HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burke says we need to get bigger

Old
03-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
As much as Schenn has blossomed this year, I think if the opportunity came to move him for a young, legit number one centerman, you just have to do it. That is just a move you have to make. Nobody is untouchable, and for me, that would be the price to ship Schenn out. I think the hole created by his departure would be comparatively small compared to the number one center spot that's missing now.
That's pretty much a sideways move. If you move Schenn, all of a sudden the defense corps looks like crap.

Yes, we're desperate for a #1 center but you don't trade your best asset to get one. Leafs have to be patient until they can find the opportunity to get one or try to develop Kadri as a #1 center.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post
could of
Could've

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Krispies123

get bigger burke!

Krispies123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Krispies123

and get that #1 centre

Krispies123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:26 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
As much as Schenn has blossomed this year, I think if the opportunity came to move him for a young, legit number one centerman, you just have to do it. That is just a move you have to make. Nobody is untouchable, and for me, that would be the price to ship Schenn out. I think the hole created by his departure would be comparatively small compared to the number one center spot that's missing now.
You really don't know much about hockey do you??? Schenn is not the price you pay for a Number 1 ....never ever ever!! Schenn is a warrior built for playoffs...Schenn is the absolute untouchable player if there ever was one!!! Like I said Schenn is a warrior..need guys like him for playoff!!! The number one centre you trade for maybe a ***** in the playoffs! What's the old saying??? DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!! thats why you don't know what your'e talking about!!!! BTW I'd really like to know who the player was that you wanted the Leafs to draft ahead of Schenn...that is the only reason I can see that you want Schenn traded!!!

Last edited by OlderTimer*: 03-24-2011 at 10:34 PM.
OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
You really don't know much about hockey do you??? Schenn is not the price you pay for a Number 1 ....never ever ever!! Schenn is a warrior built for playoffs...Schenn is the absolute untouchable player if there ever was one!!! Like i said Scheen is a warrior..need guys like him for playoff!!! The number one centre you trade for maybe a ***** in the playoffs!
You need a number one center to get into the playoffs. If the choice is something like Getzlaf vs Schenn, I'm taking Getzlaf.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:31 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

will Burke danngle those 2 1sts & aquire that #1 center ?

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
That's pretty much a sideways move. If you move Schenn, all of a sudden the defense corps looks like crap.

Yes, we're desperate for a #1 center but you don't trade your best asset to get one. Leafs have to be patient until they can find the opportunity to get one or try to develop Kadri as a #1 center.
No, it isn't a sideways move. A guy like Luke Schenn is great to have, but what he brings can be compensated better by committee as opposed toa number one centerman. I mean, would you trade Schenn at absolute peak for someone like Sundin in his youth? Of course. I'm talking about a young star center.

Old
03-24-2011, 10:32 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
You need a number one center to get into the playoffs. If the choice is something like Getzlaf vs Schenn, I'm taking Getzlaf.
It would take far more then Schenn to get Getzlaf I'm afraid

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
It would take far more then Schenn to get Getzlaf I'm afraid
Of course, I'm speaking hypothetically. If there was a move like that available, Burke's driving Schenn to the airport personally. It's beyond homerism to think that isn't an upgrade and that would be my price, personally if we were to think about value for Schenn.

Old
03-24-2011, 10:36 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Of course, I'm speaking hypothetically. If there was a move like that available, Burke's driving Schenn to the airport personally. It's beyond homerism to think that isn't an upgrade and that would be my price, personally if we were to think about value for Schenn.
In Anaheim's position they would require a second player plus draft picks to even return the call. I think it's 99% certain Schenn is a Leaf indefinitely.

Old
03-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
In Anaheim's position they would require a second player plus draft picks to even return the call. I think it's 99% certain Schenn is a Leaf indefinitely.
Which is fine.

Old
03-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Never trade Schenn...end of story...

retire a Leaf...

Scott Stevens in this era..

he is 21 will only get a lot better

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:39 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Ryan Getzlaf is big joe colborne is big

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
Ryan Getzlaf is big joe colborne is big
That's what she said.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:42 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
No, it isn't a sideways move. A guy like Luke Schenn is great to have, but what he brings can be compensated better by committee as opposed toa number one centerman. I mean, would you trade Schenn at absolute peak for someone like Sundin in his youth? Of course. I'm talking about a young star center.
The thing you don't understand is that there is absolute no young Mats Sundin to trade for...So Schenn stays!!!! Would the AVs have won without a Primo Primo Adam Foote??? I don't think so!!!

Old
03-24-2011, 10:44 PM
zapy

We can try Colborne as third line centre next year. (6'5) and possibly bring up Mueller? (6'4) and Hanson (6'5)?

zapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:44 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Which is fine.
We aren't talking a Sjostrom or a Bozak and 2 mid rounders. If the price was even close to Burke's tolerance the deal would be done.

Schenn + Grabo + 1st round + 2nd round

Something like that.

Old
03-24-2011, 10:46 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsrule123 View Post
I saw the interview with him on Sportsnet.

He said his top priority is to get much bigger on our forwards.

And he said also to address the #1 Centre posistion.

Who would we get to get bigger? Will they have skill?
Will people ever realize that we have no idea?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:46 PM
pucky

Burke's still an idiot.

He said the same thing when he first came to Toronto. In fact, he had over a year to assess Toronto when he was still GM of the Ducks.

He's saying the same thing after he had all time and a few years to build his 'big team.' He got Phaneuf because he wanted 'big' players.

Someone should tell him he needs more talent and get rid of 'the AHLers.'

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:47 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Will people ever realize that we have no idea?
This.

Old
03-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Like I said, something more than just a "number one center". Stastny, for example is just a #1 center but someone like Duchene, yes absolutely... not that I think Duchene is even a remote possibility.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:49 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
I don't think you listen to Burke much do you??? It would take TEN...count em !) first round picks for Burke to trade Schenn. I would not trade Schenn for 12 first round picks!!!! I don't give a rats ass about what picks are worth or a number one center is worth...I dont trade Schenn. Did I mention that Schenn was the Player i wanted the Leafs to draft??? Did I mention that that Kadri was the Player that I wanted the Leafs to draft???I am not trading either Unless the Leafs get a Duschene back..I don't even want Hedman or Tavares...I'll keep Kadri!

last year I came late to the party because the Leafs had no number 1 picks...most years gone by I have watched players in thier draft year and knew exactly who I wanted for the Leafs.. Because the Leafs had no number 1 picks until recently I also came late to the party!

If I were a GM the 3 players that the Leafs own that I would not even think of trading right now is number one Blacker...this kid is gonna be a player, yet so many on here involve him in ever stupid proposal they make as a throw in!

Ross....agitator galore and can score, Leafs really need someone like him!

Finally Olden, if anyone really watched this kid he is amazing!! Size, skill, soft hands, great playmaker, skates like Gilbert Perrault, This kid I would not trade...No wonder the Wings wanted him. As I have not seen Nicholls play yet I have to see him play to make a desicion if he is worth keeping! More to come as I see more!

Last edited by OlderTimer*: 03-24-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old
03-24-2011, 10:50 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

you know... even though no one wants to trade away our draft picks, if we were to acquire a stastny/thornton/parise/etc(a high end top line forward) I can see him moving our two 1sts this year and next years 1st if he feels they would dramatically improve our team and it wouldn't mess with our current roster. Watching tonights game, makes me want to throw our 2 1st this year+next 2 years 1st to get matt duchene, you can just see he has game-breaking talent crucial to build a championship team. It would never happen so we have to develop our own talent and/or hope someone breaks out to be a top line guy!

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Can't we just try and draft one for once Our team is pretty good right now, why not just try to develop our own players for once. If we aquire a first line center it will be a poor one, at an expensive price because teams with good centers don't give them away....

Leafs87 is online now   Reply With Quote