HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke says we need to get bigger

Old
03-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Kulemon

vCash: 500
Jordan Staal, Lecavalier, Richards.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:57 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Can't we just try and draft one for once Our team is pretty good right now, why not just try to develop our own players for once. If we aquire a first line center it will be a poor one, at an expensive price because teams with good centers don't give them away....
If only 3/4's of this fanbase think as you do...

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:58 PM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Jordan Staal, Lecavalier, Richards.
Good luck...

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:01 PM
bluebarry

welwood must be getting pretty big by now.
wounder what he's up to these days

bluebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:14 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
you know... even though no one wants to trade away our draft picks, if we were to acquire a stastny/thornton/parise/etc(a high end top line forward) I can see him moving our two 1sts this year and next years 1st if he feels they would dramatically improve our team and it wouldn't mess with our current roster. Watching tonights game, makes me want to throw our 2 1st this year+next 2 years 1st to get matt duchene, you can just see he has game-breaking talent crucial to build a championship team. It would never happen so we have to develop our own talent and/or hope someone breaks out to be a top line guy!
We know that the Avs are not trading Duschene, and yes 2-1sts, and 2-2nds and a mid prospect i'd do that in a second! Altho not for Stastny at this point...he is not the Leading score on his team, Duschene is at an ELC...Stastny is going to cost any team $6.6 mill and I don't think he is worth is a this point. I am wondering if the Avs are going to think at some point they may want him to be a salary dump. The Flames did that wiht DP.

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:15 PM
seanlinden

Like others have mentioned, this really isn't news. Burke has preached the need for getting bigger up front since Dion Phaneuf was named captain. The need to be better at centre has been obvious since about a month into the season.

Ideally, this needs to come in the form of 2 separate players -- as you generally don't want the centre to be the primary guy doing the cycling on his line. The problem is that this wouldn't leave room for Kadri in the top 9.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:19 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
Good luck...
There is absolutely no luck to it!! I'd bet if any team were willing to take on $ 10 mill a year of VL contract he'd be gone in a second! Does anyone think he is worth $10 mill a year? Plus he also has a no treade clause, ahh I wish I was living in TB making $ 10 mill a year, Life would be so grand for me...why would I wan't to leave!

Old
03-24-2011, 11:29 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Like others have mentioned, this really isn't news. Burke has preached the need for getting bigger up front since Dion Phaneuf was named captain. The need to be better at centre has been obvious since about a month into the season.

Ideally, this needs to come in the form of 2 separate players -- as you generally don't want the centre to be the primary guy doing the cycling on his line. The problem is that this wouldn't leave room for Kadri in the top 9.
What in the name of Horse hockey are you talking about?? Are you a coach or a GM? As I have always seen it with you..."You talk too much but don't say enough"
Tell that to the 2 best centres the Leafs have ever had. Sittler and Sundin were the 2 best of all time playing the Cycle! BTW thier is always room for Kadri because I say so!!!! Your opinion doesn't count!!!!!! So who was the pick you wanted??? Filatov? Hodgeson? etc??? All the people who wanted the Leafs to pick someone other than Kadri want him traded or sent back to the Marlies...Screw the players YOU WANTED!!! Kadri is NOT getting traded because he IS THE PLAYER BURKE AND I BOTH WANTED!!...get it through your thick skulls!

Last edited by OlderTimer*: 03-24-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old
03-24-2011, 11:35 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
What in the name of Horse hockey are you talking about?? Are you a coach or a GM? As I have always seen it with you..."You talk too much but don't say enough"
Tell that to the 2 best centres the Leafs have ever had. Sittler and Sundin were the 2 best of all time playing the Cycle! BTW thier is always room for Kadri because I say so!!!! Your opinion doesn't count!!!!!!
Sittler & Sundin have generally always played with other strong cycle players, or guys who aren't defensive liabilities like Kessel. With him floating around and a completely ineffective defensive game, the last thing you want is the centre being the guy who gets caught low, especially if Lupul (another guy with little to no defensive game) is the left winger.

If Toronto is able to add 2 bodies, there will not be any room for Kadri in the top 9. Kessel, #1 C, Big Winger, MacArthur, Grabo, Kulemin, Lupul, Bozak, Armstrong would be our top 9.

Old
03-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Razor
Say no to Luongo.

Laich and Weiss. We would have a great 1A-1B combo while Kadri and Colborne develop.

Laich-Weiss-Kessel.

Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur.

Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:42 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Kadri isn't very big. Colborne is 6'5"?

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Stephen

Quote:
The thing you don't understand is that there is absolute no young Mats Sundin to trade for...So Schenn stays!!!! Would the AVs have won without a Primo Primo Adam Foote??? I don't think so!!!
It's called a hypothetical situation, try not to get so emotional over idle chit chat, it isn't real.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:49 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Sittler & Sundin have generally always played with other strong cycle players, or guys who aren't defensive liabilities like Kessel. With him floating around and a completely ineffective defensive game, the last thing you want is the centre being the guy who gets caught low, especially if Lupul (another guy with little to no defensive game) is the left winger.

If Toronto is able to add 2 bodies, there will not be any room for Kadri in the top 9. Kessel, #1 C, Big Winger, MacArthur, Grabo, Kulemin, Lupul, Bozak, Armstrong would be our top 9.
Maybe you should actually WATCH Kessel in his own zone!!! Shows how much you actually know about hockey! Do you realize that Kessel actually plays the half wall and cuts its it off before it gets to the opposing defenseman???? and actually gets the puck out???

While other Leaf players scamble all over the place in the defensive zone and no one ever covers the point (why the Leafs get in so much trouble in thier zone) Kessel actually covers his point man!!! Sorry dude....I'd take Kessel in the D-zone more than than most players on the Leafs!!! I see that you don't actually watch Kessel Play his position...You are one of those guys that have him as a stereotype non checker etc etc!! The two best playing thier position and actully do thier job in the d-zone are Kulemin and (GULP) KESSEL...RIPLEYS BELIEVE IT OR NOT! STRANGE BUT TRUE! Try actually watching the damn games and what Kessel does!!!

Old
03-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Kulemon

It wouldn't take much to get Vinny I don't think. TBay needs to make room for Stamkos so they can afford him and they won't be able to with Vinny. It would cost more for Staal and Richards might not sign here.

If we have room for Vinny then I guess do it but not using those 2 first rounders to get him.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
We aren't talking a Sjostrom or a Bozak and 2 mid rounders. If the price was even close to Burke's tolerance the deal would be done.

Schenn + Grabo + 1st round + 2nd round

Something like that.
I was responding to the 'Schenn remains a Leaf' part when I said "which is fine". All I'm saying is if a young star center was coming back for Schenn you would do it, because they're never available.

Old
03-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Like I said, something more than just a "number one center". Stastny, for example is just a #1 center but someone like Duchene, yes absolutely... not that I think Duchene is even a remote possibility.
And like I said, if a young star center is coming back you make the deal. The only two names I used as references were Mats Sundin and Ryan Getzlaf, so you get the idea of where I'm placing Schenn's value for me.

Old
03-24-2011, 11:56 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I was responding to the 'Schenn remains a Leaf' part when I said "which is fine". All I'm saying is if a young star center was coming back for Schenn you would do it, because they're never available.
That would mean that a GM would value Schenn more than his 1st line young centre...makes sense to me! think about what you just said!!!

Old
03-24-2011, 11:57 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Laich and Weiss. We would have a great 1A-1B combo while Kadri and Colborne develop.

Laich-Weiss-Kessel.

Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur.
This was exactly my thought in another thread.

But, moving back to another poster. Patrik Berglund is a very interesting name that popped up. He has the size and puck control ability to make a serious impact on our top line, but as the poster said he hasnt put it all together. He isnt slow, he has incredible vision, and can pass.

Has put it together at every other level as well. I am not sure what it would take to pry him out of St. Louis with with Jaden Schwartz on the way and Backes and Mcdonald down the centre it may happen.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Stephen

Quote:
I don't think you listen to Burke much do you??? It would take TEN...count em !) first round picks for Burke to trade Schenn. I would not trade Schenn for 12 first round picks!!!! I don't give a rats ass about what picks are worth or a number one center is worth...I dont trade Schenn. Did I mention that Schenn was the Player i wanted the Leafs to draft??? Did I mention that that Kadri was the Player that I wanted the Leafs to draft???I am not trading either Unless the Leafs get a Duschene back..I don't even want Hedman or Tavares...I'll keep Kadri!
Are you sure you're an Old Timer? Because I feel like I'm talking to an whiny little *****.

I don't care what Burke said, I don't care that you are in love with Schenn. I don't care that you wanted Kadri at the draft. All I said was if a young star centerman was coming back for Schenn, you make the deal. Pure and simple. Hypothetical situation, personal opinion on his value and the value of young, star centermen. Not asking for a trade, not referring to anything else.

Quote:
last year I came late to the party because the Leafs had no number 1 picks...most years gone by I have watched players in thier draft year and knew exactly who I wanted for the Leafs.. Because the Leafs had no number 1 picks until recently I also came late to the party!

If I were a GM the 3 players that the Leafs own that I would not even think of trading right now is number one Blacker...this kid is gonna be a player, yet so many on here involve him in ever stupid proposal they make as a throw in!

Ross....agitator galore and can score, Leafs really need someone like him!

Finally Olden, if anyone really watched this kid he is amazing!! Size, skill, soft hands, great playmaker, skates like Gilbert Perrault, This kid I would not trade...No wonder the Wings wanted him. As I have not seen Nicholls play yet I have to see him play to make a desicion if he is worth keeping! More to come as I see more!
Wonderful.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Stephen

Quote:
That would mean that a GM would value Schenn more than his 1st line young centre...makes sense to me NOT!!! Schenn stays
Well done, genius. I'm saying Schenn only leaves if we receive overpayment in the form of a young star centerman. I won't be responding after this because you're on the ignore list.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:02 AM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
Burke's still an idiot.

He said the same thing when he first came to Toronto. In fact, he had over a year to assess Toronto when he was still GM of the Ducks.

He's saying the same thing after he had all time and a few years to build his 'big team.' He got Phaneuf because he wanted 'big' players.

Someone should tell him he needs more talent and get rid of 'the AHLers.'
Who is he going to replace them with? We're almost at the end of the season, and he's giving them a chance to try out as bottom six roles. What we see is what we get for the remainder of the season, I think.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:03 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Burke said, "schenn isn't going anywhere, as long as i'm the GM"

Just thought I would put that out there. I'm sure most know this.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:04 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Burke said he needed both before the season even started. He was quite concerned with his 1st line center, although he was hopeful Bozak could be better than he was earlier in the season.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:09 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Maybe you should actually WATCH Kessel in his own zone!!! Shows how much you actually know about hockey! Do you realize that Kessel actually plays the half wall and cuts its it off before it gets to the opposing defenseman???? and actually gets the puck out???

While other Leaf players scamble all over the place in the defensive zone and no one ever covers the point (why the Leafs get in so much trouble in thier zone) Kessel actually covers his point man!!! Sorry dude....I'd take Kessel in the D-zone more than than most players on the Leafs!!! I see that you don't actually watch Kessel Play his position...You are one of those guys that have him as a stereotype non checker etc etc!! The two best playing thier position and actully do thier job in the d-zone are Kulemin and (GULP) KESSEL...RIPLEYS BELIEVE IT OR NOT! STRANGE BUT TRUE! Try actually watching the damn games and what Kessel does!!!
I'm really not sure how to reply to this one.... while claiming to be a "veteran coach" or whatever, then you post crap like this. 12 year old kids get taught how to play their position, because at that age as long as you block the passing lanes you're going to be ok. When you're dealing with NHL players, a good defensive player is one that can effectively remove his man from the puck and/or break up a scoring chance, not stand in his position hoping hte puck comes to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Burke said he needed both before the season even started. He was quite concerned with his 1st line center, although he was hopeful Bozak could be better than he was earlier in the season.
Actually, they seemed to be quite content with the centre position going into this season (when they were making the assumption that Kadri could contribute), with size + winger being the major concern.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Yes, please get Miami Weiss!!
He said a first line centre.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote