager
14.Raitis Ivanans
15.Patrick Kaleta
16.Zack Stortini
17.Sean O'Donnell
18.Wade Brookbank
19.Sheldon Brookbank
20.Craig Adams
Ah yes, the best of the best.

oilers1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Tiger Blood

I wish I had the time right now, but this idea definitely needs a set formula that takes position, points, age, cap hit, etc into account to come up with an actual number.

Tiger Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Claude Giroux? Nice player but let's face it he is nowhere in the same league as Tavares, Duchene or Hall.

Nothing against any of the goalies on the list either but I think the Luongo trade is a decent indication of goaltender values on the trade market.
why becuase of their draft pedigree??? please dude (and all the other people who have made similar comments)

not only has giroux proven himself more to this point BUT he has provided more of a scoring punch has shown he can be a leader on a first place team AND has already shown he can be a playoff beast

the 3 you listed are young stars(hmm ironically so is giroux) that havent proven nearly as much...not even close to as much

so yeah giroux would be the more valuable becuase he's the best out of the 4 TO THIS POINT, and im not aware of people who have crystal balls depicting whats in store for all 4 aside from success

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:37 PM
AntonRodin*

Need more Optimus Reim!

AntonRodin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Neester

This list has far too many variables. Anything beyond the next couple of years is so uncertain that you cannot even have a rational debate about who should be on the list. For example, Stamkos should be at least a top-10 player this year, but there is no certainty about his cap hit for the rest of his career. So, not only are we projecting how long he'll play for (with your organization) but the value of his play for that many years, his cap hit during those years, and his potential future trade value.

Edit: when I say Stamkos is top-10, it's not to say that he isn't top-5 or even top-3, but that he's at least top-10.

Last edited by Neester: 03-24-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: clarifying Stamkos comment
Neester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Chad29Johnson

list lacks Phil Kessel...or for that matter a player who has actually been traded...are we sure this just isnt a list of the 20 most untradeable players?

Chad29Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:25 AM
um

this is fun let me take a whack at it

1.crosby
2.ovechkin
3.stamkos
4.toews
5.weber
6.backstrom
7.kane
8.doughty
9.perry
10.malkin
11.parise
12.getzlaf
13.kopitar
14.nash
15.richards
16.price
17.eriksson
18.staal
19.d.sedin
20.h.sedin

HM: giroux, carter, suter,duchene, tavares, kesler, miller

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 04:35 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad29Johnson View Post
list lacks Phil Kessel...or for that matter a player who has actually been traded...are we sure this just isnt a list of the 20 most untradeable players?
I guess that's the point. If Phil was so valuable, he probably would never have been traded.

For young guys like Crosby, you have to remember that his contract takes him to be a young UFA. He may be younger than the Sedins but that doesn't mean he'll be with Pit longer than the Sedins will be with Van (just am example, don't get too hung up on specifics).

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 07:06 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Very good idea. With so many folks complaining about the list, I was expecting to see their lists so we can all have an idea of what they think of player's trade values.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
I hate to be a homer but I have to believe in terms of trade value Tavares is at least somewhere between 15-20. In the same vein Talyor Hall in that range as well
There's no way.

Anyways on to the list, I do like the idea but I'm not sure I like your list. I'll be an anti-homer and say the Sedins should be much lower if were refering to trade value. Why? Because as individuals they wouldn't have as much value, and as a package, a team just wouldn't have the assets to get both.

Datsyuk should be near the top. I'd prefer him over Weber, actually.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 09:26 AM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Some people are misunderstanding how the list works. I've been reading Simmons doing these for years, and its fairly simple.

For example, Taylor Hall should be higher than Datsyuk. If Detroit offered Datsyuk for Hall this off-season, Edmonton would say no immediately. If Edmonton offered Hall for Datsyuk, Detroit management would at least get together and talk about it.

It's not an exact science, because teams are in different situations.. But that's the main premise.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:03 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Claude Giroux? Nice player but let's face it he is nowhere in the same league as Tavares, Duchene or Hall.

Nothing against any of the goalies on the list either but I think the Luongo trade is a decent indication of goaltender values on the trade market.
LOL really? Cause he's proven an awful lot already.

Giroux:
2008-09 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 42 9 18 27
2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 82 16 31 47
2010-11 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 73 24 44 68

versus

Tavares:
2009-10 New York Islanders NHL 82 24 30 54
2010-11 New York Islanders NHL 72 27 34 61

Not trying to be mean but what the **** are you going on about? Giroux is on a more stacked team but so what. Plenty of players played well on **** teams, in fact played better, because they were the only guy on their team practically who could do anything and were put on the 1st line as a result.

The stats are what they are, saying Tavares > Giroux == have you watched Giroux play even once????

I'm not saying he's better, but stop being such a homer. They're very comparable players statistically and both are solid.

Here's the other guy you claim is > Giroux:

2010-11 Edmonton Oilers NHL 65 22 20 42

Your words were "not in the same league" and I have to say, you're quite wrong.

I'm a homer too but come on. Do you even know the player you're discussing when you make ******** comments like this?

What we need to do is make a poll thread. First thread will decide the most important player and allow several choices. Crosby will no doubt come first. (All stats included in thread of each player over the last 5 years, their cap hit, length of contract, age etc)

Then people vote. Crosby wins, lock thread, make a second poll. Second guy after Crosby, and so on.

Then you update the main thread with:

1) Crosby
2) Stamkos
etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9 View Post
Some people are misunderstanding how the list works. I've been reading Simmons doing these for years, and its fairly simple.

For example, Taylor Hall should be higher than Datsyuk. If Detroit offered Datsyuk for Hall this off-season, Edmonton would say no immediately. If Edmonton offered Hall for Datsyuk, Detroit management would at least get together and talk about it.

It's not an exact science, because teams are in different situations.. But that's the main premise.
Fair enough but with Giroux vs Hall/Tavares I bet you neither team does the deal, being that they're all young and put up similar numbers. And it isn't like one is mainly a playmaker or this or that, they're all good at making plays and at scoring. With Taylor Hall maybe you'd gamble it's his first season so, he could potentially one day turn out to be a 100pt guy, he was a 1st overall pick and just look at Stamkos' first season.

With a guy like Tavares he has room to improve but you know what you're getting, Duchene similar but maybe a bit less.

Last edited by neofury*: 03-25-2011 at 11:11 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:07 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quezzle E View Post
my list

Ovechkin
Crosby
Stamkos
D Sedin
H Sedin
Toews
Doughty
Parise
Perry
Malkin
Backstrom
Kopitar
Richards
Weber
Getzlaf
Kesler
E Stall
Nash
Tavares
Ryan

Iginla
Yandle
Zetteberg
Myers
Kane
Hall
Duchene
Datsyuk
Giroux
Seguin
Where is Price?

Trade value of a 23 years old with a 2.75 Cap hit must be higher than some of those guys.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

We're severely lacking some Kessel and James Reimer. These guys are easily top-30 in skill and top-20 in trade value. I wouldn't trade either of them unless we're getting a star player in return.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Injury Prone Stastny
Can't Trade Me!

I like the idea, and the list is not bad.

For all of you guys saying Duchene, Hall, JT, you must not forget that they are still in rookie contracts so they would pretty much be void for this topic until we see what kind of cap hit they will have once the original contract is up.

Injury Prone Stastny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:47 AM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
LOL really? Cause he's proven an awful lot already.

Giroux:
2008-09 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 42 9 18 27
2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 82 16 31 47
2010-11 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 73 24 44 68

versus

Tavares:
2009-10 New York Islanders NHL 82 24 30 54
2010-11 New York Islanders NHL 72 27 34 61

Not trying to be mean but what the **** are you going on about? Giroux is on a more stacked team but so what. Plenty of players played well on **** teams, in fact played better, because they were the only guy on their team practically who could do anything and were put on the 1st line as a result.

The stats are what they are, saying Tavares > Giroux == have you watched Giroux play even once????

I'm not saying he's better, but stop being such a homer. They're very comparable players statistically and both are solid.

Here's the other guy you claim is > Giroux:

2010-11 Edmonton Oilers NHL 65 22 20 42

Your words were "not in the same league" and I have to say, you're quite wrong.

I'm a homer too but come on. Do you even know the player you're discussing when you make ******** comments like this?

What we need to do is make a poll thread. First thread will decide the most important player and allow several choices. Crosby will no doubt come first. (All stats included in thread of each player over the last 5 years, their cap hit, length of contract, age etc)

Then people vote. Crosby wins, lock thread, make a second poll. Second guy after Crosby, and so on.

Then you update the main thread with:

1) Crosby
2) Stamkos
etc...

Fair enough but with Giroux vs Hall/Tavares I bet you neither team does the deal, being that they're all young and put up similar numbers. And it isn't like one is mainly a playmaker or this or that, they're all good at making plays and at scoring. With Taylor Hall maybe you'd gamble it's his first season so, he could potentially one day turn out to be a 100pt guy, he was a 1st overall pick and just look at Stamkos' first season.

With a guy like Tavares he has room to improve but you know what you're getting, Duchene similar but maybe a bit less.
I think Edmonton doesn't even think about Giroux for Hall, but Philly would at least be listening if Hall was offered straight up for Giroux. Hall should be higher, taking nothing away from Giroux who should be quite high as well.

Old
03-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Flamesjustwin

vCash: 463
As soon as I saw Corey Perry ranked ahead of Malkin in the OP this thread lost any credit.

Flamesjustwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:31 PM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesjustwin View Post
As soon as I saw Corey Perry ranked ahead of Malkin in the OP this thread lost any credit.
I think a lot of people would have Perry ahead.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:38 PM
AmazingNuck

Would you guys rather win a cup in the next 5 years or the 5 years after that? Hell, there isn't even a guarantee that these players will re-sign after their contract is up. It is likely but it has to be factored in.

The fact that teams would rather make the playoffs for the next 3 years than the 3 years after that (while still having a chance to) is being overlooked. As an owner, do you tank and lose profits or do you pressure your gm to make moves to make the playoffs and earn revenue? As a GM do you tank and risk your job or attempt to make the playoffs because I'm betting if a GM is brought in to make the playoffs, he will be fired for a GM that is hired to rebuild.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:39 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet View Post
I think Datsyuk should be farther up as well. But he is getting old as the OP said

15 years of couture, or 7 of datsyuk?
For Couture though, the question becomes 15 years of what? He's had one season. Its hardly enough to justify placing his trade value above Datsyuk.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote