HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '11 – Slovakia

Old
04-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Zedník´s back....
I don't think it's a such bad info. This move can create great team spirit for WHC.

OK, but from now I expect from Zedník things like this doing every game :

Krotak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Lets not forget this one..

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 06:34 AM
Juzmo
late april

vCash: 690
Too bad that Zaborsky got cut out of the roster, since I read that he did pretty well in the practice games.

Juzmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:10 AM
smitty10

With the NHL playoffs underway, it's starting to look like almost all of the best Slovak NHLers will be eliminated and eligible to play in the WC.

As of now it seems that Chara, Gaborik, Hossa, Kopecky and one of Meszaros/Sekera will also be available. It's entirely possible that Handzus and Visnovsky could be available as well. This looks great for Slovakia, especially considering they're hosting and already have their top goalie in Halak and a very good backup in Budaj available. Any word on Svatos and Jurcina and whether or not they'll be there?

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:18 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Too bad that Zaborsky got cut out of the roster, since I read that he did pretty well in the practice games.
Yeah, sucks for him, but I´m sure he should have no problem making the team next year when noone is interested in playing at the IHWC again. (if Záborský himself is still interested after being cut these last two years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
With the NHL playoffs underway, it's starting to look like almost all of the best Slovak NHLers will be eliminated and eligible to play in the WC.

As of now it seems that Chara, Gaborik, Hossa, Kopecky and one of Meszaros/Sekera will also be available. It's entirely possible that Handzus and Visnovsky could be available as well. This looks great for Slovakia, especially considering they're hosting and already have their top goalie in Halak and a very good backup in Budaj available. Any word on Svatos and Jurcina and whether or not they'll be there?
It´s still to early to tell. Budaj wasn´t even invited (he originally was mentioned, but it was never clear that he´d be the No.2), Lašák was handed the No.2 job. Jurčina is joining the team on Monday. Svatoš is injured and out for the tourney.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:27 AM
smitty10

Quote:
It´s still to early to tell. Budaj wasn´t even invited (he originally was mentioned, but it was never clear that he´d be the No.2), Lašák was handed the No.2 job. Jurčina is joining the team on Monday. Svatoš is injured and out for the tourney.
That's odd that Budaj wasn't invited. If that is the same Lasak that played for the Preds years back then that is a terrible selection. Budaj should definately be back up. Heck, he was starter in the last WC and played great. Weird..

I thought that Svatos would be out because he got injured in a game against the Leafs. It's unfortunate, but he wouldn't have been a huge difference maker on Slovakia, just depth.

Old
04-17-2011, 10:36 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
That's odd that Budaj wasn't invited. If that is the same Lasak that played for the Preds years back then that is a terrible selection. Budaj should definately be back up. Heck, he was starter in the last WC and played great. Weird..

I thought that Svatos would be out because he got injured in a game against the Leafs. It's unfortunate, but he wouldn't have been a huge difference maker on Slovakia, just depth.
Really, why? Lašák has been very good for the NT for lots of years and he had a great season in Finland. While Budaj has put already a few weak season together. I really don ´t think it matters that much, I hope Halák won´t let his No.2 in net much. But it´s as Hanlon said- originally when he said Budaj would be the No.2 everyon was saying that Lašák should have been there, because he had the better season and then when Hanlon chose Lašák instead of Budaj, everyone wanted it the other way around. I´m really not a fan of the whole "hey, this guys´s in the NHL, he should be a lock for the NT" argument or comaring it to the other "European" choice of player with his past accomplishments in the same league.

Old
04-17-2011, 11:19 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Really, why? Lašák has been very good for the NT for lots of years and he had a great season in Finland. While Budaj has put already a few weak season together. I really don ´t think it matters that much, I hope Halák won´t let his No.2 in net much. But it´s as Hanlon said- originally when he said Budaj would be the No.2 everyon was saying that Lašák should have been there, because he had the better season and then when Hanlon chose Lašák instead of Budaj, everyone wanted it the other way around. I´m really not a fan of the whole "hey, this guys´s in the NHL, he should be a lock for the NT" argument or comaring it to the other "European" choice of player with his past accomplishments in the same league.
Well, from what I remember from Lasak, he was terrible in the NHL. Budaj has put together quite a successful career and got into 45 games this year for the Avs. I think that there are some very good players in Europe, especially the KHL and Elitserien, but the NHL is the best league in the world and outside of enforcers, most of these guys are the best players in the world. Of course there are the replaceable depth players and back ups (Budaj's case), but for the most part these guys are and should be a lock for most national teams.

Old
04-17-2011, 11:29 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Well, from what I remember from Lasak, he was terrible in the NHL. Budaj has put together quite a successful career and got into 45 games this year for the Avs. I think that there are some very good players in Europe, especially the KHL and Elitserien, but the NHL is the best league in the world and outside of enforcers, most of these guys are the best players in the world. Of course there are the replaceable depth players and back ups (Budaj's case), but for the most part these guys are and should be a lock for most national teams.
Lašák played like what 4 games with the Predators, that´s a really great sample to evaluate a player..... IMO I believe that I knwo him much better than you do having watched him play for Slovakia in goal for the past 10 years on a pretty regular basis, so I really don´t care how bad he played for some NHL team long years ago.....

With all respect that is not an opinion I agree with, I have seen fringe NHL players to be very weak in the NT way too many times. Also the advantage for the maybe "lesser" but European players have the advantage of playing all the exhibition games prior to the WC and it´s possible to evaluate their game, which is impossible with NHL players when they comme in one/two games before the WC as big stars even in cases when the´re really not. Not even speaking about all the tournaments and games during the season and Lašák has made a case for himself already in february at Slovakia Cup.

Budaj´s career has been going pretty down hill for this past few years, letting in soft goals etc. Anyway, this No.2 goalie position was one that I really never cared about. I don´t disagree with Budaj not being on the team and I wouldn´t disagree with him being there. For all I know they could name Hudáček the back-up and I don´t think it would have been a bad decision.

However Hanlon has a pretty strong argument in Lašák´s favour this year with the season he had and with his NT experience (which makes Budaj´s shade in comparison). Trust me I´d never been too high on Lašák- I´ve been pretty vocal about not wanting him on the NT last year, when he performed poorly, but there´s nothing terrible about appointing him the No.2 this year. Well, they could have handled Budaj differently as even Hanlon himself has said they should have.

Old
04-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

I don't want to start counting my chickens before they hatch..but..

''One guy I do like, well, it’s two guys, but it’s really the same guy are the Slovaks: Tomas Kopecky and Marian Hossa. Dr. Evil and Mini-Me. Two of the same people. Wherever Hoss is, Kopy is right there doing it.'' -Patrick Sharp

Last edited by Harv: 04-17-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: removed image - profanity
Old
04-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Old
04-18-2011, 12:40 AM
1967cougar

Looks like we're one game away from Hossa joining the team next week. Gotta love the pride of Stara Lubovna!

1967cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:52 AM
1967cougar

Quote:
Lašák played like what 4 games with the Predators, that´s a really great sample to evaluate a player..... IMO I believe that I knwo him much better than you do having watched him play for Slovakia in goal for the past 10 years on a pretty regular basis, so I really don´t care how bad he played for some NHL team long years ago.....

With all respect that is not an opinion I agree with, I have seen fringe NHL players to be very weak in the NT way too many times. Also the advantage for the maybe "lesser" but European players have the advantage of playing all the exhibition games prior to the WC and it´s possible to evaluate their game, which is impossible with NHL players when they comme in one/two games before the WC as big stars even in cases when the´re really not. Not even speaking about all the tournaments and games during the season and Lašák has made a case for himself already in february at Slovakia Cup.

Budaj´s career has been going pretty down hill for this past few years, letting in soft goals etc. Anyway, this No.2 goalie position was one that I really never cared about. I don´t disagree with Budaj not being on the team and I wouldn´t disagree with him being there. For all I know they could name Hudáček the back-up and I don´t think it would have been a bad decision.

However Hanlon has a pretty strong argument in Lašák´s favour this year with the season he had and with his NT experience (which makes Budaj´s shade in comparison). Trust me I´d never been too high on Lašák- I´ve been pretty vocal about not wanting him on the NT last year, when he performed poorly, but there´s nothing terrible about appointing him the No.2 this year. Well, they could have handled Budaj differently as even Hanlon himself has said they should have.
Hanlon is going to be in lose-lose scenario with the #2 goal. Halak could settle the argument and leave no room for a backup. Of course if you didnt realize, Hanlon was a goalie for the Rangers, so maybe he can strap on the pads as well.

Old
04-18-2011, 12:58 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Yeah, sucks for him, but I´m sure he should have no problem making the team next year when noone is interested in playing at the IHWC again. (if Záborský himself is still interested after being cut these last two years)
So he´s not interested in playing under Hanlon anymore, not because he was cut, but because why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967cougar View Post
Hanlon is going to be in lose-lose scenario with the #2 goal. Halak could settle the argument and leave no room for a backup. Of course if you didnt realize, Hanlon was a goalie for the Rangers, so maybe he can strap on the pads as well.
Ad Filc will be the back-up?

Old
04-18-2011, 06:11 AM
begbeee

Quote:

This.

I hope Halak will be clear #1 and will not give #2 a chance to play in more than 1 game. Actually this make a huge argument for Lasak over Budaj, too - Lasak on the bench or in the room is much more useful than Budaj.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Juzmo
late april

Quote:
From another poster on another hockey forum wrote that in an interview Zaborsky basically said that in the future he will not play for a national team that is coached by Glen Hanlon.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:52 PM
begbeee

Is every slovak hockey player smarter than his coach or is it only my feeling?
Because everyone who failed at making team blame coach for not recognizing his stellar performance and potential.

Old
04-18-2011, 02:03 PM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotak View Post
I don't think it's a such bad info. This move can create great team spirit for WHC.

OK, but from now I expect from Zedník things like this doing every game :

That is actually everything what Zednik can do. He is one-trick-pony. He take a pass on the blueline and then skates with stick in one hand behind the net where he lose the puck.

Old
04-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Juzmo
late april

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Is every slovak hockey player smarter than his coach or is it only my feeling?
Because everyone who failed at making team blame coach for not recognizing his stellar performance and potential.
Well after so many players complaining there has to be something with the coach also. No idea.

Old
04-18-2011, 02:43 PM
begbeee

Glen Hanlon seems to be a good coach. Cant blame him for his previous work, he did a lot great things with mediocre Belarus.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:09 PM
1967cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
From another poster on another hockey forum wrote that in an interview Zaborsky basically said that in the future he will not play for a national team that is coached by Glen Hanlon.
thats exactly what we don't need to hear going into the tournament . Sometimes players need to leave their opinions inside their head, or at very least inside the locker room and not throw their coach under the bus so publicly.

Last edited by 1967cougar: 04-20-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old
04-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

HoKo still in it. 7-2 win over Van.

Old
04-20-2011, 01:06 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
HoKo still in it. 7-2 win over Van.
Kopecky is injured.

Old
04-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Kopecky is injured.
Day to Day. I'm not worried.

Old
04-21-2011, 08:09 AM
1967cougar

Gaborik / Hossa may be on their way sooner than later!

Looks like Gaborik and Hossa are on their way in a few days. Though Gaborik just didnt look too involved in most of the game yesterday even though he scored a tap in goal. He didnt seem to join the play when it went back to the Rangers side of ice. Wonder if the sore knee injury rumors are actually true.