HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 MLB / Montreal Expos Thread (June 2012 - A Rally for the Expos)

Old
07-27-2011, 09:26 AM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy37 View Post
I personally talked with Bob Dupuis in very early September of 2003 about staying in Montreal. The 'spos were 2 or 3 games back of the Marlins at the time (still pisses me off that Loria/Samson @$$holes got a world series) and they had just had that most amazing series against the Philies at the Big Owe (remember that 8 run deficit game - read http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=230826120 for some awesome memories). Attendance at that series was only OK for a team in the thick of the wildcard. Bob told me that despite all the publicity around the team and the earlier attempt at contraction, MLB was having a tough time selling the team. They were begging people in Montreal to buy the team and absolutely would have sold it just to be rid of MLB's ownership, which was turning out to be a huge headache. They received 0 interest, no one entity stood up and even expressed any desire to keep the team. Do you really think they are going to turn around any time in the near future and somehow forget all that?
Our billionaires suck.

Notice how Gilette was able to buy the Habs and the Molson Center for ~200 million. That was the highest bid. What a joke.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:13 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Well here is my take on the situation:

Lots of things changed since the team left in 2004. The CDN dollar is now worth more than than the USD and per economist it won't change for a long long time.

MLB needs to add 2 expansion teams to make 2 even leagues to stop with interleague play.

A stadium next to the Bell Centre or near le Vieux Port would be ideal. An owner who will not treat Montreal as a small market. It's the freaking 8th biggest metropolitan area in North America simonac.

Could it happen? Yes if lots of things go right.

Do I believe it will happen? No. Not yet actualy.

As for someone saying MLB does not want to have anything to do with Montreal anymore. A big LOL for you guys. MLB is there if money can be made especially in a big market like Montreal with a brand new state of the art stadium. Even Selig, who I hate with a passion, said if a stadium was built back then the team would have stayed in Montreal.

Get an MLB a stadium and a deep pocket owner and they will award an epansion team to Montreal. No other city currently not in MLB is near as big as Montreal.

PS: They went back to Washington for a 3rd time just because they had a guaranteed new stadium. It's not uncommon.

Last edited by HH: 07-27-2011 at 10:20 AM.
HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
So.. who else saw the Braves/Pirates highlights last night? What a blown call.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:30 AM
pine

vCash: 50

bs

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:55 AM
yoteshot

Guess the referee was tired and wanted the game to end...

Still, horrible call.

yoteshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:40 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

That's just horrible.

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:52 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Today is the 20th anniversary of the perfect match by Martinez..ahhh memories

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:57 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

By the way, the Nats honored a former Expo yesterday, before a home game

But correct me if Im wrong :-)

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:32 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
By the way, the Nats honored a former Expo yesterday, before a home game

But correct me if Im wrong :-)
They honored former Expos broadcaster Dave Van Horne, who was inducted in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Now I really hope Jacques Doucet gets in. It's a travesty he's not already in Cooperstown. Not only was he a great broadcaster for so many years, he also translated the game of baseball into French.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:30 PM
penaltykiller

I met Jacques Doucet in Quebec city before a Capitales' game. He autographed my game program and he spoke to several fans. He really deserves to be in Cooperstown. Is there anything we can do to wake up Major league baseball ?

penaltykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:42 PM
walsy37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Skinner View Post
They honored former Expos broadcaster Dave Van Horne, who was inducted in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Now I really hope Jacques Doucet gets in. It's a travesty he's not already in Cooperstown. Not only was he a great broadcaster for so many years, he also translated the game of baseball into French.
It's not just that he translated - baseball had not been broadcast in French commercially ever. He coined an entire set of phrases and lingo that was not in existence. If that doesn't qualify for the builder's section and I don't know what does.

I hate that Washington even pays the Montreal years lip service. When (if) Montreal gets a team back, I want our history back.

Please come back soon.

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:54 PM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
I was at that 8 runs comeback and it is definitely my best live sport memory ever.
I was an Expos fan my entire life, and the 8-run game was great. But I think the Curtis Pride game in '93 would have been the one live game I wished I had been at.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:02 PM
penaltykiller

What happened ? I am too young to remember...

I know he was a deaf pinch hitter but i am not sure of anything else.

penaltykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:57 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Skinner View Post

Ah ok

Thanks

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:58 PM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by penaltykiller View Post
What happened ? I am too young to remember...

I know he was a deaf pinch hitter but i am not sure of anything else.
It was incredible to watch on TV, but the recap of the game after still chokes me up a bit.

http://lafargue.tripod.com/pride.htm

Curt Pride was startled when Montreal Expos manager Felipe Alou yelled out his name. The Philadelphia Phillies were leading Montreal 7-4 in the seventh inning. With one out and two runners on base, Pride thought Alou would send in a more experienced pinch hitter. But Alou was calling him.

In his first time at bat a few days before, Pride had driven the ball deep to right. "I can hit Major League pitching!" he told his parents. Now his old friend Steve Grupe was in the stands to watch him play, and his new team was depending on him.

Bobby Thigpen, the Phillies' flame throwing relief pitcher, was on the mound. As Pride gripped the bat, Thigpen fired a hard slider. Pride waited; then at the last moment his bat exploded across the plate. The ball shot like a bullet between the outfielders and bounced all the way to the wall.

Racing around first, Pride slid into second in a cloud of dust. Safe! Both runners scored! In the stands, Steve Grupe leapt up, pummeled the air with his fists and whooped.

Excited, Pride looked to third-base coach Jerry Manuel to see if he had the green light to steal on the next pitch. But Manuel was motioning to the stands. Pride looked up. All 45,000 fans were on their feet, stamping and cheering.

As Pride stood, frozen, the thunderous ovation continued. Manuel, tears welling in his eyes, motioned for Curt to doff his cap.

Then, as the stamping and cheering reached crescendo, something incredible happened. It started as a vibrating rumble, then grew more intense until, for the first time in his life, Curt Pride actually heard people cheering for him. The silent curtain that had separated him from his dream had parted.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 06:56 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy37 View Post
I personally talked with Bob Dupuis in very early September of 2003 about staying in Montreal. The 'spos were 2 or 3 games back of the Marlins at the time (still pisses me off that Loria/Samson @$$holes got a world series) and they had just had that most amazing series against the Philies at the Big Owe (remember that 8 run deficit game - read http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=230826120 for some awesome memories). Attendance at that series was only OK for a team in the thick of the wildcard. Bob told me that despite all the publicity around the team and the earlier attempt at contraction, MLB was having a tough time selling the team. They were begging people in Montreal to buy the team and absolutely would have sold it just to be rid of MLB's ownership, which was turning out to be a huge headache. They received 0 interest, no one entity stood up and even expressed any desire to keep the team. Do you really think they are going to turn around any time in the near future and somehow forget all that?
Bob Dupuy never said a thing that could be mistaken for the truth so why would he start while speaking to you?
MLB paid peanuts for the Spos in a deal that saw Loria acquire the Marlins and John Henry acquire the Red Sox. It was an accommodation and they knew from day one they were moving the franchise to Waashington since it was a long known and stated goal of Selig to have the American national pasttime in the national capital. Anything else Dupuy said was garbage. There was a plan by MLB to divest the DC taxpayers of their tax dollars by obtaining a free stadium which they succeeded to do and that was the delay. There was never any question of MLB selling the team back to a group led by Bronfman with no free stadium when they could make hundreds of millions creating a hype around DC. They made a fortune that easily offset the cost of operating the franchise for the short time they had the Spos. They ran the team on a shoe string budget with no September call ups in a wild card race to completely destroy any hope of their remaining in Montreal.
You could blame corporate support, which I regard as the number one reason for losing the Spos, for a good many things but Dupuy is full of **** saying MLB actively tried to find an owner in Montreal. They did the complete opposite.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:15 AM
BoNeS42

Take it with a grain of salt, I'm hearing Saputo is the group working on this.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:50 AM
D3nZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNeS42 View Post
Take it with a grain of salt, I'm hearing Saputo is the group working on this.
Just heard or did you see it written somewhere? I would be at the first pitch for sure. They would need to put them in the AL with Toronto though. Or best scenario, maybe bring Toronto in the NL. Better rivalry.

D3nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

Reports are coming in that Hideki Irabu was found dead near LA. Police are investigating it as a possible suicide.

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

The 9th inning of Dennis Martinez's perfect game... lots of memories there.

http://www.rds.ca/zv2/index.html?video=55438

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 04:28 PM
BoNeS42

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nZ View Post
Just heard or did you see it written somewhere? I would be at the first pitch for sure. They would need to put them in the AL with Toronto though. Or best scenario, maybe bring Toronto in the NL. Better rivalry.
Heard from co-worker that has familly in the Saputo. Like I said, take it with a grain of salt.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 04:32 PM
windycity

I pretty much stopped watching baseball after the Expos moved. Went to 1 game at Jarry when I was 6 or 7 - I remember Rusty Staub at first with his orange hair that's about it (saw the Montreal Olympiques soccer team play there too once). First started really watching in 78 and then was a pretty avid fan though the early 90s.

Was even at Blue Monday, 3rd base side on the lower tier . . . was actually reaching down for my Coke when Monday hit it, heard it before I saw it and prayed it was going foul - looked up to see Dawson just standing there, her didn't even move . . .

Would love to see the Spos come home.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 12:01 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

OT ; expos gear

it's me or we see more and more of those thing..(Expos cap are back!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2DMPNtPK84

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 12:06 AM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
it's me or we see more and more of those thing..(Expos cap are back!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2DMPNtPK84
Went to watch the UFC yeaterday at a bar and a waitress was rocking the Expos hat. Keep in mind i am in vancouver. Sweet cap though.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

yep, they are very nice

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote