HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke says we need to get bigger

Old
03-24-2011, 08:49 PM
leafsrule123

vCash: 500
Burke says we need to get bigger

I saw the interview with him on Sportsnet.

He said his top priority is to get much bigger on our forwards.

And he said also to address the #1 Centre posistion.

Who would we get to get bigger? Will they have skill?

leafsrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:52 PM
PasDaSquini

nothing new

PasDaSquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:52 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Doesn't necessarily mean it will be one player that satisfies both needs. Maybe someone like a Stephen Weiss to play with Kessel until Colborne or Kadri are ready, and then maybe Laich to add some size.

Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur
Laich-Weiss-Kessel
Lupul-Bozak-Armstrong
Brown-Brent/Hanson-Orr

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:53 PM
FrozenJagrt

Step 1: Acquire Zdeno Chara
Step 2: Convert him to forward
Step 3: Plan the parade
Step 4: Wake up

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Finnish your Czech
leafs are in the pla

vCash: 50
We need a #1 center?!?!?

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Pi

Yeah we need guys to go to the front of the net. We need some ugly goals to go along with the others.

No one in our team effectively drives to the net and irritates a goalie. You need guys like that if you want to beat goalies like Lundqvist, Roloson, Miller etc.

Pretty sure he wants to get bigger in that sense.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:55 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
We need a #1 center?!?!?
Nahh, we need a number two. Grabo is a number one atm

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Step 1: Acquire Zdeno Chara
Step 2: Convert him to forward
Step 3: Plan the parade
Step 4: Wake up
That's a good plan. I say we get him to center Kessel and Lupul. I just hate how the Senators have done a world of good to other teams..Heatley ofcourse wanted out, Hossa, Chara, Havlat.. and they kept Spezza

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:00 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah we need guys to go to the front of the net. We need some ugly goals to go along with the others.

No one in our team effectively drives to the net and irritates a goalie. You need guys like that if you want to beat goalies like Lundqvist, Roloson, Miller etc.

Pretty sure he wants to get bigger in that sense.
Exactly. Just because a player is big, it doesn't mean he's willing to go to the dirty areas or use his size effectively. We need net presence, and as long as a player is wililng (and able) to provide this, I don't care if he's 5'6" or 6'9".

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Stephen

Throwing some names out there:

Maybe Lecavalier: Maybe the Stamkos contract situation causes a pressure point that would make a Vinny salary dump to Toronto remotely feasible, but I would tend to think this won't happen since his contract is simply too long.

Or maybe it's just a Ryan Malone salary dump, though I don't want to see the Leafs have too many spots taken up with ugly salaries.

Maybe he picks off something from San Jose if they're a bust in the playoffs. They've been hit and miss this year, and I'm wondering if their time as a contender is almost closing with new teams climbing the standings. Maybe they pick off a Clowe, or maybe a bigger name.

Jordan Staal? Maybe if Pittsburgh decides they don't have enough winger depth (James Neal has been a bust) they'll want to permanently shift some of their money towards a higher profile winger? With Crosby and Malkin back to full health next year maybe they wouldn't mind having Kessel riding shotgun in exchange for a Jordan Staal? OR, more unrealistically, Evgeni Malkin? I've heard some Pens fans suggest that trading Malkin for a king's ransom and keeping Jordan Staal in a clear number 2 role would be more beneficial. I don't think it's a good fit for the Leafs since we have nothing to give them, but whatever.

Or maybe it's just a James Neal type who has been a flop in Pittsburgh and we get him when his value is low.

Nathan Horton? I hate the guy, but we always seem to cook something up with Boston. If their playoff drive falls short, maybe they're in for some adjustments.

Dustin Penner? Anthony Stewart? Gilbert Brule (not big but plays big and doesn't look like he has a future in Edmonton). Guillaume Latendresse?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Jake Gardiner
He's everywhere!

Because that is the first time i heard that from him.

Jake Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:07 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

I wonder if that means he is going to move out a couple of the current forwards (Mac, Grabo) and bring in a couple of bigger guys?

Glad to see him address the number one center need.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:09 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Throwing some names out there:

Maybe Lecavalier: Maybe the Stamkos contract situation causes a pressure point that would make a Vinny salary dump to Toronto remotely feasible, but I would tend to think this won't happen since his contract is simply too long.

Or maybe it's just a Ryan Malone salary dump, though I don't want to see the Leafs have too many spots taken up with ugly salaries.

Maybe he picks off something from San Jose if they're a bust in the playoffs. They've been hit and miss this year, and I'm wondering if their time as a contender is almost closing with new teams climbing the standings. Maybe they pick off a Clowe, or maybe a bigger name.

Jordan Staal? Maybe if Pittsburgh decides they don't have enough winger depth (James Neal has been a bust) they'll want to permanently shift some of their money towards a higher profile winger? With Crosby and Malkin back to full health next year maybe they wouldn't mind having Kessel riding shotgun in exchange for a Jordan Staal? OR, more unrealistically, Evgeni Malkin? I've heard some Pens fans suggest that trading Malkin for a king's ransom and keeping Jordan Staal in a clear number 2 role would be more beneficial. I don't think it's a good fit for the Leafs since we have nothing to give them, but whatever.

Or maybe it's just a James Neal type who has been a flop in Pittsburgh and we get him when his value is low.

Nathan Horton? I hate the guy, but we always seem to cook something up with Boston. If their playoff drive falls short, maybe they're in for some adjustments.

Dustin Penner? Anthony Stewart? Gilbert Brule (not big but plays big and doesn't look like he has a future in Edmonton). Guillaume Latendresse?
I wouldn't say bust because he hasn't played with Crosby or Malkin yet, but people laughed at me when I said Kulemin > > Neal.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:10 PM
TicketBroker

This will backfire when the Montreal Mafia forces the NHL to ban all players taller than 6'1 from throwing a body check.

TicketBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:11 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
I wouldn't say bust because he hasn't played with Crosby or Malkin yet, but people laughed at me when I said Kulemin > > Neal.
Neal will be fine. He has been their best forward for a while now, he just hasn't buried his chances as he should. When Crosby/Malkin come back he will shine.

Old
03-24-2011, 09:15 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
I wonder if that means he is going to move out a couple of the current forwards (Mac, Grabo) and bring in a couple of bigger guys?

Glad to see him address the number one center need.

Good joke, never gets old...

He should be driven out of town on the back of a donkey (or an ass) if he doesn't...

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Alternatively

Who do we have a legitimate chance of acquiring for 1st line center? It isn't something easily 'addressed'

Alternatively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternatively View Post
Who do we have a legitimate chance of acquiring for 1st line center? It isn't something easily 'addressed'
Definitely not. A number one center is literally the type of player a GM and organization can spend a decade trying to find.

Old
03-24-2011, 09:52 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Definitely not. A number one center is literally the type of player a GM and organization can spend a decade trying to find.
Yup. I think a number one center is the most valuable piece a team can have, and it won't be easy to get a good one.

Having Sundin was such a luxury. We could surround him with a bunch of terrible forwards and he would still carry the Leafs into the playoffs on his back.

I personally would give a ton to get top line center.

Old
03-24-2011, 09:54 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

I don't think we really have worry about schenn being moved for a #1 center or powerforward Lw'er because he said he would never move him. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes a huge package for sean couturier, is he sliding a little bit, but i've watched him play and he could step in next year, but would take 2 years for him to fill out and become a legit scorer though.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Shak19

Brooks Laich

Shak19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
I don't think we really have worry about schenn being moved for a #1 center or powerforward Lw'er because he said he would never move him. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes a huge package for sean couturier, is he sliding a little bit, but i've watched him play and he could step in next year, but would take 2 years for him to fill out and become a legit scorer though.
As much as Schenn has blossomed this year, I think if the opportunity came to move him for a young, legit number one centerman, you just have to do it. That is just a move you have to make. Nobody is untouchable, and for me, that would be the price to ship Schenn out. I think the hole created by his departure would be comparatively small compared to the number one center spot that's missing now.

Old
03-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Yes, please get Miami Weiss!!

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:57 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

we could of had Jeff Carter if it wasn't for the Kaberle Lovefest.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:07 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsrule123 View Post

He said his top priority is to get much bigger on our forwards.

And he said also to address the #1 Centre posistion.
Obvious.

Obvious.

Where was the news here?

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote