HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

1st Overall Pick 2011

Old
03-27-2011, 07:57 PM
IslesFanatic707

vCash: 50
1st Overall Pick 2011

Whomever ends up with the pick, most likely Edmonton or any of the top 5 if they get lucky in the lottery, what do you guys think would be needed to get that pick this year?

IslesFanatic707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Well the Oilers tank a whole year for their hard earned pick, they won't trade it.

The Ottawa Senators started this year thinking playoffs, now they're in a rebuild. So they won't trade it.

Florida Panthers, I don't even know what they're trying to achieve.

Islanders: They are a team that might give their pick because they have a lot of prospects that could be up next year like Haan, and Nino + Tavares and Grabner playing great.

Colorado: Injury and bad goaltending, they're a playoff team next season.

So realistically only two teams are in a position to give their pick. To get that pick, I'd assume that they give them what they need.

Islanders, need some help on D. Colorado needs help on D and goaltending.

So a Zach Bogosian+ type player is the value of that pick.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Riddick

vCash: 500
id think the islanders would keep the #1 overall because it would fill their biggest need: defense. Larsson would be able to step right in. if they did trade the first overall, it would probably be for a young Dman under contract or where they hold his rights for a few more years.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 182
id rather the isles keep it if its the number one. take larsson and celebrate. if its number two take ryan nugent hopkins and look at how incredible your offense is. if its 3-5 (what it is now and will likely end up being) then either chill out and take your man or trade for a signed on young #2 dman. there arent any out there (or so it seems) but if you get the offer, then make the move.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:53 PM
KeslerKrony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Well the Oilers tank a whole year for their hard earned pick, they won't trade it.

The Ottawa Senators started this year thinking playoffs, now they're in a rebuild. So they won't trade it.

Florida Panthers, I don't even know what they're trying to achieve.

Islanders: They are a team that might give their pick because they have a lot of prospects that could be up next year like Haan, and Nino + Tavares and Grabner playing great.

Colorado: Injury and bad goaltending, they're a playoff team next season.

So realistically only two teams are in a position to give their pick. To get that pick, I'd assume that they give them what they need.

Islanders, need some help on D. Colorado needs help on D and goaltending.

So a Zach Bogosian+ type player is the value of that pick.
I'd have to respectfully disagree with you on the Islanders. They desperately need a defenceman like Larsson.

KeslerKrony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:03 PM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeslerKrony View Post
I'd have to respectfully disagree with you on the Islanders. They desperately need a defenceman like Larsson.
the only way the Isles are getting Larsson is if they win the lottery or trade up. He'll more than likely go in the first 2 or 3 picks. I see the Isles drafting a guy like Dougie Hamilton, a 6'4, offensive dman.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Kaen

I see no plausible scenario where the Oilers trade the #1 pick. Maybe if another team wins the lotto, but even then I doubt it. But if you were just wondering what its worth, think how much would I see as drastic overpayment and then probably add some.

Kaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 07:46 AM
tony d
The man

I can't see Ottawa trading their pick either especially with the team needing so many forward prospects.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Quote:

Why is it that every awful team gets accused of tanking? The Oilers haven't had a player hit the 42 point plateau without getting a season-ending injury, and this was a team deep in a rebuild to begin with. Any time your leading scorer is going to have 42 ****ing points you're going to have a bad team, period. I mean, Dick Tarnstrom had 52 for the 03-04 Penguins. Jordan Eberle, a rookie, is the leading active Oiler with 39 points in 62 games.

I don't say this as a slight to the Oilers, just to underline how bad their circumstances have been. I figured they'd have a top 3-4 pick going into the season...but I didn't expect their top 3 scorers playing 180 combined games. Hemsky got his 42 points in only 47 games (with a plus rating, at that).

But hey, every team that is lousy is losing on purpose because you know those players have no desire of getting work again.

Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
the only way the Isles are getting Larsson is if they win the lottery or trade up.
No ****...the entire point of the thread was the relative value of the pick to whomever won the lottery.

Ozamataz Buckshank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Freudian
luck paper scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I can't see Ottawa trading their pick either especially with the team needing so many forward prospects.
I don't think I will ever see a Canadian team trade a first overall pick in my lifetime. With the possible exception of 1st overall for 2nd overall + 2nd rounder type of deal.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:31 AM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral View Post
No ****...the entire point of the thread was the relative value of the pick to whomever won the lottery.
ok

Edmonton would move #1 pick to NYI for John Tavares.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:53 AM
thalegion

Quote:
ok

Hmm I don't think I would, last year of ELC, vs potential franchise defenseman

thalegion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:57 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Why is it that every awful team gets accused of tanking? The Oilers haven't had a player hit the 42 point plateau without getting a season-ending injury, and this was a team deep in a rebuild to begin with. Any time your leading scorer is going to have 42 ****ing points you're going to have a bad team, period. I mean, Dick Tarnstrom had 52 for the 03-04 Penguins. Jordan Eberle, a rookie, is the leading active Oiler with 39 points in 62 games.

I don't say this as a slight to the Oilers, just to underline how bad their circumstances have been. I figured they'd have a top 3-4 pick going into the season...but I didn't expect their top 3 scorers playing 180 combined games. Hemsky got his 42 points in only 47 games (with a plus rating, at that).

But hey, every team that is lousy is losing on purpose because you know those players have no desire of getting work again.
Agreed. If Hemsky, Horcoff, Hall, Eberle, Gagner and most importantly, Whitney, stayed healthy all year... this team would be talking about who to take in the 5-10 range. (they were in that range before Whitney went down).

As another poster stated, the only way #1 is moved, is if one of the other top 4 picks is coming their way + more.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

It's not the player, It's the GM.

Does a 5 year Oiler's rebuild guarantee you a Cup in the next year? No. How about the few years after that? Probably not.

It is a longshot that the Oilers even make the playoffs by then, because of the competition in the West.

What is the job of a GM? Do whatever it takes in his power to ice the best team possible.

When the Oilers come out, and say "We're going to need a 5 year rebuild," they're just buying themselves time.

Nothing guarantees you a Cup. Oilers have been mediocre at best in this decade except that miracle run after which they blew the team up.

I don't blame the players, they aren't given specific instructions when to win and when to lose, but when you do nothing as a GM to help your team, they're tanking whether they like it or not.

Oilers will be in the bottom 5 again next year, and the year after.

I have nothing against them, but did I say anything wrong, that the Oilers wouldn't give up a draft pick because that's the only thing the GM is trying to do right now?

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic707 View Post
Whomever ends up with the pick, most likely Edmonton or any of the top 5 if they get lucky in the lottery, what do you guys think would be needed to get that pick this year?

A new arena

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:50 AM
scoringmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic707 View Post
I hope Edmonton does not get the first overall pick again as they need to surround themselves with some good veterans to help the young guys grow. Second I would not like to see ever a team getting the first overall pick two years in a row.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:54 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Ott 1st in '11

for

NYI 1st in '12

If I'm OTT, it'd be hard to turn that down. Next years top offensive players are already better then most in this draft. Then OTT can fail for Nail. And the leafs and sens can renew their hatred. I don't see anyone in this years draft that will immediately improve the isles.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
I hope Edmonton does not get the first overall pick again as they need to surround themselves with some good veterans to help the young guys grow. Second I would not like to see ever a team getting the first overall pick two years in a row.
Why don't you just come out and say...I'm a Flames fan and I don't want the Oilers to have anything good on their roster?
The Oilers will add more veterans when the time is right

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:03 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:

Does a 5 year Oiler's rebuild guarantee you a Cup in the next year? No. How about the few years after that? Probably not.

It is a longshot that the Oilers even make the playoffs by then, because of the competition in the West.

What is the job of a GM? Do whatever it takes in his power to ice the best team possible.

When the Oilers come out, and say "We're going to need a 5 year rebuild," they're just buying themselves time.

Nothing guarantees you a Cup. Oilers have been mediocre at best in this decade except that miracle run after which they blew the team up.

I don't blame the players, they aren't given specific instructions when to win and when to lose, but when you do nothing as a GM to help your team, they're tanking whether they like it or not.

I have nothing against them, but did I say anything wrong, that the Oilers wouldn't give up a draft pick because that's the only thing the GM is trying to do right now?
Bold statement. While next year is possible, two years from now just won't happen. Taylor Hall was on pace for 30 in his rookie year, imagine what the kid will be like 2 years from now. Add the groth of Paajarvi, Eberle and their top pick from this year.

In 2 years, wether you want to admit it or not, Oilers will be competing for a playoff spot.

Old
03-28-2011, 11:06 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:

Bold statement. While next year is possible, two years from now just won't happen. Taylor Hall was on pace for 30 in his rookie year, imagine what the kid will be like 2 years from now. Add the growth of Paajarvi, Eberle and their top pick from this year.

In 2 years, wether you want to admit it or not, Oilers will be competing for a playoff spot.

Old
03-28-2011, 11:24 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
ok

And Garth Snow would hangup laughing. Not a chance Tavares gets moved for the first overall pick. A franchise center that will likely be at a PPG by the age of 21 is impressive, and he is the face of the franchise.

If the Isles were to offer something for the #1 pick it would have to be something like Isles pick (if its #3 or 4) and both of the Isles second round picks for #1 overall. Or even something like Brock Nelson and isles pick for 1st overall.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Bold statement. While next year is possible, two years from now just won't happen. Taylor Hall was on pace for 30 in his rookie year, imagine what the kid will be like 2 years from now. Add the growth of Paajarvi, Eberle and their top pick from this year.

Nothing like trying to get your point across by double posting

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Cayce View Post
Ott 1st in '11

for

NYI 1st in '12

If I'm OTT, it'd be hard to turn that down. Next years top offensive players are already better then most in this draft. Then OTT can fail for Nail. And the leafs and sens can renew their hatred. I don't see anyone in this years draft that will immediately improve the isles.

Do you really think the Isles will finish bottom 5 next year?

I see them finishing anywhere between 10 pick and 18 pick. Keep in mind the Isles lost the most man game injuries this year. They were without 5 of their starting 6 defenseman for a good portion of the season. Streit missed the entire season and MacDonald missed a big chunk of the season, Okposo missed half the season.

If they stay healthy they should be a bubble team, big risk for Ottawa to take.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Cayce View Post
Ott 1st in '11

for

NYI 1st in '12

Wow!

Am I reading that right?

As an Islander fan, I take this deal in a second.

Judging Snow to date, it's hard to think that he'd give up a future first rounder, obviously not knowing what the future holds.

Still, this Islanders team intends on fighting real hard for the 8th spot next season and might have done so this season had it not suffered the most man-games lost to injury for the 3rd time in 4 years (and hey, we were 2nd or 3rd in the year where we didn't lead the league).

I'd suspect that Murray would NOT make this deal. I'm sure he too realizes that he could be turning a top 5 pick this year into a pick that could be 10-20 next year.

As for the Islanders, I'd have to think Snow would look at a chance at getting any two of Landeskog, Hamilton, Couturier and Strome as a chance you don't pass up, especially when you feel you're exiting draft-lotteryville forever as of next season.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote