HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Long-term #1 goalie for WAS?

View Poll Results: Long-term #1 goalie for WAS?
Varlamov 18 17.48%
Neuvirth 33 32.04%
Holtby 52 50.49%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the last two games for varly are just like his game vs montreal last season. it was not the number of goals he gave up, but the type and timing of those goals. in the final three games, he could have stopped each of the goals allowed and has with regularity. when it counted he didnt. and when it happened was at the worst times.

v ottawa the first goal was not on him and it was just one goal. the second goal came in the 3rd period and was a shot he should have had. it was a back breaker. the tying goal last night was a shot he should have had and took the wind out of their sails.

if the caps match up with the rangers, goals like that will send them to the golf course.
I don't disagree with you in any way but after not playing for over a month I don't think he can be expected to walk right back in with his A game, or even likely his B game IMO. Obviously the timing isn't great with the Caps only having 5 games left and Neuvirth needing I would guess at least 3 of those to stay sharp but if Varlamov gets 2 more starts I think there is time for him to show Boudreau he is ready for the playoffs though probably not to earn the game 1 start unless Neuvirth's game really falls off a cliff over these last few games.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:02 AM
txpd

when varly was injured in december he missed a little over two weeks. he came back from that injury with his best stretch of the season. 3-2 at carolina, 3-0 shutout of Montreal, the 3-1 win at the WC and the 1-0 OTL vs Tampa Bay. He followed that with a 3-2 win vs Florida. Since then he is 3-8(3OTL's). His results have not been good at all.

just by contrast Neuvirth is 9-4 and Holtby is 6-0. 15-4 vs 3-8. Its concerning.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
His results have not been good at all.
From a W/L perspective it hasn't but his GAA/SV% numbers are more than adequate. He's just received terrible offensive support for whatever reason.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:44 AM
txpd

some of it is poor goal support. on the other hand he only gave up 2 goals in these last two games and so statistically he is fine. but watching those games the 2nd goal in each game he should have had hurt his cause greater than what a 2 gaa effort would seem to on the surface.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:04 PM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
I voted Holtby.

Neuvirth has been very consistent. I would have no problem if he ended up being our #1. But I see him with the least potential of the 3, and the one who is closest to reaching it already. He tends to give up rebounds a bit more than the other two.

Varly isn't nearly as consistent as Neuvirth, but when he is on, he is ON. He can literally steal a series. His problem, as many have already stated, is staying healthy. And, IMO, it's gotten to a point where it's become a serious concern.

Holtby is bigger and fills the goal a lot better. He also has a MUCH better stickhandling and passing skills than the other two... I love some of those stretch passes he fires off. He's really quirky, and that entertains me a bit. Honestly, he reminds me of Kolzig, but with a better stick.

DaleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:13 PM
txpd

here's the thing. neuvirth is pretty much a known quantity. what you see is what you get. there aren't a lot of variables. he may improve some, but that will come in the context of what he is.

varly is erratic in part because he is just unreliable based on his health. you can't count on him nor is his "A" game consistantly on display. that my be in part because of his lack of consistant availability to play.

holtby is still an unknown quantity. when the nhl sees him enough to game plan him are they going to find a big hole in his game or personality that they can take advantage of?
while he may well get better, he may also be exposed. only time can tell there.

I think if Neuvirth had a basic weakness he would have been exposed by now.

In the end its actual performance that matters, not potential. As of right now Varly and Braden have more to prove than Neuvirth

Old
03-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Millhaus

I didn't vote as IMO Holtby doesn't have close to a large enough body of work to even begin to judge accurately. If I had to pick between the other two I would choose Neuvirth as I have very little confidence in Varlamov's ability to stay healthy enough to be a number 1 goaltender at this point in time.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:41 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I didn't vote as IMO Holtby doesn't have close to a large enough body of work to even begin to judge accurately. If I had to pick between the other two I would choose Neuvirth as I have very little confidence in Varlamov's ability to stay healthy enough to be a number 1 goaltender at this point in time.
This...for me as well. Holtby though is showing some really nice signs of high potential but we've all seen young goalies come into the league and have a good couple of years before they rapidly decline as holes are found in their game or a failure/lack of ability for them to adjust (Jim Carey says hi!).

03-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter View Post
Holtby is bigger and fills the goal a lot better. He also has a MUCH better stickhandling and passing skills than the other two... I love some of those stretch passes he fires off. He's really quirky, and that entertains me a bit. Honestly, he reminds me of Kolzig, but with a better stick.
Really? He must seriously amp up his game in DC, because his stickhandling and passing at the AHL level is absolutely frightening. He's had "primary assists" on several opposing goals this season, and at times I wonder if he and his defensemen are speaking the same language out there.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 04:44 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Really? He must seriously amp up his game in DC, because his stickhandling and passing at the AHL level is absolutely frightening. He's had "primary assists" on several opposing goals this season, and at times I wonder if he and his defensemen are speaking the same language out there.
His stickhandling is clearly an asset. He probably overdoes it in Hershey. Boudreau was on him immediately when he came up and he's done a good job being selective.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:13 PM
txpd

lets be honest. its an asset when used correctly. its a shot in the foot when its not. he has put one in his own net in the NHL(montreal) with a stupid attempt that the average goalie wouldnt have messed with.

he has dangled the puck infront of his own net with opposing players so far without damage, but i wouldnt want to first time that bites him to be at a bad time.

as long as he doesnt kill them with a critical gaffe i am fine with it. but once the better players in the game know he dangles the puck standing at the top of his crease and a poke check is a goal, he'll get burned.

lets look at this another way. mike green and alex semin have skills that you wish they wouldnt use so frequently against their own team. this kid has the potential to be just like them unless he is brought up the right way. so before you get all excited after 14 games, just wait and see how it works out.

Old
03-31-2011, 08:46 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
lets be honest. its an asset when used correctly. its a shot in the foot when its not. he has put one in his own net in the NHL(montreal) with a stupid attempt that the average goalie wouldnt have messed with.

he has dangled the puck infront of his own net with opposing players so far without damage, but i wouldnt want to first time that bites him to be at a bad time.

as long as he doesnt kill them with a critical gaffe i am fine with it. but once the better players in the game know he dangles the puck standing at the top of his crease and a poke check is a goal, he'll get burned.

lets look at this another way. mike green and alex semin have skills that you wish they wouldnt use so frequently against their own team. this kid has the potential to be just like them unless he is brought up the right way. so before you get all excited after 14 games, just wait and see how it works out.
Completely on board with this opinion. His wandering out of the net to play the puck and poor decision making with the puck has cost them or nearly cost them several times this season. Also that risk taking and subsequent mistakes seems to get more frequent the more games he plays in a row.

It easily could be a concentration issue and the coaches staying on him to pick his spots as he develops can likely limit those gaffs in the future but at the same time teams are going to build more of a book on him as time goes on and look to put him in positions where he may make those mistakes.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:36 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Hextall wandering got us a free goal over the years. but he also scored on us IIRC. So I think a goalie that handles the puck aggressively is a push. He will get burned on bad reads but he will also help the D and offense once he gets comfortable working with them. Same thing with net play, he will prevent some screens but will also allow a goal punching a crease violator. Even Steven. I am glad George drafted a handler to have in the competition.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:07 AM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
The stick skills are absolutely there. The decision-making skills required to use them correctly are still developing.

In comparison, I don't think I've ever seen Varly or Neuvy do anything more than simply "stop" the dump behind the goal and leave it for their defenseman to pick up. They rarely even come out to grab long dumps during our PP, and if they do, it's merely to stop the puck and leave it sitting there for our defenseman/pointman.

DaleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:03 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Hextall wandering got us a free goal over the years. but he also scored on us IIRC. So I think a goalie that handles the puck aggressively is a push. He will get burned on bad reads but he will also help the D and offense once he gets comfortable working with them. Same thing with net play, he will prevent some screens but will also allow a goal punching a crease violator. Even Steven. I am glad George drafted a handler to have in the competition.
here's the thing with holtby. the puck handling can be a great advantage as with broduer particularly if they do away with the trapezoid. his stick play(slashing) can be kolzigesque(generally a good thing) or like anything else penalty related can kill you.

is this a calculating slasher or an emotional slasher? i am sure there are many bolts fans that loved watch roloson pounding on hendricks but in the end it doomed them because he doesnt play well angry. does holtby? maybe so.

neuvirth apparantly plays his best when angry, but you would never know he was po'd from his play.

there's no way to answer these questions about holtby til he has played thru them. all i would say is that i realize there are many that are attracted to his game because of the puck play and the slashing. the results of those aspects of his game could go both ways and we wont know which way it goes til he goes there.

Old
03-31-2011, 11:19 AM
sycamore

Quote:
here's the thing. neuvirth is pretty much a known quantity. what you see is what you get. there aren't a lot of variables. he may improve some, but that will come in the context of what he is.

varly is erratic in part because he is just unreliable based on his health. you can't count on him nor is his "A" game consistantly on display. that my be in part because of his lack of consistant availability to play.

holtby is still an unknown quantity. when the nhl sees him enough to game plan him are they going to find a big hole in his game or personality that they can take advantage of?
while he may well get better, he may also be exposed. only time can tell there.

I think if Neuvirth had a basic weakness he would have been exposed by now.

In the end its actual performance that matters, not potential. As of right now Varly and Braden have more to prove than Neuvirth
You're right, Neuvirth is a known quantity...in the regular season. We have no idea how he will perform in the playoffs. My guess is that he will be more or less the same -- he won't lose any games for you by allowing soft goals, but he isnt going to steal any games for you either like a Miller or a Lundquist. And I think that is perfectly fine for the Caps. They are counting on their offence to win games anyway; all they ask of their defence and goaltending is to hold serve.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:54 AM
txpd

neuvirth does have a playoff track record. not an nhl record, but he has 2 playoff season in the ohl and 2 playoff seasons in the ahl. he has been the primary goaltender in 14 playoff series and is 14-0. he has three championships. the one missed championship was a series he missed to injury.

that says something.

Old
04-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Roughing

I think Neuvy is the guy long term. He seems to have a great mix of calm and fundamentals. Holtby seems like a guy that could dominate or be exposed with more playing time. I've been saying for a while I'd make them the 1-2 for the foreseeable future. Valry has incredible talent but has issues with health and I don't like how he's responded on or off the ice now that he's not the clear #1. If they can get value for him I'd do so.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Varly's interview in the newest issue of Sport-Express today

http://translate.google.ru/translate...ews%2F12761%2F

The translation is poor but it has everything you should know @ the most important parts.

Basically Varly said he is ready to work as hard as needed to gain back #1 status.

Also he's ready to accept QO (even if it's only +10% for his salary) to stay in Washington if required. KHL is not an option at all while it's possible to stay in the NHL.

In the same text Irbe said that Varly's injuries are nothing serious and he will learn to avoid it with some age/experience.

Have a nice read if you can. I think RMNB will make a better translation later and have no time to do it myself, sorry.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:45 AM
txpd

thats all perfectly sensible. varly's injuries are based on his playing style and trying to cover for youthful mistakes. if he would realize that he can play a little more like neuvy and stay healthy, he would avoid many of those breakdowns.

Old
04-01-2011, 10:52 AM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
neuvirth does have a playoff track record. not an nhl record, but he has 2 playoff season in the ohl and 2 playoff seasons in the ahl. he has been the primary goaltender in 14 playoff series and is 14-0. he has three championships. the one missed championship was a series he missed to injury.

that says something.
Neuvy always steps up. Why not see if he can at this level? Varly is 1-2 in playoff series and some of those losses were squarely on him.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:38 AM
RyK15*

Gotta be Varly. He's the future and I feel like we have the best chance to go the distance with him in net. Of course, I wouldn't object to trading him in a package for a Ward or a Lundqvist.....

RyK15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:59 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
You're comparing maybe 10-15% of the time against 85-90% of the time. He's made improvements by leaps and bounds on his decision making when it comes to handling the puck this year. Besides to except him to be perfect is not realistic. It's the nature of the beast.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote