HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 Sabres Cap and Free Agency Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2011, 05:19 PM
ct2111

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
For the A and B's, it depends which position are you ready to fill with a young player

are the Sabres finally ready to give Adam a look at center, where he likely belongs? If so, i give him the 3rd line spot no questions asked. let him C Hecht and Pominville on a "3rd line" and see what he does

OR

Do you role with the 7 on D we have now (Regehr-Myers, Gragnani-Leopold, Sekera-Weber, Morrisson pairings for example) and be happy with that? Or do they let McNabb hit the NHL right away
Unless a miracle happens over the summer I can only see McNabb in the AHL at the start of the season. His skating isn't NHL-ready. And with his aggressive playing style he needs to adjust to not get burned on a constant basis against better competition. I think Pysyk has a better shot than him and I think a completely healed Schiestel has the best chance of the d-men prospects to earn a full-time spot.

Imo the D is sufficient right now and given the team's other needs I would rather see them acquire a third-line center.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:49 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
I'd take option A. I think our defense will be fine (and quite deep) with the addition of Regehr and the continued maturation of Gragnani, Weber, Sekera, and Myers. Don't forget also that TJ Brennan is about ready for his first NHL look. Even if we had Richards, that leaves McCormick and Gaustad as our 3rd and 4th centers. That's just bad, they are offensively invisible.
I'm going with option A as well. I've been pumping a guy like Eric Belanger for a while, a physical grinder center who can PK, throw his body around and win some FOs (just like Gaustad, really). He'd come cheap as a UFA and would center a 3rd line with Hecht and Boyes - that line would be solid defensively and could dominate on the cycle against weaker 3rd pairings and smaller forward lines.

That also allows us to keep Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta together and use McCormick as a cheap depth 13th forward who can play C or W. Adam in Rochester is the first call-up.

The D will continue to improve given it's youth. I don't really gave any issue going into the year with Regehr-Myers, Leo-Weber and Sekera-Grags. Sign a depth 7th or use Morrisonn pending cap situation. We can assume Weber, Sekera, and Grags will continue to improve.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:18 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
Gaustad had 31 points and McCormick had 20 points this year. Those are pretty much ideal stats for your typical 3rd and 4th line centers. I'm not saying we shouldn't look into building up down the middle for offense, but they aren't "offensively invisible".
You're right if they played bottom six minutes only but.......

Gausted, especially, played top 6 minutes for most of the year. No one who watched the Sabres this past year could be so blind as to not see the time-n-again misses Gausted had, actually whiffing on the puck in the offensive zone. Gausted is a 4th line center, special teams (should only be pk) and a last 3-minutes-left in game defensive center. If you watch the Sabres, that is what he is. His offense is pretty much non-existent, as he does not posses the "hands" to be effective. We need a 3rd line center that can chip in 40 points because he spots in a top 6 spot/plays pp and be a shutdown center. Why we say Val Fittupla (again, not looking up the spelling hehehe) or Stoll.

That's why time and again, we need to sacrifice someone on the wings to fill that 3rd line center spot, or sacrifice them so we have the funds for a #1 in UFA (Richards) and 3rd line center. It comes down to Pomms or Boyes have to be traded/dumped to be able to get a #3 & #1, our center situation sucks, and it's too important to suceed without both.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:26 PM
SoFFacet

I guess I'll go against the grain and select option B. Ruff seemed fairly confident that Adam makes the team as a center next year, and our AHL ROYs have a very good track record thus far. In the event of an injury, Hecht and Boyes are passable stopgaps, and Gaustad does fine with 3rd line minutes.

On the other hand, the current D corps has no satisfying 2nd pair. Under the assumption that we fill the #1C need, that would be the most glaring weak point of our team.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
I'm going with option A as well. I've been pumping a guy like Eric Belanger for a while, a physical grinder center who can PK, throw his body around and win some FOs (just like Gaustad, really). He'd come cheap as a UFA and would center a 3rd line with Hecht and Boyes - that line would be solid defensively and could dominate on the cycle against weaker 3rd pairings and smaller forward lines.

That also allows us to keep Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta together and use McCormick as a cheap depth 13th forward who can play C or W. Adam in Rochester is the first call-up.

The D will continue to improve given it's youth. I don't really gave any issue going into the year with Regehr-Myers, Leo-Weber and Sekera-Grags. Sign a depth 7th or use Morrisonn pending cap situation. We can assume Weber, Sekera, and Grags will continue to improve.
yeah, i wouldnt balk at Belanger, but he's not my first choice if we're looking at 3C...a guy i've grown to REALLY like these last few years is Marty Reasoner, 55% fo, top PKer and a GREAT leader..his game has seemingly gotten better with age...maybe he'd like to come home to WNY.

Old
06-26-2011, 07:15 PM
threeVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
With the kind of money they'd have to spend to get Richards, there's no reason to think he wouldn't automatically get first-line minutes with the team's best goal scorer (Vanek).

And Regier said in an NHLN interview that Armia is still about 2 years away from being ready for an NHL look.
Oh I wasnt really making lines just putting him on the roster there, I dont even want to guess what the lines will be at this point

Old
06-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Superhero

I think Darcy should look into trading for Derrick Brassard of Columbus. A former 6th overall pick with good size had 47 points last season. He's battled some injuries which has slowed his development. He's got good upside. Columbus added Jeff Carter at center so now is the time to get Brassard while his stock is fairly low.

Old
06-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
I think Darcy should look into trading for Derrick Brassard of Columbus. A former 6th overall pick with good size had 47 points last season. He's battled some injuries which has slowed his development. He's got good upside. Columbus added Jeff Carter at center so now is the time to get Brassard while his stock is fairly low.
would you trade Ennis straight up for Brassard?

Old
06-26-2011, 07:51 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
That is an intriguing idea.

Old
06-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
Considering our lack of center depth and Brassard's potential to be a No. 1 someday or solid No. 2, I would. Sure, Ennis had a hell of a rookie year, and Brassard's been a little disappointing in Columbus. But I think they rushed him and expected too much. He's 23, a former first round pick, and if you slot him behind Roy for a year or two, could eventually blossom into a No. 1. I think Ruff could get a lot out of him.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
That offer isn't nearly enough for a true #1C who's young and has a few years left on a good contract.

If we are to get Stastny, we will need to sacrifice two of Kassian, Ennis, Adam, and either an elite defense prospect or Enroth, plus picks. We don't have any prospects of the caliber of Schenn, so we have to go with quantity. Ennis is proven at the NHL level and has #1LW written all over him. I'd want to keep him if we can.

Face it, we have to give up a lot for a true #1C. It is the last real piece to make this team a true Cup contender. We have to be willing to part with our best assets for it. It sucks, but that's what it will take to pry a guy like Stastny or Spezza away.
You may certainly be right. I understand its going to take a really strong offer to get someone of his caliber. I used Burns offer as a comparable, but what about Carter? Columbus got Carter for Voracek, 1st and 3rd. I'm offering a top goalie prospect, a pretty good and young NHL Dman, 1st and 2 2nds. Carter is only 1 year older, is coming off a better season and is signed for nearly $1.5M less per season. Not to mention he's locked up until 2022 at a fairly low salary as the cap and salaries continue to rise. Stastny will be a UFA at age 28 in three seasons.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:26 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:
The big red flag for me for Brassard is the injuries he already has. I think his upside is a 50-60 point center, I think he's a good option, but not one I'd give up Ennis for, who could hit in the 70-80 point range IMHO.

Old
06-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
To be honest, the only guy I see here even slightly likely to be dealt is Spezza and even then I'm doubtful.
Not sure why you think that but you apprently haven't been following the news out of Ottawa since their season ended. Both the GM and the player have steadfastly told the media that each is committed to the other and eager to move forward in the rebuilding phase that lies ahead.

Frankly, of all the top centers that have been debated on this MB, Spezza is the least likely to be available.

Old
06-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
You may certainly be right. I understand its going to take a really strong offer to get someone of his caliber. I used Burns offer as a comparable, but what about Carter? Columbus got Carter for Voracek, 1st and 3rd. I'm offering a top goalie prospect, a pretty good and young NHL Dman, 1st and 2 2nds. Carter is only 1 year older, is coming off a better season and is signed for nearly $1.5M less per season. Not to mention he's locked up until 2022 at a fairly low salary as the cap and salaries continue to rise. Stastny will be a UFA at age 28 in three seasons.
No two situations are identical obviously - and you should keep in mind that the Flyers accepted what they did for Carter because of several extenuating circumstances that motivated their eagerness to deal him sooner rather than later.

Old
06-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
yeah, i wouldnt balk at Belanger, but he's not my first choice if we're looking at 3C...a guy i've grown to REALLY like these last few years is Marty Reasoner, 55% fo, top PKer and a GREAT leader..his game has seemingly gotten better with age...maybe he'd like to come home to WNY.
Of all the names bandied about for a 3C role, Hanzal is the most appealing option, followed by Filppula, Talbot and Wellwood, IMO.

Old
06-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Let me pose this question:

#1 Center and either

A) 3rd line center

OR

B) A Veteran #4 RH D-man who can play a physical stay at home game

Who would you fill those spots with internally if we didn't pursue them via trade or UFA for whichever you are choosing.
If a #1 center is acquired without giving up Roy, I'm a lot more comfortable with a scenario of Gaustad and McCormick (or Adam, if McCormick isn't re-signed) in the 3rd/4th Center slot than I am with the bottom 3 defensemen presently behind Myers, Regehr and Leopold. I like Weber a lot but don't trust Gragnani's all-around game enough to feel comfortable with him and Sekera in the 3rd pairing if Weber were partnered with Leopold. As such, I'd prefer a Weber-Gragnani pairing and replacing Sekera with a more physical blueliner in the 4th slot.

I liked your proposal of Ian White as a RH partner for Leopold, and also pitched an idea about trading for Matt Greene, another RH defenseman who is almost identical to Regehr in size and physicality.

Old
06-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
That is an intriguing idea.
Quote:
The big red flag for me for Brassard is the injuries he already has. I think his upside is a 50-60 point center, I think he's a good option, but not one I'd give up Ennis for, who could hit in the 70-80 point range IMHO.
I think Ennis and Brassard have the same ceiling... but Brassard is a natural center who plays with size.

id do it in a heartbeat... even knowing that Ennis is closer and more likely to reach his ceiling

Old
06-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
I think Ennis and Brassard have the same ceiling... but Brassard is a natural center who plays with size.

id do it in a heartbeat... even knowing that Ennis is closer and more likely to reach his ceiling
I'm with you. Brassard's a risk given his ups and downs and injuries, but given his age and position, it's a risk worth taking. We have wing depth both on the roster and in the system. Giving up a good young winger like Ennis is a small price to pay for a center...even if he only turns out to be a No. 2.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:53 PM
buffalorules

Why don't we trade for tyler bozak for 2nd or 3rd

Old
06-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
SUN-SENTINEL.COM: Harvey Fialkov reports the Florida Panthers may be looking to add four forwards, two defensemen and a goalie, unless they can re-sign Tomas Vokoun. Itís possible they could re-sign Marty Reasoner and Sergei Samsonov but itís believed the Panthers will seek younger, cheaper players.

SPECTORíS NOTE: Itís also expected they could make another expensive acquisition as they did on Friday by acquiring Brian Campbell
http://spectorshockey.net/wordpress/...-june-27-2011/

Hopefully, if Regier needs to free up cap room, he has Tallon's number on speed dial. One would think that Boyes and Morrisonn could appeal to the Panthers.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
The Sabres have made qualifying offers to all their restricted free agents. Even with Drew Stafford signed, Darcy Regier says four others could elect salary arbitration. They are Nathan Gerbe, Andrej Sekera, Mike Weber and Marc Gragnani. They must declare arbitration by 5:00 on July 5th
Quote:
Nothing has changed in Regier's mind as far as free agency goes. The GM said, "I just came from a meeting that is focused on free agency, we hope to be active, we'll certainly be making calls and inquires and making some offers and we're hopeful we'll be able to add both a forward and a defenseman, but we'll have to see how it goes."
http://wgr550.com/4-Sabres-eligible-...ation/10216864

Old
06-27-2011, 04:28 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocen...=668&id=119842

If you read between the lines, he is saying "we're going after richards"

"We're going to be competivie for the top free agents"

"It's a thin market"

Ergo "We're going after the top free agent"

Old
06-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Not sure why you think that but you apprently haven't been following the news out of Ottawa since their season ended. Both the GM and the player have steadfastly told the media that each is committed to the other and eager to move forward in the rebuilding phase that lies ahead.

Frankly, of all the top centers that have been debated on this MB, Spezza is the least likely to be available.
Fair enough... I was basing it on the deadline reports of a trade between the two (correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Ottawa want Ennis, Foligno + 1st?) and the fact that Ottawa is clearly in a rebuilding phase.

Saying that though, I could probably give more reasons why Spezza would be traded than Stastny.

I also suggested Vermette, but Brassard would be a good target (if he were available). The BJs definitely seem like a good trade partner in any respect.

As for B.Richards.... can people just say we won't get him and just be pleasantly surprised if, IF we get him. I understand the hope that Terry Pegula has given the Sabres fanbase and its pretty amazing especially if you are in Buffalo I imagine, like nothing else I've ever experienced as a fan of the team (since 99/2000) certainly but this is likely just a step too far.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocen...=668&id=119842

If you read between the lines, he is saying "we're going after richards"

"We're going to be competivie for the top free agents"

"It's a thin market"

Ergo "We're going after the top free agent"
I certainly got that impression. There's no doubt they plan to go after Richards, but I wonder what the breaking point is going to be. Darcy we know may be willing to overpay but he will not sign a horrible contract in desperation. If he does, we'll know that Pegula's enthusiastic involvement has its negative aspects as well. I don't think that'll be the case, though; Pegula is only there to back staff with what they say they need, until the day he decides to change the staff.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:54 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
http://spectorshockey.net/wordpress/...-june-27-2011/

Hopefully, if Regier needs to free up cap room, he has Tallon's number on speed dial. One would think that Boyes and Morrisonn could appeal to the Panthers.
Remember that we're counting on shedding that capspace next year to resign Myers and Ennis. Replacing them this year with anything long term looks risky. Replacing them with other one-year deals is possible but seems rather... pointless. Especially looking at who Florida has that fits that criteria.

Closed Thread