HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Del Zotto.

Old
03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

vCash: 500
What to do with Del Zotto.

It's a simple thought, what do you think we should do with Del Zotto. It seems like we wont be signing McCabe next season therefore we will have an open spot on the Defensive unit. So, do we try Del Zotto again or put in Gilroy? (Both in my opinion are bad choices )

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:37 PM
TrollololBoyle

Del Zotto will be back, the only reason why he is down in the AHL is to find his confidence, his offensive game has never left him and his potential remains the same. But if the Rangers don't sign Richards... hello Pitkanen

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:38 PM
chip chipperson*

gilroy is done

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:42 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Del Zotto will be developed like the rest of the youngens. He is still very young.

Lets try to keep it on topic.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markman34 View Post
It's a simple thought, what do you think we should do with Del Zotto. It seems like we wont be signing McCabe next season therefore we will have an open spot on the Defensive unit. So, do we try Del Zotto again or put in Gilroy? (Both in my opinion are bad choices )
Start him in the AHL unless he wows during camp.

Not sure why you think McCabe won't be back. I'd say it's 50/50. His presence has helped the PP dramatically.

And I doubt Girlroy is back. His QO will be far higher than what he's worth.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 08:45 PM
The Mouth

let him earn spot. No need to give up on him.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Loffen
Hadouken!

I think it depends on who's retained; Gilroy, Eminger, McCabe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Not sure why you think McCabe won't be back. I'd say it's 50/50. His presence has helped the PP dramatically.

And I doubt Girlroy is back. His QO will be far higher than what he's worth.
I hope Macdaddy comes back (for cheap). The PP has certainly changed ever since we got him.

And I hope you're right about Gilory. He's a disaster and ain't worth the cash.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:14 PM
satrabyk

MDZ still has potential in my eyes and next year he will prob come in strong and fighting for a spot, the way it should be on an NHL team. Idk who told u we are signing Mccabe next year, this is prob very premature and i'd like to see how things go in the playoffs before i make any assumption about Mccabe who has just been ok so far.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:14 PM
broadwayblue

Gilroy is gone. MDZ will get a spot if he earns it. Otherwise he'll continue to develop in CT. Not sure what else needs to be said.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Now, despite McD's progress I can't find it in my heart to instantly pencil him in top 4 next year.

But if we do that we have at the LD potentially;

Valtentenko (If he stays, and that is a legitimate 'if')
Del Zotto
Eminger???
McCabe???
or any other UFA. Kundratek and McIlrath are RDs.

03-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

Eminger has been really great as of late. He really fits our identity. Is he worth resigning though?

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:39 PM
beastly115

MDZ will be up with the big club again next season. He's had a rough season and barring some unforeseen trade, he'll get a second shot. He's still young and a lot of good NHL players struggle their sophomore season. He'll bounce back next year.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I can see Del Zotto spending another year in the AHL. There is no guarantee he makes the team, and I don't see why we wouldn't bring McCabe back on a cheap 1-year deal. We're loaded at LD (Staal, McDonagh, McCabe, Valentenko) in addition to Del Zotto, so him making the team isn't a foregone conclusion. He's only 20 though still. He'll be 21 next year. That's still insanely young.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Eminger has been really great as of late. He really fits our identity. Is he worth resigning though?
I certainly think so. At worst, he's a very solid seventh.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I certainly think so. At worst, he's a very solid seventh.
I would love having him as our 7th Dman next year. He is worth it.

As for Del Zotto, he is SO young, and has SO much potential. He is going to play for us, he had a bad year, while he was 20 years old, he cant even drink in the US! (Even though I heard he does a lot).

I would like to see our DMEN next year as Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McD, MDZ, and either McCabe/Eminger/ one of our prospects as our #6. If it is not Eminger, I would love him as a #7 barring any injuries, or need for time off, the man can step up and play.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Eminger should be back as he is fine for a cheap 6th-7th d-man and he plays with a physical edge that this team lacks on the 3rd pair, also he has shown he is more than capable of stepping up to play top 4 minutes at times.

McCabe won't be back unless he wants to take a drastic pay cut and he has a great playoffs. McIlrath signed an incentive based deal, what's odd is he is not a point producing d-man, so its a safe bet his incentives are games played. He has a bomb of a shot, plays nasty, and has size. I don't want him rushed but my gut tells me he was signed because they want to try and have this kid make the team with all of the other young kids so this core can really grow up together. We will have to see, but this is what I imagine they would like to see at the end of camp.

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-McIlrath

7th d-man - Eminger

Again everything changes if Drury retires and we are unable to sign Richards as we will have some money to spend. Eminger should be back, Del Zotto should be able to win a spot in camp, hopefully Gilroy and McCabe have new homes.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 10:12 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

McCabe would be a tremendous mentor for Del Zotto. I wouldn't be certain about McCabe not returning for another season.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

The first two lines are pretty set: Girardi-Staal; McD-Sauer.

They should bring Eminger back for a season and hopefully MDZ can win the other spot on the third line. If not, then maybe Kundratek or Valentenko can make it. If not, I guess we'll have to pick up someone off waivers or trade for a #6.

But I doubt none of MDZ, Valentenko or Kundratek can handle #6 duty. More likely, all of them will be able to do it.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Pizza

Be patient with him.

I know that's not the sexy answer, but it's the right one.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:02 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Be patient with him.

I know that's not the sexy answer, but it's the right one.

I think that's the obvious answer. Anything else is just wrong.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

He can do my dishes. That's the extent of the use I have for him on the 2011-12 team. In other words, keep him far away from the Rangers, even if he's doing well. Give him the whole year in my kitchen, or the AHL, which ever the Rangers prefer, and start fresh in 2012-13, with a clear-minded, and more mature Michael Del Zotto; on the ice and off.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Once he gets his head on straight and his confidence back, he'll likely be up with the Rangers. It may be out of training camp next season or it may be somewhere in the middle of the season or even the following season (though unlikely).

He put up 37 points as a rookie. If he even improves upon that number by 10 points, he's in the all-star game. If he can simply match that number, he'll be a valuable asset (assuming he's not a total liability in our zone).

But of course, don't rule out the possibility of him being a piece in a larger trade. He's certainly not untouchable and with a probable Drury-buyout looming, and Redden's hit being on the books for the summer-cap, Sather may be forced to get creative. Our top 4 is very likely locked for next season. We have a number of other prospects who could win spots 5 and 6, along with the possibility of re-signing McCabe for cheap or another cheap veteran d-man. If the right player is available via trade, Del Zotto would be a good bargaining chip, and although I am a huge DZ fan (my username used to be DelZottoFutureNorris), he's expendable for the right return.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:24 AM
HockeyBurd*

I'll be first to say he's been terrible in his own zone. And this season he has had zero confidence in his offense as well. But nothing that I have seen from him indicates to me that he can't learn to be competent in his own zone with time and seasoning. Once he has that to supplement the offensive side of the puck, he would still be the best passing defenseman the Rangers have in their organization by far and by much.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:54 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Once he gets his head on straight and his confidence back, he'll likely be up with the Rangers. It may be out of training camp next season or it may be somewhere in the middle of the season or even the following season (though unlikely).

He put up 37 points as a rookie. If he even improves upon that number by 10 points, he's in the all-star game. If he can simply match that number, he'll be a valuable asset (assuming he's not a total liability in our zone).

But of course, don't rule out the possibility of him being a piece in a larger trade. He's certainly not untouchable and with a probable Drury-buyout looming, and Redden's hit being on the books for the summer-cap, Sather may be forced to get creative. Our top 4 is very likely locked for next season. We have a number of other prospects who could win spots 5 and 6, along with the possibility of re-signing McCabe for cheap or another cheap veteran d-man. If the right player is available via trade, Del Zotto would be a good bargaining chip, and although I am a huge DZ fan (my username used to be DelZottoFutureNorris), he's expendable for the right return.
Del Zotto is untouchable for anything other than a massive overpayment in return for him. He's the only young defenseman we have who has real offensive potential. They need someone to play that role.

On top of that, now's the wrong time to trade him even if they wanted to do so. His value is at a low right now so you won't get as much back for him as you otherwise would.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:55 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

working off the following premise

don't rush younger players into the NHL

its not a winning formula

yes there are exceptions but bringing a 2010 1st round pick to the NHL in 2012 is not a good wager, especially for a defenseman

IMO Del Zotto was rushed because NY didn't have enough assets in the cupboard to cover for him. Then when he exploded to the upside in camp his play forced the teams hand to bring him to MSG.

I think that Sanguinetti was a better move at that point, but we will never know. Hey MDZ had a rookie season to remember ! In 20 years people will still talk about the kid's rookie season. right ?

I really like the top 4 D for this team over the next 5 seasons

Staal, Girardi, McDonaugh and Sauer have size, skill and are relatively affordable.

Watching Girardi's hit in beantown last week on Lucic, and Sauer's hit on Kunitz was such a sweet feeling, not to mention Staal's hit on Stajan earlier this season. These guys bring the wood, something thats been missing since Bubba suited up... with all due respect to Buekeboom

that leaves the bottom pairing

Gilroy has shown flashes but I think his salary demands could well price him out of town. His skillset hasn't panned out as well as ranger fans would have hoped for. I think he is replaceable

McCabe is SLOW. He could well offset that liability with strong play on the powerplay. If he returns with a Prospal style cap hit I suppose there is space for him, but his ability to get back on the play is in question. I think NY can do better, but they could also do worse.

Eminger has been a nice surprise. It already been stated here on this thread that he would be a fine 7th or insurance player. I think he makes a more than decent 6th even a 5 under the right circumstances. He blocks shots, gets physical and has decent wheels. I am not comfortable with him in the top 4 but barring injury he won't be there for NY.

I would like to see the bottom pairing to be open to competition next camp. Let the best 2 guys take the job. If MDZ shows up, plays mistake free on the defensive side then the team can use him. No doubt about it.

really looking forward to next season. This team is heading in the right direction

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote