HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Off Ice Training Height Difference

Old
04-06-2011, 02:52 PM
CGNY87

vCash: 500
Off Ice Training Height Difference

I am looking to keep my skills sharp and improve stick handling. My local rink is completely closing for renovations and the next closest ones will be only running one sheet of ice at best.

So obviously I am going to have to practice off ice. I am planning on getting the green biscuit or something.

I was wondering what people have used to compensate for the height difference (on and off skates). I have hardwood floors where I will primarily be practicing. I was thinking of using a wood board or something to stand on that would raise me up the extra two iches (or so). Or maybe put my skates on (with the cloth blade guards) and stand on a few towels or something so I dont hurt the blades (or my floors).

Anyone have any good solutions? other than roller blades as I dont wanna spend that much money.

CGNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Skraut

If you look on the right you can see the riser I did, I'm pretty sure it was just 2x4's underneath and 1" decking on top. Because of the messed up measuring system, this comes to roughly 2.25 inches high (I had it all measured out when I made it). I think I spent about $30 for the wood, glue, and screws to put it together, because I used all the weatherproofed wood to make it last longer.

It's very helpful, I just don't like that you use you ankles differently on it than you do in skates. But you'd have the same problem if you just used the floor as is, and cut your sticks shorter.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 04:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I hardly notice the difference from feet to skates. If your form is good off skates, it won't be terribly different when you're on skates. The big difference on skates and in a game is that you'll be shooting while moving and in traffic, which on foot you are stationary and by yourself.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Sean87

Get another stick and cut it down about 2 inches more than you normally do.

Sean87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't notice a difference, but if it's a big deal, get a second stick (or two piece) and cut it down. Typically when I'm skating, my knees are bent more than when I'm standing, but by the same token my weight transfer is different and forward momentum is greater, so off ice shooting is going to be way different anyway.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Kulluminati

Roller blades perhaps? But if there not your thing or you don't have a pair just stand on a plank like the picture above or use a shorter stick.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:50 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Typically when I'm skating, my knees are bent more than when I'm standing.
I echo this. I used to practice in rollers, but not any more as I do not see a difference when I get on the ice.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:30 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I've done roller blades in the past. Shorter stick would work too.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:13 AM
CGNY87

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure how much it would matter. I think I may try choking up on the stick a little bit and see how that works. Otherwise I may have a friend who does wood work make up a platform.

Thanks.

CGNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote