HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Valeri Nichushkin - Chelyabinsk, KHL (2013, 10th overall, Dallas)

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Sundinisagod
Ehlers or Ritchie...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Does anyone think he'll follow a similar career path as Kuznetsov or Tarasenko? End up being picked relatively late in the 1st, polish his game for several years in the KHL(amidst rampant although probably baseless speculation he won't come over) only to end up as a top prospect in the league and (hopefully) do very well in the NHL?
That's exactly how things are shaping up imho. Lookin like a bigger draft day wildcard than Grigs last year.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:35 AM
nki

Wonder how high Nichuskin would be going if he was Canadian...

Old
01-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Sundinisagod
Ehlers or Ritchie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Wonder how high Nichuskin would be going if he was Canadian...

I've had very limited exposure to him, but based soley on what I've seen from this WJC I'd say 3-7 range.

Has been compared to Nash, today's OT winner was a total Nash type goal.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:54 AM
nki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I've had very limited exposure to him, but based soley on what I've seen from this WJC I'd say 3-7 range.

Has been compared to Nash, today's OT winner was a total Nash type goal.
Yeah I didn't see him prior to WJC either, I was obviously expecting the skill as is the case with most highly regarded Russian prospects. But I was a bit surprised at how good his play at the boards and in dirty areas is. Certainly a guy willing to pay the price to get into between the dots. Seemed to compete in the D-zone as well.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Sundinisagod
Ehlers or Ritchie...

^ yeah, those points you mentioned, make him a guy who's game should translate well to the NHL. IMVHO he's right there with Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Drouin etc.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:13 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

I like Nichushkin but his vision will kill him in the NHL. Everytime he has the puck he is trying to beat the defender with his speed and use his body to go to the net. Not that it doesn't work but I think it won't be as effective in the NHL. He will need to change his style of play a bit before making the step to the NHL that means using his teammates more which he has imrpoved over last year and will have to stop being so predictable. It might work in juniors but it won't be as effective aginst men, I expect big things from him if he changes a bit his style of his play. I don't think he's NHL ready he'll need to stay in the KHL like Kuznetsov and Tarasenko did.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:13 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Yeah I didn't see him prior to WJC either, I was obviously expecting the skill as is the case with most highly regarded Russian prospects. But I was a bit surprised at how good his play at the boards and in dirty areas is. Certainly a guy willing to pay the price to get into between the dots. Seemed to compete in the D-zone as well.
Nichushkin isn't your typical Russian forward, he plays a very gritty style.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Montecristo

Nichushkin only has one move from what i can tell. I have watched a few games and in every one he goes wide around the D, cuts in towards the net and tries to power the puck far side. I guess I kind of respect it in a way. its like a nolan ryan fast ball. he's going to make someone stop him from doing it before he bothers trying anything else.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Jim Morrison

Plays like Rick Nash

Old
01-05-2013, 10:50 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
Nichushkin only has one move from what i can tell. I have watched a few games and in every one he goes wide around the D, cuts in towards the net and tries to power the puck far side. I guess I kind of respect it in a way. its like a nolan ryan fast ball. he's going to make someone stop him from doing it before he bothers trying anything else.
Exactly what I noticed, with a couple of years of development hopefully he will change his style of play a bit.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:12 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Plays like Rick Nash
Nice comparison actually

Old
01-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Vasilevski
TB team with Stamkos

Yeah, that goal was Rick Nash style 100%

Old
01-05-2013, 01:21 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
Exactly what I noticed, with a couple of years of development hopefully he will change his style of play a bit.
It's worked for Erik Cole for years, can't see why it wouldn't for Nichushkin.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Reminds me of Richard Zednik back in the days with the Canadiens.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:40 PM
muzion

Hasn't passed the puck the whole tournament, still don't know if he knows how to play hockey.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Sergei Shirokov

He looks like a Russian version of David Booth, expect he will probably have higher production if he reaches his ceiling.

I just think the way he powers his way through people and cuts to the net is awfully similar to Booth. And the Speed too.

This guy unreal though, if he continues solid play and develop like he has I could see him going in the top 10 honestly.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:00 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Nichushkin playing right now, he plays for Traktor against CSKA which has Datsyuk and Radulov.

PM me if you want a stream.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
I like Nichushkin but his vision will kill him in the NHL. Everytime he has the puck he is trying to beat the defender with his speed and use his body to go to the net. Not that it doesn't work but I think it won't be as effective in the NHL. He will need to change his style of play a bit before making the step to the NHL that means using his teammates more which he has imrpoved over last year and will have to stop being so predictable. It might work in juniors but it won't be as effective aginst men, I expect big things from him if he changes a bit his style of his play. I don't think he's NHL ready he'll need to stay in the KHL like Kuznetsov and Tarasenko did.
I have seen him in the KHL and he seems to look for his line mates a lot more than he did in the WJC. Russia had a lot of coaching problems (hence all the puck hogging) at the WJC and it is difficult to really judge any Russian player from the WJC but he still had a good tournament, in fact his line did not concede a goal in the entire tournament. His vision will improve with time, he still needs work in that area. Obviously a 17 year old kid is not NHL ready yet He is currently playing his ninth game in the KHL, the fact he is already in the KHL at such a young age is great.

He has a three year contract with Traktor, if all goes well (Knock wood) when he is 20 he should be ready to be an influential player in the NHL.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:29 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

[QUOTE=Dynamo81;57173581]I have seen him in the KHL and he seems to look for his line mates a lot more than he did in the WJC. Russia had a lot of coaching problems (hence all the puck hogging) at the WJC and it is difficult to really judge any Russian player from the WJC but he still had a good tournament, in fact his line did not concede a goal in the entire tournament. His vision will improve with time, he still needs work in that area. Obviously a 17 year old kid is not NHL ready yet He is currently playing his ninth game in the KHL, the fact he is already in the KHL at such a young age is great.

He has a three year contract with Traktor, if all goes well (Knock wood) when he is 20 he should be ready to be an influential player in the NHL.[/QUOTE

Some players are ready for the NHL at a young age in case you didn't know, just look at Barkov. Barkov is so smart that he'll probably play right after being drafted and look good. You are trying to argue with me but you just said the exact same thing I said..

Old
01-08-2013, 02:18 AM
thefeebster

Video for Nichushkin WJC highlights. Sorry for my piss poor editing on this one. #adobefrustrations

The way he drives the net is Booth-esque, now that you mention it. Always good to have a guy driving to the net with the puck, i guess.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:29 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
what a badass.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Fulcrum

I see superstar potential here.

His end to end speed, power and sometimes the way he goes around defenders at his age really reminds me of Malkin. Of course not the same vision, but he is only 17.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Fulcrum

I believe he just got his first goal in KHL.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
Hasn't passed the puck the whole tournament, still don't know if he knows how to play hockey.
As much as I hate to, I have to agree, here. Having watched the Super Series and the WJCs, I'm left with a less than stellar impression. I see a ton of hype for him here, and I'm really not getting it. He's got a ton of raw tools, no doubt. Can't deny that. However, he's got terrible tunnel vision and plays completely selfish hockey. I'm not sure how valuable a player with blinders on can really be at the NHL level. Throw is the risk associated with his being a Russian player, and I wouldn't draft him anywhere near as high as most are discussing him. I see him as a huge gamble because of his nationality and his apparent complete lack of hockey sense (if he's got it, he sure hasn't shown it in the games I've seen).

01-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT

From the Draft chat on TSN.ca

Quote:
Craig Button:
Valeri is a very versatile player. He has excellent skill, is a physical force & I think he has very good awareness & vision with the puck. When players go and play in the World Junior Tourney as 17 year olds, it's usually the case that they are exceptional players in the age category. But they go there and are often asked to play certain roles and that may have been what you saw. You can only go by what you see but he was a dominant force for Russia when they won the Under '17 last year & believe that he's a very well rounded player.

Closed Thread