HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Kreider (Broken Jaw; Out 4-6 Weeks)

Old
03-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Chris Kreider (Broken Jaw; Out 4-6 Weeks)

Kreider broke his jaw against the University of New Hampshire off of an attempted clear by teammate Brian Gibbons. He is out indefinitely, most likely the rest of the season, how do you guys think this affects his decision to join the Rangers or not next year? I think he just makes the jump to the NHL instead of staying in College. Thoughts?

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:33 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Even when they're not on the Rangers, they can't avoid the anger of Zeus and pals.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:34 PM
frankthefrowner

I expect him to play one more year in college personally. I dont think the Rangers will have room on the wing for him next season and i dont know if he's willing to give up a year of college to play in HArtford.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
I expect him to play one more year in college personally. I dont think the Rangers will have room on the wing for him next season and i dont know if he's willing to give up a year of college to play in HArtford.
I agree. But even if he does come out he will have to compete for a roster spot with Thomas and possibly Hagelin

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Rangers44*

If he is serious about NHL, he will sign and play either in NHL or AHL next season.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
I don't think he would be going to Hartford. Frolov isn't being resigned, Fedotenko is a maybe, etc... He is gonna be battling for a spot on the roster come training camp in September. I see a "Stepan-esq" thing to happen with Kreider

Old
03-05-2011, 05:38 PM
frankthefrowner

Would Kreider even be elidgble Age wise to play for the Whale???

Not to mention there is no reason to Rush this kid, just because we desperatly need scoring doesnt mean we should ruin his career and rush him into a situation he isnt comfortable in.

Old
03-05-2011, 05:40 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Would Kreider even be elidgble Age wise to play for the Whale???

Not to mention there is no reason to Rush this kid, just because we desperatly need scoring doesnt mean we should ruin his career and rush him into a situation he isnt comfortable in.
Age doesn't matter.

He never played for the CHL (OHL, WHL, QMJHL), so he would've been eligible to join right after the draft if both he and Rangers wanted, IIRC.

Old
03-05-2011, 05:41 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers4life10 View Post
I don't think he would be going to Hartford. Frolov isn't being resigned, Fedotenko is a maybe, etc... He is gonna be battling for a spot on the roster come training camp in September. I see a "Stepan-esq" thing to happen with Kreider
With Kreider you have to be able to give him meaningful minutes up here other wise your just stunting the kids growth. Stepan was in a situation where we are really weak at center and was able to log decent minutes. Kreider i dont think will have that Luxury, if he doesnt score.

Old
03-05-2011, 05:50 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Kreider will go pro and he will be on the NHL roster next season.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
With Kreider you have to be able to give him meaningful minutes up here other wise your just stunting the kids growth. Stepan was in a situation where we are really weak at center and was able to log decent minutes. Kreider i dont think will have that Luxury, if he doesnt score.
You make a good point with that. We'll see.

Old
03-05-2011, 05:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
False.

And this is why he developed his two way game. Because he can play eitherway.

Tortorella loves the kid, the Rangers love the kid.

He's going to play.

Old
03-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Claxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Agreed. Its another Stepan/Mcdonagh situation. They know this kid has the goods and they want him developing in the NHL asap.

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 06:41 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I fully expect him to be given a shot at 2nd line LW next season with Anisimov/Stepan and Callahan.

Him and Hagelin (starting on the 4th line and as a penalty killer) will be the two rookies making it out of camp.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 07:04 PM
John Torturella

I dont see him sticking around in Boston. I dont think he has anymore to achieve down there. He has won a national championship, the bean pot, as well as gold and bronze at the WJC. His next stop is the NHL. Im pretty sure he signs and is on the Rangers by Thanksgiving at the latest.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 07:28 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Kreider will have a very good chance of making the team--though I wouldn't say he'd be a lock. For those who think he needs more college or has to put in a year in Hartford--not you Supersonic--I don't think they really understand the kind of dynamics that Kreider brings every time he steps on the ice. IMO he's about as ready now for the pro game as McDonagh was in his junior year--before he signed with the Rangers. He's on a fast track for the NHL. This is not the old days of five years ago and the Rangers are committing to youth and Kreider fits into this game plan. With his size and speed he's a weapon waiting to be unleashed. He has a lot to learn still but the situation is more conducive these days to on the job training. Just look at Stepan who is not completely ready--but maybe as intelligent a player as the Rangers have--well Zuccarello too.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 07:45 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Kreider will have a very good chance of making the team--though I wouldn't say he'd be a lock. For those who think he needs more college or has to put in a year in Hartford--not you Supersonic--I don't think they really understand the kind of dynamics that Kreider brings every time he steps on the ice. IMO he's about as ready now for the pro game as McDonagh was in his junior year--before he signed with the Rangers. He's on a fast track for the NHL. This is not the old days of five years ago and the Rangers are committing to youth and Kreider fits into this game plan. With his size and speed he's a weapon waiting to be unleashed. He has a lot to learn still but the situation is more conducive these days to on the job training. Just look at Stepan who is not completely ready--but maybe as intelligent a player as the Rangers have--well Zuccarello too.
Good post, Kreider has the size and speed to play in the NHL now. He has had 2 seasons of development already since he was drafted. He we groomed on a powerhouse team in college developing his game.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Stepanformayor*

Lets not get to excited here. He has 11 goals and 12 asst in 32 College games. I am not sure that 11 goals in 32 games computes to a NHL roster spot? He has had a very average year at BC, on a very good team i might add. I would say until he can dominate College hockey that another year at BC is what he needs.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 08:11 PM
frankthefrowner

Body wise how has he developed? That should be a big factor too, if he's going to be playing against dmen much bigger than him i would like to wait.

Old
03-05-2011, 08:12 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Body wise how has he developed? That should be a big factor too, if he's going to be playing against dmen much bigger than him i would like to wait.
I believe he's around 6'2 220. Very strong.

Old
03-05-2011, 08:14 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Lets not get to excited here. He has 11 goals and 12 asst in 32 College games. I am not sure that 11 goals in 32 games computes to a NHL roster spot? He has had a very average year at BC, on a very good team i might add. I would say until he can dominate College hockey that another year at BC is what he needs.
I don't think you understand how college hockey works. Underclassmen don't get the same amount of minutes/situations that upperclassmen get. You pay your dues and work your way up the lines. This isn't the case at every NCAA program, but it def is at BC.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
He is a very talented player, he may not have a lot of goals but like the other guy said, he doesn't get as many minutes as the upperclassmen. He is also an all-round player. He is great on the penalty kill. He also is very much like Callahan. he is a great two way forward which is why he doesn't score too much, he is a very good defensive forward, not a pure goal scorer. He is a great player

Old
03-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Stepanformayor*

I have been to 6 BC games this year. Kreider gets plenty of ice time. He has played much better since x-mas, and i love the way he plays, but i am not sure he is rerady for the NHL. He has not been a factor in one game that i saw live this year. Really good player, but not ready for the NHL yet.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 08:29 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I think he turns Pro and winds up starting the season with the Whalepack... Pulling for Hagelin to make the team out of camp this summer...

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 08:47 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
6-2, 218.