HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The thread that killed Bin Laden

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Crazy Tasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post

i bet your daughter is already super proud!!
She is, however I think she still wants to get paid

Old
03-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Man, that's great.

A helpful hint: if you think you're gonna need a smoke, just go to a public place where smoking isn't allowed--it'll help you force yourself not to.
So far, I kick the nearest cat when that happens... has worked so far

Old
03-26-2011, 08:37 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
After all the harassment from PK and others in "the chat", happy to say I am almost 48 straight cig free, I usually cave long before that.

Chewing the NicoGum, but other than that no meds or patches.

If I can make it through tomorrow, it should be smooth sailing until next weekend.
I needed to quit a good week in advance of my 'childless' weekend (if that even happens).
keep it up dude! HG has gone 9 weeks. Wish I could say the same, but you know... Never go back its not worth the smell, the cost and the health consequences... And its the addiction that tells you 'just one.' dont bite..

Read an interesting book about quitting. One of the myths the author talks about is: "But, I enjoy it."
funny how we enjoy smoking but would never, ever encourage anyone to start it. Typically when we really enjoy something- we want people to share in our love for X,Y,Z.. well it hasnt worked for me yet.. but you know.. lol

Old
03-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
keep it up dude! HG has gone 9 weeks. Wish I could say the same, but you know... Never go back its not worth the smell, the cost and the health consequences... And its the addiction that tells you 'just one.' dont bite..

Read an interesting book about quitting. One of the myths the author talks about is: "But, I enjoy it."funny how we enjoy smoking but would never, ever encourage anyone to start it. Typically when we really enjoy something- we want people to share in our love for X,Y,Z.. well it hasnt worked for me yet.. but you know.. lol
soooo true, that was my reason for caving before so many times when quitting.
There are so many reasons to quit, the main thing for me, I'm tired of almost having a massive every time I go play soccer at lunch.

Not to mention I want to start running for cardio, and I'll need a few weeks without tar to get there.

Old
03-26-2011, 08:44 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
Read an interesting book about quitting. One of the myths the author talks about is: "But, I enjoy it."
funny how we enjoy smoking but would never, ever encourage anyone to start it. Typically when we really enjoy something- we want people to share in our love for X,Y,Z.. well it hasnt worked for me yet.. but you know.. lol
Here's an interesting experiment. They've bred (or genetically engineered, I forget wich) nicotine-free tobacco plants, and you can buy cigs made from it. Or at least you could a few years ago.

If someone truly "enjoyed" the act of smoking and wasn't simply satisfying their nicotine addiction, they'd enjoy smoking these, right? Well, I tried them one of the times I was trying to quit - didn't do a damn thing for me. It's 100% the nicotine addiction.

Old
03-26-2011, 08:59 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Here's an interesting experiment. They've bred (or genetically engineered, I forget wich) nicotine-free tobacco plants, and you can buy cigs made from it. Or at least you could a few years ago.

If someone truly "enjoyed" the act of smoking and wasn't simply satisfying their nicotine addiction, they'd enjoy smoking these, right? Well, I tried them one of the times I was trying to quit - didn't do a damn thing for me. It's 100% the nicotine addiction.
The one thing with those is that it doesn't change any of the main health concerns with smoking. Smoking those would still increase risk of lung diseases just as much as the real thing.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:08 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
Video games are no different than pissing away time watching TV.
I usually only play them while I exercise, fwiw.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
soooo true, that was my reason for caving before so many times when quitting.
There are so many reasons to quit, the main thing for me, I'm tired of almost having a massive every time I go play soccer at lunch.

Not to mention I want to start running for cardio, and I'll need a few weeks without tar to get there.
Yeah quiting is a hard, hard thing to do but keep at it. I am so glad I quit a few years back when I did. Stress @ work was one of the biggest road blocks from me quiting before I did. I found the first 3-4 days and after about 2 weeks were the hardest times for me. Get past those and you should be in good shape.

We're trying to convince my SIL to quit now but she is as stubborn as my wife (which thankfully she doesn't/never has smoked)

Old
03-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets View Post
Yeah quiting is a hard, hard thing to do but keep at it. I am so glad I quit a few years back when I did. Stress @ work was one of the biggest road blocks from me quiting before I did. I found the first 3-4 days and after about 2 weeks were the hardest times for me. Get past those and you should be in good shape.

We're trying to convince my SIL to quit now but she is as stubborn as my wife (which thankfully she doesn't/never has smoked)
I think I went as long as a week once without smoking not sure why I started again.

This time, main thing going for me is that I truly want to quit, and dont need to make excuses to keep doing it.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:28 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
The one thing with those is that it doesn't change any of the main health concerns with smoking. Smoking those would still increase risk of lung diseases just as much as the real thing.
Absolutely - I originally tried them as a possible way to help kick the nicotine addiction. Figured if I could first switch to those, then quitting those should be cake walk.

Of course, even after smoking a nicotine-free cigarette, I still wanted a "real" one just as badly as before. Completely worthless, as far as that goes. But a useful demonstration that it really is the nicotine, not the act of smoking, that causes people to keep coming back for more.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Absolutely - I originally tried them as a possible way to help kick the nicotine addiction. Figured if I could first switch to those, then quitting those should be cake walk.

Of course, even after smoking a nicotine-free cigarette, I still wanted a "real" one just as badly as before. Completely worthless, as far as that goes. But a useful demonstration that it really is the nicotine, not the act of smoking, that causes people to keep coming back for more.
Someone was talking to me today about those E-Cigarettes, I really have no clue about them, and considering the last thing I need is an actual 'cig' right now, the concept sounded interesting.

I know that come Monday, I am going to have a hard time around 10, 1 and 3, just from the normal routine of going outside for 5 minutes and catching a quick smoke.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:35 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Someone was talking to me today about those E-Cigarettes, I really have no clue about them, and considering the last thing I need is an actual 'cig' right now, the concept sounded interesting.

I know that come Monday, I am going to have a hard time around 10, 1 and 3, just from the normal routine of going outside for 5 minutes and catching a quick smoke.
You could try to change your routine: take your breaks at different times and go somewhere other than outside at those times, it might help.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:37 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:

Honestly, if it comes down to a real cig or one of those - I have to think the e-cig is the way to go.

Just don't go getting that in your head now, as a possible rationalization tool for your addiction to use against you later.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Honestly, if it comes down to a real cig or one of those - I have to think the e-cig is the way to go.

Just don't go getting that in your head now, as a possible rationalization tool for your addiction to use against you later.
oh hell no, when we were talking about it, I think I might have started drooling.
I'm sure that's the last thing I need to be doing right now.

Old
03-26-2011, 09:54 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

Quote:
You could try to change your routine: take your breaks at different times and go somewhere other than outside at those times, it might help.
las t time I had any success- thats what I did. starting biking to work- so no smoke when I drive, I had to quit drinking coffee and I'd take my 5 minute breaks- but just walk around and chew on a pine needle or something..
Quit for a year about 5 years ago and am still kicking myself for having that 'one'. uggh.
anyway- LDS.. clearly- this thread title is a cry to you for help-- its saying when are you cooking dinner for AV again...

Old
03-27-2011, 01:23 AM
aceface33

Quote:

One of my friends had one of those e-cigarettes over here the other day. He swears by it. You can smoke them in the house or wherever because it's just water vapor that comes out.

Old
03-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
One of my friends had one of those e-cigarettes over here the other day. He swears by it. You can smoke them in the house or wherever because it's just water vapor that comes out.
nicotine-laced water vapor. They are getting banned everywhere just like the real things. I'd be careful who you smoke those around just like cigarettes.

Old
03-27-2011, 08:12 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
nicotine-laced water vapor. They are getting banned everywhere just like the real things. I'd be careful who you smoke those around just like cigarettes.
A guy at work has one of those. He just walks around with it, the tip glows red, and then he puffs it out. Server room, hallways, whatever.

Old
03-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Sunday = boring

Old
03-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

My wife's best friend and her grandmother are both using them with some success so far. Neither has lit up while using it.

03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
My wife's best friend and her grandmother are both using them with some success so far. Neither has lit up while using it.
Working on the 3rd full day so far, doesnt sound like much, but after 15 years of pretty much smoking every day, seems monumental

Old
03-27-2011, 06:46 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
I noticed this a few times again this weekend, even in online news media:

The phrase "couldn't care less" is appropriate and "could care less" is not.

It's a common mishap but if you're trying to say that you have nothing left to care about, then you cannot get lower. So if you can't get lower, its 'couldn't.'

Sorry, this just makes me giggle or sigh every time I see it.

Btw, when is spring coming? Anyone...?

Old
03-27-2011, 06:59 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post

It's a common mishap but if you're trying to say that you have nothing left to care about, then you cannot get lower. So if you can't get lower, its 'couldn't.'

Sorry, this just makes me giggle or sigh every time I see it.
There's a restaurant here called "The Irregardless Cafe" that I won't go to, even though the food is supposed to be pretty good...

because of that stupid name.

Old
03-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Going to school with people who have friends at VCU is cool. I hope they pull it off.

Old
03-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post

Well, both are right.

"Couldn't care less" is technically correct.

"Could care less" was originally said in a sarcastic context, which makes sense if you think about it.

I always use the "couldn't" version, though. Fistbump.

Closed Thread