HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers one of three teams looking to sign Da Costa

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Panthers one of three teams looking to sign Da Costa

Found this interesting, Tallon looking for more gems.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...-prospect.html

03-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Wow, that's awesome. He's the NCAA's version of Briere. Good to know they are looking at top end NCAA free agent talent, even if they don't get Stephane.

Old
03-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Wow, that's awesome. He's the NCAA's version of Briere. Good to know they are looking at top end NCAA free agent talent, even if they don't get Stephane.
Thanks for the commentary, GR made him sound like a good signing.

We found Garrison this way, right? Trying to remember if it was him or another guy.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:10 PM
HowdyHowden93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post

We found Garrison this way, right? Trying to remember if it was him or another guy.
2007-08: Garrison’s third season University of Minnesota-Duluth was a shortened, but productive one. Garrison served as the quarterback of the power play and one of the team’s top defenders as the much-improved Bulldogs battled for playoff position and a potential NCAA berth. However, he suffered a broken leg in early February against Wisconsin, missing all but the final game as the Bulldogs, 11-9-6 at the time of his injury, won just twice in their final ten games with him out of the lineup. Garrison signed a free agent contract with Florida in April, foregoing his final year of college hockey.

you're right. It was Garrison.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:11 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:

Yup very similar situation in how we got Garrison. Signed him as a junior though I believe so 1 yr older than Da Costa.

For those wondering, this has been a guy thats been on a lot of teams' radars this yr. There's been a few threads about him too but I first read about him in this thread (which includes some other UFA college guys):

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=860219

Separately, if we dont sign Da Costa, I hope we go after Paul Thompson from UNH. He's a guy with good size and is a goal scorer-type. Its really perplexing why he was never drafted or sign before because he's always had good stats each yr so I like that consistency.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Just amazed that Garrison went undrafted. How does that work? Do they have to enter the draft on their own? Can players just choose a team, but they won't get the same money?

Pretty sure a lot of teams would like Garrison these days, he's been great with Weaver.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Boooooth10

Get it done, Tallon!

Old
03-28-2011, 07:21 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yup very similar situation in how we got Garrison. Signed him as a junior though I believe so 1 yr older than Da Costa.

For those wondering, this has been a guy thats been on a lot of teams' radars this yr. There's been a few threads about him too but I first read about him in this thread (which includes some other UFA college guys):

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=860219

Separately, if we dont sign Da Costa, I hope we go after Paul Thompson from UNH. He's a guy with good size and is a goal scorer-type. Its really perplexing why he was never drafted or sign before because he's always had good stats each yr so I like that consistency.
Thompson signed with Pittsburgh.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:24 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Just amazed that Garrison went undrafted. How does that work? Do they have to enter the draft on their own? Can players just choose a team, but they won't get the same money?

Pretty sure a lot of teams would like Garrison these days, he's been great with Weaver.
Actually not uncommon with a lot of players that go the NCAA route and have a pretty big weakness. Dunno what Garrison's was but was probably something like skating or positional play.

Similar question arises with Da Costa and how he went undrafted. But keep in mind, in terms of money, a lot of the top UFA guys from NCAA do get decent entry level deals. But most of it is actually bonus-related money. So if you looked at Garrison's cap hit last yr, it was like $1.4M or something close to that but it was mostly bonuses.

Old
03-28-2011, 07:26 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
Thompson signed with Pittsburgh.
When did that happen? Today?

Old
03-28-2011, 07:57 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
When did that happen? Today?
Yep. Here's the link:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...81693532_x.htm

Would be interesting to see what Da Costa would get(term and dollars). Is he due for Bozak money?

Old
03-28-2011, 08:13 PM
16Skippy

Quote:

I remember reading somewhere where Garrison said he was really small growing up and didn't really have his growth spurt until late high school/early university. Somewhere around there.

So I'm assuming scouts didn't notice him when he was 17 because of lack of size and strength, and I'm sure those weakness would have affected his play too.

I'm pretty sure it was Garrison I read that about. Anyone else remember anything similar?

Old
03-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Skippy View Post
I remember reading somewhere where Garrison said he was really small growing up and didn't really have his growth spurt until late high school/early university. Somewhere around there.

So I'm assuming scouts didn't notice him when he was 17 because of lack of size and strength, and I'm sure those weakness would have affected his play too.

I'm pretty sure it was Garrison I read that about. Anyone else remember anything similar?
Yeah you're right.

Old
03-28-2011, 11:22 PM
ursavolta

vCash: 825
on the merrimack( excuse the spelling) hockey website it stated he attended a Anaheim ducks tryout ..guessing a while back..

interesting.. love the competition tallon is creating..very exciting..

Old
03-29-2011, 05:34 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
Yep. Here's the link:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...81693532_x.htm

Would be interesting to see what Da Costa would get(term and dollars). Is he due for Bozak money?
Oh my... That's bad, I was really looking forward to Tallon signing this kid !

Too bad, we'll have to grab Da Costa instead.

Concerning college UFAs, I want Tallon to sign either Thompson or Da Costa since the beginning, but I also want him to take a big look at Chay Genoway and sign him also... If we can bring in Da Costa and Genoway as free-agents before the draft, that would be one nice way to kick-start the off-season (even if we aren't considered in the off-season yet !), one amazing way should I say !

Old
03-29-2011, 06:08 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Oh my... That's bad, I was really looking forward to Tallon signing this kid !

Too bad, we'll have to grab Da Costa instead.

Concerning college UFAs, I want Tallon to sign either Thompson or Da Costa since the beginning, but I also want him to take a big look at Chay Genoway and sign him also... If we can bring in Da Costa and Genoway as free-agents before the draft, that would be one nice way to kick-start the off-season (even if we aren't considered in the off-season yet !), one amazing way should I say !
Yeah I wanted Thompson too...been following him most of the season after I saw him briefly last yr on TV. I think the Pens got a diamond in the rough with him. I wouldnt mind if we took a look at his linemate, Mike Sislo though. He's done pretty well at UNH the last couple yrs as well.

Chay Genoway is a really small offensive d-man. Not sure it makes much sense for FL to try and sign him based on how Tallon likes his d-men big & tall. Yes he's very good offensivley but at the NHL level, I think he'd get eaten alive.

As far as any other college UFA goes, I'd like to take a look at Justin Fontaine from UMD. Fontaine has just consistently produced every yr after his freshman one. He's similar in size to Da Costa (5'11" 175-180lbs) which is good enough. Fontaine doesnt shy away from the traffic areas too which is what I like about him. He was tied for 5th in the nation in scoring this past yr.

Outside of Fontaine, obviously there's Carter Camper who's #4 in the nation in scoring this yr. He's not big at 5'9" but he's really smart and just knows where to be (and where not to be). I like him more than his teammate Miele (who led the nation in scoring) from Miami. I think Camper would be a better pro than Miele.

Old
03-29-2011, 06:22 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Yeah I wanted Thompson too...been following him most of the season after I saw him briefly last yr on TV. I think the Pens got a diamond in the rough with him. I wouldnt mind if we took a look at his linemate, Mike Sislo though. He's done pretty well at UNH the last couple yrs as well.

Chay Genoway is a really small offensive d-man. Not sure it makes much sense for FL to try and sign him based on how Tallon likes his d-men big & tall. Yes he's very good offensivley but at the NHL level, I think he'd get eaten alive.

As far as any other college UFA goes, I'd like to take a look at Justin Fontaine from UMD. Fontaine has just consistently produced every yr after his freshman one. He's similar in size to Da Costa (5'11" 175-180lbs) which is good enough. Fontaine doesnt shy away from the traffic areas too which is what I like about him. He was tied for 5th in the nation in scoring this past yr.

Outside of Fontaine, obviously there's Carter Camper who's #4 in the nation in scoring this yr. He's not big at 5'9" but he's really smart and just knows where to be (and where not to be). I like him more than his teammate Miele (who led the nation in scoring) from Miami. I think Camper would be a better pro than Miele.
Genoway is a superb puck-moving defenseman, and I'd rather take a chance on him than giving an extension to Clay Wilson...

Genoway would be depth for the system, and with all our big defensemen, taking a flyer on a small Genoway with his potential and offensive game wouldn't be a bad bet IMO

Don't know much about college kids, but that Fontaine guy you're talking could be a nice consolation prize if we miss on Da Costa. I really see Tallon signing one or two big college free agents ticket... Just to take another step in showing we are dead serious going forward !

Old
03-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Jack Connolly, another UMD Bulldog, would also be a good sign.

Old
03-29-2011, 04:07 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Jack Connolly, another UMD Bulldog, would also be a good sign.
Isn't he one part of the Connolly brothers ? I heard the two were pretty good... Isn't it Connally ?

Just saw it a couple of time on the prospects board, don't know anything about them.

Old
03-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Isn't he one part of the Connolly brothers ? I heard the two were pretty good... Isn't it Connally ?

Just saw it a couple of time on the prospects board, don't know anything about them.
No it's Connolly, yeah Mike is the other one. I don't think they are related though.

Old
03-30-2011, 09:24 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
No it's Connolly, yeah Mike is the other one. I don't think they are related though.
Yeah they're not related and I personally like Mike better of the 2 Connolly's. Both guys only downside is size...Jack is 5'8" and Mike is 5'9" (though some places he's listed taller but UMD lists him at 5'9"). And Mike is a winger and more of a goal scorer from what I've seen but Jack led the team in scoring this yr as the center on that line.

Old
03-30-2011, 10:45 AM
RainingRats

Money shouldn't be an issue. Offer him the max. We need as much offensive talent as possible.

Old
03-30-2011, 11:32 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Money shouldn't be an issue. Offer him the max. We need as much offensive talent as possible.
I dont think money is the only issue though...its also about ice time and how long he'd have to be playing in the AHL. With the front runners being Ottawa, Minnesota, Boston and us, you can see how all those teams except Boston need offensive talent too. Ottawa can show how Bobby Butler was able to crack their lineup within a few months in the AHL (a UFA signed last yr out of college), the Sens are in a multi-lingual area where French is spoken and Da Costa is a native of France, and they also have money to spend so can give him max money. He already thinks Ottawa and Minnesota are his favorites so we'd have to blow his socks off to convince him to sign with us.

Old
03-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Yeah they're not related and I personally like Mike better of the 2 Connolly's. Both guys only downside is size...Jack is 5'8" and Mike is 5'9" (though some places he's listed taller but UMD lists him at 5'9"). And Mike is a winger and more of a goal scorer from what I've seen but Jack led the team in scoring this yr as the center on that line.
Jack is the better player though. Mike and Fontaine can thank Jack for a lot of their points due to the offense he created.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:16 PM
jol

Quote:
I dont think money is the only issue though...its also about ice time and how long he'd have to be playing in the AHL. With the front runners being Ottawa, Minnesota, Boston and us, you can see how all those teams except Boston need offensive talent too. Ottawa can show how Bobby Butler was able to crack their lineup within a few months in the AHL (a UFA signed last yr out of college), the Sens are in a multi-lingual area where French is spoken and Da Costa is a native of France, and they also have money to spend so can give him max money. He already thinks Ottawa and Minnesota are his favorites so we'd have to blow his socks off to convince him to sign with us.
South Florida has Hollywood Beach and all those visiting quebecois

JOL

Closed Thread