HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2011 Draft Thread IX

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2011, 02:13 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
It's all the same people getting skipped too. Oh well, at least we only have to wait an hour for them at this point.
I'm not sure about only a 4 hour max clock in future drafts, but 1 hour minimum is a beautiful thing.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Thomas is such an interesting case. A second likely vezina puts him in rare company, but he doesn't have much else.
Does he need more? He is top800 player ever, easily. Very easily IMHO.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Sami Pahlsson, C

03-30-2011, 02:16 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

With pick 811, NJ selects Larry Robinson, Assistant Coach

Larry was the only member of the Devil's coaching staff through all 3 cups - high profile assistant in 95, head coach in 00, special assignments in 03. *He failed at head coach because he was too nice to discipline his players, but is an all-time great assistant.

Full profile:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...7&postcount=47

Larry's role with the Swamp Devils*

1) change the defense in game

Larry was in charge of changing the defense for Lemaire as assistant in the 95 Cup run and did a great job of getting Scott Stevens out there against the best opposition at most time.

2) work with the defensemen

A) Read towards the bottom of the profile above about the influence Larry had on several of the great recent modern defensemen - Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, and Rob Blake. Ken Daneyko said he learned more from Jacques Lemaire and Robinson about hockey in their first two months in NJ than he did the rest of his life - and Ken was a multiyear veteran by this point!

Larry will really help Babe Pratt - who had the talent to be one of the best in the world and sometimes reached that level, but not consistently. *Larry will help him reach that level as often as possible.

B) He will help possible penalty liabilities Pratt and Ley play hard hitting hockey without taking unnecessary penalties. *Larry was part of the Devils coaching staff when they became the most disciplined team in the league and had a big part in channeling the rage of Stevens and Daneyko.

3) run the powerplay in practice

In 2000-01, larry's only full season in NJ, As head coach, they had the best PP in the league. *Elias and another forward roamed on the first unit, while the forwards on the second unit were more stationary - the exact plan for the Swamp Devils PP. I believe LA had a strong PP when Larry was there too.

-having Larry Robinson as assistant will allow Jaroslav Pitner to focus on implementing his left wing lock system and changing the forwards in game.*

Old
03-30-2011, 02:17 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Thomas is such an interesting case. A second likely vezina puts him in rare company, but he doesn't have much else.
This was kinda my question mark as well with him, as well as the fact that he didn't really play well last year when he had to split the work. He might be a guy that needs a lot of playing time to be successful.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:23 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
This was kinda my question mark as well with him, as well as the fact that he didn't really play well last year when he had to split the work. He might be a guy that needs a lot of playing time to be successful.
Yeah, losing his starting job in the middle of his outstanding years is definitely a concern.

He's has to be a top 80 goalie ever by this point though, right?

Old
03-30-2011, 02:26 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Yeah, losing his starting job in the middle of his outstanding years is definitely a concern.

He's has to be a top 80 goalie ever by this point though, right?
Defintiely he's top 80, but I think before I ever draft him I'd need him to move into the top 30 or so so (meaning that he'd have to win at least one more Vezina after this and win a Cup probably) that he could be my starting goalie getting 50-55 games a season at minimum.

Just too many questions marks with him as a backup for my taste.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:40 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Just so a rookie next time doesn't think he's head coaching material, Robinson should probably be listed on the OP as 'assistant coach.'

Old
03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
hungryhungryhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Brad Richards (surprisingly, because I didn't like that pick much, but he is.
The Richards pick wasn't a rushed mistake, or modern-era bias pick. I did my research before-hand, and thought it through well. He was the best guy available for what I was looking for, and the way I value players. He had the right skill set and appropriate talent level, his 5 best scoring finishes were right up there with the best players available, and unlike some of those other guys with offensive numbers, his on-ice game and career resume were both more well-rounded. He wasn't completely devoid of intangibles, and he was a Conn Smythe winner and Stanley Cup champion. In a historical context, his resume was more prestigious than a completely one-dimensional player who's only justification for being selected is a row of of numbers. And in the playoff-heavy ATD format, his resume was more appealing than someone who had never accomplished or won anything in the playoffs.

Everyone evaluates greatness different, and personally, I feel more comfortable going to into a playoff series argument with Richards on my team, than I would with any of the other centers available, except maybe one.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Hawkey Town 18

With the 812th pick the Chicago Steelers select Marty McSorley, D/RW

We like McSorely as a spare because he can play D and RW and he adds some grit to our team.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:58 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
So if Advantage and Nighthawks are being autoskipped, I think that puts Brave Canadian up at pick 815.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
So if Advantage and Nighthawks are being autoskipped, I think that puts Brave Canadian up at pick 815.
He has been PM'd

Old
03-30-2011, 03:05 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
But we were looking for a scoring centre with an elite offensive peak and good two-way ability.
OK, sure, he almost certainly has the best two-year peak among the discussed players.

But why just look for peak? We are looking at a player's all-time offensive worth, right? I'm sure you are, too, which tells me that we just have fundamental differences on how much of that value should come from a two-year peak.

Let's put it this way. Suppose Henrik plays 8 more years as an 85-point center and has 5 more seasons from 7th-17th in scoring. Does his standing improve from what it is now (or at least, what most of these GMs perceive it is now)? I would say definitely.

It sounds like you're downgrading guys with a number of great years beyond their best two, such as Roenick and Turgeon and McKenney, but if/when Sedin gets to that point of establishing such a track record, then he can be a better ATD producer than them... just not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Romnes is listed as LW/C or just LW everywhere - on hockey reference, nhl.com, LOH, wiki... either they're all on drugs, or he really was a LW.
hmm, I stand corrected. I wonder if that changed at some point. I swear I remember him being exclusively a center before. I'd have likely taken him a lot more seriously in the MLD if he wasn't in the massive center pile.

ooooorrrrrr.... all those sites are on drugs. It's possible they all smoked the same stuff.

Quote:
Btw, I do think there is a good chancenof the sedins beings drafted over stastny in ATD 2025,for what that's worth.
I'm thinking no, even if they are peaking almost at his level. Aren't they 31 now? Think of what Stastny had done by age 31... six seasons in the top-6 in points. In a Gretzky-less world, probably 1-2-2-4-4-5. In a Lemieux-less world (and that really is what the Sedins are in now, isn't it?), that would be 1-2-2-3-3-5. that's pretty smokin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Montreal Canadiens are proud to select Billy Reay C

Choosing between him and Gardner was agonizing. I think all day I wanted Reay, and finally changed my mind right at the time of selection. They have equal peaks offensively, with Gardner having better longevity. Both contributed to two cups, Reay contributed more offensively to them. (but not much more) - I think that Gardner's physicality and defense are substantiated a bit better, and I was pretty discouraged how so many Habs books completely neglect to mention Reay at all. The biggest thing was size though. I didn't want to have a midget 4th line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I think it is uncontroversial at this point to say that goals are more valuable than assists in the postwar era. The post-93 goals/assists ratio in hockey has been about 1.44, if I recall correctly, meaning that first assists account for roughly 70% of assists recorded. .
1.69, actually, so the 70% would become 59% (1/1.69)... not sure what that does to your calculations though. Just thought I'd clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Having a skill and having the opportunity to use it are different things. How do you suggest we evaluate special teams statistics in the ATD for players who won't see special teams time? I haven't seen any concrete argument in favor of assigning value to points accrued in non-ATD special teams roles, while the argument for ignoring these points is perfectly clear. What, exactly, is the argument for counting them?

Doan gets credit for often being the leading scorer on his team, and that's fine, but it highlites the fact that Phoenix's relative lack of offensive depth gave Doan a lot more powerplay opportunities than he would have had on a good offensive team. You can't have it both ways.
You are, of course, right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
PlayerGPGAPtsA GA A A PtsPO GPPO GPO APO Pts
Larry Aurie489147129276257320577246915
Jimmy Ward52714712727426935562436448

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=145895&page=5 - posts 102 and 125

Jimmy Ward 4th in 31-32 Lady Byng voting.

Jimmy Ward tied for 2nd in RW all-star voting with 1 vote out of 32.

33-34 all-star voting: "Larry Aurie and Jimmy Ward also contended for the 2nd RW spot."

35-36 all-star voting: "The only other contender, Larry Aurie, was far back."

36-37 all-star voting: "Larry Aurie 20 firsts and 2 secnds, Jimmy Ward 1 first and 2 secnds out of 23 votes

Both players first season was 27-28 and their last was 38-39. Both are somewhat similar two-way players. Aurie went at pick 284, and Ward at pick 794.
Isn't Aurie a HHOFer? And wasn't he always the best player on his line? And wasn't Ward almost always the 3rd-best on his?

Quote:
I don't like him as your backup. With Connell, you have a mediocre starter who raises his game in the playoffs. I would have picked the best regular season goalie possible. Giguere is too inconsistent to be counted on regularly at this level. And his highs really aren't even that high in the regular season. He really only has the two playoff runs of historical note - he'd be an ok backup for a team with a really good regular season starter who might falter in the playoffs. But that's not what you have.
To the bolded: Yes, maybe, but one of them was a legendary Smythe win and in the other he won the cup and wouldn't have been a Smythe choice, so these aren't just "playoff runs of historical note". And besides, which backups can you even say that about?

Quote:
Has he ever been picked before?
Yep, he was an ATD6-9 staple, going as high as 460th.

Quote:
Don't forget the Hart this year (most likely)

Quote:
I'm not sure about only a 4 hour max clock in future drafts, but 1 hour minimum is a beautiful thing.
I'd go to a 2-hour minimum and 6 hour clock for the last 6 rounds. We've gone too far at this point. This is ridiculous!

Old
03-30-2011, 03:11 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Don't forget the Hart this year (most likely)

I wouldn't say most likely, but it's at least possible. I'm not sure he's even as valuable as two other goalies though who might not even be Vezina finalists. I have no idea who's going to win it this year.

EDIT: Also a good point made below by TDMM

Old
03-30-2011, 03:12 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Thomas would be an awful choice for the Hart with how few games he played...

(this is probably better chat thread material)

Old
03-30-2011, 03:13 PM
jarek

Quote:
I'd go to a 2-hour minimum and 6 hour clock for the last 6 rounds. We've gone too far at this point. This is ridiculous!
Why? The people who are missing their clocks would have missed them anyway.. why should we have to wait longer?

Old
03-30-2011, 03:15 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
Why? The people who are missing their clocks would have missed them anyway.. why should we have to wait longer?
I agree. I'm fine going to 6 hours instead of four. This is going a little too fast now, but remember we are behind schedule. But if a GM misses 5 clocks, he obviously doesn't mind missing his slot and picking later, so why wait?

I'd be fine with autoskipping people who missed 6 clocks for the rest of the draft...

Old
03-30-2011, 03:22 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Who will fight on your team? Who will protect the stars?

Fighting is a fact of hockey and while in some eras (read: today's NHL) there aren't many designated fighters, fighting still happens. The more intense the game, and certainly the more dirtier the tactics tried by opponents, the more important to have a good fighter/enforcer. It has deterent value and it also generates energy that can swing the momentum of games.

Do you want your stars who can fight to be sitting in the box? Or do you want a fourth liner who only plays a few minutes a game anyways? A player like Graves can fight but if he's the only fighter on the squad then the team loses a good checker and aggitator when he is serving 5-minute penalties or game misconducts.

Some ATDers think that they can have their cake and eat it too (just like how some try and get great defensive players who can score too, but the fact is that these are few and far between and that several of the greatest checkers in the game have had limited offensive upside). To wit, the better the player you count on to fight, the bigger the loss when they are sent off.

If your team has a pest like Tikkanen or a cheapshot artist like Clarke, then you absolutely NEED a couple of guys who could drop the gloves and at least one who will do so very well.

Probert was a good pick because he can take a regular shift as well. But the fact is that the 12th forward needn't see more than 6-8 minutes a game, and it's easy to cover for them if their role is to intimidate and throw a couple of checks. Semenko is a guy who famously protected Gretz. A player like Maltsev will need protection. Having a linemate who will drop gloves is one solution, having a guy on the bench who nobody wants to fight is another.

A team needs to have PIMs. Penalties aren't all negative. Every GM in the NHL knows that. If you think that less PIMs the better and no high-PIM players the best, then you must be thinking about all-star games or stay-out-the-box situations, like protecting a lead late in a game. There are plenty of situations where high-PIM guys and especially fighters are needed.

McSorley is a good pick not for 'grit' per se, but for intimidation, energy, big hits and fighting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeNugget View Post
The Riots select Dave "The Hammer" Schultz, LW.
He took a lot of shifts on two Stanley Cup winning teams, scoring 11 playoff points in the process, 222 playoff PIMs over those two postseasons. Having him as an extra skater is a wise draft choice.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:24 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhungryhippy View Post
The Richards pick wasn't a rushed mistake, or modern-era bias pick. I did my research before-hand, and thought it through well. He was the best guy available for what I was looking for, and the way I value players. He had the right skill set and appropriate talent level, his 5 best scoring finishes were right up there with the best players available, and unlike some of those other guys with offensive numbers, his on-ice game and career resume were both more well-rounded. He wasn't completely devoid of intangibles, and he was a Conn Smythe winner and Stanley Cup champion. In a historical context, his resume was more prestigious than a completely one-dimensional player who's only justification for being selected is a row of of numbers. And in the playoff-heavy ATD format, his resume was more appealing than someone who had never accomplished or won anything in the playoffs.

Everyone evaluates greatness different, and personally, I feel more comfortable going to into a playoff series argument with Richards on my team, than I would with any of the other centers available, except maybe one.
Yes, Brad Richards at 30 is well on his way to being the next Pierre Turgeon, for example. But for now, five times in the top-24 in scoring is nowhere near ten times.

Same thing I said for Sedin. Are you going to think more of Richards once he's completed another 5 seasons 7th-17th in scoring? Damn right you will! Don't kid yourself, it matters.

And yeah, I realize Richards isn't a complete creampuff (not completely, anyway) or defensive no-show, but does he really have enough in those areas to say he bridges offensive gaps in relation to other guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
With the 812th pick the Chicago Steelers select Marty McSorley, D/RW

We like McSorely as a spare because he can play D and RW and he adds some grit to our team.
He wasn't a goon, either... from 1990-1997, McSorley averaged at least 19.2 minutes per season and as high as 23.5. He ranked 5-3-4-3-3-3-1-2 on his teams' defense corps during those years.

It's also possible that time on the wing deflated those numbers somewhat, if he was switch hitting for a few years, since a 2nd/3rd line winger would get less icetime than a top-4 blueliner.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:41 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneOfTheGuys View Post
To wit, the better the player you count on to fight, the bigger the loss when they are sent off.
Ha, that's only a loss in a situation where I have a Cashman or Bridgman fight Schultz! If few teams have one-dimensional thugs like that, then why worry about such occasional tradeoffs? If I was the teams owning players like that, I'd be more concerned about whether any decent players will fight them and justify their existence! In real life, that is what happens: the considerably less-skilled thugs usually only fight eachother.

Clearly most GMs here don't see the need.

If we view the fighting skills historically of Red Horner, Wendel Clark, Rick Tocchet and others as a positive, then we understand that it was an acceptable tradeoff to see them in the box for five minutes. It should follow, now that they are on ATD teams in much lesser roles, that this is even more true now.

Quote:
A team needs to have PIMs. Penalties aren't all negative. Every GM in the NHL knows that. If you think that less PIMs the better and no high-PIM players the best, then you must be thinking about all-star games or stay-out-the-box situations,
Of course. But you're saying PIMs and tough play (which is really important) are the same thing. they are often linked, but not perfectly.

No one's talking about all-star games, we're talking about winning real hockey games. Giving the other team a powerplay is rarely a good idea. If you're sending a message, the message better be worth giving the other team a 20% chance of scoring a goal. Some messages are worth it, yes. And some of the best intimidators of all-time were good enough at it, that they did it without getting caught - or they did it cleanly. Or they did it when the outcome of the game was no longer in doubt.

The penalty itself is not the good thing. It is the outcome from behaviours on the ice - some desirable, some undesirable.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:

He wasn't a goon, either... from 1990-1997, McSorley averaged at least 19.2 minutes per season and as high as 23.5. He ranked 5-3-4-3-3-3-1-2 on his teams' defense corps during those years.

It's also possible that time on the wing deflated those numbers somewhat, if he was switch hitting for a few years, since a 2nd/3rd line winger would get less icetime than a top-4 blueliner.
Makes sense if those rankings are in chronological order. If he was playing RW in any of those years it would have been the earlier ones.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:46 PM
BM67

Quote:
Isn't Aurie a HHOFer? And wasn't he always the best player on his line? And wasn't Ward almost always the 3rd-best on his?
Aurie is not a HHoF member. Herbie Lewis is, so I would have to assume he was the better player at least some of the time. George Hay was the starting LW before Lewis. Then you have Goodfellow, Weiland and Barry at center.

I'm thinking Ward was the #1 guy less than Aurie, but probably spent less time as the #3 guy, and about the same amount of time on the #2 line.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:52 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
The Philadelphia Firebirds are happy to select their backup goaltender, G Charlie Hodge

6x Stanley Cup Champion
3x NHL All Star Game Participant(one merit based)
2x Vezina Trophy Winner(shared with Gump Worsley)
2x NHL 2nd Team All Star
4x Top 5 Wins (2, 2, 5, 5)
5x Top 5 GAA (1, 2, 3, 3, 5)
4x Top 4 Shutouts (1, 2, 3, 4)
2x Top 3 Wins in Playoffs (3, 3)
2x Top 2 GAA in Playoffs (2, 2)
2x Top 2 Shutouts in Playoffs (2, 2)
2x Top 5 Hart Trophy Voting (4, 5)

Quote:
Hodge would turn professional in 1953, and would dominate the minor leagues. Unfortunately for Hodge and other goalies like him, most famously Johnny Bower, the NHL standard practice in those days was still to carry one goalie, and there was only 6 NHL teams. Big league jobs were hard to come by, especially when Jacques Plante was the incumbent in Montreal. For the next 10 years Hodge was rarely given a shot at the NHL. The worst part was his father John did not live long enough to see Charlie persevere into a NHL goaltender.

His pro debut was storybook to say the least. He led the IHL with 10 shutouts and a 2.34 goals against average for the Cincinnati Mohawks and led them to the IHL championship. He also played for Buffalo of the AHL (3 games) that year.

When Montreal Canadiens goalie Jacques Plante was injured in 1954-55, Hodge was called up and did well in the 14 games as his replacement, and was even tried in the playoffs.

He was sent to the minors again for two seasons before Plante was again out of action in 1957-58, and Hodge was again sharp in 12 games for the Habs. Hodge would accompany team but not play in the playoffs, but still got his name on the Stanley Cup. It was the first of 4 engravings for Hodge.

When Plante was stricken with a case of boils late in 1958-59, Claude Pronovost and Claude Cyr were not the answer and Hodge was called up from the Montreal Royals to do the goaltending.

In 1959-60 Hodge played in exactly 1 game with the Canadiens all year, but that was enough to get his name on the Stanley Cup a second time. Rules for minimum number of games played were not in existence back then.

In 1960-61 Plante was injured again and Hodge took over in goal. He played so well that some writers suggested that Plante may have trouble displacing him. The Habs finished first that year and Hodge made a substantial contribution. In 30 games he was 18-8-4 with 4 shutouts and 2.47 GAA in his first real stint in the NHL.

Despite his successes, he then played two years for the Quebec Aces of the QHL. Hodge finally got his break in 1963-64 when Gump Worsley, who had been obtained for Plante, badly pulled a hamstring muscle. Hodge was called upon to take over the net. There was no getting Hodge out once he got in, as he had a great year, finishing 33-18-11 with a 2.26 goals against average and led the NHL with 8 shutouts and won the Vezina Trophy. This was unquestionably Hodge's moment of glory as he would never quite recapture this moment when he was exceptional.

He made the second all-star team the next year, but lost his starting job to Worsley who shined in the Stanley Cup playoffs as Montreal won their first Stanley Cup since 1960. In 1965-66, Hodge was again the backup for an even sharper Worsley as they shared the Vezina Trophy. Worsley was in the running for the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoff MVP as the Canadiens won their second straight Stanley Cup.

Hodge played most of the 1966-67 season when Worsley was hurt but a young phenom named Rogie Vachon and Worsley handled the playoffs.

In 1967-68, the NHL expanded to include six new teams and the California Seals drafted the experienced and well travelled Hodge. Hodge played admirably, keeping the Seals from being a total disaster. He posted a very respectable 13-29-13 record with 3 shutouts and 2.86 GAA
http://habslegends.blogspot.com/2007...lie-hodge.html

Quote:
Hodge's lone season in southern Ohio proved spectacular, with a league-high 10 shutouts and a 2.34 goals-against average. His goaltending was an integral part of the team's regular-season and Turner Cup championship performance.

While waiting patiently for a chance to play in the NHL on a full time basis, Hodge's minor pro tour took him through the Quebec senior league, the Western Hockey League, the American Hockey League and the Eastern Professional Hockey League. He proved to be a workhorse and a success wherever he strapped on his pads. Four times he was placed on either the First or Second All-Star Teams of the league in which he played. Hodge thought he caught his first major break with a 19 win and four-shutout performance in 30 appearances for the Habs in 1960-61, but it wasn't to be.

Early in 1963-64, he was starting his third consecutive season with the AHL's Quebec Aces when the tide finally turned in his favor. Hodge was called in to replace injured Gump Worsley as the Canadiens' first-string netminder. He stepped in admirably by registering 33 wins and an NHL best eight shutouts. His stellar work was recognized at the conclusion of the season when he was named the winner of the Vezina Trophy and selected to the NHL Second All-Star Team.

Despite being a part-time veteran of the NHL, many wondered if Hodge's success in 1963-64 was a fluke. These reservations proved inaccurate as the plucky netminder put up a 26-16-10 mark in 1964-65. His fine work contributed to the Habs' first Stanley Cup win since 1959-60.

Hodge and Worsley worked superbly together in 1965-66. The shining duo led Montreal to a repeat Stanley Cup performance and shared the Vezina Trophy after recording the stingiest goals-against mark in the NHL. But the very next year things began to unravel for Hodge. He appeared in 37 regular-season games but was the odd man out after young phenomenon xxx was called up late in the schedule and played superbly.

Left unprotected by Montreal, Hodge was claimed by the Oakland Seals in the 1967 Expansion Draft. In a matter of months, the veteran backstopper went from an elite defensive club to an inexperienced outfit that guaranteed his exposure to an enormous number of shots. Hodge fought on bravely in 1967-68 with three shutouts and 13 wins in 58 games while sharing the goaltending chores with youngster xxx.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=18552

Quote:
One of the most dedicated, hardworking, quiet people. Nobody wanted to win more than Charlie Hodge.-xxx

The 5'6", 160 lb. native of Lachine, Quebec, had a successful career with the Montreal Canadiens prior to joining the Seals. He won the Vezina Trophy as the league's top goalie twice, in 1963-64 and then in 1965-66 when he shared the title with Gump Worsley. He was also an integral part of the Canadiens 1965 Stanley Cup winning team.

Despite his success, Hodge was always fighting for a job in the 6 team NHL.

Like Olmstead, Charlie Hodge was a competitor. "I enjoyed Bert," Hodge said. "We played together in Montreal and I knew how badly he wanted to win."

Of the 15 games the Seals won that year, Hodge was the winning goalie in 13 of them, an astounding 86.7% of the of the team's victories. At the end of the season, Hodge was voted the Seals' most valuable player.

Teammates remembered Hodge as a good teammate with a kind heart. Hodge even helped the people he was competing with for a job.

"He was a first class guy, a competitor, and very smart and talented."

"He was honest, sincere, and smart. Pound for pound, he was a great goalie. He was an intelligent goalie, too."
Hodge will forever hold the Seals' record for lowest goals against average in a season. He proved to be a little goalie with a big heart.
http://books.google.com/books?id=vno...0hodge&f=false

Quote:
At one point in his National Hockey League career, Charlie Hodge was so popular a Montreal Canadiens goalie that enthused citizens named a street after him in the Canadian metropolis.
http://books.google.com/books?id=wpb...0hodge&f=false

Quote:
Charlie Hodge spent 14 seasons in the Montreal Canadiens system, seeing only occasional action at the NHL level as an injury replacement for Jacques Plante during much of that time. Hodge played so well in 30 games for the Canadiens in 1960-61 that some speculated Plante would have a difficult time regaining his job when he had recovered from a knee injury. But though Hodge had made a significant contribution to Montreal's first-place finish that season, he still found himself in the minors for the next two seasons.
http://books.google.com/books?id=8mL...hockey&f=false

Quote:
To close out the first round, the Oakland Seals picked Charlie Hodge, who had great success with the Montreal Canadiens in the 'sixties.
http://books.google.com/books?id=JgL...hockey&f=false

Quote:
But Charles Hodge, whose goaltending provided the key to the title...
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...ie+hodge&hl=en

Quote:
Hodge continues to Stymie Leafs

Goaltending king Charlie Hodge continued his domination over the Toronto Maple Leafs Thursday Night after the Montreal Canadiens defeated the Toronto Maple Leafs in a penalty filled first game of their Stanley Cup semi-final.

Quote:
Coach Dick Irvin worked his two goalie system again and Jacques Plante and little Charlie Hodge turned in workman-like performances, both spectacular at times. A one handed stab by Hodge of a shot by Fern Flaman in the second period was termed by Irvin the turning point of the game.

Quote:
He injured a leg earlier in the season and has never been able to get his job back because of the great work done by Charlie Hodge, brought up from the Royals.

Plante worked in 21 games and gave up 69 goals. In 20 games, Hodge has given up 44 goals.

With Plante in the nets, the Canadiens won 10, lost 7, and tied four. With Hodge they have won 15, lost 4, and tied one.

Quote:
Displaying a tremendous attack and backed by brilliant goaltending from Charlie Hodge...

Quote:
The Oakland Seals, scoring in every period and sparked by the outstanding goaltending of veteran Charlie Hodge, beat the Los Angeles Kings, 3 to 0.
http://www.google.com/search?q=charl...a1f3a1e21027e0

Quote:
Brilliant goaltending by Charlie Hodge held Victoria at bay as Seattle downed the Cougars. Hodge made an unbelievable 24 saves in the second period and ended up with an evening's total of 39.

Quote:
Plante was in a slump at the time, and Hodge played brilliantly to put the team back in the NHL race.

"It would have taken a superhuman effort to do better than Hodge has in the past few games," Selke said.

Quote:
Charlie Hodge's brilliant goaltending helped Quebec gain a decision over Baltimore Tuesday night and take undisputed possession of first place in the Eastern Division of the American Hockey League.

Quote:
Goals by Bobby Rousseau and Gilles Tremblay backed up Charlie Hodge's flawless goaltending...

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 03-31-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old
03-30-2011, 03:54 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Who can take my list?

Old
03-30-2011, 03:58 PM
hungryhungryhippy

I'll be around all night -- just doing school assignments

Closed Thread