Marc Savard - ALL - updates and discussion here

Old
03-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddogg02316 View Post
Sad to say but I don't think it is worth even having him back. He has had so many troubles with concussions that he'll likely never be the Savard we once knew. And to think just one more bad hit could end it for him completely. If he ever does come back he's definitely risking alot.
It's up to him to make that choice. And I'll support him in whatever choice he makes.

But it's not going to be an easy decision either way, and I do wish people wouldn't dismiss it as such. Marc Savard has played hockey practically his entire life, and not only is he one of the best in the world at what he does, it's obvious he loves what he does. Even if he's told it would be dangerous to continue, there's going to be part of him, I'm certain, that will want to continue anyway. Wouldn't you?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 05:06 PM
BostonAJ

That contract is going to be a driving force to attempt a comeback. If he retires, he's leaving $24 million on the table. That's might be too much to just walk away from, even if his health is on the line.

As far as the team goes, it puts the Bruins in a very tough cap position this summer. Should they count on his return when building the roster or not?

Does anyone know if Savard can just sit on LTIR for the next six years and collect his paycheck?

BostonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAJ View Post
That contract is going to be a driving force to attempt a comeback. If he retires, he's leaving $24 million on the table. That's might be too much to just walk away from, even if his health is on the line.

As far as the team goes, it puts the Bruins in a very tough cap position this summer. Should they count on his return when building the roster or not?

Does anyone know if Savard can just sit on LTIR for the next six years and collect his paycheck?
Usually the contracts are insured.

He'd retire due to injury and then get his money from insurance.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 06:43 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
It's up to him to make that choice. And I'll support him in whatever choice he makes.

But it's not going to be an easy decision either way, and I do wish people wouldn't dismiss it as such. Marc Savard has played hockey practically his entire life, and not only is he one of the best in the world at what he does, it's obvious he loves what he does. Even if he's told it would be dangerous to continue, there's going to be part of him, I'm certain, that will want to continue anyway. Wouldn't you?
I expect it'll be difficult for Marc to step away from hockey and adjust to life without it, but his concussion history and age make him more concussion prone in the future and more likely to experience lengthy and debilitating bouts with PCS.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:56 PM
sooshii
Living the dream

Pierre Lebrun: "BTW, I got an update on savard today, he's having memory problems, he's scared; he doesn't know what his future is."

context: trying to convince MM that rex was out of line with (what else?) comments on pachioretty because his teammate has a concussion.

LeBrun just posted his blog:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...i-crosses-line

Quote:
Wish I had better news to forward on the Marc Savard front, but it's quite the opposite. A source told ESPN.com Saturday that the concussed Bruins center is having "real memory problems and he's quite worried about it."

Last edited by sooshii: 03-26-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: blog link added
sooshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
Pierre Lebrun: "BTW, I got an update on savard today, he's having memory problems, he's scared; he doesn't know what his future is."

context: trying to convince MM that rex was out of line with (what else?) comments on pachioretty because his teammate has a concussion.
If thats the case I think he clearly done.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Right. If that's true, he shouldn't even think of returning. I really hope all these symptoms pass, just for the sake of his normal life.

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
Right. If that's true, he shouldn't even think of returning. I really hope all these symptoms pass, just for the sake of his normal life.
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl...ory?id=6262553

What a shame.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Lisa Needs Braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Yeah, right now his health is the most important. If he's having memory problems, he's likely done. Its a huge shame.

Lisa Needs Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:30 PM
RaskMullet
You Like No ?

I would say it's about a 75% chance he will hang them up, he needs to look out for his health first, and if he can't remember stuff it's not a good sign.

RaskMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
I expect it'll be difficult for Marc to step away from hockey and adjust to life without it, but his concussion history and age make him more concussion prone in the future and more likely to experience lengthy and debilitating bouts with PCS.
Absolutely.

Memory loss, that's Muhammad Ali territory right there.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Waltah*

Savard update

hope this wasn't already posted. heard it on HNIC tonight and found this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl...=ESPNHeadlines

Quote:
Concussed Boston Bruins center Marc Savard is having "real memory problems and he's quite worried about it," a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun.

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

If that's the case even if he wants to come back the B's should just tell him to retire and think of his health first or they place him in the minors with no hope of ever being recalled.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:33 PM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Poor guy, I don't even know what to say outside of I hope it's not permanent and that for the sake of his well being and his family, retirement is looking like it's probably on the horizon.

Best of luck Savvy.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Arthur*
U MAD?

He'll make the right decision for himself in conjunction with his doctors' advice and the Bruins organization.

I don't think us message board posters who have never done any medical work in our lives should be sitting here demanding that he retire because we read about some discomfort he's suffering in a couple articles.

Arthur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:37 PM
MasqueOfTheRedDeath*

Well that's depressing.

MasqueOfTheRedDeath* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Mione134

Terrible. Just freaking terrible.

Poor guy. I still hope and pray he can make a comeback. But in regards to his health and how it looks like right now, its unlikely. Sucks a cheapshot has ruined his career. Then again, it took Bergy 2 years to be okay..I'm hopeful that Savvy can return...but who knows right now. Memory loss is no joke. Thanks a lot Cooke. Thanks a freakin lot.

Mione134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

This just keeps getting worse.

I'm not the one to lose hope, but it's reaching a point where Savard should retire.

Twisted Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Cronuss

vCash: 2823
(((

Cronuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Sensfanman

I hope nothing but the best for Savard. I hope he serves as an example to inspire change so no one else will have to go through this.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:41 AM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Love Savvy, but he really needs to retire. He's got a young family to think about, not to mention his own livelihood. And, to address the issue bluntly, his salary is covered by insurance. All of it, which means he can file a claim and collect nearly all of what the contract owes him and live a healthy life. Hang 'em up Savvy. Good luck and God bless.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:55 AM
Octavio

Honestly, I don't think Marc Savard is done. He has been up against for a long time and things have been bad, but I don't think he's done yet.

Even though there was never any time table on his return, most people probably assume that it means next season which is why this report seems troubling. It sucks for sure he's still feeling symptoms of things and maybe he won't play again until a while into next season or not at all.

The thing about Savard is that he's tough. Perhaps not as a physical presence on the ice but as a competitor and in his attitude. Marc Savard wants to win. The reason the team was such crap last year was because they lost a lot more than just his playmaking abilities.

Savard has played in the league a long time and played on the same teams as Gretzky, Recchi, Kovalchuk and Iginla to name a few. Maybe he is done forever, but I think that some day he will come back because he still wants to win the Cup.

And if not he can become a professional golfer. "Get that Gold jacket like I never got."

Octavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:56 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
He'll make the right decision for himself in conjunction with his doctors' advice and the Bruins organization.

I don't think us message board posters who have never done any medical work in our lives should be sitting here demanding that he retire because we read about some discomfort he's suffering in a couple articles.
Who's demanding he retire? Fans care about their players and anyone of us would love to have a healthy Savard here for the duration of his career. It just looks more and more like he shouldn't return for his own good.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 02:16 AM
LyricalLyricist

Brutal. The NHL failed. Here's a guy who was a legit top 10(sometimes top 5) playmaker in the game and they not only ruined one of the game's stars, but also potentially ruined his life. yada yada, cooke is an absolute jerk, but the reality is, the NHL even had to balls to say it wasn't against the rules back in the day. "Intent to injure", don't care what the details are, that's a legit arguement. Even so, by that point, it was all said and done, so it wouldn't change Savard's fate, but the reality is, it's been going on too long. The NHL always acts too late, and I hope no one else suffers the same situation over a stupid hit.

I sincerely hope Savard makes it out of this, he's got my best wishes. Let's hope this is a bump in the road and not a sign of things to come. Get well marc!

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 05:10 AM
Marc Savard
06/15/2011. x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavio View Post
Honestly, I don't think Marc Savard is done. He has been up against for a long time and things have been bad, but I don't think he's done yet.

Even though there was never any time table on his return, most people probably assume that it means next season which is why this report seems troubling. It sucks for sure he's still feeling symptoms of things and maybe he won't play again until a while into next season or not at all.

The thing about Savard is that he's tough. Perhaps not as a physical presence on the ice but as a competitor and in his attitude. Marc Savard wants to win. The reason the team was such crap last year was because they lost a lot more than just his playmaking abilities.

Savard has played in the league a long time and played on the same teams as Gretzky, Recchi, Kovalchuk and Iginla to name a few. Maybe he is done forever, but I think that some day he will come back because he still wants to win the Cup.

And if not he can become a professional golfer. "Get that Gold jacket like I never got."
I couldn't agree more, mister

Marc Savard is offline   Reply With Quote