HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Get Shutout Again...

Old
03-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Craig71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
How is Tampa doing right now? 2 victories in 11 games. They have the same problem as the Habs, soff.
I agree, they also have 3 star players which is supposed to be our problem, they have big players as well which is also another problem that we have. It's hockey and slumps go through every team. Washington lost 8 straight earlier this season. It will turn around mark my word.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:53 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I missed the whole game
Appears i didnt miss anything
You must have been the driving the bus that was transporting the team. Appears they missed the game also.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:54 PM
sheed36

Even though the Habs played 3 games this week is it considered a week off since only a couple of guys showed up and played? They should be well rested for next week anyway..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:57 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherbrookeW View Post
Anyone who thinks that the trouble is "toughness" or size knows nothing about hockey. The trouble, obviously, is scoring, and the larger problem is that the Habs have been simply giving away gifted -- and mostly smaller players -- who happen to be able to score. (Grabovski, Kosty Jr.) The reason that the B's beat us is not because they are tougher; it's because they actually happen to have more skilled players right now. The notion that the Habs need to draft more big, tough North American kids is insane-- that's exactly who they have been drafting, year in and year out, for a quarter century. Look at the first round picks! The Habs used to beat the Bruins (and everyone else) with skill and speed and did it for a century-- no reason on earth to go away from that now. And anyone who thinks the problem is Quebecois nationalism is way off base. In fact, if the Habs had taken only the best available Quebec players (and signed the best available QUebec free-agents) over the same span of time, they'd be far better off than they are right now. Claude Giroux? Martin St. Louis? Please....
1. size is a problem, not enough forwards to screen goalies, when you send Gionta in front to screen a goalie while other teams have names like Lucic, Carter, Gaustad, Neil... You have issues!
2. When your own D is so soft they can't block out those same players...You have issues!
3. When a team can cycle in your own end at will and you can't get the puck away...You have issues!
4. when you can't win one on one battles in any zone, because you give away 4-5 inches and 20-30 lbs...You have issues!

the big teams are also skilled... They can play a team like the Habs many ways... We are one dimensional, and it's obvious for many many years!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:57 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherbrookeW View Post
Anyone who thinks that the trouble is "toughness" or size knows nothing about hockey. The trouble, obviously, is scoring, and the larger problem is that the Habs have been simply giving away gifted -- and mostly smaller players -- who happen to be able to score. (Grabovski, Kosty Jr.) The reason that the B's beat us is not because they are tougher; it's because they actually happen to have more skilled players right now. The notion that the Habs need to draft more big, tough North American kids is insane-- that's exactly who they have been drafting, year in and year out, for a quarter century. Look at the first round picks! The Habs used to beat the Bruins (and everyone else) with skill and speed and did it for a century-- no reason on earth to go away from that now. And anyone who thinks the problem is Quebecois nationalism is way off base. In fact, if the Habs had taken only the best available Quebec players (and signed the best available QUebec free-agents) over the same span of time, they'd be far better off than they are right now. Claude Giroux? Martin St. Louis? Please....
Toughness is going to the front of the net to get the dirty goals,screening/getting rebounds.Actually Mr Expert,we are 4-6 vs. the B's the last 10 playoff meetings. We are too small,but especially too soft and scared. Small forwards get hurt. And so do old,slow d-men. We could have kept Grabs,Kosts jr and Ribs,for a much cheaper price than the "three amigos" and used that 18 million too address our real needs: A big tough power forward,and some tough,talented d-men.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 09:59 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I agree, they also have 3 star players which is supposed to be our problem, they have big players as well which is also another problem that we have. It's hockey and slumps go through every team. Washington lost 8 straight earlier this season. It will turn around mark my word.
They have no goalies,are young and were way down in the standings last year,they are big,but very soft.not Montreal soft,bnut close to it. they are also 4 pts ahead of us

Old
03-26-2011, 10:00 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, When will they fire this coach!
MArtin is horrible!

He had a line that worked well in Moen Eller Kostitysn and he dismantled it, He chased Sergei Kostitsyn of of town (20 goals with the Predators) with suffocating style of hockey.

He's got some creative players at his disposal and he's forcing them to play the trap!

It would almost be worth Montreal missing the payoffs if it meant Martin would get fired!
is even more than that, it is about all the bad trades made by gainey and gauthier, is about getting rid of players "who didn't fit in their system", is about bad coaching, is about giving big contracts to players who didn't deserve it, is about overplaying players until they colapse of the end of the season, is about having a team of dwarfs who can defend...

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:02 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
You must have been the driving the bus that was transporting the team. Appears they missed the game also.
Sorry bro
Thought the game was in toronto tonight

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
1. size is a problem, not enough forwards to screen goalies, when you send Gionta in front to screen a goalie while other teams have names like Lucic, Carter, Gaustad, Neil... You have issues!
2. When your own D is so soft they can't block out those same players...You have issues!
3. When a team can cycle in your own end at will and you can't get the puck away...You have issues!
4. when you can't win one on one battles in any zone, because you give away 4-5 inches and 20-30 lbs...You have issues!

the big teams are also skilled... They can play a team like the Habs many ways... We are one dimensional, and it's obvious for many many years!
Hopefully Nattinen can be 1. brought back to North America in time for the next season and 2. developed properly in Hamilton so that he can see NHL time next year.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Et le But

Every team has gone through slumps like this except Vancouver. Remember how bad we were in December and how good we were after that? The timing is awful but we just got to hope they get it sooner rather than later.

This doesn't mean the team needs to be blown up, as flawed as it is.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:09 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Every team has gone through slumps like this except Vancouver. Remember how bad we were in December and how good we were after that? The timing is awful but we just got to hope they get it sooner rather than later.

We can't blow it up bc we have 5 or 6 contracts that no sane gm will touch,unless BG gets hired by another team. the best we can do is improve on our older journey men and our bottom 6.

Old
03-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:

Just tweaked so we can finally have some physicality in the top 6.

Old
03-26-2011, 10:17 PM
deandebean

Quote:

Not scoring in the NHL for THREE COMPLETE GAMES is not a slump. It hasn't happen in 60 years. 60 YEARS for this franchise. That's more years than 95% of the posters here. I say that only McPhee was witness to the 49 debacle.

It is obvious to me that some players are just not competing.

deandebean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Gainey#1*

I think having a 4th line built on size, energy and toughness would do wonders for this team.

We don't have a line capable of hitting and creating a for check to change the momentum of the game.

A 4th line of Conboy-White-Schultz would be awesome to watch, assuming they can maintain their responsibility in the defensive zone.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Dekar

I'll be hard-pressed to blame one more loss after this on Plekanec/Halpern/Sopel's rusty returns.

I looked online and couldn't find records for longest goalless drought for any team. Any findings by anyone else on this matter?

Quote:

As always, a team is never as bad as it is at its worst, and never as good as it is at its best. Right now, we're seeing the worst, but we're much better than this. I'm not giving up hope until we've played our definitely final game of this season, playoffs or not.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:23 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
we were pretty much the hottest team in the league, then Pac gets hurt and we go to some of the poorest play in the history on the NHL.
This is true. We had won 5 in a row I think. The Rags have gained 9, yes NINE, points on us in the last ten games, to tie us for 6th.

Epic collapse. I'm shocked by it.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Gionta and Eller (maybe Price as well) are the only more or less meh things about that game.

Old
03-26-2011, 10:37 PM
RE-HABS

Not happy about the loss. Not happy about the poor play. The bad passing. The lack of effort.

But.

What kills me is in a losing game where we haven't scored in three games, Gomez is the only player on the bench laughing with less than 5 minutes to play!

Jacques Martin calls a timeout and his Assistant Coach Muller is running the timeout and the team, the guy shows no emotion and doesn't Coach. The same time the Caps bench it is Boudreau talking to the team, every team that calls a timeout it is the head coach coaching...at one point they showed Martin looking down at his damn shoes...what the hell???

This is not looking bad, it is looking pretty damn pitiful!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Kosti46

No guts....no glory.

Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Not happy about the loss. Not happy about the poor play. The bad passing. The lack of effort.

But.

What kills me is in a losing game where we haven't scored in three games, Gomez is the only player on the bench laughing with less than 5 minutes to play!

Jacques Martin calls a timeout and his Assistant Coach Muller is running the timeout and the team, the guy shows no emotion and doesn't Coach. The same time the Caps bench it is Boudreau talking to the team, every team that calls a timeout it is the head coach coaching...at one point they showed Martin looking down at his damn shoes...what the hell???

Damn straight, "what the hell?" indeed.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post

But.

I've never seen Martin giving his players an encouragement tap on the back or cheering his players. There's barely communication between and his players during a game. Muller looks a lot more like the coach of this team than Martin. I'm pretty sure the players like Muller more than Martin.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:49 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Darkest week in Habs history.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:52 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Just tweaked so we can finally have some physicality in the top 6.
we could sign upshall h

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Same ****, different channel....the more things change, the more they stay the same.

This team will be barely make the playoffs, maybe steal 1 round on Price's back.......maybe 2 by some miracle and all will be forgiven until next year, when everything will somehow magically be better.

This team as it is will never compete for the Cup. Skilled, yes, gritty, no.

This team couldn't grind out a win, if their lives depended on it....or their playoff hopes for that matter.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:57 PM
LastRide

I wonder if the Habs will have a post game reaction. They ran for the hills after the Boston game. Looks like the did have one. I thought they would chicken out again.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote