HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

We don't need no stinkin GDT. (Was@Mon, 3/26/11)

Old
03-26-2011, 09:47 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

vCash: 500
Guys, CBJ fan in peace. I am a fan of the Caps as well (man crush for Carlson, Varlamov, Neuvirth , Holtby, Alzner, Kuznetsov etc) and I come with a question.

Who will be the number one goalie for the playoffs? Varly because of his recent success in the postseason? Neuvirth for his NA success in the playoffs? Holtby becuase he is hot right now?

Also, do you think the Caps will trade Varly/Neuvy/Holtby in the offseason? If so, who and why?

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:54 PM
WingmanCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Guys, CBJ fan in peace. I am a fan of the Caps as well (man crush for Carlson, Varlamov, Neuvirth , Holtby, Alzner, Kuznetsov etc) and I come with a question.

Who will be the number one goalie for the playoffs? Varly because of his recent success in the postseason? Neuvirth for his NA success in the playoffs? Holtby becuase he is hot right now?

Also, do you think the Caps will trade Varly/Neuvy/Holtby in the offseason? If so, who and why?
Conventional wisdom says it will be Neuvirth. He's been consistent money all year. Bruce has said he might split games between goalies, but he says that every year and it's pretty much a lie. But nobody knows for sure.

As for trading one of them, nooooooooooooooooo. The only scenario in which I can imagine that happening would be if Varly refused to sign an offer sheet, and the Caps best move would be to trade his negotiating rights. But barring that unlikely and extreme circumstance, given George McPhee's history with regards to trading away young talent, you'd have to pry these goalies out of his cold, lifeless fingers.

WingmanCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Capsman

Quote:

My guess is that Neuvy starts and Varlamov backs him up. Then if Varly comes in and is successful he finishes the playoffs. This of course is barring injury. Otherwise I really don't anticipate Holtby playing in the playoffs. He is young, inexperienced, and a bad performance could ruin his confident psyche.

No, I don't think we trade any of them in the offseason. For what? At this point I don't think any of them brings equal value back and there is no hurry. I think the Caps still want to seem if Varly overcomes his injury issues. If they're traded, my guess is it will be during next year's season.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:

DO YOU WANT THE WINNING LOTTERY NUMBERS TOO?!?!

I keeeed I keeed.

As it stands Holtby is waiver exempt for 2 more years so barring an unbelievable return, injury or contract impasse, Holtby will get his time in Hershey as there is no reason not to.

He is proving to make that decision a rather difficult one I must say but until GMGM HAS to move one he won't.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:16 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
when was the last time a team used three goalies in the playoffs

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:19 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
when was the last time a team used three goalies in the playoffs
Edmonton, 05-06. Roloson, Conklin, Markkanen, although Conklin only got 1 start.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:27 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

well if neuvy stumbles Varly is still the number 2 Id say. But he did lose last night and Bruces playoff G moves have been bold in the past. Injuries are in the mix around here and it cant be denied.

Our three young goalies are just that, none are heads and shoulders above the rest. I for one wouldnt mind if Bruce ends up trying all 3 if he feels he wants better. Bruce is the leader.

Old
03-26-2011, 10:33 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Good stuff.

Love this team.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

If I had to guess, Holtby is their guy, long term. They will also let Holtby stay in the minors as long as possible while waiting to figure out which of Neuvirth or Varlamov to keep.

X factor: This summer, Varlamov might flee for the KHL, which would solve the problem, in a way, for the Caps. Another way to look at it is that they need to make a decision now, knowing that he may not stick around since he definitely has a KHL option.

Short version: We do not know.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:13 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Thanks for the replies guys. Go Caps.

Old
03-26-2011, 11:22 PM
LetsGoBears

Funny you memtion prying young talent out of GMGM's hand and its a CBJ fan you're talking to. (Lepisto for a 5th and he is an everyday 2nd or 3rd pairing player)

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 11:37 PM
artilector

Yawn.. a content yawn.

Glad to see Backstrom, Semin and Sturm get the points. Still want to see more out of Backstrom and Semin.. just seems like they're too understated when they're together.. I guess they got it done today, though. But at this point I'm feeling like Ovi, Backstrom and Semin have to all be on different lines. Whenever any two of them are together, the total energy output of the line seems to drop below some sort of threshold where the skill can no longer make a difference consistently. Each of them seems to need to be surrounded by players who have a high speed*size*workRate factor. Give Ovi some fast hard-working guys, give Backstrom some smart hard-working guys, give Semin some big hard-working guys with decent hands. Then sit back, ????, profit.

I think Sturm will only be useful with skilled players, if at all. Otherwise, he's reduced to like a smaller, slower Chimera. So if he can get it going a little bit, would be nice to see a productive Sturm-Arnott-Semin back together, and Laich as part of a kick-ass 3rd line, hopefully with Backstrom.

Mojo seems like a waste on the 3rd line. He doesn't quite (yet) have the size and skill to turn grinders into snipers (maybe Backstrom does?) Substitute Laich for MJ on the 3rd line, or maybe even a guy like Gordon, you won't miss a beat at this point, except for maybe a goal here and there once in a while. On the other hand with Ovi, MJ looks as good as anybody. I keep thinking, if only Backstrom has what it takes to elevate the game of complementary players like Fehr, Laich, Knuble, the Caps' three lines will potentially kick a lot of azz.

Just glanced at the standings and accidentally noticed that the Caps have scored fewer goals than the crippled, charcoal-collar, salary-floor Islanders. WTF?! I mean, ok, whatever works, but... W T F? What kind of parallel universe is this?

The goalie problem is funny. All three guys are potentially so good, that we're gonna grumble regardless of who they end up letting go. Can we cryogenically freeze Varlamov for a decade or two? Yes, maybe orthopedic science will make a significant advance by then..

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:15 AM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Good stuff.

Love this team.
Great to see Backstrom playing with confidence and authority. I say unleash Backstrom during the playoffs, keep him off OV's line and stick him with Semin:

1st: 8 90 22
2nd: 28 19 21

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:44 AM
Roccoman

great road game on the tail end of a back/back.

my only (minor) complaint would be not hitting the Habs early and often - i realize as the game went on the refs were just looking for reasons to put Montreal a man up so they played it smart...

really glad to see Sturm get something going and a nice game by Nicky... Artilector, i kinda agree with you about the "cute" play of the top players together but... i dont see BB splitting all 3 up in the playoffs.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 07:36 AM
tycoonheart

Yep, great game. That was an excellent game plan from Bruce.

Montreal is struggling right now.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:23 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

"Shutout? No big deal, look what else I can do."

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:38 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Hackey Puck.

I wonder how much Varly's agent liked the last two games

Old
03-27-2011, 10:10 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

8 of 12 points from that road trip is about as much as we could have hoped for. 8 of the next 12 clinches the division. Do that and get everyone as healthy as possible.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post

"Shutout? No big deal, look what else I can do."
He will score a goal, it's just a matter of time.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 01:20 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Funny you memtion prying young talent out of GMGM's hand and its a CBJ fan you're talking to. (Lepisto for a 5th and he is an everyday 2nd or 3rd pairing player)
I didn't mean the Jackets pick up any of the three goalies (although I'd love that.) our GM is too conservative to do that. I did it because I like all 3 and want to know what their futures are in Washington.