HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How many goalies can you name that are better than Hasek today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2004, 09:09 PM
  #1
PapaBear*
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,063
vCash: 500
How many goalies can you name that are better than Hasek today

Heres mine. Random order.

1. Brodeur
2. Luongo
3. Khabibulin
4. Theodore
5. Legace
6. belfour
7. vokoun

PapaBear* is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 09:11 PM
  #2
DaveyCrockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Career wise? I would argue that only Roy comes close to Hasek in terms of dominance. Roy had a longer career but during Hasek's shorter career he owned the league. Seriously, how can you justify ranking a career backup in the top-5?

DaveyCrockett is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 09:13 PM
  #3
PapaBear*
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,063
vCash: 500
not career wise but who is better today. More healthy, good value, age, potential, etc.

PapaBear* is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 09:16 PM
  #4
DaveyCrockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Trying to rank Hasek's value right now is damn near impossible as we haven't seen Hasek actually play for a few years. Vokoun and Legace do not belong on that list. Vokoun is a good starter but he isn't an elite netminder by any standard.

DaveyCrockett is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 09:17 PM
  #5
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 9,790
vCash: 100
Legace as #5... are you serious?

Legace isn't even the 5th best goalie in his division.

Moskau is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 09:20 PM
  #6
nordique
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Brodeur
Belfour
Turco
Khabibulin
Nabokov
Luongo
Vokoun
Theodore
Giguere
Kolzig

Maybes: Kiprusoff, Roloson, Raycroft, Thibault, *Lalime*, *Joseph*

 
Old
07-06-2004, 09:26 PM
  #7
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
Brodeur
Belfour
Turco
Khabibulin
Nabokov
Luongo
Vokoun
Theodore
Giguere
Kolzig

Maybes: Kiprusoff, Roloson, Raycroft, Thibault, *Lalime*, *Joseph*
I'd have to agree with that list. Saves me the bother of making my own.

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 09:31 PM
  #8
PapaBear*
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau
Legace as #5... are you serious?

Legace isn't even the 5th best goalie in his division.
i said my is random

PapaBear* is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 09:32 PM
  #9
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 9,790
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
i said my is random
Still doesn't matter.

Moskau is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 09:38 PM
  #10
Grave77digger
Registered User
 
Grave77digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 500
legace carried detroit when joseph and hasek were hurt

Grave77digger is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 11:10 PM
  #11
Chaos
3, 2, 1
 
Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Brodeur
Turco
Belfour
Luongo
Theodore
Khabibulin
Roloson
Nabokov
Giguere

Just off the top of my head.

Chaos is offline  
Old
07-06-2004, 11:19 PM
  #12
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,659
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
Heres mine. Random order.

1. Brodeur
2. Luongo
3. Khabibulin
4. Theodore
5. Legace
6. belfour
7. vokoun

Amen, Hasek should have quit when he was ahead., and yes- Vokoun does belong on the list, as does Legace.

jstreet is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 12:47 AM
  #13
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,597
vCash: 500
i love legace too, but untill he is a no 1 goalie all by own self and a team paying him to be that guy...he doesnt belong on that list just because he isnt a starter yet. i think you cant says hes better than a hall of famer when legace is a backup, even with his outstanding fillin this season. hasek is a bit of an unknown at this point, but he is still outstanding until proven otherwise.

bleedgreen is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 01:01 AM
  #14
Gibsons Finest
Beast
 
Gibsons Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saskatoon/Brandon
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave77digger
legace carried detroit when joseph and hasek were hurt
And Joseph carried the team when Legace proved he can't lead a team in the playoffs.

As for my list, I'll have to go with my top 10:

Luongo
Brodeur
Khabibulin
Theodore
Belfour
Turco
Nabokov
Giguere
Roloson
Vokoun

And after looking at other lists, something like this tends to be the concenus choice.

Gibsons Finest is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 01:03 AM
  #15
Habs4Life
Registered User
 
Habs4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
Heres mine. Random order.

1. Brodeur
2. Luongo
3. Khabibulin
4. Theodore
5. Legace
6. belfour
7. vokoun
Do you work for ESPN? Come on pal.. This list is terrible! Hasek would be at least 3rd on that list..

Habs4Life is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 01:05 AM
  #16
shveik
Registered User
 
shveik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,844
vCash: 500
Hasek at 80% of his ability would be the best goalie in the game today. Of course after 2 year layoff nobody can say what level he can play at. Which brings up an interesting question: what is the point of this thread?

shveik is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 01:06 AM
  #17
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,597
vCash: 500
i dont think roloson and giguere are better than hasek yet. giguere had a great season, and hasnt folllowed it up yet. i think he is capable, but he hasnt done it yet. i just dont think roloson is betterthan hasek. hasek has to show me he truly has one foot out the door before i can name ten other guys that are without a doubt better than him right now.
luongo
broduer
belfour
nabakov
those are the only guys im sure are better than him right now. its not that im knocking the others, i just dont think dom is as far gone as the rest of you do.

bleedgreen is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 01:37 AM
  #18
Gibsons Finest
Beast
 
Gibsons Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saskatoon/Brandon
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
i dont think roloson and giguere are better than hasek yet. had a great season, and hasnt folllowed it up yet. i think he is capable, but he hasnt done it yet. i just dont think roloson is betterthan hasek. hasek has to show me he truly has one foot out the door before i can name ten other guys that are without a doubt better than him right now.
luongo
broduer
belfour
nabakov
those are the only guys im sure are better than him right now. its not that im knocking the others, i just dont think dom is as far gone as the rest of you do.
Rolie and Giguere are better than Hasek. I figured Rollie proved to people last year that he was a top goalie, but I guess I was wrong. Giguere, OTOH, has had a few very good years in Anaheim, and one bad(coincidentally, the only full season anyone remembers ). Actually, in 2002, I do believe Giguere's GAA was better than the Dominator's. Also, remember that Jiggy played for a very, very crappy Ducks team, while Dom played on the Stanley Cup championship team.

Gibsons Finest is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 02:27 AM
  #19
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
Rolie and Giguere are better than Hasek. I figured Rollie proved to people last year that he was a top goalie, but I guess I was wrong. Giguere, OTOH, has had a few very good years in Anaheim, and one bad(coincidentally, the only full season anyone remembers ). Actually, in 2002, I do believe Giguere's GAA was better than the Dominator's. Also, remember that Jiggy played for a very, very crappy Ducks team, while Dom played on the Stanley Cup championship team.
i remember all of gigueres years - check the avatar. always followed him and still like him - one cup run and a couple of solid seasons followed by a big downer doesnt make you better than argueably one of the all time best goalies ever. he needs to prove the cup run wasnt a fluke, i don tthink it was - but he hasnt proven it yet. ditto rollie - yeah he played really well, but better than hasek? im not saying he isnt a top goalie, but better than hasek? we wont know until hasek plays, which is why i struggle with your confidence on the matter. how do we know how good hasek is? arent you making some assumptions based on limited knowledge? as far as hasek playing on a stacked team and jiggy carrying the ducks.....didnt hasek play for another team once ?

bleedgreen is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 02:35 AM
  #20
Gibsons Finest
Beast
 
Gibsons Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saskatoon/Brandon
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
i remember all of gigueres years - check the avatar. always followed him and still like him - one cup run and a couple of solid seasons followed by a big downer doesnt make you better than argueably one of the all time best goalies ever. he needs to prove the cup run wasnt a fluke, i don tthink it was - but he hasnt proven it yet. ditto rollie - yeah he played really well, but better than hasek? im not saying he isnt a top goalie, but better than hasek? we wont know until hasek plays, which is why i struggle with your confidence on the matter. how do we know how good hasek is? arent you making some assumptions based on limited knowledge? as far as hasek playing on a stacked team and jiggy carrying the ducks.....didnt hasek play for another team once ?
True, but the Dominator on the Sens most likely is not the Dominator of the Buffalo glory years. I'm assuming his skill has deteriorated a bit, but he's still pretty good. From what I saw last year, he wasn't half bad. I think he's good, but his play has fell behind that of Giguere and Roloson. Vokoun is the wildcard on my list.

Gibsons Finest is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 06:13 AM
  #21
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
hasek is too old...

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 06:39 AM
  #22
bert2nazzy
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Richmond BC
Posts: 433
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to bert2nazzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsfan09
Brodeur
Turco
Belfour
Luongo
Theodore
Khabibulin
Roloson
Nabokov
Giguere

Just off the top of my head.
agreed

lets see how hasek plays next season (when ever that is)

bert2nazzy is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 07:42 AM
  #23
TwineSniper
Registered User
 
TwineSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
From the limited time I saw him play last year, I believe that he struggled to break into the middle of the pack, not only performance wise, but stat-wise as well. He still has the unorthodox style, but with him being 40, he is a beat behind. Injury or not.

IMO, Senators took a step backward with this signing. I might've gone with Weekes ahead of Hasek.

TwineSniper is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 07:47 AM
  #24
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 6,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Franchise
From the limited time I saw him play last year, I believe that he struggled to break into the middle of the pack, not only performance wise, but stat-wise as well. He still has the unorthodox style, but with him being 40, he is a beat behind. Injury or not.

IMO, Senators took a step backward with this signing. I might've gone with Weekes ahead of Hasek.
Hasek looked pretty human with the Dead Wings as far back as their cup year.

ginner classic is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:47 AM
  #25
Dream of Janney
Shorty Longback
 
Dream of Janney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau
Still doesn't matter.


Anyway, this thread is useless. No one knows the level that Hasek can play at, its been too long. He's been injured and even before then he wasn't preforming nearly as well as he did in his days with the Sabres. I'm interested to see what he can do now, and maybe I'll tell you goalies who are better then, but right now no one can really say for sure.

Dream of Janney is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.