HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '11 – Slovakia

Old
04-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Maďarsko and Taliánsko I can see...

Maďarsko is not soooo far away from Magyár...

Taliánsko not sooo far away from Italia.

Nemecko... Does the hungarian-slovakian names that are close to that have anything to do with germanic tribes?
Probably they do:
Nemec (in English - German, in Latin - Diutisc or Theodisk) was name of the Eastern-Frankish Empire's inhabitants. In German language is this word known from 10 century. Previously labeled non-Romanesque population of the Frankish Empire and the name originally meant "the people".

http://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemci

Last edited by Krotak: 04-09-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Krotak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:04 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotak View Post
Probably they do:
Nemec (in English - German, in Latin - Diutisc alebo Theodisk) was name of the inhabitants of the Eastern-Frankish Empire. In German language is this word known from 10 century. Previously labeled non-Romanesque population of the Frankish Empire and the name originally meant "the people".

http://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemci
Nice!

Hungarian Neméth is probably from the same word?

It would be interesting to see where Rakúsko comes from as well.. I'll have to google a bit Thanks for the help.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Quote:
Nice!

Hungarian Neméth is probably from the same word?

It would be interesting to see where Rakúsko comes from as well.. I'll have to google a bit Thanks for the help.
Yes, Neméth probably comes from the same word.

and... you're welcome

Last edited by Krotak: 04-09-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old
04-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Quote:
Nation of Rakúšania - Austrians (inhabitants of Rakúsko - Austria) was creating already from 6th century. In the year 863 Eastern mark country (Austria - the same meaning as in German - Österreich) was separated from Carinthia mark. Then in 14th century Carinthia was connected to Austria.

marks - countries of the Frankish Empire

So, Rakúsko = Österreich = Austria = Eastern empire (country)

http://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakúšania

Old
04-09-2011, 02:34 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotak View Post
Nation of Rakúšania - Austrians (inhabitants of Rakúsko - Austria) was creating already from 6th century. In the year 863 Eastern mark country (Austria - the same meaning as in German - Österreich) was separated from Carinthia mark. Then in 14th century Carinthia was connected to Austria.

marks - countries of the Frankish Empire

So, Rakúsko = Österreich = Austria = Eastern empire (country)

http://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakúšania
Just a guess.. Can the historic region of Carinthia somehow be Kärnten?

Old
04-10-2011, 02:06 AM
slovakiasnextone

Rastislav Dej and Juraj Cebák left the team after the two games against Austria. Marek Svatoš won´t play at the IHWC due to an injury.

By Monday the team should be joined by Richard Zedník, Jozef Stumpel and Vladimír Dravecký. It´s unclear when Ľuboš Bartečko and Ladislav Nagy will join the team.

Btw Taliánsko? Since when?

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:24 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Rastislav Dej and Juraj Cebák left the team after the two games against Austria. Marek Svatoš won´t play at the IHWC due to an injury.

By Monday the team should be joined by Richard Zedník, Jozef Stumpel and Vladimír Dravecký. It´s unclear when Ľuboš Bartečko and Ladislav Nagy will join the team.

Btw Taliánsko? Since when?
Sucks that Svatos can't play because he was actually playing well with Ottawa. Definately a replacable piece though.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:55 PM
slovakiasnextone

Also goalie Július Hudáček from Košice will join the team this week.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:33 PM
chasespace

Will Richard Panik(Tampa Bay prospect) make the team? I've been hearing that he's been playing with the team in exhibition games. Tryout or place holder until NHL-ers come over?

chasespace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:49 AM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

On a similar note as Panik, does Tatar have a shot?

Was he invited? He was listed as a Black Ace for Detroit's playoff run, but I feel they would let him play if he wanted to go.

Last edited by kuick: 04-11-2011 at 03:45 PM.
kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:42 AM
ThrashersfanSVK
@Jakub_Homola

Quote:
Rakusko o.O where does that name has it's origin?
And where does Ruotsi has its origin?

ThrashersfanSVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:44 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashersfanSVK View Post
And where does Ruotsi has its origin?
Rus, Rospigs. From Roslagen, Uppland in Sweden.

Old
04-12-2011, 03:17 AM
jcbio11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatar Sauce View Post
On a similar note as Panik, does Tatar have a shot?

Was he invited? He was listed as a Black Ace for Detroit's playoff run, but I feel they would let him play if he wanted to go.
No Tatar. Doesn't fit into the concept of the team, says general manager Peter Bondra.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:18 AM
lukkas

Tomáš Tatar will not play on WC. According to Bondra he doesn't fit in Hanlon's conception. Very poor decision in my opinion. He's had great year and I think he could really help the team.

lukkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:48 AM
Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
Will Richard Panik(Tampa Bay prospect) make the team? I've been hearing that he's been playing with the team in exhibition games. Tryout or place holder until NHL-ers come over?
Personally I hope he will make the team, we should have atleast one youngster on that team. However in the matches with Austria he didn't get very much icetime and made some bad plays, so I have a feeling he is there only as a temp.

Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:53 AM
slovakiasnextone

What exactly is our team conception? Because when I look at it, it seems that the conception is you gotta be at least 25 years of age to make it. Are we really in a position when we can allow ourselves not to give a chance to one of the few good young forwards we have?

As for Pánik, I´m really worried that he won´t be with the team for too long either, he was pretty bad in the first two periods of game 1, but we can´t judge him based on that, after all he didn´t have much time to aclimate himself and he showed some flashes in the 3rd. In the 2nd game from what I´ve seen there, he didn´t get on ice too much and while there might have been some blenders he did show some nice moments and he wasn´t that worse than many of the other older players.

In a similar fashion I´m worried also about Záborský, because while I thought he played real good and fought hard it seems that Hanlon just won´t give him better linemates that he is in dire need of. I guess he will be kicked out with the he´s a player for top 6 no room there for him anymore excuse. I guess the explanation for Tatar would be pretty similar.....

Old
04-12-2011, 08:22 AM
slovakiasnextone

And we have one more questionable decision today from Hanlon as it has been decided that Budaj won´t travel to the IHWC and that Ján Lašák will be the No.2.....

Old
04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
begbeee

I like the decision to not call Budaj. He had really weak season.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:08 AM
mattihp

Quote:
And we have one more questionable decision today from Hanlon as it has been decided that Budaj won´t travel to the IHWC and that Ján Lašák will be the No.2.....
Ján Lašák is close to a legendary World champs goalie. Not a bad choice.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:31 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Ján Lašák is close to a legendary World champs goalie. Not a bad choice.
I´m not really saying that I don´t agree with that decision, but I found it surprising as Hanlon had been saying that the No.2 wasn´t clear at all and that we´d wait and see, but none of the other contenders that he mentioned got a shot to play in any of the preparation games. Also, he mentioned something along the lines that he chose Lašák because of Gotteborg 2002, weird to explain a decision based on a tourney that happened almost 10 years ago.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:44 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
What exactly is our team conception? Because when I look at it, it seems that the conception is you gotta be at least 25 years of age to make it. Are we really in a position when we can allow ourselves not to give a chance to one of the few good young forwards we have?
I'm curious as well. Hanlon was the coach last year IIRC and Tatar was on the team. Only 2 goals in 6 games but he's young and only getting better. Slovakia's forward group does look stronger than the last year but Tatar and Panik both should have spots. What makes this year different than the last? What is this so called 'team conception' that Bondra and Hanlon have?

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:48 PM
jcbio11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatar Sauce View Post
I'm curious as well. Hanlon was the coach last year IIRC and Tatar was on the team. Only 2 goals in 6 games but he's young and only getting better. Slovakia's forward group does look stronger than the last year but Tatar and Panik both should have spots. What makes this year different than the last? What is this so called 'team conception' that Bondra and Hanlon have?
I say it's a case of them having enough experienced forward crops because the championships are at home -> everyone wants to play. Can't say that I agree with the decision not to take Tatar though. Both him and the team would benefit if even he just played on the fourth line.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:54 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
I say it's a case of them having enough experienced forward crops because the championships are at home -> everyone wants to play. Can't say that I agree with the decision not to take Tatar though. Both him and the team would benefit if even he just played on the fourth line.
Yeah, but you can only have so much experienced guys on a well baanced team......there are some guys who will probably make the final roster based on their name and experience while they might not even be good enough for the IHWC level anymore no matter how hard they try...

I guess we will have to few more years until there is someone who will have the balls to finally do a generation change like Šupler did in the 90´s before Lilehammer. I know the conditions are very different, but.....

Old
04-12-2011, 02:23 PM
gaborikowns

I dont have a problem with leaving Tatar off the team. Guys like Bartecko/Cibak/Radivojevic will be just fine on the fourth line. Once Gaborik, Hossa, Kopecky, and Handzus join the team after the first round (hopefully!) this team will take shape and be pretty solid throughout.

Also love that Lasak will be the number 2 goalie, he deserves it after the great performances against Switzerland and Austria in exhibition games. Budaj was horrible again this year and will soon be looking for work outside the NHL.

gaborikowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Martin Marincin?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote