HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

JM Liles to the Leafs

Old
03-29-2011, 11:24 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
JM Liles to the Leafs

Taking a break from all the Stansty to the Leafs talk since I don't think that will happen (I do think we mya go after him but won't get him)

However Liles is a different Story there was talk of the Leafs and Avs getting close to a deal at the deadline that fell apart that would have seen Liles get shipped to the Leafs.

The deal did not get done at the deadline but it would not suprise me to see the two teams start talking again in the summer around the draft because Liles would go a long way to solving our PMD problems with 43 points on the year he's exactly what this team needs, somebody that can Generate offense on the backend and set up Phaneuf's one timer on the PP.

Really Liles is the perfct fit what do you think it will take to get get Liles fro the Avs in the summer?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:26 AM
mazzman17

i like liles and think he would be a good fit as well. but i doubt the leafs will trade for him at this point. i dont think they will use assets to acquire a guy when they can just sign a ufa.

mazzman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ

There are several UFA defensemen that fit our needs equally as well as Liles, why would we trade for Liles?

Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Fox View Post
There are several UFA defensemen that fit our needs equally as well as Liles, why would we trade for Liles?
because at 4.2 million he's cheaper then ost of the UFA d men will be

Old
03-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Megan Fox
ლ(◉◞౪◟◉ )ლ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
4.2 mil plus the assets it will take to acquire him.

Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:59 AM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Taking a break from all the Stansty to the Leafs talk since I don't think that will happen (I do think we mya go after him but won't get him)

However Liles is a different Story there was talk of the Leafs and Avs getting close to a deal at the deadline that fell apart that would have seen Liles get shipped to the Leafs.

The deal did not get done at the deadline but it would not suprise me to see the two teams start talking again in the summer around the draft because Liles would go a long way to solving our PMD problems with 43 points on the year he's exactly what this team needs, somebody that can Generate offense on the backend and set up Phaneuf's one timer on the PP.

Really Liles is the perfct fit what do you think it will take to get get Liles fro the Avs in the summer?
first, when the Avs are close to a deal you don't hear ****. You didn't hear about Andy, Stewie/Shatty, Hannan, etc. until it was done. That the Liles deal was in the media so much is a testament to 2 things -- that it makes sense on some level (Avs are looking cheap, Leafs need a PMD) and that Burke offered/wanted him. If it had been "close," there wouldn't have been a word spoken. it's just how the organization operates -- if word is leaked, the Avs kill the deal.

Liles plays quite good D, especially for his size, can PK, and is a brilliant PPQB. Those guys don't grow on trees, so one of those low 1sts is about right.

I still don't know that the Avs would spring for such a deal -- they'd struggle to hit the cap floor and they view Liles as an organizational stalwart. If they view him as a Hejduk "lifer," there's no chance. And don't forget that Liles has a limited NTC, where he names ~15 teams he'll accept a trade to every year. I wouldn't be sure Toronto is on that list.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Stories
Science!

I hope we don't move JML. He's our 2nd best d-man at a reasonable cap hit for what he brings. He's also a good guy and solid leader.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:07 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

This talk of acquiring Liles may have made sense approaching the deadline, but it doesn't now.

The Leafs might as well wait and see what is available come July 1st before moving out assets to acquire someone.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:21 PM
RogerRoeper*

There are PMD UFA's available July 1st. No sense in giving up assets for Liles.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Nihiliste

the avs need JML for next year unless they sign someone like pitkanen in the offseason. with foote retiring he's going to be our only veteran Dman next year. he's also our only PMD who has proven to be consistently effective, as cumiskey/hunwick have shown that they suck, and Elliot and Barrie if they make the team are still just prospects and therefore big question marks

as others are saying, leafs may as well just sign someone in the offseason, and the avs may as well just keep JML

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
I hope we don't move JML. He's our 2nd best d-man at a reasonable cap hit for what he brings. He's also a good guy and solid leader.
We should keep him for another year and trade him near the deadline or resign him. Hes definitely bounced back this year.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Man Bear Pig

The Avs can keep him. There are offensive d-men equal or better then Liles who likely come at around the same price but without giving up an asset. I just wouldn't see the point of dealing something like a First rounder+ when we could get a guy like Wisniewski who plays a similar style and role and who's younger as well.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

vCash: 50
If last summer was any indicator, most of the good UFA defensemen will be gone to teams that look like they will be contenders in the first days of free agency.

For the Leafs and Avs to get these players, they have to overpay by quite a bit.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 01:13 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
first, when the Avs are close to a deal you don't hear ****. You didn't hear about Andy, Stewie/Shatty, Hannan, etc. until it was done. That the Liles deal was in the media so much is a testament to 2 things -- that it makes sense on some level (Avs are looking cheap, Leafs need a PMD) and that Burke offered/wanted him. If it had been "close," there wouldn't have been a word spoken. it's just how the organization operates -- if word is leaked, the Avs kill the deal.

Liles plays quite good D, especially for his size, can PK, and is a brilliant PPQB. Those guys don't grow on trees, so one of those low 1sts is about right.

I still don't know that the Avs would spring for such a deal -- they'd struggle to hit the cap floor and they view Liles as an organizational stalwart. If they view him as a Hejduk "lifer," there's no chance. And don't forget that Liles has a limited NTC, where he names ~15 teams he'll accept a trade to every year. I wouldn't be sure Toronto is on that list.
I thought it was 10? Besides that we must have been on that list otherwise why would the avs and Leafs even have been talking about Liles? whats the point if we weren't on the list? the fact that the teams even talked about Liles is an indication to me that he would accept a trade to the Leafs.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:14 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
The Avs can keep him. There are offensive d-men equal or better then Liles who likely come at around the same price but without giving up an asset. I just wouldn't see the point of dealing something like a First rounder+ when we could get a guy like Wisniewski who plays a similar style and role and who's younger as well.
he will cost a million more?

Old
03-29-2011, 01:26 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Just go for Bieksa, Hannan, or any number of the UFA blueliners that will be available that are bigger and better than JML.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

vCash: 7757
Quote:
I thought it was 10? Besides that we must have been on that list otherwise why would the avs and Leafs even have been talking about Liles? whats the point if we weren't on the list? the fact that the teams even talked about Liles is an indication to me that he would accept a trade to the Leafs.
After the trade deadline passed, it was said (in Colorado) that Liles was never even approached about waiving.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 01:55 PM
BrickAHL
No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Just go for Bieksa, Hannan, or any number of the UFA blueliners that will be available that are bigger and better than JML.
Bieksa and Hannan better than JML?

Bieksa and Hannan are PMD?

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
he will cost a million more?
Wiznewski is not getting 5.2M. More like a 4M contract. Anything more is overpayment.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Do you think Wisniewski or Bieksa are going to cost more than that?

Because you'd likely land one of these guys. Wisniewski is worth about $4.25M/year, Bieksa I don't know much.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Stories
Science!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Do you think Wisniewski or Bieksa are going to cost more than that?

Because you'd likely land one of these guys. Wisniewski is worth about $4.25M/year, Bieksa I don't know much.
While those guys play like each other, they don't resemble Liles even one bit. Both Wiz and Bieksa make a living on hard point shots and getting them through. Wiz is a better passer than Bieksa and significantly better skater. Bieksa is better positional defensively (not a ton) and both are tough hombres. But both have been chided for poor decision making and playing with an edge.

Liles is a small guy who isn't physical at all, and uses his speed in all facets of the game. He's not bad defensively, but gets handled by bigger players. He is a rover in the offensive zone and is an excellent passer. He has an okay shot, but it's nothing to write home about. His best ability is to read the play. His biggest weakness is his size, and that's something he'll never be able to overcome. He's listed at 5'10" and 185lbs. He's probably closer to 5'8" and 170lbs.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 07:47 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Liles

for

Scheen
1st (BOS)

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 07:56 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Liles

for

Scheen
1st (BOS)
You're joking, right?

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 08:33 PM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

Fun fact- Liles has 520 games played, all for the Avs. He just recently moved past Stephane Yelle (516) for 5th place in all time games played with the team. Hejduk, Sakic, Foote, and Forsberg are the guys ahead of him. He's been loyal to the team, and never came out and complained about how he's allegedly moving every trade deadline. I doubt I speak for all Avs fans here, but I think he's at the point where he should control his destiny. If he wants out, he can request a trade, but if he was extended an offer like Hejduk or Foote, basically telling him that he won't be traded, well I wouldn't object. I could see him getting the captaincy next year. (Though I imagine he's a dark horse in that race.) Liles is a good guy, and worth a lot to the Avs.

Hypothetically, if Liles was traded, it would be for another defender-- him leaving would leave us really, really, REALLY thin on the blue line. Or in a package for a number one goalie. Though I said the same thing about Hannan. Knowing Colorado, we'll trade him for another speedy center who's on the outs with his current team.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 08:42 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

have you seen any avs games recently? you don't want a dman from that blueline

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote