HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dion Phaneuf on at 12:40

Old
03-28-2011, 07:20 PM
TheOriginalTiger
GOON

vCash: 500
Kypernose is all class, another reason why sportsnet hockey coverage is a joke

TheOriginalTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
That's just his play in front of the net. Again, in hockey you do get chastised for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It comes down to how you position yourself relative to your opponent and hand (or leg)-eye coordination. Working corners and defending a rush are two other areas he lacks in.
K.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:21 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
All that you've proven is that you either have a selective or a terrible memory. Phaneuf gets beaten wide frequently, gets worked in the corners, and cannot play in front of the net worth squat (I'm sure you at least remember all the goals Phaneuf has scored on Reimer in the past month).

Don't try and pass off your biased perception as fact. Dion is an offensive minded player, which is fine, but in terms of defensive prowess, he is not the best on this team. I guess all Calgary fans were grumbling for nothing then?
Calgary fans grumbled for a couple years before he was moved. To be honest, his game to a turn for the worse with Keenan, and he took some bashing in a playoffs series where he played with an undisclosed injury.

Many Flames fans were quite happy to see him moved but not so happy about the return.

Yes, there were locker room issues but it wasn't a breaking point. Flames players even admitted some physical confrontations took place, but we're talking men playing a game with high levels of physical contact throughout their jobs. We aren't talking about people working in offices, or schools, or in your local government office here. Physical contact is part of the culture and work requirements. Only a big deal if you try and apply mores from different non military type of endeavours.

Flames cap has been in horrible shape for years. They actually played with 16 skaters a couple years ago due to cap mismanagement.

IMO, Phaneuf has played much better recently, and that seemed to coincide with Beauchemin leaving, and Phaneuf getting healthier. Phaneuf has been attacking more, and that has made the other team respect him as a threat a little more.

He isn't what I'd think of as a great defensive d-man though.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post

This actually answers alot - nice call, Joey Hoser
Yea... I was going to reply with a little stat grab, but now I'm not gonna bother...

Thanks from me too Hoser.

Shanty is offline   Reply With Quote