HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Jonathan Blum 2012-2013?

Old
06-16-2012, 07:39 AM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

vCash: 500
Jonathan Blum 2012-2013?

What kind of season and role to you think he will play next season. Think he will be in the AHL?

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:09 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
What kind of season and role to you think he will play next season. Think he will be in the AHL?
It will all depend on him regaining the confidence and drive that he had as a rookie. If he can do that, he will make the preds roster out of camp and likely never see the minors again. Hopefully he spends the summer refocusing and shows up to camp with a chip on his shoulder. Whether he would be second pair or third would largely depend on suter. With suter the second pair would probably be Klein-Josi. Without suter and without a high end ufa replacement, weber-josi would be the top pair and klein and blum the second

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:30 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I'm just in a wait and see mode. He was very impressive his first stint, but last year he looked awful. Hopefully he gets his act together.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:40 PM
maplepred

Agreed if suter goes Josi-weber is top pairing, but I think second pairing is Ellis-Klein for sure. Ellis has shown more recently than Blum and has way more potential. Blum is third pairing no matter what IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
It will all depend on him regaining the confidence and drive that he had as a rookie. If he can do that, he will make the preds roster out of camp and likely never see the minors again. Hopefully he spends the summer refocusing and shows up to camp with a chip on his shoulder. Whether he would be second pair or third would largely depend on suter. With suter the second pair would probably be Klein-Josi. Without suter and without a high end ufa replacement, weber-josi would be the top pair and klein and blum the second

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Legionnaire11

I think Blum is second pair ahead of Ellis if he's got his head on straight next season. If Ellis is skating on the second unit, it's going to be a long and painful season for the Preds.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:39 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I think Blum is second pair ahead of Ellis if he's got his head on straight next season. If Ellis is skating on the second unit, it's going to be a long and painful season for the Preds.
bingo.

ellis on the second pair spells disaster.

weber josi
klein UFA
blum ekholm?/jaarvinen

id put ellis in milwaukee.. he needs to add some size

blum is an NHL defenseman when he wants to be. lets hope he wants to be...

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I think Blum is a 90% lock to be at least a 3rd pairing guy next year, and has a 40% shot at pair 2 depending on our UFA signings/trades. In the end, I think Blum ends up a solid, 2 way 2nd pairing defender, while Ellis is, ideally, an top level 3rd pairing player and an elite, 1st PP guy.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:47 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
I honestly don't expect him to stay in the Nashville system.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:13 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
I honestly don't expect him to stay in the Nashville system.
well, that may happen but i don't think it does any time soon... right now his trade value is crap, and so it makes more sense to hang on to him and see if he improves... if he does, then we need to keep him not trade him... if he doesn't, he won't fetch much and so he might as well stay in milwaukee

Old
06-17-2012, 07:23 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

He's an RFA, I'm not saying we're trading him... I'm saying that I don't think he re-signs in Nashville.

Old
06-17-2012, 07:39 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
He's an RFA, I'm not saying we're trading him... I'm saying that I don't think he re-signs in Nashville.
I can't imagine anyone offer sheeting him, and poile will qualify him so that would only leave playing overseas as an option

Old
06-17-2012, 08:02 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

I'm seriously having brain cramps this morning.. that's right...

Old
06-17-2012, 06:59 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
well, that may happen but i don't think it does any time soon... right now his trade value is crap, and so it makes more sense to hang on to him and see if he improves... if he does, then we need to keep him not trade him... if he doesn't, he won't fetch much and so he might as well stay in milwaukee
Blum has to decide what kind of player that he wants to be. Hard working and smart, he goes back to the NHL. Lazy and stupid, he plays in Milwaukee until his contract is up and then the Admirals won't sign him to an AHL contract. During his last game this year he received 2 boarding penalties in the first 5 minutes and put the Admirals in a hole on the road, down 0 games to 2 in a best of 5. None of that is smart hockey!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:00 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

With Suter moving on is Blum pretty much a lock for Nashville roster this season?

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
With Suter moving on is Blum pretty much a lock for Nashville roster this season?
Yes imo.

Weber / Josi
Klein / Blum
Ellis / Gill

Ellis and Gill have highly complementary play styles and that pairing may actually be fairly solid. I have a feeling Klein / Blum would float between decent and infuriating most of the season, but we'll see. Ekholm can fill in for injuries or if Ellis / Blum is just totally messing the bed. Multiple injuries at the blueline next year would be a disaster; as-is I feel like only 4 of our starting 6 are real NHL defenseman, and that might actually be a bit generous but I think Josi deserves it.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:37 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Unless another move is made (besides a 7th), then I don't believe we have a choice at this point. Ekholm needs a year on NA ice.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:25 PM
MrJoshua

The progress (or lack thereof) of Blum is probably going to be one of the biggest make-or-break questions for the Preds this year. The defense as a whole could really be part of that discussion. There are some sizable question marks on D. But if everyone plays up to their potential they should be a solid defensive group. It will definitely be something to watch going into the season.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:42 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Unless another move is made (besides a 7th), then I don't believe we have a choice at this point. Ekholm needs a year on NA ice.
Ekholm almost made the roster last season.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Ekholm will start in Milwaukee unless he blows the competition away at camp. Last season he started with the Predators because his SEL held a recall clause on his contract and the second he was going to be assigned to the AHL they had already declared they were going to invoke it.

After the Vancouver game it was over. Ekholm clearly didn't have the confidence of the coaching staff to go out there and learn the game on the fly and wasn't part of the solution.

Hopefully he takes this year to acclimate himself with the North American game and earns his way back into the NHL by season's end.

I do think he finishes the season in the NHL, but doesn't start here this season...

As for Blum, I'm a bit baffled by him still being unsigned. I believe he is definite trade bait, but really don't believe he holds that much value right now on the trade market either. Until the Preds acquire another defenseman a spot his Blum's to lose on the blueline for next season. There is no way he's sent down on waivers...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 07:18 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
As for Blum, I'm a bit baffled by him still being unsigned. I believe he is definite trade bait, but really don't believe he holds that much value right now on the trade market either. Until the Preds acquire another defenseman a spot his Blum's to lose on the blueline for next season. There is no way he's sent down on waivers...
Is Blum subject to waivers?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 07:21 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
And got publicly cut down for his play. He's going to have to really impress to even be in the discussion of being in the second pairing.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:29 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I think not. I think him assuming he had "made it" is what got him in trouble last year.

If the same lazy/disinterested Blum from last year shows up at camp he will be passed by Ekholm or one of the other hungry younger players.. (edit: if Blum is subject to waivers then he will be kept as a #7 or even #8 defenseman but wont play... much like Klein a few years ago)

that said, an article recently stated that Blum is already in nashville working on strength and conditioning so I am hopeful that he shows up determined and ready to regain his spot..