HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers chirping Flames?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2011, 01:41 PM
  #51
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,196
vCash: 500
Good for them, the team should try to get under other teams skin more often. They just need to be able to back it up...

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 01:52 PM
  #52
BrinkOfGreatness*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,961
vCash: 500
I find it hilarious this was brought up even on SNET. This must have been the first time this has happened in the entire history of the NHL.

But hurt Flames players obviously talked to the media about it. Still missing the playoffs, but they must feel great.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 01:54 PM
  #53
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,436
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yeah because the chirping killed us, not the BS call on Hartikainen and the subsequent PP goal. I'm sure the Flames have NEVER **** talked us before, they're a bunch of clean cut lads that crochet with their grandmothers when off the ice.
This post really belongs in the crochet thread.

I have no problem with chirping during a game...its the context I find troubling. B*t*h about the game in general but this team is in no position to be talking smack. They are the worst team in the League by a mile...they are in no position to talk down another team.
I have a simple take on this...if you can't back it up keep your mouth shut.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 02:24 PM
  #54
No Good Names Left
Registered User
 
No Good Names Left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 352
vCash: 500
IMHO, I don't think the fact the players chirp is the issue, that is part of sports. The issue is when a last place team telling another team to enjoy their summer (or along those lines). This team hasn't made the playoffs in 5 straight years?

I don't know who said it, but to me it just comes across as idiotic.

No Good Names Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 02:33 PM
  #55
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
This post really belongs in the crochet thread.

I have no problem with chirping during a game...its the context I find troubling. B*t*h about the game in general but this team is in no position to be talking smack. They are the worst team in the League by a mile...they are in no position to talk down another team.
I have a simple take on this...if you can't back it up keep your mouth shut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Good Names Left View Post
IMHO, I don't think the fact the players chirp is the issue, that is part of sports. The issue is when a last place team telling another team to enjoy their summer (or along those lines). This team hasn't made the playoffs in 5 straight years?

I don't know who said it, but to me it just comes across as idiotic.


Exactly what I was saying. Too many read the title and assumed I was against chirping.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 02:46 PM
  #56
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY
 
Uncle Grouchy Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post


Exactly what I was saying. Too many read the title and assumed I was against chirping.
your position in the standings does not mean you can or cannot chirp...... chirping is integral to the well being of sport, I watched a documentary years ago on "trash talking in sports" Hosted by Bill Curtis and special guests Spike Lee and Terrell Owens, very very informative, check it out sometime.

And why wouldnt you mock the flames? at the end of the day if they finish 9th and you had the chance to help that, and the oil finish 15th, what does it matter?

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 02:48 PM
  #57
keslehr*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
It was probably Colin Fraser. I hear that guys a *******.
I know his mom, she's a teaching aid at my school. She says he's always had problems being unsportsmanlike and chirps no matter if his team is losing 7 or 8 nothing, or if they just won the Cup.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 02:50 PM
  #58
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,436
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post


Exactly what I was saying. Too many read the title and assumed I was against chirping.
Yup...chirp all you want but if you can't back it up then you are essentially a punk....or maybe you're just obtuse.
In any event punks don't get and don't deserve any respect.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 02:52 PM
  #59
No Good Names Left
Registered User
 
No Good Names Left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Yup...chirp all you want but if you can't back it up then you are essentially a punk....or maybe you're just obtuse.
In any event punks don't get and don't deserve any respect.
and very rarely are winners....

No Good Names Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:14 PM
  #60
BrinkOfGreatness*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,961
vCash: 500
So basically, a team below another team shouldn't go saying anything. How often does a team go cry to the media about some chirping? Don't see it much. Provincial rival (Not really a rivalry, but still). They WILL miss the playoffs this year. No harm in chirping a bit.

They should care more about how bad their team is and that they needed some chirping to even get into the game (Plus some garbage officiating).

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:18 PM
  #61
NAF
Beauty Fakes
 
NAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,872
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle paajarvi View Post
your position in the standings does not mean you can or cannot chirp...... chirping is integral to the well being of sport, I watched a documentary years ago on "trash talking in sports" Hosted by Bill Curtis and special guests Spike Lee and Terrell Owens, very very informative, check it out sometime.

And why wouldnt you mock the flames? at the end of the day if they finish 9th and you had the chance to help that, and the oil finish 15th, what does it matter?
Nothing wrong with some gamesmanship, but there's a time and a place. When you're trying to close out a so-far successful game against a better, more experienced team, it ain't the time. More and more coaches are recognizing this and have started to keep a tighter control over on-ice chirping. Vancouver has tried to cut it out altogether. Wouldn't be surprised if Detroit had a similar strategy.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:32 PM
  #62
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,900
vCash: 500
I think the title should have been flames cant handle chripring from a bunch of 18 year olds and cried to sportsnet (Im gonna assume its spector). Imagine if every time a team chirped it became a news story, there would be no newspaper space left to report the score

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:32 PM
  #63
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,436
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Good Names Left View Post
and very rarely are winners....
Very true.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:41 PM
  #64
NAF
Beauty Fakes
 
NAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,872
vCash: 50
hahaha ... speaking of chirping, gotta love Pens giving it to Cogs here:

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...id=4&id=105499

(around :50 for the good bit)

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:59 PM
  #65
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,479
vCash: 500
I don't see a problem with Chirping them. Who cares if they are 30th? It doesn't mean they aren't aloud to say anything to the other team.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 05:18 PM
  #66
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,387
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Anyone see that segment on Sportsnet? Apparently last game our players were yapping at the Flames up 4-1, saying their season "was over" and to "enjoy the good summer". Iginla seemed to laugh at the thought of our team taunting anyone.

Wonder who was doing it? Jones? Fraser? Always backfires when you just motivate the other team though.
Typical Sportsnet and their Oilers hatred. Sportsnet just likes to crap on the Oilers. Why does crap like this always come up with games against the Shames. I'd rather TSN televise the game over these clowns at Sporstnet.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames

Last edited by Narnia: 03-29-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 05:57 PM
  #67
Chayos
Registered User
 
Chayos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Posts: 2,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
That's what I was thinking, I know teams like to yap (I'm not nave enough to to think it doesn't happen) but when a last place team is telling another team to enjoy the summer that seems dumb to me, like one kid at fat camp calling another a fat slob.
Hey I just don't see the problem here. Hockey players chirp all the time, and to say that because the Oilers are in last place that they are not allowed to chirp is silly.

The Oilers have one thing to play for right now and that is being the spoiler, and if there is any team in the league that they would love to cause trouble for its the flames.

The fact that this came out in the press just goes to show you how much this bothered the flames, which was the goal here.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 06:57 PM
  #68
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...
 
Booya42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,430
vCash: 500
Why is there even a thread for such a non subject?
Players chirp...it's a part of the game, and it doesn't matter what place whomever is in.

If they can't handle it, then maybe they should stick to more "gentle" sports where they might not get mocked as part of the psychological aspects of the game.

Did the Flames want some cheese to go with their whine? Why is this even news worthy? They still won't make the playoffs anyways, so what does it matter?

Since when is a team not allowed to chirp, when it is and always has been part of the game?

This is just silly, and juvenile IMO to make a big deal about. I mean really, do you support Calgary running to tell their mom about this?

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 09:23 PM
  #69
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,764
vCash: 500
A thirty place team should keep its mouth shut. What have they accomplished to mouth off against their arch rival. Focus on your ****ing game and play sixty minutes of hockey, not forty.

The great Oil team learned their lesson in the Meltdown on Manchester playoff debacle. This team will not be mistaken for an elite, talent rich team. Keep your mouth shut and don't give the opposition extra motivation.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 10:16 PM
  #70
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,387
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
A thirty place team should keep its mouth shut. What have they accomplished to mouth off against their arch rival. Focus on your ****ing game and play sixty minutes of hockey, not forty.

The great Oil team learned their lesson in the Meltdown on Manchester playoff debacle. This team will not be mistaken for an elite, talent rich team. Keep your mouth shut and don't give the opposition extra motivation.
The Shames should keep their mouths shut as well. This is the Shames trying to have Sportsnet thrash the Oilers. I wonder if the Shames want some cheese with that whine. This is the second time there has been an incident after a game with the Shames. The Shames won the game on Saturday for free by paying the officials to not call a penalty until 4:17 of OT and then Big Ears had the galls to whine to the refs about it.

The Shames should stop whining to the media. Sportsnet should also stop their Oilers hatred.


Last edited by Narnia: 03-30-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Should be Big Ears not Long Ears
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:48 AM
  #71
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...
 
Booya42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
A thirty place team should keep its mouth shut. What have they accomplished to mouth off against their arch rival. Focus on your ****ing game and play sixty minutes of hockey, not forty.

The great Oil team learned their lesson in the Meltdown on Manchester playoff debacle. This team will not be mistaken for an elite, talent rich team. Keep your mouth shut and don't give the opposition extra motivation.
Why should they keep their mouths shut? Chirping is a part of the game and always has been. Why should anyone get special treatment? For your info, the Oilers DID play 60 minutes in that game, but it's hard to keep momentum when you're the only team being penalized, and it's contrary to whats happening on the ice.

Chirping has been and always will be part of the game - doesn't matter who you are or who you play for, or what place you are in. If you've ever played any organized sports at all, you would know this. If you can't handle it, then stick to playing video games - oh wait, it happens there too...

Personally i think it's juvenille that they went to a media outlet and complained..seriously that is kids stuff. They literally went and ran to their momma and whined about being made fun of.

What a bunch of babies! You seriously want to support them in this?

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:44 AM
  #72
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Why should they keep their mouths shut? Chirping is a part of the game and always has been. Why should anyone get special treatment? For your info, the Oilers DID play 60 minutes in that game, but it's hard to keep momentum when you're the only team being penalized, and it's contrary to whats happening on the ice.

Chirping has been and always will be part of the game - doesn't matter who you are or who you play for, or what place you are in. If you've ever played any organized sports at all, you would know this. If you can't handle it, then stick to playing video games - oh wait, it happens there too...

Personally i think it's juvenille that they went to a media outlet and complained..seriously that is kids stuff. They literally went and ran to their momma and whined about being made fun of.

What a bunch of babies! You seriously want to support them in this?
You really think it is a good idea to get in Iginlia's grill when the game is 3/4 over? Keep your mouth shut, focus on your game, and try to close it out. The Oil most certainly did not play sixty minutes - go recheck the shots for period three. Close it out and maybe then you can yap about how great you are. But until then focus on the task at hand. Flamers enjoyed a good laugh - whether they needed to wine to media is a separate issue. The30th place Oil yet again couldn't close against their arch rivals. Worse yet they're outer for talking smack that they can't back up.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:05 AM
  #73
OILFAN #81
Registered User
 
OILFAN #81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 500
Chirping is better then doing this with less then 10 seconds left in a 2 goal game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD03p...layer_embedded

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:07 AM
  #74
Angelus
Smile Time!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 141
Such a class organization.

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:21 AM
  #75
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
The fact that Staios went out of his way to call the tying goal quote, "The biggest goal of my career," annoys me more than the Flames complaining about the Oilers chirping their bench.

Et tu Steve?

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.