HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Review on Luc Robitaille post-playing career

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2011, 02:05 PM
  #1
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Review on Luc Robitaille post-playing career

I for one am not impressed with what he's done.

Not sure if it's all HIS doing but its starting to get old. He brings in Jeremy Roenick to have a Kings blog : FAIL. He promotes the Briggs to do a custom Rock song for the Kings : FAIL. He asks Blake to be more involved with the organization : FAIL. Now he has some Staple Center employee make a rap song? WTF is this guy doing?


His accomplishments? Well, I'm not sure . .

It's embarrassing, but what do you think?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:16 PM
  #2
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Luc Robitaille was one of my favorite players. He is a very charismatic guy.

He is in WAY over his head as the President of Business Operations

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:20 PM
  #3
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Luc Robitaille was one of my favorite players. He is a very charismatic guy.

He is in WAY over his head as the President of Business Operations
This. Give him something he can thrive at. Give him a coaching job, train him to be a GM one day, or make him a scout/head of player development. Or just have him be the face of the franchise and nothing more

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:25 PM
  #4
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,387
vCash: 500
This thread is pointless. Why do we always have to look for people in the Kings organization to bash?

Yeah a lot of the Kings promotions under Luc have been cheesy, but they've ALWAYS been cheesy, and that goes for every other team to.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:33 PM
  #5
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
This thread is pointless. Why do we always have to look for people in the Kings organization to bash?

Yeah a lot of the Kings promotions under Luc have been cheesy, but they've ALWAYS been cheesy, and that goes for every other team to.
Because I criticize Brown & Robitaille, IT INCLUDES EVERYONE IN THE ORGANIZATION?!?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:35 PM
  #6
vh2k7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 670
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Because I criticize Brown & Robitaille, IT INCLUDES EVERYONE IN THE ORGANIZATION?!?
what in the world are you talking about

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:37 PM
  #7
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k7 View Post
what in the world are you talking about
Internet forums, how does it work?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:40 PM
  #8
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,897
vCash: 500
Have you guys looked at the Kings' financial statements since Robitaille has been named business of operations? If he's increased revenue streams and improved relationships with sponsors or created new relationships and opportunities for the Kings, then he's getting the job done, and that is all that matters to his employer.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:43 PM
  #9
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Have you guys looked at the Kings' financial statements since Robitaille has been named business of operations? If he's increased revenue streams and improved relationships with sponsors or created new relationships and opportunities for the Kings, then he's getting the job done, and that is all that matters to his employer.
If that's the case, than that's great . . . reason why I want to discuss this is because I'm still confused about WHAT HE ACTUALLY does. If he works with the sponsors, than that's great . . but why is he making marketing & creative content decisions?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:49 PM
  #10
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
If that's the case, than that's great . . . reason why I want to discuss this is because I'm still confused about WHAT HE ACTUALLY does. If he works with the sponsors, than that's great . . but why is he making marketing & creative content decisions?
Heidi Androl actually comes up with a lot of the creative productions that you see on KingsVision, they also have a staff of five running marketing. I don't think some of the items you've listed came from Luc's ideas.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 02:56 PM
  #11
Pucknut50
Registered User
 
Pucknut50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Have you guys looked at the Kings' financial statements since Robitaille has been named business of operations? If he's increased revenue streams and improved relationships with sponsors or created new relationships and opportunities for the Kings, then he's getting the job done, and that is all that matters to his employer.
Ziggy Luuuuuucccccc...... Cutty shame on you, shame on you! Turn your Kings badge in at the door.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 03:36 PM
  #12
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, Nv.
Country: United States
Posts: 26,167
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I think Luc is involved with and signs off on a lot of those projects, but Ziggy is right, the bottom line is dollar and cents and sponsor relations at the end of the day. All the things we see here and are talking about are just extras of Luc's job that he works jointly with groups to create, but isn't really the creator of. I think Luc started a bit over his head, I don't know what is happening behind the scenes nowadays to be able to comment on his job performance. We will never know either as Tim won't come out and say it. Luc has a job for life in my opinion. No one else in the history of the organization that deserves it more that is not named Bob Miller.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 03:43 PM
  #13
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
He asks Blake to be more involved with the organization : FAIL.
... You misspelled WIN.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:14 PM
  #14
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Ziggy Luuuuuucccccc...... Cutty shame on you, shame on you! Turn your Kings badge in at the door.
Herp a derp breh

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:15 PM
  #15
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... You misspelled WIN.
Fivehole93 = JT Dutch

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:16 PM
  #16
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I think Luc is involved with and signs off on a lot of those projects, but Ziggy is right, the bottom line is dollar and cents and sponsor relations at the end of the day. All the things we see here and are talking about are just extras of Luc's job that he works jointly with groups to create, but isn't really the creator of. I think Luc started a bit over his head, I don't know what is happening behind the scenes nowadays to be able to comment on his job performance. We will never know either as Tim won't come out and say it. Luc has a job for life in my opinion. No one else in the history of the organization that deserves it more that is not named Bob Miller.
I still really have no idea what Luc does on a day to day basis but he seems to be involved in lots of projects because of his friendship with people . . which is always a bad thing IMO

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:21 PM
  #17
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, Nv.
Country: United States
Posts: 26,167
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
I still really have no idea what Luc does on a day to day basis but he seems to be involved in lots of projects because of his friendship with people . . which is always a bad thing IMO
Perhaps, but he can't really hurt things much where he is at. The organization, in the grand scheme of things, is mostly on autopilot. The fanbase is established, the sponsors are set, and the money is coming it regardless of Tim's "revenue" numbers. We get hockey fest at least It hasn't been all bad, and Luc deserves to be in the organization. All the things he works on that we as fans see is fluff anyways. All that matters is the product on the ice.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:26 PM
  #18
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,983
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Perhaps, but he can't really hurt things much where he is at. The organization, in the grand scheme of things, is mostly on autopilot. The fanbase is established, the sponsors are set, and the money is coming it regardless of Tim's "revenue" numbers. We get hockey fest at least It hasn't been all bad, and Luc deserves to be in the organization. All the things he works on that we as fans see is fluff anyways. All that matters is the product on the ice.
ABSOLUTELY, don't get me wrong . . I want him involved in with the Kings but these little side projects just end up being lame and/or offending fans. I'm sorry but the JR Blog experiment was a train-wreck and these band choices that are supposed to bring identity to the Kings just end up being cheesy . . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 07:35 PM
  #19
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, Nv.
Country: United States
Posts: 26,167
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
ABSOLUTELY, don't get me wrong . . I want him involved in with the Kings but these little side projects just end up being lame and/or offending fans. I'm sorry but the JR Blog experiment was a train-wreck and these band choices that are supposed to bring identity to the Kings just end up being cheesy . . .
I agree with you there that they are lame and bad, but Luc is on a different perspective than us having known and played with those guys. He is on the other side of the fence and isn't a fan, but someone who actually lives it. Can't blame him for trying to get his friends in on the action. However misguided the gesture may have been

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 08:27 PM
  #20
onlyalad
Registered User
 
onlyalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,278
vCash: 500
I have spent a day with Luc at work. I won a contest. Now I know that I didn't see a lot of what he does but we did talk about it. He is involved at many levels of the Kings. He showed me videos he had input on for some of the minor league teams. He works with people on everything from fonts and watermarks on stationary to Fan Fest to bringing back the history of the team (Legend Nights and Alumni stuff). He has made some mistakes but he has a love for the team and the fans. Sure he does a lot of hand shaking but in LA if you want the team on the news you need star power. He has no input on players or the team. His job is branding the team and making sure the people know the team. He can't make them win but he can try to make sure when they do win, people know.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:27 PM
  #21
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!
 
FrozenKing18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: So Cal
Country: United States
Posts: 5,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
He promotes the Briggs to do a custom Rock song for the Kings : FAIL.
I love "This is LA". Thats a WIN.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:25 PM
  #22
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
I have spent a day with Luc at work. I won a contest. Now I know that I didn't see a lot of what he does but we did talk about it. He is involved at many levels of the Kings. He showed me videos he had input on for some of the minor league teams. He works with people on everything from fonts and watermarks on stationary to Fan Fest to bringing back the history of the team (Legend Nights and Alumni stuff). He has made some mistakes but he has a love for the team and the fans. Sure he does a lot of hand shaking but in LA if you want the team on the news you need star power. He has no input on players or the team. His job is branding the team and making sure the people know the team. He can't make them win but he can try to make sure when they do win, people know.
That's all well and good, but that's only a small portion of what the President of Business Operations is supposed to be responsible for. To the best of my knowledge, he has no formal business education. I don't think that he ever went to college - did he even graduate from high school?

Call him the Ambassador or the Head of Promotions and Community Relations, but Business Operations?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:31 PM
  #23
KillerKampfer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lake Titicaca
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
I have spent a day with Luc at work. I won a contest. Now I know that I didn't see a lot of what he does but we did talk about it. He is involved at many levels of the Kings. He showed me videos he had input on for some of the minor league teams. He works with people on everything from fonts and watermarks on stationary to Fan Fest to bringing back the history of the team (Legend Nights and Alumni stuff). He has made some mistakes but he has a love for the team and the fans. Sure he does a lot of hand shaking but in LA if you want the team on the news you need star power. He has no input on players or the team. His job is branding the team and making sure the people know the team. He can't make them win but he can try to make sure when they do win, people know.
+1.

I bought myself a pair of season tickets to the Kings this week for when Im out next year (I am sorry I brought about the Williams and Kopitar injuries) and thought it was awesome to see the email from him. This guy is huge for promoting the Kings and building the brand name. Its not like you want Wayne to come to So Cal and work the magic he did in Phoenix now do you?

Sadly its more of an uphill battle than needs to be for him to build the kings name brand. First off they need to bring back the Gretzky era late 80s/early90s black silver and white and Chevy logo. The Kings had a national following wearing those uniforms. BUt when I saw a question on LAKINGSINSIDER about what the jersey should be this wasnt even an option.

Reading Kings fans opinions it became clear that there were too many people who either a. hated black people and thus associated it with gangster rap since they all the rappers from Cali loved that kings logo or b. hate the raiders.

Get over it one of the best players on the team is black and the raiders play in oakland now. The Kings had the best and most bad ass logo and uniforms in the NHL and gave them up to wear purple so they could be more like thier local rivals who were named after a disney movie and had a cartoon logo. Great...

Where the freak do you go when people insist Purple is kept as a primary color just for bigoted reasons? If the Kings lifted a Cup wearing purple with Dionne thats one thing but the team was the most successful ever wearing those uniforms and was a national brand name.

You bring back the Gretzky era uniforms and relegate anything purple to third uniform I guarantee Doughty and Kopitars jerseys are top 10 sellers on NHL.com. But this isnt even an option to Kings fans and its sad. Ive always liked the Kings but my demand for Kings merch to wear around is only for the chevy logo stuff.

Robataille may be being asked to wear too many hats but until he names himself the coach he is not doing anything detrimental and is a great asset to the organization.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:56 PM
  #24
Defgarden
Registered User
 
Defgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
All that matters is the stanley cup.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:57 PM
  #25
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown
 
KingsKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
I for one am not impressed with what he's done.

Not sure if it's all HIS doing but its starting to get old. He brings in Jeremy Roenick to have a Kings blog : FAIL. He promotes the Briggs to do a custom Rock song for the Kings : FAIL. He asks Blake to be more involved with the organization : FAIL. Now he has some Staple Center employee make a rap song? WTF is this guy doing?


His accomplishments? Well, I'm not sure . .

It's embarrassing, but what do you think?
...
I still really have no idea what Luc does on a day to day basis but he seems to be involved in lots of projects because of his friendship with people . . which is always a bad thing IMO
If you don't really know what he does, then why are you calling him out on his job. I doubt you'd want someone criticizing your job and calling it a "fail" before really looking in to what you do.

I also don't think the Briggs song was a fail. It got the crowd going during the playoffs.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.