HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was Ovie injured for half this season?

Old
03-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Funkyalligator

vCash: 500
Was Ovie injured for half this season?

Hmm discuss

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:49 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

My magic 8-ball says "yes".

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Deen

vCash: 50
Good possibility

Deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:25 PM
txpd

still injured. will continue injured til the season is over. my guess is his level of play has remained constant as the league has worn down thru the season. maybe he has been sandbagging a bit as well. the injury may have made the idea of holding energy back a more logical choice.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Funkyalligator

Personally I think he was injured but has finally fought through it. Certainly he had issues with his wrist and I think it effected his ability to put power behind his shot. While he might not be fully healed, it seems to me he has gotten that power back.

Old
03-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
Personally I think he was injured but has finally fought through it. Certainly he had issues with his wrist and I think it effected his ability to put power behind his shot. While he might not be fully healed, it seems to me he has gotten that power back.
He also got a cortisone shot injection in his wrist about a month ago which could be why his shot looks to be a little better recently.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:43 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I would say no. No more than any other full time player.

Teams were defending his move so well, it got ugly. He must be injured, was the common belief. They are bermuda triangulating his ass. Nick has been little help, being all high defensively so often. Ovi has been changing his game and passing a lot more, Preparing for the playoffs by not being so damn predictable, the weakness of his game after being an unstoppable force for years. You expect him to score off that same move forever?

He and the rest of the team woke up about 3 weeks ago. Lets just say they hit the playoff switch. They didnt visit Earnest Angley.

Ovi MJ Nick Laich Gordon Bradley Semin... all seemed to come to life. Were they all injured too?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I would say no. No more than any other full time player.

Teams were defending his move so well, it got ugly. He must be injured, was the common belief. They are bermuda triangulating his ass. Nick has been little help, being all high defensively so often. Ovi has been changing his game and passing a lot more, Preparing for the playoffs by not being so damn predictable, the weakness of his game after being an unstoppable force for years. You expect him to score off that same move forever?

He and the rest of the team woke up about 3 weeks ago. Lets just say they hit the playoff switch.

Ovi MJ Nick Laich Gordon Bradley Semin... all seemed to come to life. Were they all injured too?
While teams may have been shifting defenses his way, that still doesn't explain why he was fumbling/misplaying/etc. so many pucks in the first half. That has largely gone away and at about the same time his shot seems to be picking up some zip. I don't think those two things are unrelated. Count me in as one of those who believe he was/is injured.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Funkyalligator

For me it's the lack of the one timers that indicated to me he was injured. At a certain point I think mentally he quit thinking about taking the shot and it effected his game. I haven't seen defenses do anything different this year from last year or the year before.

Old
03-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Funkyalligator

The caps haven't had nearly as many 2-1 or 3-1 breakaways this year which has usually been when ovie has scored on that move. Sure when it is just him this year he has been stopped for the most part but that has been the case in past years. Basically when ovie injured his wrist about 1.5 months into the season it shook his game up and caused him to stop taking that shot which he now seems to have regained. And also of course the backstrom slump and the whole team slump which certainly didn't help.

Old
03-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Funkyalligator

The reason Obie doesn't have a ton more assists this year(I'd guess leading the league or damn close). People just couldn't finish....laich, backstrom, knuble, mojo, semin....ovie had a ton of amazing passes earlier this year and even recently....it's just that recently people are finishing.

Old
03-14-2011, 11:32 PM
EroCaps

Cocktail of indifferent, out of shape and a bit dinged up.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:36 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
While teams may have been shifting defenses his way, that still doesn't explain why he was fumbling/misplaying/etc. so many pucks in the first half. That has largely gone away and at about the same time his shot seems to be picking up some zip. I don't think those two things are unrelated. Count me in as one of those who believe he was/is injured.
I dont think any hand or wrist injury could cause him to fumble away pucks that bad. We have all watched a ton of hock and guys playing hurt. I think he has been simply lifting his head and looking to pass. And being defended tighter than ever before in all directions. I have theorized he has been tweaking the angle of his stick blade knowing he is adjusting his game and trying to learn to pass more. Teams play him to shoot, never to pass. There is something to exploit there.

The only reason I can think that Bruce refused to adjust his TOI or PP time was to mask the injury from opponents. But its only the regular season, so why bother. And the guy never gets a game off to wrest. So just how injured could he be, that he cant miss a game yet the injury is so obviously crippling his game.... Something doesnt add up.

We know his wrist was sore. Why then does he not fumble away pucks at Kettler and in pregame. Why is he cranking shots at practice. Again, another disconnect.

Old
03-14-2011, 11:47 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Maybe the cortizone shot did its trick, but if his injury was that bad, I dont see playing through it, healing it. The power of drugs I suppose. But the entire team stepped up their game right when he did. Timing of the shot, perhaps. I bet that wasnt his first shot. He wanted a shot on 247

The power of the playoffs remain. Our team knows better than anyone else the regular season is um more like preseason. I have never seen a team so obviously saving it up to be honest. The flip has been switched. If his wrist requires off season surgery, he is still injured yet you cant tell.

Old
03-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Mickstix

I think Ovi just suffered the same growing pains as the rest of the scoring forwards on the team.. Everyone stuggled, not just 8.. What I dont have is a reason why he was fanning on shots and fumbling the puck, but I guess it could be a number of things.. Looking to pass more (raising his head), new defense 1st scheme making him think more, scoring slump making him think more, injured wrist, who knows.. Just glad he's started turning it around in the 2nd half!! Hope he and Co. light it up after April 10th!!

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:03 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Something my dad has always said about the Caps of years past "they peak at the wrong time" - that has been in the back of my mind all year and you can go back through posts months ago that I keep saying the Caps were fine they havent peaked yet, now they are starting to peak - they havent quite found their offensive stride yet but they are starting to score enough to consistently win (which had been a problem for sure and to some degree still is). Hopefully they continue to get better from here on out.

I'm not sure on the Ovi injury debate, there seems to be hints and evidence and reading between the lines that say he was injured and he surely isnt the type of guy to shut it down for the season unless someone ties him down. He wants to score and play as much as possible (he doesnt care about the per game ratio). So I can see that side. I also don't think he got as ready as he could of this past offseason or the one before, but he's a continent and an ocean away most of the offseason so thats mostly hearsay.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 01:46 AM
Burgh32

So I read somewhere (yes, I'm rolling my own eyes at this) that Ovechkin said that he wouldn't play in the World Championships after the playoffs b/c of some injury - anyone know if there's any reality behind this?

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 07:58 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Someone would be hard pressed to make that stuff up Burgh. But if true, is it really crippling his game. The wide disparity between goals and assists is almost unprecedented for Ovi. Look at his career numbers, even back to his teenage years.

Goals > Assists is his thing

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471214

Now its assists > goals. If he can't do basic things like even holding the puck, how is he holding the puck well enough to keep racking up assists? Quick answer, he can't shoot so he has no choice. Well.... he does shoot, and is leading the league in shots. Yet you never see him wince when shooting. Two more disconnects.

Maybe opposition defensemen are tearing up his favorite part of the ice. I would.

Old
03-15-2011, 08:34 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

A definite maybe.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
I've heard rumors that Ovechkin was hurt before the season started as well as rumors that he hurt his hand in fighting Dubinsky in December.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:36 AM
txpd

i think seeing him wince when he shoots would be hard to see in most cases. right? he was hurting badly enough that he needed a cortisone shot. you hadnt seen him wince before that shot either, right?

the injury to his wrist is probably the injury in question. the number of uncharacteristic whiff and shanks and inability to stick handle would indicate late of range of motion and his lack of zip and accuracy on his shot indicates less strenth.

its been my view that the surgery to fix this injury would have required missing the Winter Classic and waiting til the winter class would have effected his playoffs. so he sucked it up. i may be wrong. probably am, but thats my feeling.

Old
03-15-2011, 08:43 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I've heard rumors that Ovechkin was hurt before the season started as well as rumors that he hurt his hand in fighting Dubinsky in December.
i'd say that both are possible. the cortisone shot was for the wrist, not the hand. however, if you watch the fight again, you will see that Ov starts throwing punches with one hand then switches to the other. the first hand was always open. the second hand was fisted. that tells me he couldnt make a fist with that hand.

Old
03-15-2011, 08:45 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I just dont see an injured wrist causing rumbling bumbling stumbling and fumbling of pucks. Tape it up. Done. I could see less zing on his shot, not getting fumbilitis.

About the Dubinsky tilt - I remember him now on 24/7 on the trainers table after that game, Bruce asking him if that was his first fight. I bet he is on the trainers table quite often though, but he was there after that fight. Good catch about the f-isting there TX, but it was his first official fight, a small sample size. Mellanby would through open handed punches FWIW.

Old
03-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

I dont think any hand or wrist injury could cause him to fumble away pucks that bad. We have all watched a ton of hock and guys playing hurt. I think he has been simply lifting his head and looking to pass. And being defended tighter than ever before in all directions. I have theorized he has been tweaking the angle of his stick blade knowing he is adjusting his game and trying to learn to pass more. Teams play him to shoot, never to pass. There is something to exploit there.

The only reason I can think that Bruce refused to adjust his TOI or PP time was to mask the injury from opponents. But its only the regular season, so why bother. And the guy never gets a game off to wrest. So just how injured could he be, that he cant miss a game yet the injury is so obviously crippling his game.... Something doesnt add up.

We know his wrist was sore. Why then does he not fumble away pucks at Kettler and in pregame. Why is he cranking shots at practice. Again, another disconnect.
I'm not quite sure what the frowny face was for, but it does seem to make sense that if he was hurt bad enough that it was causing his puckhandling to be so poor that they should have been resting it. I'm not a doctor or play one of TV but I've heard there are certain injuries that can't be aggravated by continuing to play through them so perhaps that was the case here. I know baseball players, especially pitchers, continue to throw throughout a season with pain and seem to show marked improvement after a cortisone shot.

I've never attended practice and I've only seen a shootaround once this season so I can't comment on how he's looked in those situations. If there was a noticeable difference in how he looked in comparison to his play during the games, I'd give more credence to the adjusted defensive coverage/flipping the playoff switch/poor offseason preparation angles.

Interesting thought on the change in his stick curve. That seems like something he could even change during the course of the game, depending on the score or how opponents are covering him.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:58 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

i have no idea where that frown came from lol

I just see him ramping up his game lately. Rounding into form. Either he needed a cortizone shot about 3 months ago, he healed, or was never injured enough to cause his issues. Or something else.